Community Movies/Shows you have seen recently or looking forward to...

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Currently watching Anthony Hopkins Hannibal movies, currently on Hannibal.

After those I will do The Pianist (wanted to watch it for a long time).

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Well, 12 angry men was masterful storytelling, acting and pacing. I can't believe how much mileage they milked out of that set!

Reactions: Tizoc

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Watched the new JU-ON: Origins series on Netflix and it was really good. Very scary and a lot more violent than I thought it would be.

Six quick episodes only like 26 min each. They were able to cover a lot of characters in that short time too. Fuck that house and that curse :(

Also that 4th episode was something straight out of Kojima's PT 😱

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Watched The Pianist. Damn good, but sad movie showing how horrific the jews were treated. Adrien Brody was outstanding. Wanted to punch some nazis when the credits started rolling.

Just hate it's Roman Polanski who directed it due to his history of sexual assaults.

Reactions: Prodigy and Stevey

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
I am interested in the remake of the UK series Utopia by Amazon:

I expect it will be disappointing. At least this teaser doesn't look like the original series.
But maybe they can put their own spin on it.

For those of you who don't know the original Utopia series - you should really try to watch it.
It may not be for everyone, but it is really special.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Seconded, the original Utopia certainly goes places. I started rewatching it on Prime last week but need to pick it up again.
I'm curious but expecting to be disappointed by the Amazon version.

Reactions: Pommes

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Really into chrime thrillers these days. Recently finished The Outsider on HBO which was great (based on a novel by Stephen King) and currently on the second season of The Sinner on Netflix (watched the first season a while ago).

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
So I just finished Mr. Robot and loved every second of it. It was really refreshing to see a hacker in a TV show that isn't you're typical hollywood, speed hacker, 1000 words per minute keyboard mashing nerd.

Anyone can recommend similarly thrilling TV shows?

Pretty LTTP but started watching Peaky Blinders and its pretty good! Only on the second episode so I hope it holds well through the series:
I'm almost finished with Season 3 and it dropped off a bit from 1 + 2 but nonetheless it's still pretty exciting.

The men in the show all have crazy good haircuts so I went to a barber and showed him a picture of Cillian Murphy. Needless to say I didn't look quite as good :p

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
Umbrella Academy S2 comes out tomorrow and its been getting good reviews. I enjoyed the first season so im sure ill binge this over the weekend

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Just a ehads up that the new Transformers animated series is now up on Netflix and this is more of a PG-13 affair due to the violence but it is quite good from what I've seen of Episode 1.

Do give it a watch if you can spare the time

adds other shows mentioned here to the ever growing 'to watch list'

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Here's two that i'll be missing out for a while on by the looks of it because they're apple TV+ or HBOmax :(
Both look great but also have the usual potential of being dreadful. In Foundation's case it may suffer from the Dune problem of just being so vast it's going to be hard to choose what to take and you'll always leave something out that gets people mad.

Damn, they look great though.

Raised by Wolves ( Ridley Scott is an Exec Producer )

[UWSL]From executive producer Ridley Scott, Raised by Wolves centers on two androids tasked with raising human children on a mysterious virgin planet. As the burgeoning colony of humans threatens to be torn apart by religious differences, the androids learn that controlling the beliefs of humans is a treacherous and difficult task.[/UWSL]

Foundation has probably already been mentioned but whooooo. Could be great.

Reactions: Prodigy and Tizoc

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

I am looking forward to the Animaniacs revival.

It's just going to be weird seeing the Warner brothers and their sister on a service that is majority owned by Disney.

Reactions: Tizoc and lashman

Mutant Strawberry

MetaMember
Jul 1, 2020
Just finished season 2 of the new Twilight Zone reboot. A few really good stand out episodes. I hope there's a season 3 because they definitely seem to be improving.

Reactions: Tizoc

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Hey long time no see, oh some interesting things to watch, meh already several that ain’t streaming in France.
I don’t know why I bother :cryblob:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Anyways, I'm nearly done with my Doctor Who s1 (2005) watch.
I can't tell you how much I'm excited at the prospect of understanding how in the ever living fuck I will be able to watch the rest of the early seasons and specials. Amazon Prime streams the show s5 onward. Itunes seems to sell a horrible quality version of the former seasons for 12 euros a pop. And God have mercy on your soul if you utter the words 'Specials' (some are there, some not) or worse, 'Tardisodes' (I'm not even sure what they are, anyways).

I'm interested in It's always sunny too, but I don't want to hurt myself that much.

edit -
Some things that caught my eyes, among others (FR streaming)
Doctor Who - Quite problematic until S5
It's always sunny - Eh, you're dreaming, boy.
Utopia - Please stop.
Seinfeld - Amazon Prime
Frasier - I said stop, motherfucker !
Star Trek TOS - Netflix

This is gonna be tiring.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Li Kao If you're watching the original and best "Utopia" then make sure you have something cheerful and light queued up to watch when you finish the session. Utopia funnily enough is not a happy place :) I'm going to rewatch it but i remember there being some really broken and horrible people in it.

It's freakin' great but dark.

Reactions: ISee and Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah I did my homework and looks like what I want to see is available on the UK or US version of Netflix / Prime / Hulu.
I have to buy a month of VPN, haven't I ? Now the question is, what subs do they have as I would prefer FR ones.

And there is the whole other can of worms with delisted episodes due to racial insensitivity (which I'm not arguing against, I just would like to see all episodes).

Is NordVPN still good ? Is there a new king in town ?

Ghazi

Jul 10, 2020
Yeah I did my homework and looks like what I want to see is available on the UK or US version of Netflix / Prime / Hulu.
I have to buy a month of VPN, haven't I ? Now the question is, what subs do they have as I would prefer FR ones.

And there is the whole other can of worms with delisted episodes due to racial insensitivity (which I'm not arguing against, I just would like to see all episodes).

Is NordVPN still good ? Is there a new king in town ?
Nord is still fine, personally I switched to ProtonVPN after Nord stopped accepting PayPal as a form of payment.

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Doctor Who s1, check.
The few episodes of Love Death Robots that I didn't watch years ago, check.

Still really torn about Doctor Who, it is filmed so obnoxiously slowly that you could cut 10 minutes of runtime and still be good. Then I'm also unreasonably excited for s2 to end and the Rose character and family to die in a fire ! You admittedly can't put everything on Billie Piper, as her VA in French is like rusted metal on chalkboard, but still, bye Felicia !

And while I still like Love Death Robots as a whole, what remained to be watched was mostly super subpar, a reminder that the project is an aesthetic experience above all. The worst ep yesterday must have been the robot heist : it was only 8 minutes and felt like double.

Edit -
I would really really appreciate if someone in the US and/or UK could tell me if Doctor Who on Netflix can be watched in its french dub version.
Asking for a friend a mom :sweaty-blob:

Last edited:

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Will catch up to doom patrol once the season ends

This is worth keeping an eye out for if you have hulu

Li Kao getting into modern doctor who can be tricky but it has lots of solid episodes and the doctor is always a fun character

Reactions: Li Kao

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Other than watching the Simpsons up until the New York episode I was not in the mood to watch much of anything lately.

I did however watch Central Park on Apple TV+ which is a cartoon musical featuring Leslie Odom Jr. and Daveed Diggs of Hamilton fame plus Kristen Bell, Stanley Tucci, Tituss Burgess and Josh Gad from some of the people behind Bob's Burger. It was a lot of fun and the musical performances were great. Following seasons can be pretty good because the conflict of the series has potential.

After his performance in Hamilton and here I have an especial fondness for the talent of Daveed Diggs

Which like with Leslie Odom Jr. makes it disappointing that their stuff on music streaming services is well sung but incredibly bland and boring.

Anyway, if you happen to get Apple TV+ I can definitely recommend the show

Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I thought there'd be some discussion about Netflix' new series "High Score" here.

There again it looks like it's retreading the same old Console-centric stories we all know already. I really enjoyed the UK-centric TV shows that were out a few years ago. The 8/16-bit computers were much more relevant to me as a kid in the UK. Hell, the huge "Video Game Bust" everyone talks about didn't impact my childhood whatsoever. We were totally oblivious to it until years later.

Hopefully i'm wrong though. Someone watch it and let me know! :D

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I thought there'd be some discussion about Netflix' new series "High Score" here.

There again it looks like it's retreading the same old Console-centric stories we all know already. I really enjoyed the UK-centric TV shows that were out a few years ago. The 8/16-bit computers were much more relevant to me as a kid in the UK. Hell, the huge "Video Game Bust" everyone talks about didn't impact my childhood whatsoever. We were totally oblivious to it until years later.

Hopefully i'm wrong though. Someone watch it and let me know! :D
I've watched the first 3 episodes, and I liked it a lot. Several interviews with industry veterans (but not with Miyamoto sadly). All platforms are covered, going from Arcade, consoles and pc/apple. Looking forward to see the other 3 episodes later this weekend.