Community Movies/Shows you have seen recently or looking forward to...

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
If anyone else had been lamenting the fact that LOTR's extended edition's DVDs were the only proper way to experience these movies after the disastrous bluray grading, despair no more!

I’m not kidding you, the new HDR color grade is absolutely, jaw-droppingly stunning. Remember that dreaded green-tint that appeared on the Fellowship Blu-ray, a product of the fact that it was created from the original HD master and not a proper remaster? Yeah… it’s GONE. When the Fellowship attempts to cross the Caradhras mountains now, the sky is a perfect high-altitude electric blue.
The review of the new 4k release is glowing, and I for one am really relieved.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Finished 52 TV seasons for the year!

Finally saw Tenet last night, was a bit of a muddle for a while but it was glorious when it all came together at the end. Not Nolan's best cinematography though, shared a lot of the stark light of day with Dunkirk but the later is 10x better looking and more interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pommes and ISee

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
If anyone else had been lamenting the fact that LOTR's extended edition's DVDs were the only proper way to experience these movies after the disastrous bluray grading, despair no more!

The review of the new 4k release is glowing, and I for one am really relieved.
Guess I am tracking down these HDR ones. So uh...I have a 1080p screen, what digital version should I be hunting down? :V

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Guess I am tracking down these HDR ones. So uh...I have a 1080p screen, what digital version should I be hunting down? :V
This one no matter what, not because of the HDR or the 4k, but the grading. That or I'm not understanding you correctly :p.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
OK gotcha, so just track down the UHD edition :3
Edit : no actually, this is a theatrical edition, not extended. The heck. Well, at any rate... You get the idea ^^.
Edit² : This seems to be it, best I can tell. Release date of Dec 1st and all that.

Reactions: Tizoc

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Recently finished watching Battlestar Galactica and I thouroughly enjoyed it. It helps that there aren't that many space adventure movies or shows, at least that I know about, but I believe it had the right amount of science and fiction for it to work. The setting was captivating, the characters had character and satisfying arcs and the story was believable enough. The special effects already show their age, and perhaps they weren't top of the line even when the show first aired, but that's just a small nitpick in an overall great package. Babylon 5 remains the king though.

Also started watching the 8th season of The Office and... it's not great. The decline is very noticeable after season 5 but it's still entertaining but the 8th season is just weird. The new characters aren't any good and even some of the old loveable ones are either sidelined or suffer a 180 in their personality. What's the point of building Andy for 3 seasons and then turn him into whatever he is now? I'll keep watching it because I have to now, after all I've already invested the time to watch the previous seasons, but something needs to change otherwise I don't see myself coming back for season 9...

Reactions: ISee

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im doing a rewarch of Jackass movies, haven't seen them in at least 6+ years. They are so fun, but so hearthwarming due to the amount of friendship between the guys.

Reactions: Firewithin

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Terminator Dark Fate is a solid action movie, it has its flaws but it was a nice action romp with a decent story.
I like to think of it as a 'what if' follow up to the original 2 movies (which are peak movies all their own), ala Alien 3 AC.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah thinking about it, Terminator 3 killed my interest in the franchise, like a couple of other 2000 movies. Still haven't seen Matrix 3 or Star Wars 3 for that matter.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Yeah thinking about it, Terminator 3 killed my interest in the franchise, like a couple of other 2000 movies. Still haven't seen Matrix 3 or Star Wars 3 for that matter.
Dark Fate is good, for one thing, not even 10 minutes into the film and
cops are getting their asses killed, so it's off to a good start at least!

• This!
Reactions: Li Kao

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Have been burning my way through season1 and 2 of The Expanse. God damn, when did SyFy or whatever theyre called now start making good television again? This feels reminiscent ofthe better aspects of BSG, only without the Cylons or dog fights, and Ive been enthralled since minute one. Prime subscription has been paying for itself between this and the X-Files that my wife and I are binging.

Bought this the other day.
Not really a Nicolas Cage fan at all, but this looks pretty cool

Youre in for a treat. This movie is excellent

Kuroyume

Spokes for the Wheel of Torment
Oct 21, 2018
Have seen a few Argento-Argento related films recently.

Suspiria (2018) - I loved this film. Really liked the plot changes as I felt it made the story feel creepier and full of dread. The style is different from the original, but not different in a way that's bad. Obviously the best improvement comes in the form of the special effects. Thos '70s era special effects really haven't aged well.

Opera - I liked the direction, however the plot is so fucking stupid and illogical... And, this seems to be a recurring problem I've noticed with his films. He usually displays great talent in terms of directing/shooting things but the plot to his films are so fucking dumb. Dumber than your typical horror film.

Basically an opera singer has been given an opportunity to star in a opera after the main star was injured in an accident. Throughout the film she's stalked by a serial killer who forces her to watch him brutally murder other victims. As a concept it's really cool. However, after the first murder wouldn't the police get heavily involved right away and the production of the opera shut down? In this film's world apparently not. There's a detective who kinda looks into things but it's barely a cause for concern for most involved with the opera. There are people involved with the production dropping like flies left and right throughout the film and yet she continues on trying to do her duty as a performer. It's dumb.

Deep Red
- Again, incredible atmosphere and direction that's hampered by a brain dead plot. A pianist witnesses a murder and rather than leaving the detective work to the police he decides to play detective to hunt down the serial killer. The plot is so stupid. Wouldn't it make sense to make an actual detective the star of the film instead of a pianist? Furthermore, there is a scene where this idiot gets the idea to investigate an abandoned building in the dead of night. He scales the building from the outside and almost dies trying to climb it. And the killer reveal in the end was fucking dumb.

Reactions: Tizoc and Swenhir

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Have been burning my way through season1 and 2 of The Expanse. God damn, when did SyFy or whatever theyre called now start making good television again? This feels reminiscent ofthe better aspects of BSG, only without the Cylons or dog fights, and Ive been enthralled since minute one. Prime subscription has been paying for itself between this and the X-Files that my wife and I are binging.

Youre in for a treat. This movie is excellent
And it even gets better in season 3.
Amazing show!

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
And it even gets better in season 3.
Amazing show!
Don't do that to me, I just started season3 today! And a day after I said there isnt a Cylon or dog fights, the show amps up the war and brings in the Cylon-esque big bads. I really hope this doesnt let me down in the end.
Has anyone taken a peak at the books? I'm kinda curious about those now.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
And a day after I said there isnt a Cylon or dog fights
True, there aren't many space battles in the series, but the ones that are in are significant.
And surprisingly well researched imo.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Ms. Marvel trailer yay, but man Hollywood cannot have a movie starring minorities without forcing a white guy to be among the primary cast :V

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Lol, Y the Last Man, it has just been 84 years but go on.
I was a super fan in another lifetime.

• Toucan
Reactions: dummmyy

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I watched a movie ! Incredible.
And as always I chose poorl... not really. I can't hate it.

A man named Michael, after receiving a troubling video of his former best friend Chris via email, travels to a remote cabin to save his drug-addicted friend

So yeah, I watched Resolution (2012). The directors look to be heavy on Lovecraft and / or Sci-Fi so my interest has been piqued for some time.
It's an indie movie, with a budget of a pack of peanuts and a cucumber.
It's slow, quite slow.
The actors are good, I read a lot of praise for the actor playing the junkie friend, but personally I discovered Will Oberst Jr. He steals his only scene.

Unfortunately, I will join the people feeling let down by the movie as a whole. It tries to mix several movies in one and I don't think it achieves its goal. The relationship part is not bad, but the horror side feels half baked, poorly conceived. I get that the aim was not as much to be horror than to have a commentary about spectators' expectations, but still.
Some people would find the movie a pretentious wank. I can't, really. The actors were good, the movie has its heart in the right place, it's just not a homerun.

6/10

Reactions: lashman and ISee

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Speaking of The Expanse... Season 4 tomorrow!

Also I can't stop being utterly impressed at LOTR's new grading. I don't always agree with it, in some areas it's a little overblown and the grass is nearly bleached out but overall... Damn. What an incredible movie. It makes me wonder at it all over again, not just the pacing and the love poured into it, and the incredible, absolutely incredible editing of the first half the The Fellowship, but just the sheer beauty of the cinematography. Andrew Lesnie was incredible, as is P. Jackson. So many of those opening shots of the shire just took my breath again, no longer being DVD blurs.

Highly recommended :).

• Love

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Eh, as always, I get interested in seeing things again and next I crash on the wall of region restrictions.
I want to see Won’t You Be My Neighbor :cryblob:

Even less than savory sites don't have that on the French internet.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Saw Gladiator for my second time yesterday. Great movie and great performances from Crowe and Phoenix. I also cried at the end this time. "Go to them" get's me every time.

• Hug
Reactions: dummmyy

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Jingle Jangle starts slow but once it kicks off it is really nice, plus lovely songs too~
Don't sleep on this lovely christmas movie~

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Speaking of The Expanse... Season 4 tomorrow!
Yup, just binged the first 3 episodes of Season 5. Such an amazing show. Budget has definitely gone up, lots of new sets and so many big CG shots. Looks like this could definitely be the best season yet (and that is saying something), episode 3 ending daaaamn.

Reactions: ISee and Pommes

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Yup, just binged the first 3 episodes of Season 5. Such an amazing show. Budget has definitely gone up, lots of new sets and so many big CG shots. Looks like this could definitely be the best season yet (and that is saying something), episode 3 ending daaaamn.
I need to watch it, thanks for reminding me!

Reactions: Pommes and Prodigy

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
So I found this, and it looks pretty amazing

And this is pretty stunning as well. The amount of work involved boggles the mind.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Yup Wolfwalkers is out now on Apple's service, and I aim to watch it soon myself :)
Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.

Reactions: ISee and Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I'm still watching The Expanse S5, but from episode 1..

I love that shit-eating grin on Amos' face as he managed to make Avasarala blush, turning the tables on her exactly 30 seconds after being forced to step into her office.

Also, damn is the cinematography good, especially with those shots from inside transports.

Reactions: Pommes and ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Looking forward to expanse season 5. But as with Mandalorian or the boys. I'm waiting for all episodes before I start watching.

Reactions: Swenhir

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
OK so WW84.
It was ok. Try to keep expectations Low and you may enjoy it There are some nice scenes that i enjoyed and overall i found the main theme (for the antagonist) good

The movie couldve been better in a bunch of areas but overall...it was ok

I liked Maxwell Lord's motivation and the theme about wishes and such, though I feel various scenes could've been handled or presented much better. I legit don't know much about the wishing stone and all through the film was expecting a DC villain or one of the deities/gods to be behind it and observing things as they went on, but nada :p
Minerva's Cheetah form is quite cool, and overall her character transformation is pretty...standard; shy and innocent person finally gets power and fame and it gets to their heard.
The scenes with Trevor and Diana were nice, and the overall 80s-ness put a smile on my face.
Action was OK, though the whole Egypt/Biyalia stuff is uh....awkward.

Overall, as I wrote, could've been better in a bunch of areas but overall it is ok; i don't think it is worth going back to theatres to watch, save that for Godzilla vs. King Kong :p

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Big bada-boom.

Wonder how it'll turn out but it's been pretty depressing so far

The LOTR UHD remaster is absolutely blowing my mind. I've gotten to Rivendell and... Well, I'll let the screencaps do the talking. There are details in there I hadn't realized even existed.

Hah! Hobbit continuity error, Orcrist was nothing like that.

This movie really was a once in a lifetime thing. I really hope I can see another but I'm not holding my breath. Hell, I wish I could have worked on it.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Watched Mando Season two the last days.
The beginning was pretty good and than it got better and better. They threw everything possible at my sobbing Star Wars Heart and when I thought they wouldn't be able to top everything with the last episode: They did... holy fuck they did! :oops:
It's a show from Star Wars Fans to Star Wars fans. :photoblobheart:

During the last five minutes I jumped up from my couch screaming, no it can't be him. The arm, the light saber, the cloak, everything: it's bait.
It wasn't! I never jump up from my couch.

ME right now:

Last edited:
  • This!
  • Love
Reactions: dummmyy and Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Mandalorian S2 final episode. Summary of my thoughts as it went down.

Don't click that spoiler if you intend to watch that show, ever. Seriously, don't.

Oh my god. Ohmygodohmygodohmygod they can't have. THEY CAN'T HAVE.

The X-Wing, then the child looking up as a force sensitive. Then the green lightsaber. The pure, goddamn inner squee of joy. Then THE HAND.

Yes. YES. YES.

They gave it to us. That Big Damn Hero moment at the darkest hour.

And then that motherfucker R2 shows up. This is it. This is what we wanted - what I wanted - from a Sequel Trilogy and they finally gave it to us.

This was also, funnily enough, a reverse-Vader-corridor maneuver :p.

Last edited:
  • This!

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I KNOW!
💖

By the way, there is a post credit scene. Only found out because I was sitting in awe explaining to my wife why I was flipping out.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I KNOW!
💖

By the way, there is a post credit scene. Only found out because I was sitting in awe explaining to my wife why I was flipping out.
Thank you! Getting to it now :)

Edit : hahaha, very nice.
Edit² :
I have to know though. The face is obviously CGI, though miles above Tarkin's, but what about the voice? His name is on the credits, does anyone know in what capacity Hamill acted in this episode?

And I saw it coming to an extent, when Grogu reached out on the temple seeing stone, but damn if I wasn't seriouslyt thinking he'd come back.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • This!
Reactions: dummmyy and ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Thank you! Getting to it now :)

Edit : hahaha, very nice.
Edit² :
I have to know though. The face is obviously CGI, though miles above Tarkin's, but what about the voice? His name is on the credits, does anyone know in what capacity Hamill acted in this episode?

And I saw it coming to an extent, when Grogu reached out on the temple seeing stone, but damn if I wasn't seriouslyt thinking he'd come back.
I don't know, only that he was involved.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
I was never really in love with Star Wars but I liked it. The aesthetic and sounds most but I also like some of the story stuff. But after watching the season 2 finale I am not sure if I like Star Wars anymore.

It’s just a frustrating refusal to grow at this point. If people want that more power to them. But I think it isn’t for me anymore if this is the direction they want to take things.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
On the contrary,
it was an interesting idea to finish a certain plot point and to move everything into a different direction: Who becomes "king" and unites the clans etc.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
On the contrary,
it was an interesting idea to finish a certain plot point and to move everything into a different direction: Who becomes "king" and unites the clans etc.
Agreed, I also wonder where things go from here. Mandalore, breaking from his own tradition and finding his own place. I just hope that this ties into a larger story that is about more than the First Order because that plot thread ends up in dumpster fires.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
At the end it are still the same characters that have to appear. Like, I guess you can make an argument that it rhymes that Luke is now teaching Yoda and George Lucas likes that. At the same time I am content never seeing Luke again after the great sendoff the character got in The Last Jedi. I didn't even feel the need for him saving the day because they had the dark saber thing which would've probably cut through the robots. Unless they were also made out of unobtainium. The action in some scenes was also pretty weak.
I am interested in what they do now because they have enough stuff for doing anything without a character from the movies coming in and say Hi. I will at least get another month of Disney+ when it comes out.
I want more stuff like last week where the safety of Baby Yoda Grogu was more important than some religious guidance. But with the baby gone I kind of doubt they have the chops to pull something like that again.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Yeah whoa at the end of the season finale! I was actually surprised , never thought that it was possible, mostly because I was little confused as to where in the Star Wars timeline it all took place.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I do have one big issue with that last sequence though. As much as everything before it really is great, there's one part of it that just completely failed for me.

The soundtrack.

This deserved a bit of joy on the musical side, and wanting to keep the suspense all the way through perhaps meant they restrained themselves from really going all-in with violins and tugging at our heartstrings... But that just makes rewatching it a bit frustrating. I think it deserved a bit more musical glory.