Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Got a Quest 2 last Friday. Haven't had much chance to use it thoroughly but I didn't immediately puke upon wearing it so I'll take that as a W.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Lucy Liu as the Pirate Queen's VA. Weirdly cool get, fingers crossed for the rest of this VR adventure.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Of course I buy one and this thing gets a price drop AND a sequel smfdh

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Great VR Direct, more new announcements than I expected and good selection of known games to showcase too. Now to hunt which new stuff aren't exclusive. I think to me the most impressive reveal not based on hype alone (Attack on Titan still without gameplay, Asgard's Wrath 2 has much to prove outside graphics after the original game's often amateur design) is Vampire: The Masquerade -Justice. It looks like some Thief/Dishonored shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Some of these games look cool. Part of me feels they're leaning quite heavily on licensing IP to try and get big names into VR, but some of the stuff does look great.

Have Meta realised that gaming is going to be VR's driver, not shitty social experiences?

Reactions: Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I imagine it's a bad day to launch or promote a VR game, everybody's all about Meta. Yet here we are (a couple of them were in the showcase, just go with it) 👀
Some of these games look cool. Part of me feels they're leaning quite heavily on licensing IP to try and get big names into VR, but some of the stuff does look great.

Have Meta realised that gaming is going to be VR's driver, not shitty social experiences?
Only a couple of those are in-house/exclusives but yes, it was "leaked" some time ago they'd go back to a gaming focus, whatever it means fickle as they are...

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and C-Dub

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Apple Vision Pro. They've only mentioned AR, spatial computing, eye, hand & voice controls, when others are close your eyes are displayed to and they to you. Some neat things like 3D camera included (And indicated when you're recording to others nearby) but I guess that means you gotta be wearing this thing when "living" your experiences you want to "relive" in 3D later on the device. Zero things gamers care about. I suppose you could potentially game on the giant 3D movie screen but meh. Edit: 100 + Apple Arcade titles available to play in this mode (with standard game controller support). Meh.

VR enthusiasts/gamers hoping Apple would make things they love mainstream through AR so more can be made should be reeling now. We aren't getting next gen Alyx or Lone Echo on this, it's just Apple's ecosystem & apps filling your space. I suppose it might make headset/goggle/whatever wearing more normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: d00d3n

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Apple Vision Pro. They've only mentioned AR, spatial computing, eye, hand & voice controls, when others are close your eyes are displayed to and they to you. Some neat things like 3D camera included (And indicated when you're recording to others nearby) but I guess that means you gotta be wearing this thing when "living" your experiences you want to "relive" in 3D later on the device. Zero things gamers care about. I suppose you could potentially game on the giant 3D movie screen but meh. Edit: 100 + Apple Arcade titles available to play in this mode (with standard game controller support). Meh.

VR enthusiasts/gamers hoping Apple would make things they love mainstream through AR so more can be made should be reeling now. We aren't getting next gen Alyx or Lone Echo on this, it's just Apple's ecosystem & apps filling your space. I suppose it might make headset/goggle/whatever wearing more normal.
It will cost 3499 usd! Way higher than I would entertain spending on a product like this, but the hardware looked solid. They hyped up having a custom chip ("R1") coordinating all the sensor data in low latency, so that may improve camera tracking compared with competitors I guess?

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
This will be terrible for games. You’ll probably need to get an aftermarket pair of controllers to play games with it. And that’s even if Apple allows it.

Apple calls them clunky, but I reckon trying to do precise in-game actions with your fingers will suck more.

Reactions: Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Back to what I love about XR, not a way to bring phone & productivity apps in my face/brain, but the immersive & fun XR content indie & AAA studios have been developing since ~2016. XR movie watching & OS stuff are neat, but nothing new, even if less clumsy or sharper, we'd get there eventually, especially for that💰

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:
  • Gib

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The Upload VR Summer Showcase is on (you'd have seen most of the games if you check this thread but there are a few reveals), plus today's stuff outside that.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The VR train isn't stopping, I can't even work or sleep without stuff getting announced/shown off/released/updated nowadays. Dumping the original source here (ie the PlayStation Blog) for brevity, news apply to more platforms (ie, Hubris showed off the Quest port, the PSVR2 updates are coming to PC too, etc.) o_O

Last edited:
  • Gib

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:
  • Gib

Jadax

MetaMember
Oct 25, 2018
I'm legit considering getting the Quest 3 when it releases. That being said, I had the Quest 2 and sold it within a month because it was so uncomfortable and buying all the extras just so it fits properly for long gaming sessions was annoying.

• Blobxorcism

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I'm legit considering getting the Quest 3 when it releases. That being said, I had the Quest 2 and sold it within a month because it was so uncomfortable and buying all the extras just so it fits properly for long gaming sessions was annoying.
Unless there’s a specific VR game you want to play right now, I’d wait for the ideal hardware for you.

I have a Quest 2 and I find it fine since I bought lenses to go inside it and a comfort strap, but I don’t think the Quest line of headsets will be the de facto best for PC for much longer.

I personally think a new gen of headsets is on the horizon and I think some of them will be much better than what Meta is offering with the Quest 3/Pro.

Jadax

MetaMember
Oct 25, 2018
Unless there’s a specific VR game you want to play right now, I’d wait for the ideal hardware for you.

I have a Quest 2 and I find it fine since I bought lenses to go inside it and a comfort strap, but I don’t think the Quest line of headsets will be the de facto best for PC for much longer.

I personally think a new gen of headsets is on the horizon and I think some of them will be much better than what Meta is offering with the Quest 3/Pro.
No games specifically. I still follow VR stuff and wishlist games, but nothing I need to play. About the headset, which one would you recommend in the future. To be honest I thought the Quest 3 would be the best (not best hardware, but I'm not putting in $4k for a VR set).

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I think whatever headset Valve does, frankly.

But I guess that depends on price too.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Not much stuff today but something. Tomb Explorer won't make its goal sadly, it looked pretty good in its Tomb Raider/Uncharted -ness, I hope they keep at it.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Cool Perp Games Showcase, the highlight is probably the Vertigo 2 video & PSVR2 announcement...

Last edited: