Community New music / recommendations

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018

Had no idea Elena Tonra of Daughter released a solo album last year, really great stuff so far!

Reactions: lashman

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Does anyone here care for singer-songwriters with a classic country style?

I found this 23 year old kid from Canada (Saskatchewan) who has a voice that sounds like he's been smoking cigarettes in an old bar for the past forty-five years...but he's only 23!

If you're into this kind of music, I think you might like this. I found Tracks 1-4 to be particularly good. He could do with more polishing, but hey, he's only 23. Time to grow yet.

xist

Healing...
Nov 14, 2018
Well, my dog dragged me over in the dark last week, fracturing my wrist and cracking a couple of ribs....so that could have been better. Feel slightly more positive a week down line...so there's that...

There's a link to grab their album free in the video description too.

ListeningGarden

目をそらした瞬間
Nov 12, 2018
Discovered a new group lately in the Doom/Dark Jazz space. It's one of my favorite subgenres, being that it borrows so heavily from the cigarette smoke-veiled atmosphere of Angelo Badalamenti's jazz pieces from the Twin Peaks soundtrack. Senketsu No Night Club is the most recent addition to the relatively small group of artists within the space, borrowing some aspects from experimental Japanese film - as seen by the titles of some songs from their other album.

One of my favorite acts is Bohren & Der Club of Gore, who were one of the earlier bands to fully embrace the sound. If you liked Senketsu No Night Club above, I'd recommend listening to their album Sunset Mission. But they often explore the ends of what "Doom" and "Dark" mean in the context of the music and change their sound from album to album as they shift focus. My favorite to date is Dolores, which has an almost funeral-like quality without being overtly cheesy.

Most bands prefer to remain instrumental, but a few groups have vocalists that add significant texture. Dale Cooper Quartet & The Dictaphones (a quite on-the-nose reference) features both male and female vocalists, each fulfilling their own roles as either an aggressive croon or a whisper from a dream.

And of course, there's the more expansive work of the Killimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble, who weave atypical instrument choices for the genre into their performances to give everything a more orchestrated feel.

Unfortunately, there's not much further to branch out from on this aesthetic alone, but every once in a while a new group shows up to keep the lights dimmed and the whiskey poured. Load up rainymood along with one of these if you really want to bring the mood down low!

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
Discovered a new group lately in the Doom/Dark Jazz space. It's one of my favorite subgenres, being that it borrows so heavily from the cigarette smoke-veiled atmosphere of Angelo Badalamenti's jazz pieces from the Twin Peaks soundtrack. Senketsu No Night Club is the most recent addition to the relatively small group of artists within the space, borrowing some aspects from experimental Japanese film - as seen by the titles of some songs from their other album.
How have I not heard of these subgenres before? That's daaaaamn good.

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
This thread needs more kpop

(G)I-DLE

Apink

Loona (well technically one of their subgroups)

More Loona (technically one of the girls, or two if we count the featured girl)

Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I've been watching various Kamen Rider shows lately, so I'll leave some Kamen Rider songs here~

OP

Deleted member 113

So is this thread for what we're currently listening to?
Or is it just new music? I don't really listen to new music.
Nah, feel free to post whatever you like. ;)
I already posted a lot of tracks from Soul Coughing and Super Furry Animals, all from the 90's.
I mostly listen to older stuff myself, particularly Talking Heads, and the above mentioned bands.

---

But, speaking about actual new music, the new Ladytron album is out, and it's very good.
Funnily enough, the drummer on the album was Igor Cavalera (from Cavalera Conspiracy, and former Sepultura drummer). :unsure:
It's well worth a listen, for fans of synth-pop.

Reactions: Stevey and lashman

SaviourMK2

A Kamen Rider just passing through
Jan 1, 2019
I've been really into covers lately, one of my favorites, Little V, recently released his first Power Rangers song. I added it to my daily workout/stretches playlist. It actually makes me feel stronger.

Reactions: dot and lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Someone mentioned covers? Have some more, a selection of my go-to favourites :)

I love this cover by the kids at the O'Keefe Music Foundation:

I prefer the earlier days of Postmodern Jukebox but it's been a while so i need to check out their more recent stuff. They can be a bit samey but when they get it right, Pow! Amazing.

xist

Healing...
Nov 14, 2018
Some really good Atmospheric Black Metal at the name your price Bandcamp tier..

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Heckin' Fell! Ihaven't thought about Accept for YEARS!
Post automatically merged:

... and now some Electric Wizard for a nice bit of fuzzy filthy drone...

Lovely.

Last edited:
Reactions: xist and lashman

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
This doesn't quite fit in with the thread, but if anyone watches the NBA, this parody of Ariana is straight-fire:

Luminaire

별이 빛나는 하늘
Feb 28, 2019
If you're into metalcore, I'd highly recommend Windrunner's latest album MAI.
They're a melodic progressive metalcore band from Vietnam.

I've been gushing about them to friends for the past few weeks.
Maybe someone here might like 'em too.

OP

Deleted member 113

RIP Keith, you were awesome. You stopped and chatted to a friend when their motorbike had a problem and they were pulled over at the side of the road, really nice guy. Damn.

P.S. Sorry, not sorry i didn't post Firestarter even if it's what most know you by.
Yeah, sad news. 😢

At the time, I rather enjoyed their first two albums, especially tracks like: