|OT| Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) news & discussion - No, it's not just a flu

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Ok, so Germany now decided to make wearing masks a requirement for storesand public traffic

cool

especially with them being sold out everywhere

am i just supposed to like

not buy groceries

and starve

?
Same here. If a friend hadn’t give me one last Friday I would have starved during the weekend.

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
Ok, so Germany now decided to make wearing masks a requirement for storesand public traffic

cool

especially with them being sold out everywhere

am i just supposed to like

not buy groceries

and starve

?
Depending on where you are a scarf may be sufficient enough to fullfil the new rules (e.g. in NRW). At least as long as it covers mouth and nose.
I also heard that many local tailors (Änderungsschneiderei) started producing masks. Maybe that is an option?

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I've started to avoiding covid-related news as much as I can lately. I'm focusing on my work and relaxing outside of work hours now.

My city has finally started the lockdown since yesterday, though I doubt people will actually care. The number of the reinforcers is ridiculously too sparse compared to the number of people they have to deal with. Tomorrow is the first day of Ramadan as well, which makes things more complicated.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Because not everybody was allowed to open up shops, those big companies like H&M, C&A etc. sued because it is unfair to them. They naturally won and now everything is opening in my city. The goal was to slowly open things, the goal was to control the infection rate so it can stay below 1.0, shopping miles were supposed to not be made extremely attractive and to prevent a sudden rush and mixture of people.

Thank you, you f*, selfish, capitalistic swines for not understanding and caring. Just interested in starting to make profit for your shareholders asap again.
It took us 5 weeks to slow down the infection-rate to 0.6 and we are already back at 0.9.

1.1 means we are going to be overwhelmed by October
1.2 means August
1.3 means Juli

But thank god we can make some profit for shareholders again! Worth it.
I'm furious.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
ISee Shit that's fucking awful, as Swedish I'm ashamed of H&M. I guess to the only good outcome of that is that more people will hopefully flock to the left seeing how destructive capitalists are.
No need to apologize, not your fault. Individual shops sued and not the whole companies btw.

In my city it was the branch of a poor company making 17 billions per year. Understandable that they were not able to wait a couple more weeks.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Because not everybody was allowed to open up shops, those big companies like H&M, C&A etc. sued because it is unfair to them. They naturally won and now everything is opening in my city. The goal was to slowly open things, the goal was to control the infection rate so it can stay below 1.0, shopping miles were supposed to not be made extremely attractive and to prevent a sudden rush and mixture of people.

Thank you, you f*, selfish, capitalistic swines for not understanding and caring. Just interested in starting to make profit for your shareholders asap again.
It took us 5 weeks to slow down the infection-rate to 0.6 and we are already back at 0.9.

1.1 means we are going to be overwhelmed by October
1.2 means August
1.3 means Juli

But thank god we can make some profit for shareholders again! Worth it.
I'm furious.
Capitalism, where everything outside of money is an externality. Profit above people and all that. It's nauseating seeing what happened there :(.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Capitalism, where everything outside of money is an externality. Profit above people and all that. It's nauseating seeing what happened there :(.
The whole "market solves stuff" thing that defenders of the status quo believe (or pretend to) might actually work if all externalities were priced in.
Of course, that has never remotely happened and probably will never happen.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Most embarrassing thing about these US press conferences is that US prez can't even give passably cromulent answers. Its the first fucking trick of giving press conferences as a poli!!!

Reactions: NarohDethan

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Got my hand on two (non-medical) masks for myself, but good lord, it's hard to breath with those.
Went grocery shopping now and the entire frozen food isle was empty save for a few items. this is honestly much more scary to me than the virus itself.

Reactions: lashman

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Is it wise to gradually open up some businesses again? Not talking major shopping malls where people gather but stuff like electronic shops, car service/maintenance offices and the like? At the very least they can reduce how many people would be around such locations by doing scheduling when custoemrs could come in and such, and even focus on deliveries from shops instead of walk ins, but is that still wise?
Granted I would like such a thing to happen but this current situation has me questioning it >_>;

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Is it wise to gradually open up some businesses again? Not talking major shopping malls where people gather but stuff like electronic shops, car service/maintenance offices and the like? At the very least they can reduce how many people would be around such locations by doing scheduling when custoemrs could come in and such, and even focus on deliveries from shops instead of walk ins, but is that still wise?
Granted I would like such a thing to happen but this current situation has me questioning it >_>;
I would wait until June 1st to see the situation there.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Austria is more or less reopening (with many restrictions, i.e. no bars, minimum distances, no large gatherings, masks on public transport and in shops) on May 1st.

It's hard to argue against it, we've had <100 new infections per day for over 2 weeks now, and our hospitals are at <10% capacity.

(We were also really early with our shutdown, and quite severe about it compared to the number of infections)

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
We’re still having 1k cases per day, ain’t getting near people gatherings

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
One thing i am really weirded out by is just how widespread conspiracy theories are with this.
At least here in germany, conspiracy theories aren't a particular common issue the way they are in the US, where i, even though i'm not american, almost regularely hear of them.

But with this virus it's very different. Already two saw cars plastered in 5G CAUSES CORONA signs and every comment section i see online has a bunch of people calling it fake or stuff like "THE VIRUS IS THE NEW JEW"(???)

Reactions: NarohDethan

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
One week to go and freedom! But yeah it will take some time for society to go back to any kind of normalcy.
On the other hand, some kind of normalcy I think society could do without. Climate change requires action that we could use COVID's momentum for.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
On the other hand, some kind of normalcy I think society could do without. Climate change requires action that we could use COVID's momentum for.
You are right, I hope this has huge impact in the long run for industry, the capitalistic way of life and the destruction of the planet. But I think normalcy when it comes socializing is important, or at least a new normalcy where we can start to care about each other again, I think that would cement all the good changed that could happen.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
You are right, I hope this has huge impact in the long run for industry, the capitalistic way of life and the destruction of the planet. But I think normalcy when it comes socializing is important, or at least a new normalcy where we can start to care about each other again, I think that would cement all the good changed that could happen.
Or getting out at all. I'm aching for a good hike. I'm with you here :).

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
I am not sure how trustworthy this is, but I signed up for it:

Others seem to be having some luck.

Edit: There's a news article about it from my state:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
That massage therapist I met recently started to send me some copy paste covid19 conspiracy theory, didn't really read but it was something about AI and government trying to kill us. I told her not to fall for such things and she then goes of on vaccines and not wanting to die. Just makes me so sad.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
There were protests in various german cities across the weekend.

Mostly anti vaxxer, nationalists and conspiracy theorists protesting the "lockdown" and doubting that corona virus exists in the first place. Did you know that Covid-19 is a jewish conspiracy lead by Bill Gates? It is supposed to force vaccines upon us.
The typical, loud minority. Still media is only talking about them for four days now. Giving them more presence than the rest of the 99% of people who aren't idiots.

I don't get it. There is a difference between doing your duty and report on what's happening and allowing 10k idiots to take the nation hostage.
It's not a big deal, move on.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Mostly anti vaxxer, nationalists and conspiracy theorists protesting the "lockdown" and doubting that corona virus exists in the first place. Did you know that Covid-19 is a jewish conspiracy lead by Bill Gates? It is supposed to force vaccines upon us.
It is surprising to me to hear that these people exist in Germany, I mean, in sufficiently big numbers to organize a protest.

Was there a big failure of the education system at some point?

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Was there a big failure of the education system at some point?
Yeah, it's called social media and social bubbles.

Conspiracy theories are not a regional or zeitgeist problem. They always existed throughout history and across regions. Modern social media just allowed people to find each other and organize more easily. If you think there is a certain part of the world that is "unaffected" you are wrong.

If you, for example, believed in a flat earth in the 1960s you learned to shut your mouth because you encountered resistance every time you talked about it. Today it's easy to find equally minded people and to become trapped into mechanisms that enpower and fuel your conspiracy ideas.

The amount of dangerous, bad ideas and ideologies that social media is allowing to wildly spread is shocking. When this pandemic started I got the same "chain letter" over whats app from german, swedish, polish and french contacts. All advising me to drink water every 15 minutes, because that way I'd swallow the virus and it wouldn't be able to effect me + other ridiculous "facts". All well meant and all as logical as "the earth is flat because I do not notice a curvature if I look 1km towards the horizon".

In the end, it does not necessary has something to do with education. I once meat a medical doctor who strongly believed that electrons do not exist. A clearly well educated person, that was able to finish one of the more difficult academic careers possible.

Last edited:

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Local authorities say that this will last for another six months, I wonder if people will riot.

Reactions: ISee
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Local authorities say that this will last for another six months, I wonder if people will riot.
People probably won't need to.

From what I've seen so far, people can just open up their business and go to public areas as they please. Do the government even punish them?

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
From what I've seen so far, people can just open up their business and go to public areas as they please. Do the government even punish them?

Yup, we're fucked.

Reactions: ISee and texhnolyze

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018

"But don't we control Wales as well?"
No mush, not for a while now.

I'd be certain it was a staged comedy if it wasn't on the news. lol.
England is relaxing it's rules but Wales, Scotland and Ireland are saying hold on a bit and you'll be welcome to come back later on.

Reactions: ISee

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
I am not sure how trustworthy this is, but I signed up for it:

Others seem to be having some luck.

Edit: There's a news article about it from my state:

For those wondering, this website is legit. I signed up as an essential worker and was assigned a donor who sent me a $50.00 gift card for supplies or anything that I want.

Reactions: Tizoc and Pommes