Community Movies/Shows you have seen recently or looking forward to...

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Doom Patrol continues to be good. The episodes so far focus on the characters and they've been doing a great job.

Reactions: lashman

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Of all the crazy shit I've experienced in my life, giving life to a brooch that it becomes a clone of a turtle with a ghost room super power takes the freakin' cake.

--------

bye
Sep 20, 2018
Watched 2 episodes of Larry Charles' Dangerous World of Comedy and it's sorta alright - not much of a revelation so far but it's interesting that the possibly worst form of comedy (stand-up-shows) is spreading all over the world. They interviewed the ABSOLUTE BOY tho, so that's nice:

Reactions: teezzy and lashman

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

Newman>Elaine. He's basically George but more vigorous, and while not always having him made his character moments really stand out, I prefer he would've been the 4th main character of the series instead of Elaine.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
i'D BE more interested in the Detective Pikachu movie if the Pokemon weren't CGIed to look real. Like there's nothing wrong with them being their cartoony CGI looks from the games.
Who framed Roger Rabbit is an example of how to do it. I don't think anyone cares for how progressed CGI tech has become when it comes to such things when the pokemon look bizarrely real.

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
I'm looking forward to seeing Captain Marvel next week with my brother. I'm also excited for Detective Pikachu, Avengers Endgame, Spider-man Far from Home, John Wick Chapter 3, Hobbs & Shaw, Us, Pet Sematary, Ma, Godzilla, and any indie films that catch my eye.

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
i recently started watching Misfits and started season 3 and Nathan (Robert Sheehan) is just like..........gone. But Joseph Gilgun is there now so thats ok

xist

Healing...
Nov 14, 2018
Had a little blitz...and watched -
This seems to have been critically dismissed, and as a black metal fan who's familiar with some of this story I don't believe for a minute that the character representations are accurate and that the true story played out like this (Rory Culkin's character was in no way as sympathetic in real life). However, it's not like there's a massive amount of films on this matter and I enjoyed it for what it was...it doesn't really make anyone look super stupid, and if you think back to Sam Dunn's interview with Gaahl in the Metal A Headbanger's Journey bonus material it's clear which comes off worse.

Didn't expect to like this and actually loved it. I'm a massive sucker for this kind of story....no my eyes are not looking extra damp I have an eyelash irritating them!

Enjoyable but predictable tale with some decent acting and chemistry between the actors. The outcome or the way the story progresses is not going to surprise anyone, but it's an enjoyable movie based upon real characters, who this time I think are probably depicted a little more accurately (unlike LoC above)

Good film, and I have a soft spot for Mary Elizabeth Winstead too which helped. To say much more than it's about a troubled comedian who has relationship issues would ruin it, but it's a good watch.

Would actually recommend all four...probably going to watch the Gaga doc at some point now after seeing A Star is Born....

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Just got back from watching Captain Marvel, reposting what I wrote on the other site, but simply put, it's a fun movie, so if that's what you want go give it a watch.

Just got back fromw atching it. Fun movie, though events feel like they just happen to get the plot progressed.
There are some nice scenes regarding Carol's character and I overall feel the movie being about her
discovering who she is, is nicely done.
...but I still don't care for Carol Danvers. I still don't see how she's supposed to be a major pivotal part of the MCU (at least), when she just comes off as a back up plan.
Her powers are fine and all but there's nothing about her character that makes her stand out from the other characters.

I fear this feeling I have toward the character is because of how Marvel 'forced' the character into the spotlight over the years, and I just didn't like that as it never resonated to me at all.

I'm not trying to downplay her character within her movie mind you, she had lots of good moments, although whenever she would be wisecracking and quipping early in the movie, it felt off. The final scene against YonGar holds up well; the jerk was planning on killing kids and innocent people, heck he ordered the planet be destroyed, she doesn't have to prove ANYTHING to him. She took down his unit himself as we've already seen.

However in the greater scope of things...sorry not seeing it, and her being the inspiration for the name Avengers doesn't sit well with me, going back to the whole 'forced' thing I mentioned earlier.

A couple other stuff I liked-
The Skrulls aren't evil! That explains why we didn't see them and they were replaced by Chitauri.
What arcade machine was Carol playing her flashback at the bar? If she played it during the late 80s, it sure as hell wasn't Street Fighter II.

The 90s stuff gave me a good laugh.

Oh and Monica Rambo? Nice one Marvel.

Finally "Trust me, True Believer!" made me go

Reactions: dummmyy and lashman

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Real Captain Marvel in April (SHAZAM!)
Godzilla: Kaijumania XIX in May

Mad hype to watch these @o@ Bumblebee's digital and BR release is in April too.

Oh and Avengers Endgame in April too, but I ain't in a rush for it :v

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Binged watched the latest 3 episodes of Mob Psycho 100.

While they could've been a liiiiiiiiiiitle better, what we got was amazing.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Getting real burned out on movies tbh, might be time to ease off the pace.

Memories of Murder
Okay, so I went into this movie expecting some kind of gritty, suave, crime drama film. And while it has features of my expectations, it’s also totally not that. It's brutal, it's ugly, and it's not really at all about solving cases. It's more about the meta-reality of detective work, and the obsession and failure that comes from that work. Also, the ending scene of the movie is absolutely soul-piercing.

Nobody Knows
I think I genuinely loved about 85% of the movie. Without giving away too much information, I feel Kore-eda almost undid everything he had built up to with the way the movie ended. Granted, maybe I’m letting the real-life details of the Sugamo abandonment case color my perceptions too much. Or it’s possible (and likely) that I’m a moron and I just didn’t understand the message he was trying to convey in the ending. Which is a bummer to me, because I felt like Kore-eda deftly turned the Sumida Ward baby swaps into a compelling and complicated experience in Soshite Chichi ni Naru, whereas this movie’s ending just kind of took the wind out of my sails. It’s still really good and worth watching, I just wish that last little bit was different.

Ikiru
Ikiru kind of reminded me of a Japanese It's a Wonderful Life, and I mean that in a very positive way. The main difference here is if we took It's a Wonderful Life, and then added a very cynical view of life at the end, after we've seen the changed man's life. I don't think it's inaccurate, but it is kind of a bummer in some ways and a lot to process. I believe this was only my second Kurosawa movie, so I'm excited to continue delving into the back-catalog.

The Phone Call
A Sally Hawkins short film about working for a suicide/crisis hotline. It's okay but I didn't find it particularly interesting.

Junkyard
Snitches get stitches? I guess? Another mildly interesting animated short film that at least looks pretty good, but I don't really know what the hell the point was.

Helium
Yet another short film, this time about a Danish boy with a terminal illness coming to terms through the help of a hospital worker. Again, decent idea, but in this case the execution was pretty horrendous. The CGI in some of the shots is particularly awful, and really amateur looking. Amateurish is okay, but when it gets this bad it just takes away from the story.

Strange Invaders
This is actually a pretty decent short film compared to some of the others I've mentioned. Again, animated, but in a really bizarre way. Basically the story of parents dealing with a first child, and it's hilariously chaotic and weird, framing the child basically as an alien invader. Can't say that seems wholly inaccurate.

Enemy
Up to this movie, I had loved everything that I'd seen of Villeneuve so far. I still liked Enemy, but I found it to be an even slower burn than BR2049, Arrival or Sicario. And none of those movies were exactly setting the world on fire with their pace (except for certain parts of BR2049 and the end of Sicario I guess), which made this movie pretty hard for me to "get into" until maybe the final third.

The 39 Steps
First Hitchcock movie I've ever watched, and I loved it. There's a pretty simple story and "twist" here, but it's incredibly effective, and engaging.
And praise God for movies that are less than 90 minutes 🙏🙏🙏

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Nah. Even aside from the utter destruction of the original play's intent, this movie adaptation is just not good. I love Elizabeth Taylor and Paul Newman, but their acting here came across as hysterical and overwrought. Imagine people who say "I don't enjoy theater," and then imagine what they imagine theater is like. This movie is the overacted, hysterical, overwrought thing that people mistakenly believe all theater to be. Bleugh, what a waste of two hours.

Reactions: Pranooy and lashman

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Looks like a 6th bayformer movie is happening.

Not a biggy considering there is also a bumblevee sequel made alongside it.

TheVectronic

The Wondering Scribe
Oct 31, 2018
Puerto Rico
It's been a while since I wrote in this thread.

I watched Captain Marvel, twice.

I think the movie is fine as it is. I enjoyed what was shown & there was a few jokes that made me laugh, but I noticed a lot of things on my second viewing that I really wish could've been done better.
- The camera shakes a lot, even in the moments where the characters are standing still.
(You can clearly tell it in the scene where they show the contents of the Black Box)
- At times characters, especially some of the Skrulls, feel as though they make some of the strangest decisions.
(I cannot fathom the thought as to why the Skrull Scientist needed to be sacrificed when they could've just had Jude Law's character be on a wild goose chase trying to track down Carol Danvers.)
- I wished the supporting characters such as Captain Marvel's best friend had more expression in her delivery. She was a well written character, but I think some of the lines felt emotionless at times.​
I was disappointed about the reasoning about Nick Fury's eye. Finding out a cat scratch was the reason that he lost the eye felt like a set up for a joke how Fury acts tough, but is a softie than an actual serious topic that was showcased in Captain America: Winter Soldier. I think the movie would've worked a lot more if Fury lost his eye in the car crash in the very beginning where he trusted the Skrull disguised as Agent Coulson.
Though I don't think the movie was a blunder. There's a lot of things I particularly liked about it such as the Skrulls characters, Jude Law's character & the setting of the late 90's felt really colorful & bright, though not as much as movies like Thor: Ragnarok or Guardians of the Galaxy.

Personally I think you wouldn't miss much if you decide to skip this film. I think this a footnote to explain the character of Captain Marvel & their relationship with Nick Fury all the while intergrating her, abeit very quickly, into the MCU.

See it if you're curious, but I think you can wait for Endgame.

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
I went to watch Captain Marvel last night. I really liked her origin story, compared to what we have in the comics. I can't wait to see more of her in Endgame.

Fury was great in this. I hoped to see more of Coulson, though.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Gonna aim to watch the last episode of Black Lightning later today.
Also gonna try and watch Captain Marvel/SHAZAM later tonight. I wanted to watch a 7:30 PM showing but it is 3d and I gotta pay for the glasses I think @_@

Doom Patrol continues to be awesome and Fraser is giving a fantastic performance.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Shazam was legit good y'all, go watch it! There's a post credit scene of course, but the initial credits are fantastic anyways so stick around to watch them.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Was and saw Shazam and was little disappointed.T_T I try to not get hyped for movies but somehow I still manage to. While enjoyable of course but didn't feel like it had any meat on it's bones. Like the whole movie was a boss fight.

Finally have an unlimited cinema card, so will probably see every movie that comes out in the cinema.XD

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Was and saw Shazam and was little disappointed.T_T I try to not get hyped for movies but somehow I still manage to. While enjoyable of course but didn't feel like it had any meat on it's bones. Like the whole movie was a boss fight.

Finally have an unlimited cinema card, so will probably see every movie that comes out in the cinema.XD
Eh what? You're neglecting the parts where Billy and Freddy were testing out his powers and going about their early days of getting a hang of the powers or something? The last act was mainly the fight against Sivanna, but up til then it was merely the build up to their confrontation+focus on Billy and his family as well as his time with Freddy

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Eh what? You're neglecting the parts where Billy and Freddy were testing out his powers and going about their early days of getting a hang of the powers or something? The last act was mainly the fight against Sivanna, but up til then it was merely the build up to their confrontation+focus on Billy and his family as well as his time with Freddy
Yeah sure, but the movie even then was about the bad guy being all about trying to find Billy from the begining once he got his powers, like he didn't even try to do anything else.

But as I said I enjoyed it, even without expectations I was expecting a great movie from all the hype, just got a good one.

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
Killing Eve is back and also got picked up for a 3rd season! everybody should watch this

Slice Sabre

Trash Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Got tickets to Endgame because of course I would. Mom wanted to go too when I told her, surprisingly, so I got her tickets too. Going EARLY Saturday morning, like 8:30 am.

Reactions: Ex-User (307)

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
Okay, so Phantom Menace was actually a dope as fuck movie. If only the CGI were updated a bit and given better lighting effects so that they blended into the scene more, I wouldn't have been broken out of immersion as much as I were. All the trade commission/senate political plot was genuinely engaging, and I even found myself laughing as Jar Jar managed to clutz his way into being a general. Homeboy was like Steve Urkel, continuously wreaking havoc, yet somehow kicking those droids' asses through his clumsiness. Oh, also Queen Amadilla (sp?) has that fashion game on fleek, and Darth Maul is still (sic) af w/ that double lightsaber. The Phantom Menace works much better as a way of laying the groundwork for the Star Wars franchise than it does as just a movie in its own right, but still I found myself largely entertained throughout. Excellent world building here, and the pod racing is still fucking awesome, and placing the race at the exact middle of the film is a wonderful measure of pacing.

Time for Attack of the Clones, which I've never actually watched before.

Last edited:

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
Attack of the Clones

I'm too tired to fully summate my thoughts, but what a delightfully weird movie Attack of the Clones is. The timing of
Anakin's mother's death
felt awfully convenient as a plot point, and the romance between Anakin and Pad Mei felt ham-fisted with them quite literally rolling around in the fields together, but certain aspects like the Gladiator-esque battle scene more than made up for it. I'm appreciative that Attack of the Clones ended up being just as odd as Empire before and Last Jedi after it, following the trend of the second films in each trilogy deviating from the norm. Is Attack of the Clones a classic? Probably not, but I really am having far more fun watching through the prequels than I had anticipated. That opening space chase, and the scene w/ the alien centipedes almost made me feel like I was watching Blade Runner, or the Fifth Element, or something. Also, a Jedi in a diner? Oh, George Lucas, you goofy bastard you.

A first time watch of Revenge of the Sith is up next, unless someone can convince me it's vital to watch the Clone Wars cartoon first. I'm excited since I've heard nothing but great things about RotS. No spoilers please.

Planned order: TPM > AotC > RotS > SOLO > RO > ANH > ESB > RotJ > TFA > TLJ

Reactions: dummmyy and lashman

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
I've just watched the original Mortal Kombat movie for the first time and ended up liking it way more than I thought I would.

It's up on archive.org if anyone wants to watch it:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I just sat down and watched Black Mountain Side on Amazon Prime last night.
It's a slow, molasses paced, low, low budget thriller ala John Carpenter's The Thing but set in the Canadian Arctic.
Surprisingly effective with a decent twist ending. The voice over is fantastic and gets under your skin.

I've just watched the original Mortal Kombat movie for the first time and ended up liking it way more than I thought I would.

It's up on archive.org if anyone wants to watch it:
Your soul IS MINE wakes up abruptly

Reactions: Spamlynguist

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Finished halt and catch fire, really enjoyed it. Started a bit shaky but gets better every season with the fourth being incredible. It's awesome going through the the years seeing the technology grow and seeing how the characters grow as well.

'Safety is a story, it’s something we teach our children so they can sleep at night, but we know it’s not real.
Beware baffled humans, beware of false prophets who will sell you a fake future of bad teachers, corrupt leaders and dirty corporations. Beware of cops and robbers, the kinds that will rob your dreams. But most of all, beware of each other because everything’s about to change.

The world is going to crack wide open. There is something on the horizon. A massive connectivity. The barriers between us will disappear, and we’re not ready. We’ll hurt each other in new ways, we’ll sell and be sold, we’ll expose our most tender selves only to be mocked and destroyed.

We’ll be so vulnerable, and we’ll pay the price. We won’t be able to pretend that we can protect ourselves anymore. It’s a huge danger, a gigantic risk, but it’s worth it, if only we can learn to take care of each other, then this awesome destructive new connection won’t isolate us. It won’t leave us in the end so totally alone.'

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
The Phantom Menace works much better as a way of laying the groundwork for the Star Wars franchise than it does as just a movie in its own right, but still I found myself largely entertained throughout. Excellent world building here, and the pod racing is still fucking awesome, and placing the race at the exact middle of the film is a wonderful measure of pacing.
I’m glad someone else actually finds a bit of enjoyment in TPM. There’s a lot of stupid in it, but it’s still at least pretty fun to sit through.
A first time watch of Revenge of the Sith is up next, unless someone can convince me it's vital to watch the Clone Wars cartoon first. I'm excited since I've heard nothing but great things about RotS. No spoilers please.

Planned order: TPM > AotC > RotS > SOLO > RO > ANH > ESB > RotJ > TFA > TLJ
The Clone Wars TV stuff is actually really good, but no it’s not vital.

RotS is why Ewan McGregor should have gotten a spin-off/prequel/whatever type movie before Solo was ever conceived. He’s goooooooood.

Reactions: teezzy

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
John Wick 3 hype at?
Certainly looking forward to it. I just hope they manage to top Wick 2. I know some people didn't like the last scene where everybody was starting to attack him, like bums and rando on the street, but having an entire movie where half the city is against him would be so incredible.
Hope it lives up to the expectations.