News Sports, Anyone?

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
NBA free agency has been insane! I'm a Clippers fan in a sea of Lakers fans where I live, so getting Kawhi and PG has got me stoked! Lol Lakers picking up Cousins and re-signing Rondo and McGee isn't bad, but man, Clippers line up is insane. Probably best defense without having played a game. VERY exciting!

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
I watch pretty much every sport other than golf and tennis. There's a couple that I don't follow as much as I would like, football/soccer and hockey, but I do mostly understand the rules and can follow a match/game.

But outside of the Chicago White Sox I really don't have a favorite team in any other sport. Between the Chargers leaving San Diego and the Kaep stuff I mainly just watch whatever NFL game is on if I watch any. And I never really had a favorite NBA team. Love watching it regardless.

I'm also that boring fan that's not competitive in the slightest. A Cubs fan could post after this about how garbage the White Sox are and yeah, yeah they are. The Cubs are clearly the better team in Chicago and have been for a while. At least Moncada, Anderson and Giolito are kind of starting to figure it out. Jimenez is pretty exciting too. Now if only Rodon could stay healthy for a change.

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
Eloy is very exciting, especially now that he started figuring out how to hit major league pitchers.
The thing that bums me out is losing Tatis Jr. for James Shields of all people. An infield of him, Moncada and Anderson would be crazy good. It would also allow Anderson to move to 2B due to his pretty poor fielding at times.

Looking forward to seeing Luis Robert hit the majors too. Hopefully he can live up to the hype or at least come close.

Reactions: Ex-User (307)

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
Luis is probably getting called up in September since he just got bumped to Charlotte, which is pretty exciting! Still pissed my favorite team didn't offer him the money that the Sox did.
Yep! That's the hope! And I honestly can't remember all of the teams that were trying for him. I know the Astros, Padres and I want to say the A's? But it seems like there were one or two more.

Though if you are a Padres fan, no hard feelings on Tatis Jr. While I might be bummed he never played for the White Sox I'm happy to see him doing really well. Dude will be a star if he keeps it up and stays healthy.

Reactions: Ex-User (307)

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I mainly watch NBA and NFL, supporting the Heat (since I was 12 in 06, and it all started thanks to a videogame) and the Seahawks (for the past 4-5 years, I used to watch random games before that). I watch pretty much every game of those two.

For the past 2-3 years I've been trying to get into MLB as well. I like the games but I can't really understand how a lot of off-the-field stuff works.

Football (soccer) is the only popular sport here in Italy but I never really cared for it, I only watch the World and Euro cup. Enjoyed the women's world cup quite a lot.

NFL off season is so boring. I hope my Seahawks do well this next season.

Last edited:
OP
Phoenix RISING

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I only watch football (or soccer if you're American) when I'm with other people or when it's the world cup. Never cared that much for sports tbh.
Women's World Cup was LIT this weekend!

I'm watching the WWC Final and I wish I had a second monitor so I can watch the game there instead of going through tabs.
I remember this struggle.

I watch pretty much every sport other than golf and tennis. There's a couple that I don't follow as much as I would like, football/soccer and hockey, but I do mostly understand the rules and can follow a match/game.

But outside of the Chicago White Sox I really don't have a favorite team in any other sport. Between the Chargers leaving San Diego and the Kaep stuff I mainly just watch whatever NFL game is on if I watch any. And I never really had a favorite NBA team. Love watching it regardless.

I'm also that boring fan that's not competitive in the slightest. A Cubs fan could post after this about how garbage the White Sox are and yeah, yeah they are. The Cubs are clearly the better team in Chicago and have been for a while. At least Moncada, Anderson and Giolito are kind of starting to figure it out. Jimenez is pretty exciting too. Now if only Rodon could stay healthy for a change.
Too bad about tennis. Lots of great rising stars, especially in the WTA. There's currently a 15 year-old running riot, lol.

Also I like F1, kinda.
I pretend like I watch F1 because of Lewis Hamilton.

Gotta say all this talk about sports has me wondering if anyone would be interested in a Madden or NBA 2k league? Shame there's no good baseball games on PC anymore. OOTP is fine, but I would like to actually play occasionally too.

I have no idea how tough something like that would be to set up, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw the idea out there. Even if it's only a small league I think it could be pretty fun.
In my 20s, I had time. Not in my 30s. sorry.

you're dead to me.
I apologize for nothing.
Edit:
Yo ,and Kawhi shook the whole NBA by signing with the Los Angeles....CLIPPERS, LOL!!!!

Reactions: dummmyy

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
The only sport i follow is MotoGP, Go Cal Crutchlow! 🏁 Simoncelli Forever! ❤
I'll watch the start and end of the F1 races which is a shame as i used to watch all the way through.
I catch most of the Formula E season and miscellaneous WEC/BTCC etc events.

Outside of Autosport i watch Rugby Internationals, X Nations, World Cup etc
... and of course Curling during the Olympics!

Outside of those i'll catch bits and pieces of other sports but nothing i have any real interest or passion for.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
No badminton watcher here? I live in Sweden so I don't get to watch badminton on old TV at all, so I have to do all the watching from Youtube which luckily have an official channel where all the major games are broadcasted :)

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Wow... the only general sports thread.... buried. :crying-face:

Sooooooooo, yeah I was looking for the AMERICAN Football thread and found something about a sport that involves everyone kicking all of the time. :/ Those of you from less EAGLE CRYING TEARS IN FRONT OF FLAG countries call it "Football" but really its just overpaid KICKBALL.

I love sports! I'm a Mets Fan (rocket ship atm), Giants fan (go 3-13 pls), I might actually follow the NBA again after getting suckered into the Melo knicks then the lone playoff appearance for the Nets years ago.

Idk if anyone cares but NYC sports media is having a field day with Daniel Jones. SLOW YOUR FUCKING ROLE peeps.

As far as other, non American sports, I have interest in watching F1 races and I'm impressed by the actual races, video games and Netflix doc but I don't think I'm going to watch races as I don't have cable.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Browns fan since birth, we might finally be good since what feels like forever :cuteblob:
Giants fucked up, the media, fanbase and owners are a bunch of stuck up "CHARACTER" as a code word jerks.

You're going to love watching OBJr, My team is in the shitter and needs at least two good drafts to get out, you guys are ready to make the push!

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Gizmo I'm sorry.

Baker Mayfield is a fratboy jock who just so happened to be able to get his shit to sink well enough to back up his talk. So far. He isn't wrong and maybe he was quoted out of context but really? Daniel Jones gets enough shit for the Giants being stupid, lay off him for a bit league.

Why am I not mad at OBJr? Eli manning couldn't have given half a squeezed out, super forced shit that OBJr was frustrated that our entire team and both lines where shit that year, resulting in a poor season and bad quarterback play. OBJr criticizes Manning? Nothing he hasn't heard before and he can handle it. Giants overpaid him sure but OBJr has every right to the money they gave him. Stupid Giants on both ends to sign him when they weren't in 100% no matter what and stupid to trade him. Fucking NYC media is shit, majority of our vocal fans are cavemen, cavewomen and cavepeople in general.

I hope we go fucking 3-13 and draft everyone.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
NFL season officially kicks off tomorrow, at 8:30 pm. Bears vs Packers. IDGAF about either team but football is football. Everything that happens outside of the field, from the owners, to stadium deals, to long term health of players, to the NFL corporation itself, to watching low-life's get a pass bc they can still produce on the field, (seriously, if there wasn't a tape you get off lolz), to racist fucks like our President calling players 'Sons of Bitches' and trashy people wishing death upon Kaperknick, is a fucking horror show. Everything but the games is awful. But the games. They are good. So good. I watch them either online, with my dad if he's around and a few of my friend IRL. Hell, sometimes I just listen to the game on the radio and play video games.

Go Giants. (please tank and get draft picks, the important players on the team are young)

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
NFL season officially kicks off tomorrow, at 8:30 pm. Bears vs Packers. IDGAF about either team but football is football. Everything that happens outside of the field, from the owners, to stadium deals, to long term health of players, to the NFL corporation itself, to watching low-life's get a pass bc they can still produce on the field, (seriously, if there wasn't a tape you get off lolz), to racist fucks like our President calling players 'Sons of Bitches' and trashy people wishing death upon Kaperknick, is a fucking horror show. Everything but the games is awful. But the games. They are good. So good. I watch them either online, with my dad if he's around and a few of my friend IRL. Hell, sometimes I just listen to the game on the radio and play video games.

Go Giants. (please tank and get draft picks, the important players on the team are young)
Fuck the Pats

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Fuck the Pats
Forever and always this. May their season diaf.

Christ this game is awful. 3 delay of game penalties.

God, just thinking about the game last night, what a gong show by Chicago. Just awful. Most disturbing thing was I watched it ALL. :dizzy-face:

Last edited:

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Fuck Antonio Brown and the Pats, double again and forever. I didn't even think anything of Brown other than he acted like a Clown this preseason with missing practice and the stupid social media stuff and thinking that screaming at your GM would earn you points. All that shit was T.O 2.0, all me I'm a special wide receiver look at me but I can back it up the field too. Nothing new, it would all blow over and he'd probably kill it for the Raiders while that shitty team struggled to win 5 games. WELP WELP WELP.....

This is bullshit. The Pats actually keep their problem players on the field doing shit for worse and worse. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK. Eternal pox on the Pats. Handjob Bob still winning in court, fancy dog brady still on the field, the Emperor still calling the plays..... Ugh.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
The highest paid QB in the game, a great WR in Lockett and a very promising one in Metcalf and Dissly can also receive. But hey let’s run it every single time just like last year when it didn’t work. 1 and 10? Run it! 2 and 17? Run it! 3 and 24? Fucking run it!

Schottenheimer can go to hell. It’s stupid how better the team is when Russ is calling plays.

also fuck the Pats. I hope AB destroys that team from the inside

Reactions: dummmyy

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
The highest paid QB in the game, a great WR in Lockett and a very promising one in Metcalf and Dissly can also receive. But hey let’s run it every single time just like last year when it didn’t work. 1 and 10? Run it! 2 and 17? Run it! 3 and 24? Fucking run it!

Schottenheimer can go to hell. It’s stupid how better the team is when Russ is calling plays.

also fuck the Pats. I hope AB destroys that team from the inside
I'd say that I felt bad for you guys but you won yesterday. Meanwhilist, in Giant land, its delusion central. This is a tank year that everyone fluffed up and the HC is still trying to fluff up. When we really let the game out of hand I just turned off the tv followed the live updates from google, which is the mark of following a terrible team. Been doing that a bunch of times in the past couple of years. Our Septembers have been so awful that I'm conditioned to just turn off the TV and walk away. I'm disengaging earlier and earlier, I used to watch the games all time from 2007-2014, or at least listen to them on the radio. Now its just live updates. I want draft picks out of this at least.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
It sounds like me following Cal Crutchlow in the MotoGP. Will he get a decent placing or maybe a podium or throw the bike down the road at 130mph?
Who knows but he's still my main rider, i've been following him since his rookie year with simoncelli, RIP, and when he's good he's very, very good but when he's bad he's awful.

Still, Go Cal, Go! 🛣 🏍

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Giants are a raging dumpster fire but really, this happens every year. Vague promises and talk of improvement, breathless hype about players returning healthier and stronger, just a lot of PR speak.

We're shit. I expect us to win between 2 and 5 games. 5 games is the highend.

Jets could be looking at 5-7 wins too.

Big ben is out for the season, couldn't have happened to a nicer piece of gutter trash.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Well I’m way more positive than last week. It looks like they finally realized Wilson is very good at throwing the ball and Metcalf is really looking like a special player. Also Clowney is a force. Way closer than it should have been due to those fumbles but that can be fixed.

In other news, the Dolphins are hilarious and we should try and make a trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Weekly mandatory Fuck the Patriots.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Well I’m way more positive than last week. It looks like they finally realized Wilson is very good at throwing the ball and Metcalf is really looking like a special player. Also Clowney is a force. Way closer than it should have been due to those fumbles but that can be fixed.

In other news, the Dolphins are hilarious and we should try and make a trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Weekly mandatory Fuck the Patriots.
If you guys make the playoffs I'm on your side. Just please don't play the Pats in any elimination games.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Giants move on from manning, like 18 months too late guys, but you know, better late than have him suiting up at 40 after two 3-13 seasons.
I have a reason to watch this Sunday and that gives me a bit of joy.

OP
Phoenix RISING

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com

Fuck the Pats
Forever and always this. May their season diaf.

Christ this game is awful. 3 delay of game penalties.

God, just thinking about the game last night, what a gong show by Chicago. Just awful. Most disturbing thing was I watched it ALL. :dizzy-face:
Fuck Antonio Brown and the Pats, double again and forever. I didn't even think anything of Brown other than he acted like a Clown this preseason with missing practice and the stupid social media stuff and thinking that screaming at your GM would earn you points. All that shit was T.O 2.0, all me I'm a special wide receiver look at me but I can back it up the field too. Nothing new, it would all blow over and he'd probably kill it for the Raiders while that shitty team struggled to win 5 games. WELP WELP WELP.....

This is bullshit. The Pats actually keep their problem players on the field doing shit for worse and worse. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK. Eternal pox on the Pats. Handjob Bob still winning in court, fancy dog brady still on the field, the Emperor still calling the plays..... Ugh.

All of this is why I boycotted the NFL for the past two years. The NFL settled with Kaep, so now I'm more ambivalent toward it. So I don't go out of my way to not watch, but I'm not exactly adjusting my schedule to watch games like I did back in my hardcore days of watching NFL Redzone for like six hours straight.

But yeah, NFL of the field is total depravity. Antonio Brown situation is a huge black eye. Like video games, NFL fandom is 50/50; the way the League has been conducting itself sends a bad signal to women.

Additionally, my favorite team, 49ers, drafted a Trumper. So.....yeah....

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
All of this is why I boycotted the NFL for the past two years. The NFL settled with Kaep, so now I'm more ambivalent toward it. So I don't go out of my way to not watch, but I'm not exactly adjusting my schedule to watch games like I did back in my hardcore days of watching NFL Redzone for like six hours straight.

But yeah, NFL of the field is total depravity. Antonio Brown situation is a huge black eye. Like video games, NFL fandom is 50/50; the way the League has been conducting itself sends a bad signal to women.

Additionally, my favorite team, 49ers, drafted a Trumper. So.....yeah....
There are a lot of decent men who play football (vast majority) but the "stars" who are protected soley because of their talent chaff real bad. Even more Antonio Brown shit has come out... Giants keep their kicker despite knowing he beat his wife, Big Ben has been gutter trash for almost a decade but still treated will all of the 'franchise QB' honor by Pittsburg's local media. We can go on and on. Hand-Bob Craft getting zippo fines or anything, on and on....

I understood why Kaep settled, he wants his career back. (my all accounts its too late though). However, I would've loved to see the NFL ownership dragged through the mud for black balling him and having it be on public record. So many cave-people fans, legit ruins discussion of almost any team. I tire of all NFL ownership, how certain "star players" are pushed, all NFL fanbases, the endless commericals.... All that being said;

I enjoyed watching the Browns and Jets game,..... Thank goodness for the NFL that the on the field product is still viable. And this was an objectively poor game to boot. There is always something to see on every play, the feeling that anything can happen for three hours is tough to come by in adult life. I'm going to continue to watch my NYC teams this year, after all, I can see the NFL disbanding in the next 30 years, so might as well watch while I can.

OP
Phoenix RISING

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
There are a lot of decent men who play football (vast majority) but the "stars" who are protected soley because of their talent chaff real bad. Even more Antonio Brown shit has come out... Giants keep their kicker despite knowing he beat his wife, Big Ben has been gutter trash for almost a decade but still treated will all of the 'franchise QB' honor by Pittsburg's local media. We can go on and on. Hand-Bob Craft getting zippo fines or anything, on and on....

I understood why Kaep settled, he wants his career back. (my all accounts its too late though). However, I would've loved to see the NFL ownership dragged through the mud for black balling him and having it be on public record. So many cave-people fans, legit ruins discussion of almost any team. I tire of all NFL ownership, how certain "star players" are pushed, all NFL fanbases, the endless commericals.... All that being said;

I enjoyed watching the Browns and Jets game,..... Thank goodness for the NFL that the on the field product is still viable. And this was an objectively poor game to boot. There is always something to see on every play, the feeling that anything can happen for three hours is tough to come by in adult life. I'm going to continue to watch my NYC teams this year, after all, I can see the NFL disbanding in the next 30 years, so might as well watch while I can.
The NFL could disband if college athletes can figure out a way to circumvent it, such as getting paid while in college.

I'm ambivalent on that topic.

Kaep settling was still a win. Not even Tom Brady could get away with deflate=gate on appeal. Pats still won that year. Scust.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
The NFL could disband if college athletes can figure out a way to circumvent it, such as getting paid while in college.

I'm ambivalent on that topic.

Kaep settling was still a win. Not even Tom Brady could get away with deflate=gate on appeal. Pats still won that year. Scust.
Deflate gate was breaking the rules on the field, just like getting suspended for PEDs. Black balling Kaep totally different.

We're basically aware of the fact that there is no helmet that can eliminate concussions suffered by football players of all levels. NFL players are grown men, they go in these days with eyes wide open. They were once kids though and more and more kids are not playing football and the pipeline is just going to dry up.

Reactions: Phoenix RISING
OP
Phoenix RISING

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Deflate gate was breaking the rules on the field, just like getting suspended for PEDs. Black balling Kaep totally different.

We're basically aware of the fact that there is no helmet that can eliminate concussions suffered by football players of all levels. NFL players are grown men, they go in these days with eyes wide open. They were once kids though and more and more kids are not playing football and the pipeline is just going to dry up.
Yeah, my wife wouldn't let our sons play even if there was a football system up here in Michigan.

IDK if the pipeline will dry up though. Baseball, Tennis, and even Soccer (this one is a surprise) are cost-prohibitive. Basketball has limited roster spots.

If you are good at football, coaches will find a way to get you on the roster.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019

Exclusive: Accuser Says Antonio Brown Sent ‘Intimidating’ Text Messages

Suspend this asshole. Possibly forever.

What are the Pats going to do about this in the meantime?

Oh I know, I know: absolutely nothing at all. Fuck them.

---

In more pleasant news: the whole Minshew-mania thing with the Jags is pretty fun. What a character.
Antonio Brown..... wtf happened? From being an entertaining but difficult character in Pittsburg (many super star WR have been classic divos so whatever), from getting fined for having the audacity to twerk after a touch down (that was great) to threatening someone's family and credible claims of sexual misconduct and ripping people off. I don't know what the NFL is going to do, as they hand out suspensions at random, but I'm pretty sure the Pats will at least sit him or suspend him. Depending on how hungry Bellicheat is for another Superbowl, might even cut bait.

Minshew has both the better Mustache and the actual Charisma that Mayfield thinks he has. He'll be a flash in the pan but you know, all of this QB craziness has shown that the NFL can still be fun, when pressed.

EDIT: This is not related but AB is what grinds my gears about the OBJr and Giants thing. Yes, he complained about Manning but he wasn't wrong, yes he did the silly endzone celebration and he may have been on video with a lady of the night and some blow. Yes there was the boat. But guess what, he's a mid 20s superstar dude worth millions, a rockstar doing rockstar shit. I heard him give an interview and I really liked that he said he had nothing against the fans of NY and there was still love there. We miss you Odell.

Last edited: