Community Movies/Shows you have seen recently or looking forward to...

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
I have never watched the CLERKS movies. Are they good?

First look on Wheel of Time in Entertainment Weekly:

Picture of the cast:

Overall I really like the look of the cast and I am hyped for the (teaser) trailer that hopefully drops in the near future :blobeyes:

There are other pictures in the article but they may be spoilery for those people who have not read the books...

• Love
Reactions: ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I like Rand and Perrin, not sure about Mat. I am missing the "roguishness".

Awww men, so many great scenes and story lines. I really do hope they don't fuck it up!

Reactions: Pommes

Minsc

Aug 7, 2021
I have never watched the CLERKS movies. Are they good?

Picture of the cast:

Overall I really like the look of the cast and I am hyped for the (teaser) trailer that hopefully drops in the near future :blobeyes:

There are other pictures in the article but they may be spoilery for those people who have not read the books...
Looking good, I'm not 100% sold on the cast yet, but seeing them in motion will help me like them more! Can't wait for a trailer.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I saw this film in a watch along stream recently.

It's been years since I've read the book, but the pacing and the twist was pretty good. I enjoyed it!

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I'm watching Samurai Jack right now and its funny because in season 2 one of the episodes that Genndy did the storyboard for has a Star Wars reference. The reference is that one scene with "Luke I am your father" and well a few years later Genddy would go on to be in charge of the Star Wars Micro Series.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Catching up with the MCU ! I’m nearly done, obviously, as I just watched… Thor 1 :face-with-open-mouth-and-cold-sweat:

And this was not good, pacing is shit throughout and kills the movie. As a Thor intro, I guess it gets the job done.

Really in a TV/Movie mood, I just have 20 years of missed content, no pressure.

• This!
Reactions: PC-tan

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Sweet baby Jesus at the price of Netflix these days.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Catching up with the MCU ! I’m nearly done, obviously, as I just watched… Thor 1 :face-with-open-mouth-and-cold-sweat:

And this was not good, pacing is shit throughout and kills the movie. As a Thor intro, I guess it gets the job done.

Really in a TV/Movie mood, I just have 20 years of missed content, no pressure.
Don't watch Thor 2. It's even worse. Never bother to watch 3 and Loki thanks to that awful movie.

Among the tiny fraction of Marvel movies that I have watched, Captain America and X-MEN (not sure if those count as MCU) are the good ones.

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Don't watch Thor 2. It's even worse. Never bother to watch 3 and Loki thanks to that awful movie.

Among the tiny fraction of Marvel movies that I have watched, Captain America and X-MEN (not sure if those count as MCU) are the good ones.
Good news, Cap is next on my watchlist. Not too hot on the fact that I suppose it's set during WWII, but the trailer I saw yesterday was pretty good.

• Comfy
Reactions: Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Good news, Cap is next on my watchlist. Not too hot on the fact that I suppose it's set during WWII, but the trailer I saw yesterday was pretty good.
That's good to hear. Captain 2 is set in modern days, btw. I wouldn't say they are great movie, but I definitely had a good time watching them.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
The issue doesn't reside in the light vs dark itself, it's a common trope and an effective one that makes it easier to grab the audience and avoids unnecessary lore or story dumps, the issue is when that's all there is to it. I'm not going to pretend to be super well versed in the marvel universe or that I've seen every single movie but from the 4 that I've seen I'm yet to notice anything more complex or nuanced than the hero vs villain framework.
Every great story has some kind of meta message or metaphor for the audience to take away and this is true for movies, books, games, etc, every type of media in existence. Even "dumb action movies" are capable of doing this like Terminator, Matrix or The Dark Knight, just to name a few. The good vs bad framework is there but it's only background for the more important and complex message/story they are trying to convey.
I am quoting you here to avoid off topic discussion in the Steam thread. Which four Marvel movies have you seen?

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I am quoting you here to avoid off topic discussion in the Steam thread. Which four Marvel movies have you seen?
Good idea.
I've seen Iron Man, Ragnarock, Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame, so 5 actually. I've also seen parts of the others but just bits here and there, maybe 2h viewtime once you add everything.

Reactions: Alexandros

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
And that’s Love Death Robots s2 down. Maybe no real stinkers but on the other hand most of it is anecdotal. Snow in the Desert was very good, and yeah Pop Cap, oh boy, that one was something.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Ok, Captain America - The First Avenger is done.
It was in several ways better than Thor, and in some others, not as much. It's a far better paced movie, where things happen, in stark contrast with Thor. That being said, I couldn't help but feel bored during the last part of the movie. No matter the amount of action on screen, it felt... meh ?
But I'm a comic book lover, and Marvel movies, at least in Phase I, did themselves no service to me in being origin stories. It was needed, but that doesn't help me keep being interested when I know these stories by heart. And Cap, while fucking iconic, had no shiny powers, so 10 minutes of watching him fighting Hydra in middling fight scenes can feel long.
But yeah, better, when it works, it's far better paced and narrated than Thor. I would say Chris Hemsworth had more charm than Chris Evans, but that's nit-picky. I wasn't convinced but Evans feels more or less like Captain America. Tucci was super good, too.

One unrelated thing.
I'm not a movie buff to the point of knowing a thing about the different sort of films that are used during, well, filming. But I can say that there are several moments when the movie IQ felt both sharp and cheap, like a home video. I relatively hate this feeling but I suppose I should get accustomed to it, modern way of filming movies I suppose.

• Comfy

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
You guys have to take in consideration that MCU phase one was not an established full blow comic book adaptation phenomenon yet, they were still trying to be somewhat grounded by the era standards, until Age of Ultron, more or less, the line they would not cross was pretty clear.

Todays MCU is just balls to the walls crazy shit tho'.

Reactions: Li Kao

BoosterDuck

Goon Squad
Sep 20, 2018
end of an era
and yeah family guy jumped the shark when it went hd in 2010 but it put adult swim on the map and got a third wind because of it

• Toucan
Reactions: dummmyy

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
i guess im lttp but i started watching Mythic quest and its been just as good as people have said. everybody is great on this show.

also ep 5 was felt in my soul

• Eyes

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Watched that new Reminiscence film on HBOMax with Hugh Jackman.

Really boring movie with a lot of generic/familiar concepts and bland romance. Not enough action. They took ideas from 10 movies you seen before and made something very uninspiring with it. There is a little minority report and I swear I think this movie even kind of ripped off a Stallone movie from the 90s. Or maybe I am misremembering it. But it all felt like I've seen this shit before. I don't get why they make such a safe film when they know its on streaming day one. A lot of neat ideas/scenes with global warming, flooding and inception gone to waste. meh.

Kind of expected more from Jackman. He needs to return to Wolverine role asap if this is what he is gonna do now.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I know he is also filming another Wick movie but he should have cut his hair for this. It doesn't look right for Neo lol.

And yea that trailer had some train scene hopefully its a good action piece.

I rewatched trilogy earlier this year and all 3 solid movies. Reloaded had some bad cgi but it was still ambitious asf.

The first is still 5 stars so I think this new one has no chance of topping it. The best thing a new one can do is open the doors for new actors and make more movies with them because the concept is still entertaining.

• Love
Reactions: dummmyy

Kuroyume

Spokes for the Wheel of Torment
Oct 21, 2018
Malignant was awful. Admittedly, I've never been a James Wan fan. Hated the Saw films, and thought Insidious and the Conjuring were awful after the first ~20 minutes (the build up in those films were solid). Malignant has nothing going for it though, other than the soundtrack. No good scares and bad acting is all I got out of it. Really disappointing given the buzz its been getting.

• Toucan
Reactions: yuraya

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I’ve had to process in how do I feel about the matrix trailer. At first I was at unease because it just felt so different. But after letting all the hype just wash over me and then looking at it more closely and seeing still for the movie I am so fucking hyped now!

I’m ready

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Malignant was awful. Admittedly, I've never been a James Wan fan. Hated the Saw films, and thought Insidious and the Conjuring were awful after the first ~20 minutes (the build up in those films were solid). Malignant has nothing going for it though, other than the soundtrack. No good scares and bad acting is all I got out of it. Really disappointing given the buzz its been getting.
The final 30 minutes was really good tho. Very funny :ROFLMAO:

But yea it didn't feel like a James Wan movie at all.

Felt more like some horror movie Tarantino would make in the 90s. Some Scream vibes for sure. It has that cozy troll feel.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Binge watched the first 9 episodes of It's Always Sunny on Disney+
Big mistake. I'm now mildly hooked and those motherfuckers only have the first two seasons. And this show is incredibly difficult to find on the French Internet. What am I gonna do now, assholes ?

Not in love yet but this horrible bunch is really growing on me. De Vito is an incredible addition to the show too.

Kuroyume

Spokes for the Wheel of Torment
Oct 21, 2018
The final 30 minutes was really good tho. Very funny :ROFLMAO:

But yea it didn't feel like a James Wan movie at all.

Felt more like some horror movie Tarantino would make in the 90s. Some Scream vibes for sure. It has that cozy troll feel.
I may re-watch it with a different mindset. I hadn't see any trailers nor read any previews prior to watching it, so I was expecting another supernatural flick along the lines of The Conjuring and Insidious because that's what Wan's been doing for a while now. It appeared to start off that way with the shadowy figure's first kill, but when it became evident that the creature was scared of getting shot and apprehended it just took me out of the film because I wasn't expecting it to be more creature rather than demonic. Then after my mini review in this thread I read a comment on twitter on how this was a nod to Giallo films of the past... And then I was like holy shit, that flew over my head.

It's very similar to Argento movies like Opera and Deep Red.

• The bright and colorful aesthetic is very reminiscent of those films
  • Moronic plot that doesn't make much sense
  • The killer wears all leather including wearing leather gloves
  • The kills usually involve stabbing people to death
  • The killer speaks with a deranged voice
  • There's a twist with the identity of the killer
  • The main character in this film is frozen in place as she's forced to watch the killer murder people which is similiar to what the killer does in Opera

Reactions: yuraya

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Cacher When you've come back from the Cinema after watching Dune 2021 find some time to watch this infamous fan-edit of the original film.

• Evil

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I'm conflicted about Dune, I loved it when it comes to as an experience, but I was also bored because its super slow. I will be hyped for the second one when it comes!
It's pretty weird. I don't like Arrival and consider Blade Runner 2049 to be a mediocre movie, but I really, really love Dune. I think the slow pace works very good here. It fits the desolate environment of a desert planet so well.

Oh, I will also watch the fan edit later.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Made a list of 31 horror films to watch in October thanks to a STEAM post by FunktionJCB

Not final yet and not sure about the order.

1. Nightmare on Elm Street
2. Nightmare on Elm Street 2
3. Nightmare on Elm Street 3
4. Nightmare on Elm Street 4
5. Nightmare on Elm street 5
6. Halloween (1978)
7. Cabin In The Woods
8. Event Horizon
9. Colour Out Of Space
10. The Thing
11. Hereditary
12. Midsommar
13. Halloween (2018)
14. Drag Me To Hell
15. Apollo 18
16. Evil Dead
17. Evil Dead 2
18. Evil Dead 3
19. Evil Dead Remake
20. Silent Hill
21. Luz: The Flower Of Evil
22. The Mist
23. 30 Days Of Night
24. The Shining
25. Blair Witch Project
26. Curse Of Chucky
27. Dark Skies
28. It
29. It Chapter 2
30. The Void
31. Hellraiser

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Watched a lot of shit yesterday !
  • Two episodes from It's Always Sunny s2
  • The two first Haunting of Hill House episodes
  • The three first Monty Python's Flying Circus
-> MEH !

Philly is known quantity. I hated how Dennis and Dee went out of their way in mediocrity in the welfare episode, but the next one, 'Mac bangs Dennis' mom', was so good that all was forgiven.

Hill House was interesting in that as I had read, Flannagan's horror is deeply rooted in character drama. Except it's, seemingly like every fucking modern show I see, slow as shit. Ten fucking 50 minutes episodes ? Really ?
On the bright side the two first episodes are supposed to be the weakest.

And finally Monty Python was... dated ? boring ? uneven ? sometimes extremely great ?
...Chapman was so good :confounded-face:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Finally watched Dredd (2012).

It was not super faithful to the source material in its depiction of Mega-City One, both aesthetically and technologically. It was also, and that's my main beef, incredibly one note. The movie is relatively short, the plot straight, no twist or added material along the way. You see the trailer, you imagine that for 90 minutes along some hyper violence, there, that's Dredd.

That being said, when all is said and done, when you have made peace with the super simple plot, I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the ride and if by the ending scene I wasn't thinking how cool it would have been to get a sequel.

Not unmissable, not that re-watchable, but a good time.

So I made the most logical thing I could...
I started the Complete Case File #12 :dmcblob:

Big up to our Brit-Cit fellow EdwardTivrusky

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I started watching Mythic Quest (thanks to Firewithin mentioning it). Can't believe that this show is produced by Ubisoft because the satire towards modern gaming can be all found in their games.

EP5 is indeed a masterclass of storytelling.

Reactions: Firewithin

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
The new 3d He-man cartoon on netflix is rather nice.

Also Kid Cosmic S2 was great. Show has been an entertaining ride from start to finish.