|OT| Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) news & discussion - No, it's not just a flu

Mar 1, 2019
Yeah I got a letter today to get flu shots for free so I will do it, it will be for the first one in my life haha. Usually I never get sick so never felt the need.
Awesome!
Please don't forget to do so.

Vaccination is not just about preventing yourself from getting infected.
Even with the flu you may not feel sick or have noteworthy symptoms, but still spread it.
Vaccination can help to stop spreading diseases and protect people unable to get vaccinated. There are many of them out there. All they can do is rely on the rest of us to act in responsible ways. It's a bit like the herd immunity thing.

Reactions: Monooboe

Hektor

CHIE SATONAKA ON STEAM
Nov 1, 2018
The student i am sharing an office with was sent into quarantine because his teacher is confirmed infected.
Student went for tests and we're supposed hear back tomorrow if the student is infected as well or not.

If the student got it however, it is very likely i will as well because he was one of the few people it is impossible to striclty follow all rules with...

oooooffff

Oct 30, 2018
France
Things are not heading the right way in France. Today, 18k new cases. Apparently, additional measures will have to be enforced at some point. Lockdown was necessary back then, because exponential growth does not bode well with over-confidence and lack of preparation. Lockdown does not solve anything though.

And situation in so many places is currently much worse than in France:

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: ISee ๐Ÿ‘€

Trisolarian

MetaMember
Jul 12, 2019
I'm starting school next week and its in class and not sure how I feel about that.
I feel you. Cases are rising where I live too and school is still going on. My mom works as an assistant to disabled children in public school and she's in and out now. I worry.

On the other hand, hard, italy/wuhan/nyc lockdowns are so hardcore that I'm not sure any country's population has the will to accept another one. The kind of trick that you only do once. So a bad option. Totally opening up is the worst option, literally feeding bodies to the economy grinder until people get terrified and stop going out and the everything crashes anyway. So, restrictions and guidelines and trying to do the best we can ends up being the best of a bunch of bad options.

I've been stocking up on the sly a bit, getting ready to voluntarily skip store trips.

Trisolarian

MetaMember
Jul 12, 2019
Trisolarian I'm going to school for app development and if there is one field that is good for "work from home" it's that one! I actually thought it was when nI signed up so I was surprised when I got info about the when and where. I'm still hoping they will move to or have a lot of work from home stuff.
I'm sure that they will have something remote available for you if needed. I did a lot of training (not for programming but for things like networking) and most of it was doable on a computer or with a book. Good luck in Uni tho!

Reactions: Monooboe

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Paris is so fucked, fuuuuuuuuucked. Went out to a cafe and for a walk in central Paris and I have never seen so much people out. And I lived on those street for two years.
Do you mean homeless people, or people who don't give a damn and are hanging out and facilitating the spread of the virus?

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I mean just people in general. Streets were packed in a way I have never experienced and all restaurants and cafes were full.
What's wrong with people... I mean, here we also have a general feeling of "this doesn't really affect us" or "this is already over because steroids" but this is just BS in the context of the city having to shutter past a certain hour. They have to know it's getting bad. Besides, COVID fucks you up in more ways than just killing you.

There is nothing noble or defiant about this, there is no common sense or positive side to it. It's just dumb, and I don't get it.

Monooboe

0,40% PC Gamer
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
perttiteurajarvi.com
What's wrong with people... I mean, here we also have a general feeling of "this doesn't really affect us" or "this is already over because steroids" but this is just BS in the context of the city having to shutter past a certain hour. They have to know it's getting bad. Besides, COVID fucks you up in more ways than just killing you.

There is nothing noble or defiant about this, there is no common sense or positive side to it. It's just dumb, and I don't get it.
What surprises me a lot is that is seems to be a lot of tourists , that should be the first thing to shut down:

Reactions: Pommes and Swenhir