Reviews Rate the game you finished/retired

OP
Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Finished Smile for Me

This is definitely the most creative and funny game I've played this year. You're playing as a florist who ends up in some kind of [UWSL]psychiatric institution[/UWSL], and your goal is to make the other residents smile by solving their problems and grieves. If you succeed, this person gives you an object that you need to make another person smile. Most of the puzzles are clever and make perfectly sense, and the characters you meet are incredibly funny and charming. Very, very recommended!

Score: 9.0/10

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I finished Gris

As someone who has started to develop a bit of a negative opinion towards indie sidescrollers, I was unsure whether I would like this game as much as the hype around would suggest. Gotta say there is no worry of Gris being an unimaginative 2D sidescroller. In fact, it's easily the most stylish game I have ever played. Every single frame in this game feels like a complex hand-drawn painting, with superb composition, incredible details and great use of contrasts.
I really liked how as you progress you don't just unlock the usual abilities of a 2D sidescrolling, like double jumps, but you also unlock colours: the world starts as a purely grey one, and slowly you add the basic colours and see the world transform around you, with trees and rain and water appearing as you progress through the game.

I really liked how Gris tells its "story": purely visually, with no dialogue or clearly understandable actions, even. It's trying to visualise the inner feelings of the protagonist, how they are struggling with their negative emotions. I'm still not completely sure what the game is about. My best hint comes from the achievements, some of which reference the five stages of grief. So the protagonist is grieving over some loss, perhaps? This is all ultimately very subjective, though.

I also really liked the dynamic use of music in this game. It kinda reminds me of the iMuse system in some older Lucasarts games, like Monkey Island 2, where the tune can suddenly get more epic or downbeat, depending on what you are doing, how close you are to some interesting spot for example. I again love how the game manages to naturally go from moments of relative silence, to effectively using a score to highlight what's happening on screen.

Loved my time with this gem, and looking forward to what the developer Nomada will do with their next project.

I rate this game 3 out of 3[UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL] prim[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]ary co[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]lours[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished Beckett (The Secret Experiment. 2018).

I learned about this game the other day after reading this review in this thread and thought it sounded interesting enough to squeeze in before the year (and Steam's Winter Sale) is over. It's an interactive fiction game that combines the fundamental mechanics of point-and-click adventure games with a pretty unique, collage-heavy art style.

Pro:
  • The game is a mood-piece and it worked quite well on me. I had to pause and wash up at one point because playing it made me feel dirty.
  • Looks and sounds like nothing else I've ever played, at least outside of really obscure itch.io finds.
Con:
  • That said, for people who have read a book or watched a film or two beyond their high-school curriculum, nothing in this game's words or visuals will be unfamiliar or particularly surprising. There's your Terry Gilliam, there's your David Cronenberg, there's your David Lynch. And a hint of Ken Loach, too. The game opens with a screen announcing that you're about to play a literary work of fiction. Ok, sure. Even considering that nothing's really new under the sun, this felt more like a remix of works of cult classic film.
  • The interactivity-level is pretty low. The game lets you skip things here and there, in some places your choices influence the order in which you get shown stuff. In terms of actual story developments, you can literally count the number of actual differences your choices make on one hand: Two. And yes, an achievement is tied to each. Feels wrong for a game with "literary" ambitions.

This is a deliberately dark, brooding and occasionally disturbing game, but unlike certain other games of that nature this one doesn't frustrate its player. If you were considering re-watching Eraserhead or Naked Lunch or perhaps even Dark City this winter, you're in the right mood to try this game.

4/5

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Finished

Making my 111th finished game this year, won't keep track next year though.

It was quite frankly overall a very lovely, chill and calm game. Cute graphic, story, great narrative and voice acting, nice gameplay. Overall a very enjoyable, cute, calm and chill game that I definetly will recommend. It's pretty much the antithesis of action and intense. No deadline, no timer, no game over, no death, no shooting, just a chill, calm, cute game. I even collected every collectible I found which I rarely do in games these days. Took me a little big over 5 hours to finish. Only negative is that the gameplay got a bit repetive at times.

Score: 8/10.

Last edited:

mssq

lurker
Apr 22, 2019
Managed to finish my 57th game this year!

Game is worthy to being called spiritual successor to first two Paper Mario games. It is lacking some of that Nintendo charm and a bigger budget wouldn't hurt. But it does surpass those two in some aspects like with the more in-depth combat system and the story actually evolves during the game and is well paced. Oh and the game has some pretty catchy tunes as well!

8/10

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Finished

Somewhat rough around the edges and the timeline system confused me somewhat. Still had quite a lot of fun with it as I liked the gameplay the difficulty made the game more fun for me. Quite short though, but a good fun game noneless..

Score: 7.5/10

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Happy New Year,

this is your quarterly reminder that there is a Google Docs Spreadsheet with links to every review for every game posted in this thread:

At the time of this post, there are 287 reviews for 230 games listed!

The most reviewed game is still Death Stranding with 6 reviews, followed by Carrion with 5, followed by Horizon Zero Dawn / Doom Eternal / Tell Me Why with 4 reviews each.

Keep on playing & posting!

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Finished

Took me exactly 1 hour including all the achievements. Loved the game, lovely story, great gameplay, amazing music, fantastic images, overall a fantastic game that I will heavily recommend, felt really grounded and "humane" too. I only wish it was much longer.

Score: 9/10

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Finished

Another short, but beautiful game. There are 13 chapters where you repair an object by dissasembling, replacign parts and assembling the object. It's about a girl traveling to a new town away from her parents meeting new people, fixing their stuff and discovering new thoughts about life, people and herself. Lovely gameplay, lovely story, great art style, great images, great animations, great voice acting, overall a gret chill game.

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
Finished

Fun game for a while, if you like to paint or are good at it you can do really beautiful paintings. Now, if you are like me, with no painting skills then the gimmick can get old fast since you are very limited by your own skills.

Otherwise a fun and relaxing experience.

6.5/10

Finished

Look, my last Call of Juarez game was that absolute garbage called The Cartel, this tries a more arcade-y approach and it does wonders. Just don't come searching for a deep plot or a serious game, just 4-5 hours of shooting.

7/10

Finished

This is a hard one, the enviroments and sound are great, and you have a lot of freedom on how to approach missions in this cyberpunk dystopia.

The bad things tho, almost no plot, most of the missions don't progress the story at all so it can get really repetitive. You can play however you want, but it shows that stealth is the developers choice since cloacking is op and gunfights are really hard to win.

I really enjoyed the world but I started getting bored towards the end, so take it as you like.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
You've been on fire lately, so many finished games! Don't forget to eat, sleep and take a walk outside now and then 😊
Well I have a lot of spare time so far (but not for long, school and studies starts soon) and the games I have finished so far are short, 1-4 hours.

My problem is that whenever I start on a game that takes 10+ hours I use A LOT of time. A game taking 15 hours to finish can take me 2-3 weeks.

I simply suck at finishing games longer than 10 hours, that's why I like to play shorter games often.

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
My problem is that whenever I start on a game that takes 10+ hours I use A LOT of time. A game taking 15 hours to finish can take me 2-3 weeks.

I simply suck at finishing games longer than 10 hours, that's why I like to play shorter games often.
Same.

Reactions: Angelo

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
75. Dead Space 3 - Replaces the suffocating claustrophobia of the 1st with shoot/bang jump scares and a weirdly encouraged co-op system. There is this other character that hangs around, not helping in fights, reappearing and disappearing like a fart in the wind at the most inconvenient times and generally making a nuisance of himself. He really should have been AI controlled as some content is gated off as co-op only and the game still uses origin to find partners. There is a new highly detailed gun customisation system but, let's face it, it's not dead space if you are using anything other than the Plasma cutter. ★★★ 1/2

76. Dead Space Awakened - Short and not particularly interesting coda to Dead Space 3. Reuses a lot of locations and for the price is an insult. ★ 1/2

OP
Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Retired Age of Wonders: Planetfall

I did my very best to like this game because it looks and sounds great, but it can't keep me interested at all. I've finished the (half-baked) tutorial and 3 of the campaign missions, but the story and exploring the world map are so boring and didn't excite me at all. The turn-based combat isn't very good either, so I ended up auto-resolving most of the battles. This game obviously isn't for me

Score: 5.5/10

Bonfires Down

Nov 18, 2019

Little Nightmares

It's a lot like INSIDE. And likewise, the gameplay here is pretty simple. I would have liked if there was a bit more to it, but I understand
if the devs didn't want any roadblocks in what is primarily a cinematic type game.

The art and the setting is fucking amazing, even better than INSIDE to me. It's a children's horror book come to life in the best way possible. Overall I really enjoyed Little Nightmares. Please be aware that I'm using something close to the EDGE scale, so this score is not by any means bad.

7.5/10

Hexen

The combat feels good, and the level design is fun and creative. But, even in the second level I've had my fair share of frustration pulling a switch and then having to search the whole level again to find what's changed. And these levels are pretty maze-like. I'd consider playing it with a walkthrough, but the ones I've found are either pure text or just video and I don't think either is ideal. I might have to drop this, which sucks as I enjoyed most of it. Doesn't seem like the sequel is any better at showing you the way forward either.

Doesn't want to be played/10

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I recently finished Wattam.

This feels like a spiritual sequel to Katamari Damashi. The same idea of taking every day objects and trying to look at them through new eyes. In Katamari Damashi it was about exploring things from the smallest scales and increasing it until you could interact easily with skyscrapers.
In Wattam, the focus is on actions and relations between objects. The mouth eats fruit, and produces .. well .. poop. The story itself is functional enough, and I liked the idea of focusing on the impermanence of things, of the understanding how valuable something is which you often only get after losing it.

Great and very short experience. Absolutely loved it.

Also finished The Unfinished Swan.

It's nice to see Giant Sparrow's first game, after What Remains of Edith Finch was released earlier this year. I must say I enjoyed this one a lot of more. It has the same incredibly creative spark as What Remains, but the tone is much more enjoyable and not needlessly grim-dark and bleak. What Remains is probably the better game, but Unfinished Swan is the more enjoyable one.
Really looking forward what this team comes up with in the future.

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
Finished

This was a Youtube darling some years ago, it's ok, music and sound are great aswell as the environment and the creepy feeling. The horror... not so much, too many jumpscares and sometimes it feels like the developers were just checking a list of horror clichés: ghosts? check creepy doll? check jumpscare opening a door? check.

I still feel like it's worth to try if you are a horror fan but not worth that much that you have to do all the endings since the game doesn't change that much.

The DLC is ok, like 1 hour long and the horror stuff it's really toned down, it relies more on the overall creepy and surreal feeling.

Finished

Ok so the only experience I had in the Half-Life franchise was Half-Life 1 back in the day. Black Mesa is a difficult game for me, the visual and sound design are superb, it really feels like a huge step forward and it's great to see so many memories in a more modern presentation.

But the game has some pacing issues for me, there are some sections that feel too long and Xen... well I'm again in a difficult position, Xen was the worst part for me in the Original Half Life and Xen in Black Mesa is just beautiful, great feeling of an alien world but it drags soooo loooong.

Again despite its flaws this is a classic and honestly I recommend just playing this instead of the ancient first one.

OP
Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Finished Zwei: The Arges Adventure

Zwei: The Arges Adventure is a very charming RPG that does many things right: a charming story and characters, exciting combat, excellent graphics and great dungeon design. Unique in this game is that you earn XP by using healing items, which works remarkably well.

On the other hand, this is a game from the PS2 era, and some design decisions didn't age very well. I can live with the unskippable cutscenes and clunky interface. But constantly having to run around figuring what to do becomes extremely annoying after a while. Be prepared to search the same area's over and over again to find a certain object or a new passage you can open.

I rarely use guides when playing games, but for this game is was mandatory for me to enjoy it.

Score: 6.9/10

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I rarely use guides when playing games, but for this game is was mandatory for me to enjoy it.
I didn't use a guide, but I actually ended up using a notebook to list all the dungeons and their levels.
That's literally the only way to keep in your head where you need to go next. So, very old school I guess :p

• Love
Reactions: Ge0force
OP
Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I didn't use a guide, but I actually ended up using a notebook to list all the dungeons and their levels.
That's literally the only way to keep in your head where you need to go next. So, very old school I guess :p
Respect for finishing this game without a guide! I started using a guide when I had to find that missing kid "somewhere in the forest", meaning I had to go through every f*cking dungeon in the forest again. I know that's how games were 20 years ago, but it feels like a waste of time nowadays.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden

Finished XCOM 2: War of the Chosen on easy (ain't got time for anything harder than that).

This is an extreme improvement on an already excellent game. The changes made to the strategic layer gives you a lot more options in how you play type campaign.

Just like XCOM: Enemy Within, with this expansion, there's really not much reason to play the base game anymore.

The Templars (my starting unit in the campaign) are extremely useful if you know how to use them. Rend combined with Reaper creates a total killing machine.

The Reapers are good for stealth but not much else.
And I personally did not find much use for the Skirmishers.

Managed to kill all the Chosen way before the campaign neared its end and I actually missed their appearances in the later parts of the campaign.

Mostly, I'm glad that I managed to start and complete my campaign during my parental leave, since my gaming time is quite limited at the moment. Playing a mission or even a few turns here and there has been really great.

What I liked:
• The new hero classes, especially the Templar
• The Chosen encounters
• The addition of the Lost on certain missions.
• The new changes to the strategic layer

What I didn't like:
• The campaign can drag on a bit in the later half, when you're waiting for the final research projects to finish and in the meantime are forced to go on random missions that interrupt your flow.
• Almost too many facilities to build, so you almost don't have enough slots in the Avenger to fit them all.
• It's very easy to build the Psi Lab too late and not getting very far with your Psi operatives

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
Finished The Outer Worlds. I knew going in that I shouldn't expect Obsidian's best work, but I'm honestly shocked at how much I disliked the game by the end.

The beginning was really strong. Meeting the guard who prioritizes repeating his company slogan over asking for help for his bullet wound (inflicted by his own company's gun misfiring) was great, and the initial trip through Edgewater kept the ultra-bleak black comedy flowing. Then the storytelling fell apart.

It seemed like in just about every quest, the game tries to pair off two conflicting groups, usually a corporation vs an independent. And each time, the game comes up with a way to make it so that rejecting the corporation outright is a terrible idea, and proposes that the best solution is always compromise. The first time it happened was irritating, because I hadn't spotted the pattern yet. I supported Adelaide's group over Edgewater, and when the game revealed that Adelaide was going to let most of the Cannery workers starve instead of integrating them into her community, it felt like a gotcha more than a natural consequence. Maybe it's because her camp had so few NPCs, but I didn't encounter any sort of telegraph that Adelaide was going to behave so coldly. Even if she did, I reasoned that it was better in the long run, so whatever. Later, a similar thing plays out on Monarch, with the MSI and the Iconoclasts. Except on Monarch, the Iconoclast leader is painted as a completely irresponsible buffoon, compared to the nice widdle CEO who doesn't tweat his workers as badwy as the other Corpos.

The game felt like it needed to propose multiple different approaches to dealing with the Board, where no solution was perfect, but instead it always posed the situations as The Board vs some asshole conjured from thin air to be comparably bad to the board. The game often seemed confused that I was trying to reject the corporations outright. One quest in Roseway straight up didn't give me a sensible option to engage with the bandits, because the game thought it was a choice between supporting Auntie Cleo's or being a lawless thief, seemingly forgetting that stealing the information to help the Groundbreaker was even on the table.

The game seems to genuinely think that letting the corporations continue to run amok would be the best option, as long as you could insert slightly more compassionate middle-managers into the process. It's infuriating, and it undercuts the game's own lore, given that the corporations are responding to the food shortage they caused by literally murdering people en masse.

But my problems don't end with the plot, because the gameplay was miserable too. The game works so hard to copy the mechanical loop of Fallout New Vegas, so you spend a massive amount of the time scavenging and looting for supplies. Now I don't want to call Fallout 4 a good game, but the decision in that game to make the junk you collect contribute towards base-building and crafting meant that a very scavenging-focused gameplay loop made sense. In The Outer Worlds, 99% of the shit you pick up is meaningless, but vacuuming up mountains of food and drink you'll never consume is the core of the game. It took me just shy of 25 hours to finish my playthrough, and it felt like half of that was dealing with my inventory.

The game also thinks shooting is way more critical than it is, so the worlds have combat encounters placed with comical density. Animals and marauders and rogue robots will be sitting within spitting distance of each other. It feels like they settled on smaller environments, and decided they needed more density to compensate for the lack of scale. But there's not that many types of enemies and the combat isn't particularly satisfying, so it just results in endless tedium, repeating the same encounters over and over. Bizarrely, the game seems to recognize that it's combat might be best skipped right at the end, where you get multiple locations you can just waltz through for free if you have even halfway decent dialog skills. In the final area, I literally skipped every single encounter other than the final fight, and without even hitting any terribly hard dialog checks along the way.

Now part of my gameplay gripes are my own fault, since I played on Supernova, which might be the worst implementation of an extra-hard difficulty I have ever experienced. To be fair to me, everything it promised sounded good. I like a challenge, I hate fast travel, and the survival elements could've made things a bit more interesting. In practice, the game's constant looting means you never want for food/water, so the survival elements are pointless. The game constantly respawning its boring enemies along the roads means the lack of fast travel gets really frustrating really fast. The saving system is a disaster, since it functionally means the optimal strategy is to constantly walk back to the nearest loading zone to trigger an autosave: pure tedium. Permadeath companions is a nightmare since they love wandering into danger. And the actual difficulty of combat seems to come from the enemies having gigantic damage output, but in a kind of random way. Most of the time when I died or lost a companion, it felt like bad luck more than any real mistake on my part.

So uhhh, bad plot, bad politics, bad gameplay, bad optional difficulty mode... but it wasn't all bad. The writing was good, even if the story wasn't. I really liked Parvati. The science weapons were fun. The art direction was excellent too. It's not completely devoid of value, but the downsides were just too much for me. I feel like people were being awfully generous in their takes on this game, possibly because Fallout 76 was happening around then.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Finished The Outer Worlds. I knew going in that I shouldn't expect Obsidian's best work, but I'm honestly shocked at how much I disliked the game by the end.

The beginning was really strong. Meeting the guard who prioritizes repeating his company slogan over asking for help for his bullet wound (inflicted by his own company's gun misfiring) was great, and the initial trip through Edgewater kept the ultra-bleak black comedy flowing. Then the storytelling fell apart.

It seemed like in just about every quest, the game tries to pair off two conflicting groups, usually a corporation vs an independent. And each time, the game comes up with a way to make it so that rejecting the corporation outright is a terrible idea, and proposes that the best solution is always compromise. The first time it happened was irritating, because I hadn't spotted the pattern yet. I supported Adelaide's group over Edgewater, and when the game revealed that Adelaide was going to let most of the Cannery workers starve instead of integrating them into her community, it felt like a gotcha more than a natural consequence. Maybe it's because her camp had so few NPCs, but I didn't encounter any sort of telegraph that Adelaide was going to behave so coldly. Even if she did, I reasoned that it was better in the long run, so whatever. Later, a similar thing plays out on Monarch, with the MSI and the Iconoclasts. Except on Monarch, the Iconoclast leader is painted as a completely irresponsible buffoon, compared to the nice widdle CEO who doesn't tweat his workers as badwy as the other Corpos.

The game felt like it needed to propose multiple different approaches to dealing with the Board, where no solution was perfect, but instead it always posed the situations as The Board vs some asshole conjured from thin air to be comparably bad to the board. The game often seemed confused that I was trying to reject the corporations outright. One quest in Roseway straight up didn't give me a sensible option to engage with the bandits, because the game thought it was a choice between supporting Auntie Cleo's or being a lawless thief, seemingly forgetting that stealing the information to help the Groundbreaker was even on the table.

The game seems to genuinely think that letting the corporations continue to run amok would be the best option, as long as you could insert slightly more compassionate middle-managers into the process. It's infuriating, and it undercuts the game's own lore, given that the corporations are responding to the food shortage they caused by literally murdering people en masse.

But my problems don't end with the plot, because the gameplay was miserable too. The game works so hard to copy the mechanical loop of Fallout New Vegas, so you spend a massive amount of the time scavenging and looting for supplies. Now I don't want to call Fallout 4 a good game, but the decision in that game to make the junk you collect contribute towards base-building and crafting meant that a very scavenging-focused gameplay loop made sense. In The Outer Worlds, 99% of the shit you pick up is meaningless, but vacuuming up mountains of food and drink you'll never consume is the core of the game. It took me just shy of 25 hours to finish my playthrough, and it felt like half of that was dealing with my inventory.

The game also thinks shooting is way more critical than it is, so the worlds have combat encounters placed with comical density. Animals and marauders and rogue robots will be sitting within spitting distance of each other. It feels like they settled on smaller environments, and decided they needed more density to compensate for the lack of scale. But there's not that many types of enemies and the combat isn't particularly satisfying, so it just results in endless tedium, repeating the same encounters over and over. Bizarrely, the game seems to recognize that it's combat might be best skipped right at the end, where you get multiple locations you can just waltz through for free if you have even halfway decent dialog skills. In the final area, I literally skipped every single encounter other than the final fight, and without even hitting any terribly hard dialog checks along the way.

Now part of my gameplay gripes are my own fault, since I played on Supernova, which might be the worst implementation of an extra-hard difficulty I have ever experienced. To be fair to me, everything it promised sounded good. I like a challenge, I hate fast travel, and the survival elements could've made things a bit more interesting. In practice, the game's constant looting means you never want for food/water, so the survival elements are pointless. The game constantly respawning its boring enemies along the roads means the lack of fast travel gets really frustrating really fast. The saving system is a disaster, since it functionally means the optimal strategy is to constantly walk back to the nearest loading zone to trigger an autosave: pure tedium. Permadeath companions is a nightmare since they love wandering into danger. And the actual difficulty of combat seems to come from the enemies having gigantic damage output, but in a kind of random way. Most of the time when I died or lost a companion, it felt like bad luck more than any real mistake on my part.

So uhhh, bad plot, bad politics, bad gameplay, bad optional difficulty mode... but it wasn't all bad. The writing was good, even if the story wasn't. I really liked Parvati. The science weapons were fun. The art direction was excellent too. It's not completely devoid of value, but the downsides were just too much for me. I feel like people were being awfully generous in their takes on this game, possibly because Fallout 76 was happening around then.
That's a good catch on the plot points.
I think this is mostly due to the limited scope of the game, where being a true anti-corporatist anarchist just wasn't an option they had the time and money to properly flesh out.
I think most issues you listed, while absolutely valid points, are all due to that one aspect: lack of scope. Taking the formula of New Vegas, which frankly this game is absolutely trying to do, it desperately wants to look like a spiritual sequel to that game, and scaling it down like this is just an exercise in frustration.

Reactions: Avern and lashman
OP
Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Finished Overcooked 2

Very decent cooking game, where you need to cook burgers, pastas and burritos within a strict time limit. There's plenty of variation in the story campaign, with different kitchens and various hazards and moving furniture. The game is designed to play in co-op, but can be played solo as well as it allows you to switch between the two cooks. Very enjoyable!

Score: 8.0/10

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Cyberpunk 2077

So I put 80 hours into this. Not often I can say that about a game.

At first I was a little unsure about this game. The systems felt a little obscure or under-explained, and the gunplay felt a little off, but I quickly got a feel for its systems and how it plays.

And you know what? It doesn't do anything remarkable. It's pretty much a Deus Ex/GTA hybrid, and it does nothing new that either of those games hasn't already done, but my god it is an incredible facsimile of both in all the right ways. This is something I've dreamed of for so long, and to see CDPR, despite all the justified negativity, still pull this off is outstanding.

I wish this game didn't have transphobic imagery, and I wish developers didn't crunch to get this game over the line (and frankly, the console versions aren't even that far yet), but what was produced at the end is a ambitious-yet-safe triumph. It's ambitious in how its merged immersive sims with a GTA-style open world, and safe in in how each of those individual gameplay genres do literally nothing to push it forward in any meaningful way.

Maybe my expectations are lowered because most open world AAA games have fallen into the live service trap and are predominantly shite, and Cyberpunk winds the clock back to GTA IV - when always-online microtransaction live service shit was a vague and undefined fantasy in Yves Guillimot's dreams - but Cyberpunk is the first big budget open world game in a long time that was the complete package, and actually good.

Quests are fun, but mostly samey. They involve driving somewhere, getting out of your car and doing the immersive sim thing. I'd have quite liked to have seen a bit more variety, but not at the expense of working CDPR's staff to death. And what we have is still very engaging and replayable, and I never got bored of it at all.

The writing in the side quests are good, too, if a bit basic. I like that each one has its own story, and you can read about these people's lives on their computers before you go kill them or sneak past them, and then they become a figment on the wind and don't matter any further. That sort of things creates the sense of a living, breathing world.

I also like that side-quests feed into each other. There were a few moments in the game where a choice I made earlier on comes back to bite me on the ass, or work to my benefit, and that interweaving gives you agency even if the path you're on is mostly set in stone.

As for the main story, I've only unlocked one ending, and I'm happy with that. I'm not one of those people who rewinds back and unlocks all the other endings, at least not on the initial run, as my V's story is a one and done thing. And the story was nothing special - it's kind of by-the-numbers lower-case-c cyberpunk fare, and plenty of writers have moved beyond this stuff or done it in more interesting ways since. But it's fine.

And the acting is good - Cherami Leigh as V's female voice is a great performance (to the point that I didn't even realise it was Leigh doing the performance, and I've picked her voice out in a number of things since playing Persona 5), and Keanu Reeves as Johnny Silverhand is obviously the other highlight. Their relationship is solid, and the performance of both actors helps with that. Other than the two stars (I haven't heard male V's voice so I've no idea if that performance is good or not), special props go to Emily Woo Zeller who voiced Panam - it's always great to hear a new voice and looking at her IMDB (no mega huge roles, especially not in games), this is hopefully the start of something good for her.

But now for some negatives.

I'll get the morally bad stuff out of the way first. The transphobia and crunch. I bought Cyberpunk in 2019 - pre-purchased on GOG with an old credit card that I cancelled before 2020 had even begun, and long before any reports of things in this game had come to light. When reading some reports about what was going on, I wanted to cancel my order, but there were a few issues preventing me. Firstly, I couldn't get my money back as the card was long dead, and secondly getting GOG credit is still giving CD Projeckt £50, only I'd be spending it on other games rather than Cyberpunk. I weighed it up and I couldn't see £50 worth of games I wanted on GOG vs playing Cyberpunk, so I kept my order.

That is a super flimsy excuse, and I acknowledge that. But my choices were limited. If I hadn't already pre-purchased I don't think I'd have bought it straight away, or if I'd bought it on Steam rather than GOG I'd have almost certainly got my money back in the form of wallet credit, but since I was stuck with the game I decided to play it. I can't justify the bad things that happened around the game, and I won't. It's inexcusable, and if you feel morally opposed to what CDPR has done I encourage you to not give them any money until they've somehow made it right. At the same time, I'm also not paying £50 for a game I won't play.

Then there's the fact that the game is clearly rushed. I never encountered any game-breaking bugs other than one BSOD that occurred when I started the game up once, but they are immersion breaking and a little annoying. Things like having to save and reload to make your car move, your character glitching in and out of your vehicle and the floor vanished under my feet once or twice were the minor ones. A few slightly more major ones were quests not progressing and character dialogue not loading (i.e. sometimes only hearing V's side of a conversation, or the other way around) Depending on how good your system is, the bugs will be worse, and compounded by poor performance to boot. And if you're planning to play on PS4/Xbox One - don't. Wait until you have a next-gen system, or at least one of the higher-end last gen systems (One X or Pro), before jumping in.

I wish there was just a bit more to the campaign. It feels a little barebones, needing to be padded out by side-stories. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I felt V's story moved at a little bit of a faster clip than I'd have liked. I think maybe one extra round of missions, maybe a few other side-characters leading to new romances and endings, might've put some flesh on the bones.

As I mentioned above, the game is wanting for some mission variety, too. I wish there were a few more quests that involved driving, or something a bit more high octane and a bit different (in the GTA flavour), which would've given the gameplay a bit more personality and created some memorable moments, which Cyberpunk 2077 is sorely lacking. It is to this game's credit that its gameplay-systems are so well-considered and implemented that you forget the game is lacking some real awesome setpieces until you think about it, but I think having them would've elevated the game to the next level.

Other than that, I don't have much more to say about it. I'll be playing Cyberpunk again once the bugs are ironed out a bit and there's some DLC to enjoy. I enjoyed my time in Night City, and I'm going to genuinely miss V and the characters she associated with. There's a lot of could-haves and should-haves with this game, but the end product is very well made and enjoyable, so other than the moral criticisms (which are very serious), take my negatives for what they are: quibbles.

9/10

FunnyJay