Reviews Rate the game you finished/retired

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished Lemmings (Team17 / Sony Computer Entertainment, 2006)

In 2006, Sony brought Lemmings back and put it on every piece of hardware Sony was selling at the time: Playstation Portable, Playstation 2 and Playstation 3. The three editions all had a slightly different feature set, with the PSP release having the most features (new original levels, remakes of the levels from the original 90s Lemmings, and a level editor with an online sharing feature) and the PS3 the least (just 45 original levels, which are unique and exclusive to PS3 though - and there's trophies) and the PS2 sitting somewhere in-between with the same levels as the PSP, but no level editor.

I played the original levels of the PS2 release and the PS3 release.

Pro:
  • Even though the original Lemmings game is famously mouse-centric, these versions work really well with the controller. The graphics still look 2D, but they're actually 3D, which means that you get a nice zoom feature. There's new catchy music in the spirit of the original Lemmings games as well, but of course sounding a lot better than what you got in the early days of 16-bit computing.
  • It's a very faithful Lemmings experience and people who know the original game will immediately feel at home. Everyone else will have the same learning experience as players had all the way back in 1991.
Con:
  • The harder levels in the original Lemmings tend to take away skills and force the player to come up with solutions based on strange edge-cases and unexpected behavior of the few skills that are granted. While this works to make things difficult, it also eliminates exactly the thing that makes the concept of the game so unique and charming. Sadly the level design for the hardest levels in this remake does the exact same thing.

3.5/5

Also finished LIT: Bend the Light (Copperglass, 2020)

A light-bending puzzle game. Direct a light-beam from an emitter around obstacles to a target, using mirrors, lenses and prisms.

There are a lot of games in this genre and I generally tend to like them, but this one is remarkable for its super-cozy styling - the warm color-scheme and the beautiful ambient music are as soothing as a cup of hot chocolate by candle-light.

4/5

Last edited:

spiel

Apr 17, 2019
Completed 20 Minutes Till Dawn

Well, as far as early access goes anyway. All achievements cleared! Now, I've not played Vampire Survivors, but after 20MTD I can see why it got so popular. 20MTD has the same addictive gameplay loop of killing enemies, picking up XP, levelling up, selecting upgrades, and eventually turning your synergies into projectiles splashing across the entire screen. All within a bite-sized play session, with juuust enough engagement required from the player via movement and shooting. A weakness is the upgrades you pick start to converge, because the upgrade trees are not very deep. So your builds start to feel samey after a while. But even that is kind of alleviated by choosing different characters or weapons. They come with their own gimmicks and shake things up a little.

10/10, the game is small in scope but does what it does very well

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Retired: Resident Evil Revelations

Figured I would get this backlog thing scratched off on the deck, but after 3 hours I am calling it quits. After Signalis (which for me was not mindblowing, but I liked it) this is just so...ordinary? No real atmosphere to speak off, very generic vibe, poor gunplay and too much of it..I reached some "fat zombie" boss and...nah, not gonna waste anymore time. Sorry Jill.

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
Finished Hitman GO

Fun turn-based puzzle game. While not as good as Lara Croft GO, I still enjoyed my time with it. I guess the only complaint I have about it are the controls. You can easily tell it's a lazy mobile port. To move, you have to left click & swipe. I couldn't use arrow keys or WASD.

Having said that, I still think it's worth buying when on sale if you're itching to play a puzzle game.

4/5

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Crysis Remastered...

Bought the bundle as it was pretty cheap. Only ever played this once quite a while ago and it ran like rubbish and i think a bug at the end stopped me from finishing it so thought id give it another go.

Its a good solid shooty game. The nano suit makes for some fun gameplay although i tended to just stealth around everywhere and blast away once up close. The AI is a bit sketchy at times and i still had frame drops from 60fps even after dropping some settings down which is a bit disappointing.
Overall i enjoyed it. Got a bit frustrating at the end. Kept dying over and over again at the final boss. It also crashed once and i thought it had corrupted my save as it took 3 goes at reloading.
First part of the game is the best for me, looks great, feels open but its quite linear which i actually quite liked. The tank section was fun too.

Give it a 7/10.

OP
Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Finished Pony Island

Hilarious puzzle game from the developer of The Hex and Inscryption. Some of the mini games are a bit repetitive, but the way the developer is trolling you is incredible. Definitely recommend!

Score: 8.0/10

Finished Legion TD2

Interesting tower defense games with 8 unique factions and well-designed co-op and PvP multiplayer. You'll have to survive 21 waves of different enemies, and also keep the money flowing by building enough workers. These workers mine crystals, which you can use to send extra enemies to the enemy playfield.

Major problem with this game is that you can only build and send units BETWEEN waves, during the 30 seconds you need to wait between each wave. This doesn't only increase the length of each game to almost half an hour, but also limits your strategic options since you can't do anything during the attacks but watching.

The positioning of your units is also hard to understand. One would think that placing low-armored DPS units behind tank units, but in this game it's actually better to split enemy damage between both units. You can figure this out by experimenting, but the majority of players are using optimal builds from streamers, which are almost impossible to beat.

The latter is what made me abandoning the (very active) multiplayer, but the campaign was definitely fun with the different factions.

Score: 7.8/10

Last edited:

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished Cloudpunk (ION LANDS, 2020)

Blade Uber

Pro:
  • The voxelized Blade Runner / Fifth Element homage visuals work perfectly to create the kind of comfy-but-dark scifi-noir atmosphere I hoped to get from this game. The soundtrack also liberally references Vangelis' music from the Blade Runner movie and is generally nice, except when it sometimes gets a little too exuberant and then sounds more like the music from Trials Fusion.
  • The focus on story and exploration is consistent - there is hardly any challenge and absolutely no peril in this game. The biggest obstacles that the game will throw at the player are a handful missions with a time limit.
Con:
  • The game is meant to be a comfy scifi noir visual novel, but with the additional elements of flying and walking around a big city, but these more action-oriented elements are flawed:

- The flying controls are awkward and the traffic AI isn't aware of the player vehicle and as a result, you will needlessly crash into things and accumulate damage, which then requires costly repairs.

- The voxel graphics which look great from a distance (i.e. from the flying car perspective) do look far less impressive close up when exploring the walk-able areas - regardless whether you are in first-person or third person camera, which the game both supports. Many of the on-foot areas are also annoying multi-level mazes where you need to find out by trial-and-error which lift or teleport takes you where you need to be.

So exactly the things that are supposed to distinguish this game from pure visual novels actually make it worse.
  • The writing is very hit and miss, and so is the voice-acting. The player character itself features one of the worst performances in the game and comes across as weirdly aloof a lot of the time, especially in contrast to their very well acted AI sidekick. The story and writing reminded me in an unpleasant way of Night Call, which is a conceptually similar game - noir setting and styling (although classic noir rather than scifi in Night Call's case), protagonist is a driver in a big city, story is told and advanced through conversations with NPCs - which also had strong styling, but weak storytelling. The game ultimately failed to get me emotionally invested in any of the characters or events it features.
  • One of the most outstanding design elements of the world is that it's constantly raining and literally raining everywhere - even many presumably indoor locations simply lack a roof (like a nightclub complete with upholstered seating booths and a DJ stand) and are rained on/into. But: The game features no rain sound! I ended up letting rainymood.com play in the background while playing, which improved the atmosphere immensely. So, yes, this game will require you to bring your own sound effects.

Strong mood, weak plot, mixed acting. Fans of the genre and setting (like me) might still enjoy the vibe enough to not be disappointed.

2.5/5

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

I just finished Pentiment, took 19 hours.

Despite being very different from most games, it is in fact quite close to what I expected. I enjoyed it a lot -- I think it's the kind of game where people who are on board with its theme and how it explores that will love it, and everyone else won't play it in the first place.

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished rain™ (PlayStation C.A.M.P!, Acquire, Japan Studio / Sony Computer Entertainment, 2013)

A small (4-5 hours) stealth puzzle-platformer with an interesting concept and art direction: The player character (and its AI partner) are invisible, but their ghostly outlines become visible in the (almost) omnipresent pouring rain. They are chased by various monsters, who are also spectral apparitions and to whom the same rules apply. In places protected from the rain, both the player characters and the enemies become invisible and their positions and movements have to be deduced from sounds and footprints. All of this is combined with a fixed-position camera system.

This game was released just one and a half months away from the PS4 launch as a PS3-exclusive downloadable game and was largely forgotten almost instantly. It also has, regrettably, remained exclusive to this platform and distribution channel to this day. I rediscovered it this weekend while pouring over a big list of PS3 exclusives and bought and played it straight away. A truly rare gem these days, and quite a good game, too - very moody, very poetic, even though the gameplay doesn't have much challenge to it.

The game has the additional quirk of having collectible items, which are tied to three trophies, but the game hides them on the first playthrough - presumably so players can concentrate on the story. The game only tells you this after the end-credits though, so I ended up running into every corner and dead-end alleyway looking for hidden stuff (old gamer instincts are hard to suppress) anyway, when I really should not have bothered.

Possibly the collectibles make the gameplay harder as well, if they are hidden behind enemies, but it will take a bit of time before I will do a replay to try and get them. If it turns out that this is where the real challenge is, I might raise my score later on.

If you are curious about the game (and like reading old websites), there are two blog posts still readable on the official Playstation blog about it, even though the Playstation website has long since wiped all its PS3-related content otherwise: [1], [2].

3/5

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Finished

God of War: Ragnarok (PS5)

So I have a lot of thoughts about it, so parts of this review will me somewhat of ramblings, but before I start, people should know that I have played and finished every single God of War game, including Chains of Olympus, Ghost of Sparta and Ascension. I don't consider them to be masterpieces, but I have enjoyed every one of them, yes, even Ascension (also played the multiplayer, both in beta and final game), played at least GoW 3 twice, have it on PS3 and PS4 (Remastered) and got the special edition for GoW 3 and Ascension, so I have my history with the series.

Ragnarok is one of the most sequel-sequel game I have ever played, I expected a leap in the same vein as Assassin's Creed 2 was to AC, Mass Effect 2 was to ME, Uncharted 2 was to Uncharted, but Ragnarok more like AC3 or a yearly CoD game.

Ragnarok has explanded and made what worked in the previous game better and fixed what didn't work that well and made certain things like the areas you travel to bigger, but that's it. There's nothing big and new here, very little changes. If all you want is just GoW 2018, but bigger and expanded, you are gonna find this game amazing, but I did not.

The story was lackluster, often a mess and felt like it didn't answer for a lot of things, the ending part felt, quick and rushed, a lot of emotional moments felt shoved in, like the devs didn't have time to cook the emotional moments up. The characters themself was great, the relationships was well done, the performances from the people doing motion capture and the voices are amazing, but the story and lore itself was not well thought out and well explored. Feels like the story is missing a brain and heart.

The pacing is awful and is no doubt the reason why it has taken me so long time to finish the game. The first 5 min are quick, then the next few hours are very slow and feels like the game don't know what to do until someone tells Kratos and Atreus, well, what to do. Some of the parts of the game (missions) broke the pacing and felt largely unneccssary and kept dragging for too long. Lots of "fluff" and wasted time in certain parts of the game. So while people are getting anxious for the world ending, you use your time to slowly do other people chores and helping other characters out with completely unrelated stuff while the world is in stress. Sometimes, the pacing problems feels like they arrive by the devs suddenly realizing they have to do some world building and story telling in the middle of a fight, so everyone just suddenly pauses.

The gameplay is the same with some new skill, armour and weapons added which you can upgrade by collecting resources by picking them up from fallen enemies or from opening different chest, some chests requiring solving puzzles. Each realm is almost like a big hub, so I did a lot of exploration and side activities which thanksfully put in a lot of good story telling, lore and world building into the game, many good side quests that gives you a lot of resources and extra story and lore. The areas are big, so it is often easy to get lost in exploration and finding big new places with new side quests. So I actually enjoyed exploring and doing side quests because what you get from doing it felt fulfilling and you are quite rewarded for exploration, but there are still some filler side activities which I didn't bother doing.

You will also at times play as Atreus which is boring and repetive, mainly because he is so much weaker to Kratos, but it's not that much you play as him.

It took me nearly 40 hours to finish the game with a lot of exploration and side stuff done.

Ragnarok is a good action adventure game, but not a good God of War game. There are some loose ends and unanswered questions I have which I hope Sony solves somehow.

Another thing, there is no God of War game without Kratos, I see some people on the Internet talks about GoW with Atreus or another protagonist, but I expect them to have only played the 2018 game. As someone with a long history with the games, Kratos is the God of War series.

Score: 7.5/10

Last edited:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I finished The Callisto Protocol. It has dethroned Bayonetta 3 as the worst game I finished this year. While the graphics look great at points, there were a number of performance issues when playing on Xbox Series X. While the combat feels great, it is counterbalanced by atrocious encounter design that falls apart when fighting more than a handful of enemies. There are also several encounters with monsters that can kill you in one hit where you have to fight them in narrow areas leading to frustration. The upgrade system is simplistic and not worth discussing.

The story is your boilerplate sci-fi horror where none of the characters are likable. I did like some of the locales, especially the snowy areas. The biggest sin is that the game is scary at all. I am in no way a horror aficionado, but I called every single jump scare and wasn't startled or disturbed once. Even the gore and death scenes, one of the biggest selling points of the game, are underwhelming.

1/5

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished ENCODYA (Chaosmonger Studio / Assemble Entertainment, 2021)

Pro:
  • The background artwork and animations as well as the music are very nice adaptations of the Blade Runner style.
Con:
  • This is. with some margin, the worst point and click adventure that I can remember playing, and I remember some real lemons all the way back to the 1990s. And almost everything that is bad about it seems to be intentional, because apparently the designer loves everything that normal people hate in this genre - pixel hunting, terrible adventure game moon logic, dialogue tree mazes, pun-based puzzle solutions ... every annoying and unfair thing you can imagine, this game has plenty of it.
  • On top of that, it also features terrible dialogue writing (that the voice-actors are unable to compensate with their performances) and hit-and-miss character design and animation.

I would never have guessed that this game would turn out to be worse than Westwood's Blade Runner point and click, but here we are. Apparently the whole Blade Runner theme seems to be cursed to yield nothing but mediocre to outright bad games.

If this game had not been a game at all, but just a slide-show of some of the background artwork, I would have given it a higher score.

1.5/5

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Just finished Weird West.
It's made by a new developer, WolfEye Studio that features the director at Arcane, most known for Dishonored and Prey. The new team is much smaller, and essentially works remote only, from what I understand.

Weird West feels like an attempt to distil some core ideas of immersive sims in a way that allows even a small team to quickly produce lots of interesting levels, and story without needing to spend millions and a large team. At its heart, it's basically a twin stick shooter, with a few mechanics like bullet time. The immersive sim elements come in by having every character be simulated according to the same rules. They have a clear cone of vision, will investigate when they see or hear strange things and attack the player if they notice them. The player can sneak around, kill or knock out enemies and also move around the environment. The environment is also just another puzzle, where the goal is to figure out how to get to somewhere or get something without being seen. That last bit is also a nice idea: you can steal or kill whatever or whomever you want, the game just deals with it.

With this relatively simple formulate, the game opens up and lets you do whatever you want. The setting of a mystical version of the "wild west", of Western colonisers enter "new" continent, but one that is full of magic and all kinds of terrors is pretty neat. Most of the backstory isn't actually given to the player, leaving you to find out bits and pieces for yourself. It ultimately added another neat element to the game.

Weird West was really entertaining, but also clearly an experiment (like most good immersive sims). And the experiment doesn't always work. The "rules" by which the game runs the enemies are easy to quickly figure out and exploit. Would like to see a sequel iterate on that and work in creating a better "AI" that can plan and react more convincingly. Easier said than done, of course. The randomly generated elements, like certain towns or side quests are also not very convincing. Basically the idea of "radiant" quests from Skyrim, where every one of them just feels the same.

Took me about 25 hours according to Steam (though nearly 45 hours according to the in-game timer, not sure which number is true here, though 25 does feel more correct. Would recommend this game to everyone who enjoyed Arcanes games and wants more immersive sims in their lives.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Finished

Better than I expected from reading and watching reviews. So first of all, the game is like a spiritual successor the Dead Space, if it was called Dead Space 4, I would believe it. The game is in most areas gorgeus, took many pictures, don't remember if it has ray tracing features, but I didn't have them enabled if it does. Game ran pretty well for me on my 6 year old PC, but some of the later chapters was kinda harsh of the framerate and some of the dark areas looked bad.

I enjoyed the first half more than the second half, the second half felt, weird, rushed and weakened the story, the story could have been more fleshed out. Gameplay was pretty good except for the times when those slugs jumped at me from chests and closets, got tired of button smashing my way out of situations. Too much crawling through tight areas and ventilations too. I liked the enemy designs.

Game didn't do anything new and felt like very standard linear third person action adventure game, but I still like those a lot. Took my time so clocked over 10 hours to find everything.

Game was also less scary than I expected.

Score. 7.4/10

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Haven't finish with it but have played over 100hrs and with some new content getting released thought i would review for The Long Dark...

One of the best survival games out there. It looks beautiful. Runs great. Has had a lot of after sale input from the Devs. Has a good story mode along with lots of challenges and a massive survival mode. New content being added. Great game.
You basically have a set of need meters to keep toped up - food/water/temp/stamina and so you have to find shelter/wood/food/drinks etc. You can hunt, craft, explore. Its a very chill (heh) game with some lovely visuals. Storms and blizzards can roll in and change the dynamic.
Overall I love this game and find myself spending a long time in it. There is a long story mode which still has a chapter to come out i think. Currently working through the challenges which add specific goals to survival mode.

9.5/10

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Did you finish what story content is there? Does it have interesting characters etc, basically is it good if I would really only play the story mode?
So there are 4 chapters of the story mode (called Wintermute) released so far with one more to come. I've finished them all and actually replayed the first three on my last go as i wanted to start again when the last one dropped.

I really liked the story mode, Without spoiling too much (this is all on the store page) its starts as you playing a guy, a pilot who is flying a passenger somewhere important when you crash and then have to survive in the wilderness and track down the passenger. Each episode lasts about 6-8 hours. You come across a few other characters but not many, they serve to push you along the trail. Its set in a very remote region with few people left around. The chapters are all fairly unique and mix up things as you go through them. There is an overarching tale that develops through the chapters with a bit of a mystery.

Its one of those games without a lot of action. You spend a lot of the time walking from place to place, trying to manage your inventory and heat/stamina/food/water so if that's not your thing then you might not like it but it has some really lovely visuals and the sense of exploration is great. And it can be exciting in its own way - like when a snow storm kicks in and you can't find your way to shelter and a wolf is stalking you and you have just eaten your last tin of pork n beans.

I would definitely recommend it and if you only play the story mode you'd get a lot out of it. I only switched to survival / challenges after finishing chapters and wanting to play around in the world until the next episode dropped.

Reactions: d00d3n

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I would definitely recommend it and if you only play the story mode you'd get a lot out of it. I only switched to survival / challenges after finishing chapters and wanting to play around in the world until the next episode dropped.
Thanks for that. I have owned Long Dark for like half a decade but keep waiting for the story to be complete, so it is nice knowing it is enjoyable so far. Hopefully the last episode will be great conclusion.

spiel

Apr 17, 2019
Completed The Pedestrian.

I was pretty grumpy about getting my progress wiped, but I'm glad I went back.

First of all the presentation is excellent. Secondly it's a fine puzzle platformer and I could think of worse things to occupy my time with. But throughout I was waiting for that 'oh' moment. The moment where a puzzle is so elegant, so clever, that I go, man, whoever designed this was a genius. Portal, The Witness, Gorogoa gave me that in spades. While The Pedestrian had some creative sections, I was waiting for the 'oh'... and it finally came very late in the game. I really wouldn't have minded more of those but well, at least the game ended on such a high note.

Score: 8/10

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Finished

Beautiful art style, interesting story and cute characters, but the game fails at the gameplay which is repetive and boring. Basically you have to fix your ship and to do that you need resources, so you have to use flow bridges to travel to different "islands" in the sky that has different resourcs, problem is that despite of the map, you most of the time have no clue where you are and what resources you find and the combat system when you encounter enemies is very uninteresting. The controls themself are quite annoying and mediocre as it feels like Im fighting against the controls a lot of the time. So the game is sort of a resource gathering game, but a very boring and uninteresting one, it's the story and graphics that makes up for it. However when you do get the resources you need and use them, it does feel good, but finding resources and finding exactly where you are is really frustrating, there is a map, but it doesn't tell you much at al.

Score: 6/10

Finished

Long game, took me over 12 hours to finish. The game is super heavy on cutscenes and story which is my biggest negative, there's too much story and cutscene, most of it feels unneccessary to me, it's just too much. The story itself about the world and Horace (robot) is really interesting though. The other part of the game is somewhat of a basic platformer-metroidvania, but parts of the game, like the platforming feels often frustrating when almost everything can kill you super quickly, water, electricity, lasers and so on. The game is big and has a lot of good level design despite of the platforming frustrations. Some of the bosses are also quite decent.

Score: 7.5/10

Last edited:

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished South of the Circle (State of Play / 11 bit Studios, 2022)

Cold Bore

Pro:
  • Good art direction, visuals, music and voice-work
Con:
  • Barely a game - it does the same thing that flabbergasted me when I saw it in Last Stop - there are dialogue choices, but if you don't pick anything, the game has a default preset choice and auto-picks that instead of waiting for your input. The only required player input is for moving the player character or a vehicle around in a scene, but that's maybe 15 minutes of the 3.5 hours "play"time. The story also plays out the exact same way every time, except for dialogue differences.
  • The story that is told is sort of a mystery adventure in the present and a romance/drama in flashbacks to the past, and neither one is particularly compelling.

Virginia remains the only game of this kind I know of that works, and Virginia works because the story is so open to interpretation and non-linear that it holds up through many playthroughs and/or re-watches. This one on the other hand is as straightforward as they come and thus becomes as disposable an experience as a rushed movie rental.

2.5/5

Last edited:

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished Assemble With Care (ustwo Games, 2020)

A game ported from iOS/Android where you disassemble, repair and reassemble 13 (very simplified) devices, all embedded in a little story about difficult relationships between close relatives. Nothing special, nice distraction for 2.5 hours. No replay value, first playthrough will net you all achievements guaranteed.

3/5

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I finished God of War Ragnarok during the weekend.

I feel a bit sad that the game will meet such stiff competition from and lose out to Elden Ring in this GOTY season, because it really is one of the rare quadruple A games that does many admirable things and deserves praise.

The story was not as elegantly simple as in the previous game, but they really did a remarkable job with the character developments of the main characters, with the relationship between Kratos and Freya being a highlight. The casting of the West Wing actor Richard Schiff was unexpected and worked out really well to depict the talkative, empathic and manipulative Odin character. Despite the title including the word Ragnarok, I expected the story to hold plenty of stuff back for the sequel (like the previous game did), but they went all out instead.

The gameplay initially seemed very similar to the previous game, but the game expertly mixed the format up in non-superficial ways, like frequently changing both the companion character and the main character, many of which had unique skill trees of their own. The RPG progression systems felt balanced due to main progression steps being tied to acquiring materials and large amounts of experience in line with main story developments. I liked that gear collected later in the story had higher base upgrade levels, which encouraged switching to new gear rather than fixating on the one set of gear that you chose to upgrade previously.

The graphics and music were epic as expected. Too many great sights to list really, including the grand walls of Asgard, the depiction of the dragon Nidhoog as an interdimensional protector of the roots of the world tree, and flying in a magical boat over Vanaheim. When it comes to smaller things, I really liked how beautifully rendered and designed tattoos were used to enhance the visual identify of some characters. In PS5 performance mode the game seemed to run solidly over 60 fps most of the time, while still looking great. I guess the downside of the great performance was that the “open” areas were more like mazes of corridors than true open world areas, but that did not seem like big issue for me.

In conclusion, God of War Ragnarok is a game that you will enjoy if you like third person action games with great story, visual spectacle and well-balanced combat.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
A couple of games I finished recently so here goes:

The Intermission DLC of FF VII Remake.

Playing as Yuffie is pretty neat, she and her Ninja companion control very differently from the rest of the cast in the main game, which helped keep the combat very interesting in this ca. 4 hour DLC mini-campaign. We revisit the second half of the game, but from the point of view of two Wutaian ninja, there to infiltrate Shinra. We also see a bit about the "main" Avalanche group, which gives some interesting context as to why exactly Barret and co. have been kicked out. Turns out, the main group is basically afraid of directly attacking Shinra infrastructure and they view Barret as an extremist.
Overall neat, and did not overstay its welcome.

Also finished The Evil Within 2

This game ran like absolute dog shit on PC vanilla. Luckily using DXVK actually improves things by a ton. Most of the stuttering is gone and it becomes actually fun to play. I also used some downsampling to clear up the image quality a bit. the game is strangely blurry by default. With those fixes, you have a very clean looking game that played very nicely on PC.

The actual story of Evil Within 2 is pretty anemic, but it's actually fun to play so it's hard for me to care. I also got the impression the game itself stopped taking itself half as seriously as the first game. It really feels like an alternative take on Resident Evil at this point, one with a big focus on action and exploration, without throwing away the horror and survival bits completely.

On the Steam Deck, I also finished A Blue Memoir

A very short and beautiful game, about love and loss (from what i can tell). Don't want to say much more since I think it deserves to be experienced fresh.

Also finished Guard Duty on the Steam Deck.

A short game that is clearly a love letter to lots of classic PnC games, but one that still has a strong identify of its own. Not all the gags worked on me, and some clearly overstayed their welcome, but overall a neat game. One big criticism I have is that I very often had to look up puzzle solutions. Perhaps it's just a sign that I'm getting to old for games like this, but the game really could use some hint system to help players along a bit.
I liked the twist near the end of the game, but overall I would only recommend this to fans of the genre. Everyone else will probably feel a bit frustrated.

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
Finished Portal & Portal 2 (for the third time)

Even though it's incredibly short, it still feels like it's just the right length. I consider Portal to be a perfect introduction to a game series. The two portals puzzle-solving concept is brilliant. It also introduced us to GLaDOS, an iconic villain. The companion cube, a lovable inanimate object. And Chell, a dangerous, mute lunatic.

There's also that Still Alive song that slaps.

5/5

Just when you thought Portal couldn't get any better, out comes its sequel.

The story, writing, puzzles, and voice acting were obviously great. Ellen McLain (GLaDOS), Stephen Merchant (Wheatley), and J.K. Simmons (Cave Johnson) put out some of the best performances of their career. To this day, Portal 2 has the best voice acting I've seen in a video game. But one thing that gets overlooked is the soundtrack. It did an excellent job at setting the tone and atmosphere for the entire game, and it took me a couple playthroughs to really appreciate it.

All in all, Portal 2 is a spectacular follow-up to an already incredible game.

5/5

Shoutout to Joe Spangle. Your review inspired me to replay these :cat-heart-blob: Like you said, there's something really special about Valve games that makes them stand out compared to the rest of the industry. Here's hoping we get more soon 🤞

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Finished

Fun zelda-like game with some flaws. The first 40 min felt really uninteresting, but Im happy I continued as it became pretty good after that. Decent world building, pretty good level design, basic, but solid gameplay. Combat was pretty mediocre, but the upgrades you can buy made it a bit better. Overall a basic, but decently fun game.

Score: 7.8/10

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished Ico (Bluepoint Games, Team Ico, Japan Studio / Sony Computer Entertainment, 2001/2011) on Playstation 3.

The first game of Team Ico (now known as gen DESIGN), who went on to make Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian. Finally found the time to sit down and play it start to finish.

Great game.

It has the same striking design as the better known later games, and it's a really wonderful 3D puzzle platformer (with fixed camera and intentionally "awkward" controls - anybody who played The Last Guardian will immediately feel at home) that completely holds up today - which makes it an even bigger shame that it's never been ported beyond PS3, but thankfully PS2 emulation is a very accessible way to enjoy this game these days.

Even though the game does pretty much no hand-holding or even tutorializing, I had to get help from the internet only once - and it wasn't for a puzzle, it was for a very un-intuitive platforming bit.

4/5

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
Finished Dishonored 2

A fun stealth game where you can approach missions in multiple different ways.
  • Interesting story & villain
  • Enjoyable combat system and abilities
  • Beautiful level design
  • Visually pleasing art style. For a 2016 game, it looks great even by today's standards.
I played as Emily because I felt like it made the most sense story-wise. The playtime was a lot shorter than I was expecting, which I don't really mind since games these days can be long and bloated.

All in all, I had a fun time with this game and plan on purchasing this Arkane bundle to play through more of their catalogue.

4.5/5

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished Moncage (Optillusion / XD, 2021)

Go(rogoa) again ++

Pro:
  • It's the same principle as Gorogoa, which is one of my favorite puzzle games of all time - but this time it's 3D scenes inside a rotatable cube instead of the little pixel-art scenes arranged on a page. Certain elements of the scenes match up with others in other scenes, and by rotating the cube and moving the camera so that they line up, you can make the scene change, transfer objects between scenes, etc.
  • More replay value than Gorogoa thanks to missable optional collectibles and optional puzzles.
  • Built-in hint system
Con:
  • In a few scenes, the lining up of elements is finicky, so that a couple of times I actually had the solution / line-up figured out, but thought I had not because the game wouldn't trigger the line-up event.

Every puzzle-game fan looking for something original and different should check this one out, and if you liked Gorogoa, this is a must-play anyway.

4.5/5

Previously reviewed in this thread here.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Finished

A bit uninteresting at the first 30 min and was about to give up due to the first gardening part of the game, but once I understood the gardening part of the game, the game clicked for me and I ended up liking it a lot. It's almost like a point and click game, but not quite or like a walking sim in 2D with interactivity. Nice art style, interesting and cute and and interesting characters.

Score: 8/10

Finished

Didn't like it as much as I thought and have read people liking it. The art style is fantastic, but the rest is quite meh. Game is very janky, espeically the combat system (which is a bit boring), which didn't fit the game as it tried to be a soulslike. The world lore is interesting and the level design is decent, but I didn't like the platforming and the combat. Great music though.

Score: 7/10

Last edited:

FunnyJay