Community The Emulation Thread - When That PC Port Just Ain't Happening

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Durante how do you feel about PCSX2 devs going out of their way to break Ar Tonelico 2 retranslation patch under their emulator?
Pity, kind of wanted to finally play it on Deck... :\
:steam_pig_mad:
Why do they do this ?

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
The game needs a hack to work correctly, otherwise doesn't display world map properly.
Both the orignal game and the patched release had such hacks up to beginning of last year, where all patched games hacks were removed from the DB.
Since PCSX identifies game by executable CRC, and CRCs for the patches were removed, they stopped being patched at runtime, and currently don't work properly, unless you either modify and rebuild the emulator on your own, or just stick to an ancient version.
Devs have repeatedly stated that they won't budge on the issue.

It's 'just a hack', you don't expect us to support every single hack out there seems to be the reasoning.
Except in this case it's not 'just a hack', it fixes the unbelievably broken official release.

Last edited:

SkyStarblaze

Starlit Entity
Aug 20, 2020
The game needs a hack to work correctly, otherwise doesn't display world map properly.
Both the orignal game and the patched release had such hacks up to beginning of last year, where all patched games hacks were removed from the DB.
Since PCSX identifies game by executable CRC, and CRCs for the patches were removed, they stopped being patched at runtime, and currently don't work properly, unless you either modify and rebuild the emulator on your own, or just stick to an ancient version.
Devs have repeatedly stated they won't budge on the issue.
Wait but the vanilla game would work or not? I'm confused now. I mean it's good that they finally want to get rid of hacks but that means we would be potentially wait for a long time till the game runs properly again?

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Wait but the vanilla game would work or not? I'm confused now. I mean it's good that they finally want to get rid of hacks but that means we would be potentially wait for a long time till the game runs properly again?
Vanilla game will work, but has shitty, MTL quality translation, removes good 50% of voice acting and has a bug that crashes the game during the final boss battle, so can't be finished even on real hardware.
With Ar Tonelico 2, things got worse. Painfully worse. Even if you could forgive the numerous typographical errors, missing words, and shaky sentences littering the dialogue, the mistranslation of important game terms, and the inconsistently-adapted names, the localization introduced or exposed game-crashing bugs in the game. Furthermore, in order to move more copies of the game based on sex appeal, NISA marketed the game via a crude and clunky ad campaign. They boasted to media sources that the dialogue was even racier than in the original – when, in fact, AT2 was intended to be a more serious and thoughtful game, with less emphasis on cheap hooks and a greater focus on the plot, than AT1. Finally, in order to fit English voice acting onto the disc, they cut approximately half of the Japanese voice-acted scenes, leaving many important plot points lacking appropriate impact. The result was a game vulgar, ugly, and offensive in parts, but with enough of its soul left intact to appeal while still being a shadow of the original.
The patch fixes all of these.

Reactions: SkyStarblaze

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
pastebin.com
Um yeah, that doesn't seem "going out of their way to break" it but rather treating it like every other game rather than prioritize fixing it or any other fan patch.
Idk since when but Test Drive/Le Mans 24 Hours has largely been fixed in Flycast. It runs, plays & looks great, only rolling demos still bork the main car off track.

Mattias shader as usual. Some more glitches may occur depending on api, with Vulkan the loading screens flicker, with glcore I didn't notice any more issues. Also, it seems the game unlocks its fps at the end of replays/races/stuff and seems to go 60fps, I wonder if that can be used for the whole game somehow.

Last edited:

SkyStarblaze

Starlit Entity
Aug 20, 2020
Vanilla game will work, but has shitty, MTL quality translation, removes good 50% of voice acting and has a bug that crashes the game during the final boss battle, so can't be finished even on real hardware.

The patch fixes all of these.
Ah I see thanks for the heads-up! Though I have to say I see it much like Alextended, maybe the devs could have made a compromise though by leaving hacks for games that really "need" them like AT2 temporarily in in a hardcoded way till the emu doesn't need them anymore.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
The CRC hack system is a giant mess anyway, hopefully they'll eventually add something that's a better system overall.

• This!
Reactions: Knurek

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
If you ask me they should dump those CRC hacks into their .pnach equivalent so all that work won't be lost to entropy.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I don't think anything is lost unless they somehow nuke the 10+ years of github history, and that would be madness.
I'm also relatively certain that there are forks that are based on the current nightlies with the removed CRC hacks restored. Might need to build it yourself though. :blobmorning2:

But yeah, the current implementation seems just an artifact of the past. I imagine and hope they'll go with something like... they'll only ship a .pnach equivalent with official releases, but then also have .pnach_user or something of that nature that would also get loaded if it exists.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Trying to emulate Just Dance 2022 on Yuzu emulator.
How do I do here? How do I configure the emulator?
Maybe dumb question, but did you setup the controller as dual joycons ?

「Echo」

どこ見てんだよ?
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
:unsure:

This will seem a bit random, but with news of Majora's Mask coming to NSO Emulator it reminded me how shit the Switch's N64 Emulator really is.

So I've come to ask your guys opinion, the best version OoT and Majora's Mask would be Emulated AND modded 3ds versions... right? I think you can get them to 4k that way?

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Are you telling me that we will be able to upscale xbox360 and PS3's 720p to 1440p through retrotink 5x soon? WTF this is huge

• Gib
Reactions: Valdien