Community Movies/Shows you have seen recently or looking forward to...

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Haunting of Bly Manor: 6/10

Too long, too much uninteresting drama. Even the show itself agrees during the last episode that this isn't really a ghost or horror story, but a bunch of love stories gone wrong. The show lacks focus, and it repeats the same themes until boredom starts setting in.

The idea itself is okay, should have been 4-5 episodes max.

The part with the most tension was the epilogue.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: lashman and Li Kao

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
Haunting of Bly Manor: 6/10

Too long, too much uninteresting drama. Even the show itself agrees during the last episode that this isn't really a ghost or horror story, but a bunch of love stories gone wrong. The show lacks focus, and it repeats the same themes until boredom starts setting in.

The idea itself is okay, should have been 4-5 episodes max.

The part with the most tension was the epilogue.
to be fair though it really shouldnt have taken you until the last episode to figure out it wasnt a horror like hill house. once i realized it was going to be a gothic romance it was fine. yes like most people i would have preferred a more hill house type show but id give it 7/10.

Reactions: lashman

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
to be fair though it really shouldnt have taken you until the last episode to figure out it wasnt a horror like hill house. once i realized it was going to be a gothic romance it was fine. yes like most people i would have preferred a more hill house type show but id give it 7/10.
Didn't take me that long and even from the aspect of a romance drama: it was barely moving forward, barely any character developments, treating a lot of dead water.
It's just not good, no matter from what side I look at it.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Got to episode 3 of Lovecraft Country and not sure what to think, the series doesn't have one story it follows? Really not in the mood for a "monster of the week" kind of thing. Those of you who have seen it, what's up?

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Watched Borat Subsequent moviefilm, less hysterical than the first but it was all right

Reactions: ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
The new Borat movie felt a lot more scripted. Looked to me like many people were following loose guidelines. Mabe that was also the case with the first one, but I didn't notice it? Some people didn't see it coming at all though, like scumbag Giuliani.

Overall, I agree it was all right. Unfortunately, the parts that made me really laugh were all during the first couple of minutes. The rest was more of "shocking" nature. There were some uncomfortable scenes, which is fine just not funny to me.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I think I have watched EVERY MOVIE that was even little interesting to me. I've spent hours today looking through Letterboxd trying find just ONE movie to watch but still havent found one haha.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Altered Carbon is incredibly good, but it's also deeply depressing. It's hard to watch more than a little bit at a time, especially with my RL being rather hard and re-traumatizing :(.

Reactions: ISee and dummmyy

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Altered Carbon is incredibly good, but it's also deeply depressing. It's hard to watch more than a little bit at a time, especially with my RL being rather hard and re-traumatizing :(.
I was also watching it in a rough period back when. I honestly don't remember anything from the series, but think it was good escape. Tried watching the second season and just couldn't get into it at all.

Reactions: Swenhir

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
Got to episode 3 of Lovecraft Country and not sure what to think, the series doesn't have one story it follows? Really not in the mood for a "monster of the week" kind of thing. Those of you who have seen it, what's up?
i still have the last episode to watch but i didnt really think of this as a monster of the week type thing. the show definitely has some weird/crazy endings though.

overall i thought it was good. not the best hbo has done but i feel we dont get a ton of "genre" shows so gotta enjoy them while we can

Reactions: ISee and Le Pertti

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I can't believe I'm saying this, but after Season 2 of Altered Carbon. Do not miss the Anime Movie: Altered Carbon Resleeved.
Not as good as the show itself and a bit over the top (as all anime), but I think you'll enjoy it.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Looks like Netflix is bumping up prices in the US by a few bucks for the 2 high tiers.

I expect most of the streaming services to slowly increase in price over the next year. I hope as a result they are able to start buying up some of the bigger films while Covid is killing the theater.

I loved just being able to watch Borat 2 at home. (Funny ass film btw)

I hope they do the same with the new Bond, Wonder Woman 1984 etc. Also they need to hurry up and put Tenet on some streaming service already. Really want to see it :coffee-blob:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
So, uh, I devoured Altered Carbon Season 1. Depressing, but way too good not to binge. Season 2 is still interesting but it feels rather removed from how brilliant Season 1 was. Twists are hamfisted instead of subtle and well-paced, I'm really not super fond of it so far.

I could also swear Poe's voice is different. Maybe it's the sound processing but it has lost that suave, silky smoothness and is now oddly crisp and sandy. His acting comes across as forced, too.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I recently watched Lady Bird and I enjoyed it a lot but I'm not surprised as I tend to like those movies with a more mundane setting.

So, uh, I devoured Altered Carbon Season 1. Depressing, but way too good not to binge. Season 2 is still interesting but it feels rather removed from how brilliant Season 1 was. Twists are hamfisted instead of subtle and well-paced, I'm really not super fond of it so far.

I could also swear Poe's voice is different. Maybe it's the sound processing but it has lost that suave, silky smoothness and is now oddly crisp and sandy. His acting comes across as forced, too.
I enjoyed both seasons but I'm very easy to please regarding series.

Reactions: ISee and Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The Mandalorian keeps on unifying and saving Star Wars. Holy crap, not even done with the episode, but I couldn't be more stunned at the subtlety, love for the universe and skill on display.

• Love
Reactions: ISee and dummmyy

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
The Mandalorian keeps on unifying and saving Star Wars. Holy crap, not even done with the episode, but I couldn't be more stunned at the subtlety, love for the universe and skill on display.
While watching the first episode of season two I couldn't get the feeling out of my had that the people behind the show are Star Wars fans and interacted with the franchise as such over the years.

The Krayt Dragon Hunt had a lot in common with the Krayt Hunts we did with our guild in the original Star Wars Galaxies MMO. I had constant flashbacks.
Awesome!

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
While watching the first episode of season two I couldn't get the feeling out of my had that the people behind the show are Star Wars fans and interacted with the franchise as such over the years.

The Krayt Dragon Hunt had a lot in common with the Krayt Hunts we did with our guild in the original Star Wars Galaxies MMO. I had constant flashbacks.
Awesome!
Let's put in spoilers there for others ^^. But you are completely right. These are made by a group of people, huge as it is, that really know so much of the lore and things that the fans have delved into that aren't just Disney the canon. They are about the world and telling a good story, and that's more than Star Wars has ever had since the Disney acquisition.

And the whole thing was a big KOTOR re-enactment for me. The whole view of the Sand People, and the Gamorreans, it was just awesome seeing them in such an official setting. And of course, that jetpack infamously getting off at the slightly breeze.

Last edited:
Reactions: dummmyy and ISee

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Yeah Mandalorian is awesome! I hope it manages to keep going with the same force as the first episode.

I also finished Truth Seekers and it was great. Love me some Nick Frost and Simon pegg. It felt little stressed, didn't get time to simmer. But can't wait to see second season, if there is one.

Reactions: ISee and Swenhir

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Finished season 1 of The Witcher and liked it a lot. I'm curious why mages take so many long walks while they are able to teleport tho ;)

Watching Star Trek Discovery this week. It's not bad, but it's definitely not Star Trek. Not at all. They've turned the Klingons into whining human females, and Starfleet blaming Michael for starting a war with the Klingons because she killed a Klingon out of self defense is completely ridiculous. She could have stunned him instead of killing by the way, don't these faser have a stun setting? I understand they wanted to modernize the series, but I doubt this is what Roddenberry had in mind when he created Star Trek.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Some more stuff since the last post:

Instinct1
The Orville2
Ted Lasso1
The Boys2
Star Trek Lower Decks1
Rosehaven1
Fear the Walking Dead4
Ghosts1
Top Gear29
Other Space1
Currently almost though season 2 of ghosts. It's pretty funny, strangely it's mostly the same cast as the kids show Horrible Histories.

Last edited:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Watching Lovecraft Country (Episode 8 currently) and I like it so far.

Only downside: It's not really "Cosmic" Horror. It's missing that vibe of unstoppable, overpowering, not comprehensible dread.
It's supernatural fiction set in the USA of the 1950s, written from the perspective of people suffering from racism and segregation.
Well written, well played, well done cinematographic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Li Kao and Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Mandalorian Ep2.

How do they keep creating these things? This is more Star Wars than almost anthing that even came out after the original trilogy. I love how the x-wings seemed to have been animated with those jerky, tell-tale motions of mechanical rigs when they flied formation for instance.

The lighting and the cinematography just keep on leaving me breathless though.

That episode was also a huge, complete nopefest for me as someone who doesn't exactly cherishes spiders.

Reactions: Le Pertti and ISee

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
so Titans came to hbomax this past weekend. im close to half way through s2 and ive really enjoyed it so far.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Need to catch up and watch the special then.

Also the wrestling episode of DuckTales was great.

Some animation stuff to check out

Reactions: Li Kao

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Finished The Americans. Will not go into much details but one of my favorite series and one of the best series finales I have seen. People should watch the show.

Currently watching Tiny World on AppleTV+. Documentary series about small animals in all parts of the world and how they live and work together in an ecosystem. It's narrated by Paul Rudd. With the service having such an amazing bitrate it is one of the most beautiful things I have seen on my OLED so far

BoosterDuck

Goon Squad
Sep 20, 2018
end of an era ಥ_ಥ
[UWSL] [/UWSL]

Last edited:

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
Animaniacs

I kept reading about this, really, really interested!

I've been watching Good Lord Bird, and good lord is it good!!!! Ethan Hawke is so good as the holy fool (take that with a grain of salt) in this. The story is very Quixotic insofar as it's a man with an altered perception of reality (as is exemplified in most episodes) that is driven staunchly by principles. I was enamored from the get go.

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
I'm excited about this:

New 'Predator' movie in the works from '10 Cloverfield Lane' director Dan Trachtenberg and 'Jack Ryan' scribe The movie reportedly won’t be directly connected to the developments of the previous film (via @DEADLINE | [UWSL]http://[/UWSL]bit.ly/2IWvBmx)
I have liked mostly every Predator movies besides the AvP ones.

Reactions: dummmyy and ISee

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
i checked out Happiest Season on Hulu and it was rather enjoyable. good cast and wasnt super tropey for the most part

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Watched Nixon/Frost and I have to say the narcissistic depiction of Nixon was so realistic it really made me feel nearly sick and bad. Incredible acting there.

Also, Mandalorian Ep 5... Well, Ahsoka kind of gave us the big damn heroes moment of a Jedi Monk that should have been Luke, if Disney hadn't happened. I loved her characterization, and the way she moved, the choreography of her motions was so damn good and consistent with TCW. You can tell Filoni knows his stuff, there is this natural, hero posing from one moment to the next where her silhouette is just so damn right. It's a technique and mindful photography we saw first with Iron Man and here it was again, in full force and, to be honest, artfully beautiful. This chapter felt like something that was a little larger than just a TV episode.

I just wish the episode had had a little more in it, but other than that, it was pretty much badass wise Jedi does badass things, splendidly filmed.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee and Le Pertti

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I said it last week and I'll repeat it this week, Mandalorian season 2 is best TV I've seen in I don't know how long!
It's the best Star Wars I've seen since Season 7 of TCW, and before that it was rebels. Best live action since Lucas's films, in my opinion, though there are a lot of redeeming facets to the sequel trilogy, they don't even remotely approach this... giving of us what we wanted out of a continuation of ROTJ.

Reactions: Le Pertti