Community Movies/Shows you have seen recently or looking forward to...

zonk

Mar 29, 2019

This is looking like a good time with a great cast! Netflix showing up with some really good stuff lately :)

Reactions: yuraya

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
friend you should watch The Good Place then if you havent
I did watch it before! But fell of it in the middle of second season I think, not because I thought it was bad but I fell of TV series completely. Contrasting with Upload, upload takes more place in a real world and doesn't go really that deep with philosophical questions;

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
It looks like HBO Max is dead on arrival:

Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.

zonk

Mar 29, 2019
I've kind of set myself up for a series spree. After hearing good things about devs, Never Have I Ever and Outer Banks, Im one ep into all of these and they seem to be worth watching. Then I also saw, that The 100 S7 is about to start on Thursday next week and I still have to watch several ones from the old season, so I gotta get that going. Rick & Morty continued (only 1 ep so far) and Killing Eve is continuing where it left off, really strong! Lots and lots of series to watch.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I saw the Clone Wars S7's final episode.
Damn. Just... Damn.

The cinematography was bonkers, the pacing and soundtrack amazing. From the moment of dread as they realize they are falling from orbit to the heart-breaking sadness of Rex at what is happening, and how he knows they can't be reasoned with. This is light-years above this season's beginning.

What a series of wham episodes. That's how you do Order 66 justice.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Just finished the first season of Hannibal, great stuff. That first scene of season 2 is amazing, great way to set up the new season.

Reactions: yuraya

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Heard so many good things about the show Killing Eve over the past year or so. Binged the first season this past week and...

Very rarely you see a show where every character is likeable. So many funny moments and pacing was 5 stars. The show reminded me a lot of Barry which is another amazing show in recent years. Its kind of a similar style just a bit more serious and very European instead. Strongly recommend it to anyone who hasn't watched it. Just an amazing season from start to finish and I can't wait to watch the next one.

zonk

Mar 29, 2019
Heard so many good things about the show Killing Eve over the past year or so. Binged the first season this past week and...

Very rarely you see a show where every character is likeable. So many funny moments and pacing was 5 stars. The show reminded me a lot of Barry which is another amazing show in recent years. Its kind of a similar style just a bit more serious and very European instead. Strongly recommend it to anyone who hasn't watched it. Just an amazing season from start to finish and I can't wait to watch the next one.
Indeed a very good show! It just keeps delivering :) Season 03 is getting episode 6 tomorrow and there are 2 more to go after that. So if you keep up that pace, you can watch the season finale with everyone else :D

Reactions: yuraya and Pommes

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I'm watching The Americans again and this show is just SO good. Definitely in my top 5 (maybe even top 3) shows ever.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I've finally gotten around to watching Elemental, the Sherlock Holmes series with Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu and it's not bad. It's so not bad that i've been binge watching 2 or 3 episodes at a time. As with most shows like this most episodes are kind of written to a template yet i'm a little bit hooked.

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
now that HBO Max has launched (im getting it through cable) i can finally check out Doom Patrol.

i hope the rest of the dcu shows move over eventually too

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Stuff we've watched recently:

Grimm all six season - Light and fluffy x-files like, good fun.
Upload Season 1 - Really good but let down by poor actors, only the woman who plays the main character's "Angel" is any good and should go further from here.
Solar Opposites Season 1 - Ricky and Morty on earth. The tiny people in the wall are more interesting than the mains.
Hannibal Season 1 and 2 - Need a break after the s2 finale! One of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen.
Started Heroes - Save the cheerleader!

Reactions: Stevey

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I've watched the first season of Travellers on Netflix. Some parts could have been better, but in general I liked it a lot.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Watched the second season of Killing Eve and another really good season. I love how the ending was similar to season 1 ending. What a great show. Now I've got to figure out how to watch season 3 since its on a long delay with Hulu :(

Also watched that season of The Purge and what an awful show that turned out to be. I think like 2 out of the 10 episodes were decent. The rest were just stretched to go nowhere. There weren't any familiar actors on it too. I think William Baldwin was the only one I recognized and he was terrible in it. Some of the story angles and premise in the show was dumb too. Like a bus full of girls driving around wanting to kill themselves for some cause. Or a Rodeo/Carnival were people were auctioned off. It was just stupid. I'll give them a little pass since supposedly the purge was going on for decades in this timeline so things would be that crazy. But still they could have put together a more interesting/realistic effort. An all around waste that I can't recommend to anyone. Much better off just rewatching the first 2 films instead of this boring show.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Started watching Red Dwarf and it's bloody fantastic! I watched it on and off back in the day when we could get an English channel on satellite but I don't remember anything. Never watched it again when it started to get cult hype. But yeah only two episodes in and loving it.

Reactions: Stevey and Tizoc

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Started watching Red Dwarf and it's bloody fantastic! I watched it on and off back in the day when we could get an English channel on satellite but I don't remember anything. Never watched it again when it started to get cult hype. But yeah only two episodes in and loving it.
Red Dwarf is great. Series 1 and 2 stand out for being able to convey a plot with minimal characters and manage to keep it entertaining.
For these 2 series they attempted to keep things more grouneded with as little sci fi as possible.
From Series 3 onwards, however, it incorporates various sci fi themes but still manages to be great.
Just keep in mind:
Series 1 to 6: Peak of the series (Slow down the reel at the start of Ep. 1 of Series 3 to find out what happens in between 2 and the start of 3)
Series 7 to 9: The weaker parts of the series
Series X onwards: Good but not as good as the originals

Reactions: Le Pertti

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

I haven't had time to watch it yet but a LOTR cast reunion is a win in my book :).

My god, I'm barely halfway in and I'm roaring with laughter. If you like LOTR, if you've religiously watched the making-ofs and love everything about these movies, I can't recommend strongly enough that you watch this. This is a bit of the magic reignited.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Wonder what it'd be like to experience Clone Wars series without ever having watched the prequel trilogy.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Anyone watched Mr. Iglesias on netflix? Seems like a light humorous series and I could do with one like that right about now ^^;

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I didn't know this existed:

I didn't know it was thing either, but am hyped. Keep the theme and get someone with the same straight faced, almost-man in black air about the them as Robert Stack or it just won't work.

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
finished the first season of Doom Patrol and it was one of the weirdest shows ive seen in a while. cant wait for s2!

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Tizoc so I just started season 7 of red dwarf and you said 7 to 9 was the weaker part, but of those which is the worst? Because I'm not liking season 7 at all. I want space not time travel!
Sorry for the very late reply XO
Series 8 and 9 generally are the weakest. Series 7 is OK but no where near the peak of the first 6.

...and yeah seeing everyone 20 or so years older is very jarring, but the series is fine from that point on, and they keep the energy they had in their youth fully in this new series :3

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Sorry for the very late reply XO
Series 8 and 9 generally are the weakest. Series 7 is OK but no where near the peak of the first 6.

...and yeah seeing everyone 20 or so years older is very jarring, but the series is fine from that point on, and they keep the energy they had in their youth fully in this new series :3
So what the hell do I watch now that I've gone through all of Red Dwarf!?:D

Reactions: Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
So what the hell do I watch now that I've gone through all of Red Dwarf!?:D
Hmmmm!
Seinfeld
Watch Seinfeld
I cant guarantee it would appeal you as much as red dwarf but it is a show i want to rewatch someday
There are also
Fraiser
Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Galavant
Yes (prime) minister
The IT Crowd
Father Ted

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Hmmmm!
Seinfeld
Watch Seinfeld
I cant guarantee it would appeal you as much as red dwarf but it is a show i want to rewatch someday
There are also
Fraiser
Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Galavant
Yes (prime) minister
The IT Crowd
Father Ted
I'm so old that most of that I watched when they actually aired haha! But never heard of Galavant, so I'll check that out! Thanks.:)

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Dunno if you can watch this easily in France but Staged is really good. Short episodes too.

Watched all 6 episodes last night and really enjoyed it.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I can't watch it because it's not on Amazon around here yet but i've heard an Italian series called Zero Zero Zero is pretty good. It's a crime series about a massive shipment of Cocaine. Has Mogwai on the soundtrack.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Watched the three Divergent Series films today on Amazon Prime and they were not bad at all. I was expecting them to be terrible and that i'd turn the first one off after 10 minutes but ended up watching all three. Pleasantly surprised. They're not going to blow your mind or anything but they kept me entertained while working from home.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I hope they do a reboot so I dont have to watch season 1 haha.
Season 1 was terrible in just every single aspect. Acting (starting with the main character), writing, directing... everything was atrocious. I made it to episode 5 before giving up. Changing the lead actor is good but they'd have to change to whole staff in order to make it a better show. But I'm probably expecting too much from CW.

Reactions: Le Pertti

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
i highly recommend checking out Palm Springs on hulu. a wonderful dark/romantic comedy. cristin milioti is a blast and perfect in this

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Season 1 was terrible in just every single aspect. Acting (starting with the main character), writing, directing... everything was atrocious. I made it to episode 5 before giving up. Changing the lead actor is good but they'd have to change to whole staff in order to make it a better show. But I'm probably expecting too much from CW.
True true
Cw shows are hit or miss here. Casting is one thing, a dull or poorly written script doesn't help keep intetrst for long

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I finally saw The Princess Bride and that movie was most excellent. Such heart and creativity, and so gorgeously shot. I'm amazed.

Also watching The Secret of NIMH and the animation awes me all over again. The elegance and sense of momentum, the character, the nine old men's legacy is no joke.

Next on the list is 12 Angry Men.