Community New music / recommendations

Luminaire

별이 빛나는 하늘
Feb 28, 2019
Dreamcatcher
Deja Vu
Kpop / Rock
The newest Dreamcatcher song is incredible. Its more like a rock/metal ballad with pianos and strings running along verses and pre-chorus while heavy guitars and pounding drums elevate the chorus. The video is a treat with many wonderful elements and themes, striking visuals, and a concept that continues to play along their dark fantasy/horror vibes. I need to check the lyrics as people say they're really powerful and sad while fitting in with the concept of the video. I love every bit of it, especially when their main rapper starts singing.

Blizniak

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2018
Seeing Minami Deutsch live was a blast so now I just browse upcoming concerts and check out whoever looks interesting. Gonna go see these guys live in 2 weeks

OP

Deleted member 113

For a band like Pixies, any new material ends up being judged against their older stuff, and people mostly react poorly to it.

But, I must say I rather like some of the tracks from their new album:

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

Luminaire

별이 빛나는 하늘
Feb 28, 2019
Orbit Culture
Nensha
Melodic Death / Groove Metal
Orbit Culture is one of my favorite bands of all time. The moment I saw they were putting out a new track my heart thumped. "Rasen" is one of my top ten albums, which I think I've mentioned before, but I cannot state how much I adore that album. I'm incredibly excited for their next album in 2020. They released this track and I absolutely love it. It's so aggressive and crushing. The riffs are perfect, the vocals excel in both the clean and harsh sides, and the new drummer is intensity incarnate. Part of me had a minor concern that their new works would push more towards clean vocals over harsh due to their last EP being maybe 60% clean and 40% harsh, but this song puts those fears to rest. They know what they're good at and they to balance it 50-50 without falling into that rote harsh verse, harsh verse, clean chorus formula that so many metalcore/melodeath bands abuse.

CY8ER
Summer
Jpop
Mashiro (whose rap project is SHACHI that I've linked before) has a group with a few others based more on cyberpop. Bouncy and fun with a catchy melody and hook. It's been stuck in my head for a few days.

Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Stronger, The Further You'll Be
Rock / Metal / Electronic
It's great to see this band back after facing some really hard times. with the departure of one of their guitarists and the death of their bassist, it's been kind of a heartbreaking period of time. Yet they've bounced back just as intense as before. They're a very aggressive rock/metal band with harsh growls, vocoder cleans, and tons of electronic and dance elements. The last scene of the video is really touching as the new bassist is carrying Kei's (the one who passed away) signature bass.

Sonamoo
We Are Legendary
Kpop
Sonamoo's been around a while but has never really been huge. They've had some members come and go and seem to have had some label shenanigans over the past couple years. I quite like the new song, it's quite fun and has some great aggressive rap verses. Very heavy club/dance sound.

Saturday
BByong
Kpop
A smaller new group with a lot of talent but not a lot of exposure. They've had some really catchy songs and this one is no different. The structure of the song is quite good with heavy bass and a catchy (trumpet?) melody. There's a lot of fierceness and attitude that elevates their concept above a lot of the usual schoolgirl newcomer groups.

Ironbunny
23 -twenty three-
Jpop / Hard Rock / Alt-Idol
Pop Idols. Hard Rock. A cyborg rabbit guitar virtuoso shredding on stage. Premise aside, they're a very interesting group. The vocalists are very strong, leading to that hard and heavy rock sound that groups like Band-Maid excel in. The guitarwork is great and the song itself has a very punchy attitude and heavy sound.

BRATS
Unfair
Rock
BRATS have been playing together since they were 11, two of them being sisters. It's heartwarming to see them keep at their dream as they grow up and get better at composing music and performing live. They've improved much over the years and put out consistently good music. There's still that scrappy punkish element to them. The main vocalist has a great tone and jpop/kawaii metal followers might recognize her as a former member of Ladybaby.

As I Lay Dying
Blinded
Melodic Metalcore
It's been a weird road with this band. I grew up listening to them with friends. When news broke that the singer tried to have his wife assassinated, I pretty much swore off everything about the band for the longest time. He did time in prison and after seeing the band announce they were getting back together, I grew curious on how they even reached that point. It looks like prison was the best thing for the singer as he's a completely changed and better person who runs programs for trouble youths, counsels prisoners, and is an overall really good person now who is remorseful for his actions of the past but also thankful for being given a chance to redeem himself. After seeing the people he betrayed give him another chance, I figured I'd at least hear their story. All that said, I'm glad I've heard them out and checked out the album. It's their best work of their careers and it goes to show that people can change and improve.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018

This next one might be a bit familiar to most of us...

Oh, Sheep on Drugs have a new track out, well it's from June but it's new to me.

I remember seeing them live in a small club back when their first EP was out.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman
OP

Deleted member 113

I've only gotten into them more recently. I knew they were bjorks band but never listened proper
I liked the band when they were around, and I still remember listening to Björk's multiple collaborations (with 808 State, for example) that paved the way for her solo career.

I actually think Björk sounded more "alive" when she was in the band.
Her voice had such a raw, "euphoric" sound to it that she rarely matched with her solo efforts.

I really enjoyed her first two solo albums, but after that, I personally though things started going downhill, and most of the times it sounds like she is trying (too hard) to sound "weird" just for the sake of being weird.

OP

Deleted member 113

Since we are fast approaching "that" time of the year, here's a playlist (not mine) full of music appropriate for the season:

It's a pretty cool selection.
Plenty of Italian horror soundtrack music, John Carpenter tracks, stuff like Oingo Boingo, Ministry, The Dickies, The Specials, and plenty more.