|OT| The Linux Gaming Thread - Thread of the Millenium

What Linux distribution are you currently using?

• Debian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OpenSUSE

• Void

• Slackware

• Gentoo

• ZorinOS

• Linux Lite

• MX Linux

• Solus

• Archlabs

• ArcoLinux

• Kubuntu

• Ubuntu MATE

• Ubuntu Budgie

• Peppermint

• Artix

• Devuan

• Alpine

• FerenOS

• Total voters

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
One hint concerning multiboot (also called dual boot): Windows might cause problems in such an environment.
As in that the PC only boots Windows after a Windows update.
It personally has not happened to me in the last 2.5 years of dual-booting but it might be a possibility.

Edit: It might be that this is old information.
It seems that this does not happen with mordern mainboards (UEFI).
I think the only thing you should take care of, is to first install Windows, and Linux afterwards. This way grub and everything is set up properly. Adding Windows after the fact is a bit more complicated as you need to restore grub, since Windows will probably set it self up as the only boot partition.

Reactions: Pommes and LEANIJA

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I didn't realize we had a thread.

I spent some time trying to make Debian work for me, but trying to make it a pseudo rolling-release just isn't worth it. I got deep into tiling window managers too, perhaps too much. I've come to realize Arch is the distro for me. And I've been using GNOME for a while now. I've come to really like its minimalist & workspace-focused workflow design.

I still have Windows installed on a drive for the rare occasion I need it, but running Linux as my primary OS has been a pretty great.

Has anyone tried using gamescope with an Nvidia GPU recently?

KingKrouch

Dec 14, 2021
Most people these days seem to prefer Fedora. You can use Fedora Silverblue for a system where you can't break things :) (also like SteamOS)
I'd honestly recommend suggesting checking out Nobara if you want something that's based on Fedora that also has tweaks and adjustments done for a better OOTB experience for gaming and media consumption. There's a KDE Plasma, GNOME, and custom GNOME variant (With extensions that may be nice for Windows users) version that is available for you to choose from. There's even now a setup utility where you can quickly do things like installing non-free codecs for media, and if you have an NVIDIA card, it will detect that and install the drivers for you (Keep in mind, you might still have to boot the installer using the nomodeset parameter for the first time). I'd honestly go as far to say that I'd recommend using Nobara at this point over bogstandard Fedora if you aren't willng to tweak a ton of stuff.

Regarding Silverblue/Kinoite, I did try it, and my big concern with it comes down to COPR repositories (Basically Fedora's equivalent to Arch's AUR, but everything is still done through Yum or DNF), and how challenging it can be to approach adding them as rpm-ostree doesn't seem to support COPRs. I think that it needs some more work before it's ready.

On SteamOS, you are effectively limited to Flatpaks, AppImages, and a docker/podman solution called Distrobox (Although keep in mind, I've had issues running some stuff like the Unity Hub through this method).

Reactions: lashman and LEANIJA

itsamiracle

Dec 31, 2018
Speaking of distrobox, TIL it has an export function to integrate .desktop files from the container to the host system application menu. No more need for custom plumbing on my part :steam_pigblanket:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I didn't tackle the thing yet but it's in the back of my mind. How much size should a linux partition be ?
I can have a limited linux partition and use my NTFS disk, right ? I know you people already confirmed NTFS compatibility, but just trying to be clear on how to use the setup.

Basically I would allocate a part of my d: to linux and when booting it I would use my existing disks as normal ? Or should I dedicate an entire disk to linux ?

Reactions: LEANIJA

undu

Mar 17, 2019
I didn't tackle the thing yet but it's in the back of my mind. How much size should a linux partition be ?
For the system partition you probably want about 50 GB. It's quite big for the initial setup, but it tends to get filled up with logs and various caches that needs to be cleaned periodically

I can have a limited linux partition and use my NTFS disk, right ? I know you people already confirmed NTFS compatibility, but just trying to be clear on how to use the setup.
Yes, currently it's compatible but slow. There's an alternative driver that's really fast but only safe for reading, not writing. The slow and safe one is called NTFS-3G

Reactions: Li Kao and LEANIJA

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Mmh yeah, wanted to install Manjaro on a whim but I'm scared shitless of the partitioning side of things.

I want to install Manjaro in Dual Boot on my D: which is 1to and has 500go of free space.
Windows resize proposes to make a 6mo partition maximum, because windows, I guess.
Now I can use the 'install alongside' option of Manjaro live USB, it seems to take 50go or so and be non destructive, but I'm far from knowledgeable.
Customizing partition is terrifying so it's out.
I can't seem to install or use Gparted with the live USB.

Now the 500go of data are not life or death, I already saved what would be really annoying to lose, but if I could avoid nuking 500go of data, I would appreciate it nonetheless.

Edit - Bah, did a U-Turn and concluded that I already have a Deck if I want to toy with linux.

Last edited:
  • Toucan
  • Comfy
Reactions: Pommes and lashman

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
Been messing around with Mesa-GIT the past few months and I must say raytracing is finally getting there with the RADV drivers. Performance has increased quite a bit (can still be a bit iffy) and most games work. Cyberpunk no longer crashes using standard raytracing, Metro Exodus Enhanced just works same with Control. Now to just wait for Valve to release Mesa 23.2 for the SteamDeck and we might see some really light raytracing on the Deck.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
It's been a while since I've posted here, but Linux has been phenomenal for me. I got rid of my Windows partition recently too.

I haven't considered a AMD GPU in a long time, but it's something I'll have to take into account when the time comes. I'm on a 3080 right now, and was planning on waiting until the 50XX cards show up. I also need to do a new system build, and if I don't do it in the short-term with a 7800x3D, it'll be around that time as well.

• Gib
Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I recently set up a mini PC running Ubuntu 22.04 to replace my ageing Steam Link.

Right off the bat, my Steam Controller doesn't work properly because of this bug which remained unfixed: Steam controller: No mouse cursor support on Wayland · Issue #6615 · ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux

Switching the window manager to Xorg seems to have alleviated the issue, but the gamma seems off; my display producing a yellow tint as a result.

Instead of reading a VN in bed like I intended, I had to research into xrandr and redshift late into the night to try to fix the issue.

I suppose nothing has really changed in the 5 years since the last time I looked into this stuff, lol. :flare_lmao:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I recently set up a mini PC running Ubuntu 22.04 to replace my ageing Steam Link.

Right off the bat, my Steam Controller doesn't work properly because of this bug which remained unfixed: Steam controller: No mouse cursor support on Wayland · Issue #6615 · ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux

Switching the window manager to Xorg seems to have alleviated the issue, but the gamma seems off; my display producing a yellow tint as a result.

Instead of reading a VN in bed like I intended, I had to research into xrandr and redshift late into the night to try to fix the issue.

I suppose nothing has really changed in the 5 years since the last time I looked into this stuff, lol. :flare_lmao:
Does the Steam Controller fully work in Desktop mode on the Deck? Would suggest that Steam OS has some fixes as it's running Wayland

Reactions: lashman

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Does the Steam Controller fully work in Desktop mode on the Deck? Would suggest that Steam OS has some fixes as it's running Wayland
It works on the deck because it uses gamescope. I don't use it in my setup.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
It works on the deck because it uses gamescope. I don't use it in my setup.
It uses gamescop even in the Desktop mode? My understanding is that gamescope runs in its own window session, it's basically the game mode itself and my understanding was that it's not active in Desktop mode. For example, you don't have as much control over the games when you run in Desktop mode.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
It uses gamescop even in the Desktop mode? My understanding is that gamescope runs in its own window session, it's basically the game mode itself and my understanding was that it's not active in Desktop mode. For example, you don't have as much control over the games when you run in Desktop mode.
Ah, right. I misread you.

I don't plan to use desktop mode often in my setup, since it primarily will sit on BPM mode. As a consequence of the bug I mentioned, remote playing games that needs KB/M as opposed to a controller also doesn't work properly. The mouse cursor is practically unusable.

There's also another issue with Wayland when playing a video with mpv. The aspect ratio somehow becomes 4:3 when the source is 16:9. Furthermore, it also renders the desktop, almost as if it's in borderless fullscreen mode.

I certainly don't have the above issues with Xorg, except the colour gamma (which I can fix with the xgamma utility).

Frankly, I'd like to give SteamOS a go, but the next version (3.0) is still nowhere in sight.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Frankly, I'd like to give SteamOS a go, but the next version (3.0) is still nowhere in sight.
I think Valve just does not have the resources to work on improving SteamOS on the Deck, and also getting working on general PCs. Some of the work they do on Docks right now willy likely prove vital for that, so it's not entirely unrelated, but I assume it's simply a case where it's not exactly "sexy" work and so there are few at Valve that want to tackle it.

Meanwhile, you might want to look at ChimeraOS, which is a distro that also puts gaming first, and ships with its own gamemode, using gamescope from what I gather.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Meanwhile, you might want to look at ChimeraOS, which is a distro that also puts gaming first, and ships with its own gamemode, using gamescope from what I gather.
I did take a look at ChimeraOS, but it seems that it doesn't have support for neither Intel nor Nvidia. The GPU in my mini PC is Intel. I suppose I could install the Intel non-free driver myself to see what it's like, but reading other people experiences in customising it feels like a summer holiday project to me. :flare_lmao:

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Apropos of nothing, but I laughed a bit at this snippet of syslog I found while trying to troubleshoot an issue. :flare_lmao:

Code:
Aug 20 02:29:19 vidar /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[8321]: /etc/gdm3/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
Aug 20 02:29:19 vidar /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[8328]: There was a young man of Australia
Aug 20 02:29:19 vidar /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[8328]: Who went on a wild bacchanalia.
Aug 20 02:29:19 vidar /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[8328]: #011He buggered a frog,
Aug 20 02:29:19 vidar /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[8328]: #011Two mice and a dog,
Aug 20 02:29:19 vidar /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[8328]: And a bishop in fullest regalia.
Aug 20 02:29:19 vidar /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[8337]: localuser:kvik being added to access control list

• Toucan

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Apropos of nothing, but I laughed a bit at this snippet of syslog I found while trying to troubleshoot an issue. :flare_lmao:

Code:
Aug 20 02:29:19 vidar /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[8321]: /etc/gdm3/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
Aug 20 02:29:19 vidar /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[8328]: There was a young man of Australia
Aug 20 02:29:19 vidar /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[8328]: Who went on a wild bacchanalia.
Aug 20 02:29:19 vidar /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[8328]: #011He buggered a frog,
Aug 20 02:29:19 vidar /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[8328]: #011Two mice and a dog,
Aug 20 02:29:19 vidar /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[8328]: And a bishop in fullest regalia.
Aug 20 02:29:19 vidar /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[8337]: localuser:kvik being added to access control list
I think these messages are produced by this program: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_(Unix)

There is a website that seems to store all the snippets of text that fortune can spit out, here the one you posted There was a young man of Australia Who went - Freebsd Limericks: 698 - 707

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Yeah, I'm familiar with the limerick, but I'm just surprised to see it in the least likely place it could turn up.

Anyway, I've set up that fortune program, so it will run whenever I open up a terminal window. :flare_smirk:

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman and Mivey

undu

Mar 17, 2019
Seeing the progress of NVK, I wouldn't be too surprised if the steam deck 2 has an Nvidia gpu.

Also, the main developer of Zink, the openly to vulkan translator is not chair of the standard at Khronos: Manifesto

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
As someone with an Nvidia GPU and running Linux exclusively on my desktop, the progress of NVK has been great to see.

I am a little concerned about if they can get DLSS implemented in it. And I'm not very familiar with legal details on this, but would similar reasons as to why HDMI 2.1 isn't currently available on the open-source AMD Mesa drivers prevent it from being supported on NVK as well?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
As someone with an Nvidia GPU and running Linux exclusively on my desktop, the progress of NVK has been great to see.

I am a little concerned about if they can get DLSS implemented in it. And I'm not very familiar with legal details on this, but would similar reasons as to why HDMI 2.1 isn't currently available on the open-source AMD Mesa drivers prevent it from being supported on NVK as well?
I think for DLSS you pretty much need nvidia proprietary driver.

arcadepc

Jan 3, 2020
I use Linux Mint which is convenient ,stable and easy . Flatpak support eliminates the need to install apps, ppas, appimages, debs , custom updates, upgrades etc.

I use it mostly for retrogaming as I connected it to an old CRT monitor and added custom resolutions to xorg , eg 600x240x120 hz which is mandatory for old games to look decent with scanlines. Retroarch but also other emulators like Scummvm, Flycast and Redream, are low res friendly and allow you to adjust the menus and stretch the picture correctly. Same for some source ports of other games that can also take advantage of the CRT monitor. Eg Gzdoom, vkQuake, Nblood, Eduke32 etc
Playing at native low resolutions with added gfx makes the game look better than upscaling them

Reactions: jads653 and lashman