Community The Emulation Thread - When That PC Port Just Ain't Happening

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Fucking great, honestly. I've beenon my vita since i bought it in '19 and it's played essentially everything I've thrown at it within reason. Up to PSX easy.
Not what they were asking for, I assume.
valkyries Vita3k has gotten better over the years and you can actually finish a bunch of games on it, but 3D stuff has still lots of issues AFAIK.

Reactions: KainXVIII

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Not what they were asking for, I assume.
valkyries Vita3k has gotten better over the years and you can actually finish a bunch of games on it, but 3D stuff has still lots of issues AFAIK.
Is V3K still weird to setup? I remember trying it like a year ago and boy was is trying things.

valkyries

Jan 17, 2024
Ok. I will wait once I can play Soul Sacrifice Delta again, one day on my steam deck.

Also, Vanillaware games are great. I love Odin Sphere Leifthasir and Dragon's Crown!

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
im thinking about getting the Anbernic RG35xx plus and it will be mostly used for retro RPGs, but I was thinking that PS1 has so many good ones but the RG35xx doesn't have analogue sticks so I wonder how many of those RPGs actually need those? If I remember correctly many of PS1 games could be played with just d pad.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Probably 0 RPGs need it. Ape Escape might be the only game that requires it. Though others were heavily enhanced by it (ie, MGS, but mostly for the rumble).

But going for a handheld with at least one analog could enable N64, Dreamcast or PSP emulation (shouldn't need much higher specs, not as high as PS2) :shrugblob:

The RG35XX H has the same specs/price as the Plus and has 2 sticks. These specs seem to handle N64/Dreamcast/DS but struggle with heavier PSP games.

Edit: Retroid Pocket 2S seems to perform better on PSP and also Sega Saturn (still not perfect, but Dreamcast is) but costs a little more than these other ones...

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Well they have the RG405V for that form factor with sticks on top but I didn't research how it compares in performance and compatibility as it costs like double.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Retrotink 4k restock comes tmr. Another batch in Apr / May.

Really want to see how the Xenoblade games get upscaled by the machine before pulling the trigger. Sadly no one on the Internet tested them yet.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Retrotink 4k restock comes tmr. Another batch in Apr / May.

Really want to see how the Xenoblade games get upscaled by the machine before pulling the trigger. Sadly no one on the Internet tested them yet.
I was looking for such footage and found a completely unrelated video...

Which apparently has 500k people out there (+ whoever took that info and spread it in other forms) using their Wii all wrong on the false premise it looks better. Apparently this guy has never heard of anamorphic (widescreen) rendering for any device but Wii so recommends folks run their games in 16:9 but remove the image stretching that matches said 16:9 aspect ratio so that they look crisper as in the 4:3 framebuffer (and so everything gets squished to the wrong aspect ratio as the fov no longer matches that). WTF?! Just run your Wii in 4:3 mode if you don't want stretching with the correct aspect ratio rendering/fov (granted some specific games will letterbox 16:9 as they only support that, but then you can choose 16:9 for those alone). How can such bad advice get such traction, barely anyone is calling them out in the comments. Maybe there are Wii games out there that do have the wrong, stretched aspect ratio by default so plain framebuffer is better but probably nothing notable or worthwhile unless it's some shoddy port of an older good game from other systems or something.

Last edited:
  • Toucan
Reactions: Cacher and lashman

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
well well
After few weeks with Analogue Pocket and Retroid Pocket 4 Pro, I cannot decide which emulation console is better.
Both are so awesome.
Image quality in Analogue Pocket is so great, I mean, panel resolution is perfect for the consoles it emulates. Emulation is crystal clear.
Something that usually I don't like emulating old pixel systems on modern platforms let's say your desktop PC or even -don't kill me- Steam Deck is native panel resolution is too high for those old systems and make those games look a bit grey, foggy or washed out. Here is simply perfect.
The only negative point (and I think is kind of important, is dpad could be better) movements like hadokens or shoryurepta usually are missed cause dpad. But well everything else is very very nice, and in this case emulation are fpga cores so is nearly perfect emulation, this have its negative points too, for example you need to deal with bios, game regions or so, and maybe some people could have problems dealing with all of these. F.e. you need to use *.md (US regions or international region) for genesis emulation with the current cores, and some translated or hack roms don't work well, some others have no isues or you need a specific romset for NeoGeo (mostly the romset is the console version not the arcade version is everywhere but it's easy to find too XD).
here PC engine CD core with dragon ball iso:
That said and as I pointed in some steam threads I got Retroid Pocket 4 Pro too. I've been configuring that console too and managed to make Emulation Station launcher run. Before using Steam to launch my emulated games on my Desktop I used Emulation Station so I'm used to it. Configure Emulation Station is not that easy but it's pretty deep if you know what to do, imo is the best emulators launcher. And of course you can use other alternatives or the default one.
Something that amazed me about this console is that even some light Switch games work very very fast with android yuzu, like Ultra Street Fighter II. Resolution is quite higher than Analogue Pocket but console is so little, more or less like evercade xp. D-Pad is very good. If you want a emulation console for old games this is console to go. Everything until PSP included works perfect (and a lot of Ps2 games work perfect too I've tried Valkyrie Profile 2 and Simpsons Hit & Run and both runs perfect, many PS2 games have issues too, so if you need a console for PS2 this is not your option, it's more like an extra, but yeah a lot of them run perfect), GameCube and Wii games runs perfect too with Dolphin emulator. Taking in mind this is normal emulation not fpga you just use the usual android emulators, PPSSPP, yuzu, retroarch, dolphin, NETHERSX2, etc, so you get compatibilty with all internet ROMs, ISOs, etc... Is amazing this little thing can emulate even Switch XDDDD. You can emulate Vita too with Vita3K but I still didn't tried it with Retroid so I can say nothing.

Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: Cacher and lashman