Community MMOs and not so MMOs news, updates, and discussions | Ain't nobody got time for that?

MMO role that defines you

• Total voters

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Was very weird yesterday. Got in immediately after work, then stopped after I did the "Glorious Wall" story dungeon (which, btw, was incredible spectacle, damn) then logged out and when I wanted to get back a bit later I couldn't even get into the queue multiple times but then it worked and I got into a 2k queue.

Also, I unlocked the Stronghold! There's a lot stuff to do there, lol. It's also the first thing (alongside gathering) that feels a bit F2P-ish - where you have specific energy that refreshes over time and the crafting stuff has lots of timers for its stuff. Though interestingly I looked at what you get from the paid subscription bonuses and it doesn't look completely gamechanging, which feels nice. A bit faster energy regen, 10% faster timers, etc.
I don't really mind steady daily progression though (definitely got used to that with Genshin, lol).

Reactions: thekeats1999

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I refuse to play a game that has a bard class but only allows you to play it with a female character. Everyone knows the best bards are pansexual himbos.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I refuse to play a game that has a bard class but only allows you to play it with a female character. Everyone knows the best bards are pansexual himbos.
The gender locking is bloody awful... they teased a female Berserker, maybe they'll fix that in time?
Or it's just more class variations reusing names... their system is just weird and confusing for no reason.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I think they're working on gender-unlocking the classes, but I don't actually know.

Anyway, talking about classes: I saw this video about classes that are out but we don't have yet.

Boy. They look fantastic.
I'm particularly sold on the Lance Master, Scouter (exosuit + space ship bombardment? helly fucking yeah) and Artist (these Ink effects look amazing).

• Love

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
The gender locking is bloody awful... they teased a female Berserker, maybe they'll fix that in time?
Or it's just more class variations reusing names... their system is just weird and confusing for no reason.
Yeah, I hate it. It's weird that Martial Artist and Gunner aren't gender-locked, but their subclasses are? It's an odd choice.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
I'm Gethel, also made a char on Sceptrum if I ever swap to that server, also inviting Line to the Group Chat

Reactions: Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Man I can't wait until they sort out the server situation.
Been getting into the game immediately without a queue after work, tried again now, 8700 queue. That was it for today then.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
8831 in front of me, it's getting worse with time!

Anyway, did the battle for Castle Luterra this morning, that was amazing, the levelling needed more moments like this. Even though the story is dumb as bricks, at least it's hype.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
yeah I did it yday it was fun, only 205 in front of me, almost in

I just wish armen and the king would let me kill a boss for good...

---------------
lmao

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Queues have been great for me the last two days. No queue at all. Launch game, double click Sceptrum, click Launch and i'm in.
Loving it after the weekend of 3+ hour queues.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Last couple of nights it's been 8000 long queues and unfortunately to late at night for me to outwait the queue.

Tonight is a bigger struggle. Lost Ark or Total Warhammer 3.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
EdwardTivrusky I think you wanted to put that into the VTuber thread :D

Last couple of nights it's been 8000 long queues and unfortunately to late at night for me to outwait the queue.

Tonight is a bigger struggle. Lost Ark or Total Warhammer 3.
I don't think the queue situation will be better today...
If you can get in the game within the next ~2.5 hours I'm pretty sure there won't be a queue on Sceptrum, at least from recent experience, but probably not that long afterwards it fills up.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
EdwardTivrusky

I don't think the queue situation will be better today...
If you can get in the game within the next ~2.5 hours I'm pretty sure there won't be a queue on Sceptrum, at least from recent experience, but probably not that long afterwards it fills up.
Yeah. Shouldn't be too much of a problem tonight. I should be logging in around 3 hours time. Once I get home from work.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
The new Europe region is online. Let's see if it helps.

We're also getting some free goodies:

• Vehicle Selection Chest (choice of either mount)
    • Terpeion
    • Terpeion of the Shadow
  • Midsummer Night’s Dream Instrument Skin Selection Chest
  • Healing Battle Item Chest x10
  • Offensive Battle Item Chest x10
  • Legendary Rapport Selection Chest x3
  • Weekly Trade Potions Pack (1 Leap's Essence and 9 Minor Life Energy Potion)
  • Phoenix Plume x20

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I'm gonna stay put in Sceptrum for the moment. Hopefully i don't end up being the only eng speaker in an eastern europe/scandi server lol.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Not much of a reason to move now, seems like the serer isn't the most congested either.
Can't say I've seen much of anything but English in general chat, which was also... pretty tame. Except maybe right before maintenance people being horny in chat.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
It's mainly english but you do get chunks of german, polish and a bit of french and what i assume is a scandanavian language now and then in area chat.

--------

bye
Sep 20, 2018

Finished most of my exams, so I finally made a char (gunslinger) - the starting armour is really ugly, so I hope I can get something like what is shown in the character creator soon enough. Image quality is also kinda rough at 1080p - do I just have to downsample or are there some other tricks I can try?

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Image quality is also kinda rough at 1080p - do I just have to downsample or are there some other tricks I can try?
It looks really good downsampled. Don't know if there's much else you could do.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018

Finished most of my exams, so I finally made a char (gunslinger) - the starting armour is really ugly, so I hope I can get something like what is shown in the character creator soon enough. Image quality is also kinda rough at 1080p - do I just have to downsample or are there some other tricks I can try?
Skin wise, the game is a colossal disappointment, you barely get new gear skins during levelling. And everyone gets the same endgame sets. And there's almost nothing in the cash shop (which wouldn't be a good solution anyway).

Anyway, I haven't reached 50 yet, but I've seen pretty much all the skills and the builds I can make out of them with Wardancer.
Now all that's left is dog shit story, and an insane grind for enhancements that I really don't care about, FF14-like stat sticks are not for me, I want meaningful progression in my MMOs, and getting no loot at all and nothing interesting, ever?
Not for me.

So... I guess that's about it, I never expected to stay forever, but the absolute dredge of levelling and an endgame that is even worse made me stop. You can't live with good combat and hideous everything else, I don't care about filling up a checklist anymore.

It always come down to progression, and MMO is the genre that sabotaged itself the most.
Sad that it spread that shit everywhere too...

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
A more detailed list of the Endwalker patch content, stolen from NoisyPixel because I wasn't staying up until the early hours of the morning.

Tl;DR Hildebrand is getting a new quest line to run from 6.1 to 6.5, Trust System is being expanded into ARR, Heavensward and Stormblood (this will mean the story should be able to run solo completely), New story sidequest line featuring Tataru, Hrothgar get new hairstyles (probably as bad as the 3 new styles Viera got access to, shut up I'm not bitter about that) and Island Sanctuary's not coming till the end of this year (BOOOOOOO, I wanted to see more on this one).

But here we go:-

“Continuing to provide regular updates on an appropriate schedule!”
  • Patch 6.1 is currently slated for April and will include:
    • Myths of the Realm Part 1 (Alliance raid)
    • Crystalline Conflict (new PvP mode)
      • New Calling Card-style UI for PvP
    • Arkasodara tribe quests/dailies
    • Dragonsong’s Reprise (new Ultimate duty)
    • Ultima’s Bane (Unreal Trial)
    • Ishgard housing (Empyreum)
    • Trust system for Patch 2.0 main scenario dungeons
    • New hairstyles for Hrothgar
    • Custom deliveries: Ameliance
    • Updates to the glamour system
    • New trials and other assorted updates
    • More details will be coming in the next Live Letter on March 4th.
  • Patch 6.2 Planned Major Updates:
    • Trust system for Patch 2.x main scenario dungeons and a small number of Heavensward main scenario dungeons.
    • New weapon enhancements
    • New “Criterion” dungeon with variable difficulty for 1-4 players.
      • Details are currently scarce, but the dungeons can be entered with anywhere between one and four people and will scale in difficulty based on the number of players.
    • “Island Sanctuary” feature added
    • Next Pandaemonium tier, Faux Hollows, other trials, and more
  • Patch 6.3 Planned Major Updates:
    • Trust system for all Heavensward main scenario dungeons
    • New “Deep Dungeon”
    • Ultimate Duty #5
    • Island Sanctuary Update
  • Patch 6.4/6.5 Planned Major Updates
    • Trust system implementation for all Stormblood main scenario dungeons
    • Criterion dungeons #2 and #3
    • Additional area for Island Sanctuary
    • Gold Saucer updates
    • Conclusion to Pandaemonium, “further” Myths of the Realm, Faux Hollows, other trials, and more
  • The Hildibrand questline will continue in Patch 6.1-6.5, and a new “Tataru’s Grand Endeavor” sidequest series will be created.
  • A level cap increase for Blue Mage is currently being planned but has no release window as of this time.
  • The major patch cycle is being extended from a major patch every ~3.5 months to every ~4 months.
  • Data Center Travel is currently being planned for Patch 6.18
And for the future (again stolen from NoisyPixel)

• “Preparing for years of service to come: FFXIV’s first graphical update”
    • “Planned for implementation in Patch 7.0”
      • Development and preparation will be ongoing until the subsequent expansion releases.
      • The team is aiming for a more current aesthetic appeal “suited to a more multiplayer environment,” however the new graphics will not be comparable to recent stand-alone titles such as Horizon Forbidden West.
      • Animation and lighting system updates are being planned.
        • Patch 7.0 will change the minimum operating specs but will try to accommodate as broad a range of hardware specs as possible.
        • Patch 7.0 will still be compatible with the PlayStation 4. The team is currently considering a Performance/Graphics mode toggle.
      • Character appearance updates:
        • Higher-resolution textures for hair, skin, gear, etc.
          • More and better auto-generated greenery.
        • Improved material qualities for skin, metal, fabric, etc. (shaders)
        • Better lighting and shadow effects, especially for players’ shadows.
          • Additional lighting points for improved depth/immersion.
          • Higher-resolution shadows with increased movement and decreased flickering.
        • Overall appearance of player characters will be altered as little as possible, and improvements will be applied to old NPCs where possible from Patch 7.0 onward.
          • NPCs who share “parts” with player character creation will be updated when the player character models are updated, as a matter of necessity.
          • The team clarified that they can not implement a solution to clipping issues, as it would require a physics engine that would create massive problems for the game client as it currently exists.
I am taking a minor break from FFXIV at the mo' while I have a play around with Lost Ark and Total Warhammer 3.

Yeah, I must say that I have been so far disappointed in the Glamours in Lost Ark (no joking this is the most likely thing to make me drop the game). So far I have found 3 different types of tops which haven't been too bad. But so far 2 variants of hotpants. Frankly I want something (excuse the crudity) that comes down past her ass cheeks. In fact I would kill for a pair of trousers for my gunslinger.

Anyway, unlocked the crafting systems (at least mining, fishing and gathering so far) and as with everything else the tutorials where ass. It took me 5-10 minutes to realise that fishing wasnt pressing G in the fishing spot (that is for trap fishing apparently) but my hotbar button. Obvious I know but it was 6 new icons dropped on the hotbar tab.

This game is basically a beautiful horrible mess with an absolutely amazing combat system that even after close to 20 hours I am not bored of yet. Hell I am about to log in and I am already planning on my second and third character (apparently four characters is recommended for the Stronghold system, but not got that far yet).

• Evil
Reactions: Ascheroth

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I ran one of the Endwalker dungeons with the trust system and it is extremely competant but a little bit slow.

For example tanks won't pull wall to wall and I don't think I have seen an NPC use an AOE. However they know the mechanics so tend to dodge well enough. Also they chatter to each other so can be fun, especially as I ran it with Emet Selch, Venat and Hydophaelous which made it even cooler.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I don't need the AI to be amazing and super-high guild tactics level i just want it to enable me to run the MSQ dungeon so i can get more confident and join groups or just continue to enjoy the game solo like i'm doing with Lost Ark. So this Trust System expansion is good news for me.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I don't need the AI to be amazing and super-high guild tactics level i just want it to enable me to run the MSQ dungeon so i can get more confident and join groups or just continue to enjoy the game solo like i'm doing with Lost Ark. So this Trust System expansion is good news for me.
From my limited experience they work well and do the job. Now the only downside is that if you die and you alone it is a wipe. Healers don't even get a chance to res you. This is the only bit that doesn't run like a normal dungeon.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
created my own guild in lost ark, every guild I joined kept having members going permanently offline forvever, if I have to stay in a dead guild might as well be my own

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I'm still in the FC i joined in FFXIV where i've never spoken to the FC Leader, lol.
There were 3 of us but the other person left and i haven't played for 18 months at least but when i check in the app i'm still listed as a member.
I even saw someone with the tag once and we emoted at each other then ran our seperate ways.

I need to login to Lost Ark and see if my missing items have been restored. there seems to have been a massive fuck-up rolling out the extra founder's packs as me and a ton of other people have had our ingame product inventories wiped. Someone said it's related to the store being down so i have my fingers crossed.

I had my active Crystal Aura back when i last checked at 2am but i'm still missing Gold Member's Pack, 30 day Crystal Aura & LoLA Gold hoverboard that were in my chest and any extra gifts they were rolling out.

edit: Checking the forum it looks like they've proper fucked the EU Central servers and Product Inventories. FFS Bezos, fix this shit.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I am in a guild that a friend formed for Lost Ark. Still waiting for the new status to drop (should be later today) so I can start doing some of the tasks.

I was in a guild for XIV for a while. Then all the more active players upped and started a new guild leaving myself, a friend and a couple of others there. Dropped out in the end. I could really do with a guild or at least a regular group to help me learn to tank properly.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Whew, got some good amount of gaming done in Lost Ark this weekend so gar.
Finished the Luterra storyline and got my ship, then went on to Tortoyk island to continue the main story there. (It looks like a lot of islands have a item level requirement that I don't quite meet yet, so I figured I'd do the main story first. I think once you hit level 50 you'll naturally hit that item level and thinks should open up properly a it ).

The Tortoyk story was really fun. A very cool standalone story with some impressive as hell setpieces again. God this game looks so good.
I'm level 45 now, so I'll probaby hit 50 sometime during the next week.
Queues have been a lot better this weekend too, so the new region did help. Matchmaking is apparently still borked though, as is the cash shop/crystal aura stuff apparently.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
I'm a little bit behind i'm on tortoyk and if this is anything to go by the story is still long

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
My account went tits up yesterday and it's not looking like naything will be fixed until the 24th with a client patch. Hopefully i'll get my items and aura back when the issue connecting to the shop is fixed.

It's the typical story of i was fine until i wasn't. It's a shambles. I think they really cheaped out on the server hardware and allocation for Europe.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
The visual upgrade in FF14 looks nice, but I'd hope for some better IQ. The image quality is very bad in that game (and all other MMOs ever, really, I wonder why) and you need to downsample to get anything clean.

Adding the bots to all dungeons makes sense... but I will always find it pretty sad that MMOs can only do it like this, just remove the need to post even once in chat for 500h instead of making old content relevant for everyone. Though to be honest in FF14, content is not even relevant while it's at your level, you only do it for tokens... and the occasional mount.

Progression, progression, progression.
Or lack thereof.
Hard to care about the genre that's the reason I'm even on meta nowadays... sad state for MMOs.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
As for FF XIV graphical update, I wish they updated the character animations. Modern MMO's let you move bottom and upper body parts independently, for example, you can move and attack at the same time and the character animation can reflect that. In FF XIV when you do certain attacks and move, your character slides. That was the thing that completely turned me off from that game, I could not stand it.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
Bless steam forums/guides

anyway the fact that I have an energy bar to farm things has put a damper on my fun, my favourite stuff to do when I quit raiding in wow for years was playing the auction house, but I also found farming stuff for hours sort of relaxing in way, here I cannot do that and it's kinda meh

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Unfortunately that is where I may bounce of Lost Ark. With energy bars and timers starting to slowly creep in the nastier side of F2P is starting to rear it's ugly head. Which is a shame as the game is a lot of fun. Hopefully the F2P side doesn't detract to much from the rest of the game. So far they aren't "TOO" distracting.

The annoying thing is I would happily pay a sub to get rid of those timers and treat it more like a standard MMO. Hell I have been paying a sub for FFXIV for the last year and I would say that looking at the upcoming content I will probably be paying for at least the next year, but most likely till the next expansion.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
that's mostly a me problem I think, unless you enjoy farming as I do to relax sometimes you should have no issues

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
logging in during the evening instead of like 3 hours earlier wasn't a good decision, crystalline aura is gone, I'm having a lot of fun on lost ark but this is kinda getting to me

edit: apparently the aura is back but my crystals are zero now what the fuck?

Last edited:
  • This!

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Hopefully the upcoming patch on the 24th? will help solve these issues. Apparently all these issues are all related to the Store Server collapsing under the weight of requests.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019

bit of a nothing burger imho except this bit, looks like in korea they implemented server transfer succesfully, so hopefully it'll make it across sooner rather than later

Server Transfer Functionality
We definitely hear the request for server transfer functionality and have thoroughly investigated our options. This instant functionality does not currently exist in Lost Ark. This service just rolled out in Korea and is a weekly batch process that requires maintenance to run. It also does not support cross region functionality. Therefore, unfortunately, it is not a viable option at this point for the western version— but we will not rest until we’ve exhausted all options.