News Steam Link App Finally Available on iOS and tvOS

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
Nearly a year after Apple suddenly rejected Valve's Steam Link App and subsequently revised its App Store rules - today, the Steam Link App is finally available on iOS and tvOS.

‎Steam Link

For those unaware Valve has had a feature known as "in home streaming" since 2013 where any machine could stream your Steam / PC games / applications on your local network.
Steam Link was a hardware solution to utilise this feature on a TV or other device you wanted to stream Steam to.

More recently, Valve expanded the service to work - anywhere - via their data centers

Today in the Steam Client Beta, "In Home Streaming" has been renamed "Steam Remote Play".
The feature remains free and works between Steam Clients on Windows, Mac and Linux with any Apple, Android, Raspberry Pi or TVs that have the Steam Link App

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Not directly related to this, but I just got a new phone and I've been looking for a good bluetooth controller for Android. Anything that works with this and Dolphin anyone would recommend?

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Out of nowhere. Awesome. 👍🏾

Not directly related to this, but I just got a new phone and I've been looking for a good bluetooth controller for Android. Anything that works with this and Dolphin anyone would recommend?
The Steam Controller :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

TheLetdown

A six-pack of letdown.
Oct 30, 2018
Just saw this after having been checked out all day yesterday...

Is this just a mirror image of why you’re computer is running the way the Steam Link is, where minimizing BPM brings up your regular desktop?

Also, there’s no way that touch controls still work, right? Because that would be huge for visual novels and turn-based RPGs like Battle Chasers Nightwar.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
What has changed since the rejection? Just wonder. Have Valve removed the access to the Steam Store in the Steam Link app? Or did Apple let it pass?

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
What has changed since the rejection? Just wonder. Have Valve removed the access to the Steam Store in the Steam Link app? Or did Apple let it pass?
It's as you expected. No store access. You can only go into your library. Community, web browser, and chat are missing as well.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia

So uh, I have a little bit of a problem here. I have a son, and he's growing up quite fast. Lately, he has started to notice the big PC case just below the TV, and he started reaching the power button and USB dongles. He's still clueless about the power button and other parts of the PC, but it won't be long until he does. Thus, I'm planning to move my PC to the other room and connect it with a long HDMI cable. But then I remember about Steam Link.

However, my TV is still a regular one. The thing is, we've been planning to swap it with an Android TV (or maybe get a TV Box instead for the cheaper alternative) for some time now, so this is probably a good time to finalize that. The PC will be in the room just behind the TV. I've been messing around with the app from my phone and it works great, even for non-Steam games.

Do you think it would be feasible on a TV as well? I've read and seen lots of Steam Link (or PC streaming in general) reviews/impressions on phones and tablet, but very rarely on TV.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com

So uh, I have a little bit of a problem here. I have a son, and he's growing up quite fast. Lately, he has started to notice the big PC case just below the TV, and he started reaching the power button and USB dongles. He's still clueless about the power button and other parts of the PC, but it won't be long until he does. Thus, I'm planning to move my PC to the other room and connect it with a long HDMI cable. But then I remember about Steam Link.

However, my TV is still a regular one. The thing is, we've been planning to swap it with an Android TV (or maybe get a TV Box instead for the cheaper alternative) for some time now, so this is probably a good time to finalize that. The PC will be in the room just behind the TV. I've been messing around with the app from my phone and it works great, even for non-Steam games.

Do you think it would be feasible on a TV as well? I've read and seen lots of Steam Link (or PC streaming in general) reviews/impressions on phones and tablet, but very rarely on TV.
It works for me, what doesn't work for me is to connect controllers to the TV. I have the Xbox one controller that doesn't have bluetooth. Not sure if the bluetooth can connect to the TV. So I have a computer in the same room as the TV and the controller connected to the computer.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
It works for me, what doesn't work for me is to connect controllers to the TV. I have the Xbox one controller that doesn't have bluetooth. Not sure if the bluetooth can connect to the TV. So I have a computer in the same room as the TV and the controller connected to the computer.
Hmm.. I see. So with Steam Link, you can either connect your controller to the PC as usual, or the Android app, both works the same. That sounds good to me. I use a DS4, and I believe it's supported by Android TV, but if it's not I can always connect it to PC.

Thanks.