Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I hate switching pages, so much goodness is on the last one, down to the finish.
Search page showing all the VR demos released for Steam Next Fest & stuff:

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Hey, does Facebook being down mean that the Oculus doesn't work?
Reports claim so. My PC Oculus app does let me launch my installed games though, I guess they may work to make it similar on Quest after this debacle ends. Edit: it seems some Quest games hang after launch so it's possible some of mine on PC don't work either, I didn't actually try to play, just launched them. Edit again: I dunno what the deal is for sure, some say they can't see apps, just some settings on their Quest, yet there are tweets like this indicating otherwise. Others say they got signed out of their PC Oculus app so they can't even play their Steam VR games as the app has to be properly up and running. I dunno. I guess it may be inconsistent based on various factors, much like Steam's offline mode at times hasn't been functional during outages for some people.

Last edited:

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
Some of these Half-Life: Alyx mods I've seen recently are pretty impressive. I hoped it would be the catalyst for the community, much like the previous Half-Life entries were. We'll have to see where it goes.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Crazy amount of VR news today once again. Dying my ass (most of it also/for PC VR btw).

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Lone Echo II for me on the Oculus Store: 39.99. Lone Echo & Lone Echo II Bundle: 34.60. Lol what? Edit: the bundle works right deducting what you own, but not getting the discount directly on the game's page is silly for sure, like I already own the other game in the bundle but I'd ever willingly wish to pay more?

The swan song of Oculus PC VR efforts and they don't even put it all over the front page of the app (which even has a new releases section it's not in) so you have to dig for it, plus even though the game page was online before release, in the app any search came up with nothing so you couldn't even wishlist or anything. A good showcase that they truly are done with the PC side I guess, it's a shame Ready at Dawn's ace efforts weren't celebrated enough though.

Last edited:
Reactions: MomoVideo

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Vive Flow promo image leak thread. I'm still confused about what it actually is, just next gen daydream/cardboard VR or something? They don't even show controllers (or hand tracking, no cameras? edit: ok so new images show there are cameras and more promo material missing but it still probably isn't meant for any kind of serious VRing or whatever as most things in the new library image are barely interactive experiences or simple adventures, though a couple of them would require pretty good hand tracking/controls to be playable) so I guess I'm not the target audience. Will it find one? We'll see. Nice form factor though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prodigy and knch

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Certainly looks interesting, strange the haven't shown any gaming controllers in the pictures. You would almost think it uses your hands for everything.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Had to pack my VR stuff away as im hopefully moving soon. Looking for a new place and i'd like a room for VR so i dont have to shift all my furniture out the way to play.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Playing Loen Echo 2, but it feels like Lone Echo 1.5, the game quality and all feels great, but the pacing is very slow and I don't feel it's much different from the first game. Tell me Im playing a long story DLC for the first game and I believe you. Hopefully things pick up soon, played 1.5 hours I think.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Alextended have you tried Song In The Smoke?
Not yet, I do want it but I'm waiting to see if it will release outside the Oculus Store. I don't trust Facebook to keep that functional much longer. They haven't even updated the front page of the PC app to show their own last flagship Lone Echo II, you have to click Store or search for it (prior to launch searches didn't even bring up the game so you couldn't wishlist unless you found the page via browser or whatever) & the sales page is broken (or they never do PC sales).

Last edited:

DesolationStone

Sep 17, 2020
Italy
noblogo.org
They haven't even updated the front page of the PC app to show their own last flagship Lone Echo II ffs, you have to click store > new releases or search for it (and prior to launch searches didn't even bring up the game at all, so you couldn't wishlist or anything unless you found the page via browser or whatever).
I have noticed the same thing and I'll probably do the same

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Watch a japanese influencer with 3 million subs play RE4VR. I was miffed cut scenes were in a window when that was announced but it seems to be handled decently. Relatively seamless transition so you don't actually look around during a cut scene as you otherwise could since cut scenes in non VR games often aren't proper off camera, characters will pop in just outside the field of view to then animate in front of the camera rather than arrive from somewhere, then pop out or sit in some random T pose. They weren't gonna remake all that. I like how they did the radio discussions, holding it in your hand and the world fading out. Melee is in, and sort of like I thought, the character pops in front of you to do the canned animations. It's not as smooth as I hoped it could be, have Leon actually jump in front of you then do the move etc, it kinda just snaps him into place, but oh well. Better than removing it and reducing it to just you throwing a manual punch or something, no more kicks and suplexes etc. So it seems like they're doing all they can to properly make it into VR and still keep it RE4.

Last edited:

SaberVS7

Average Date a Live Enjoyer
Jan 23, 2020
Hmm, when do new releases on Quest normally go live? Are we looking at midnight for RE4, or midday?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Derp, some dude has already speedran it (spedran? whatever) in ~4.5 hours, lol (and you can find videos from all kinds of influencers and reviews from some sites including IGN and stuff, I won't be posting all of that here myself but feel free to). I guess he's obviously played it before out of VR, heh, min maxing his inventory and beelining to objectives, tricks and all. It doesn't look at all immersive here so be warned. Clearly he's playing sitting, probably resting his arms on the chair and only slightly moving his wrist around for the most part, while mostly using the analog sticks to move/turn/look. It almost looks like watching someone play the non VR version at times with how still his hands are and all the artificial movement. Still, the game's clearly intact and the AI works out similarly so he knows exactly when he's killed something and how much it takes to do that or knock them down, how they move etc. Naturally I wouldn't be playing like that my first time, I don't look to be an efficient terminator of the game but to enjoy it (theoretically in my case anyway, no Quest 2 here). Still, cool.

Note when he's using the sniper rifle like in 2:35:36 (probably elsewhere too) it has the old school round scope view in the black void, I hope there's an option for a proper VR version of that. Same for turning off the laser sights so you have to aim yourself etc., but that's probably an option for sure, the scope maybe not.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Varjo's Aero has been revealed as a ~2000 euro prosumer & business HMD before the cost of base stations/controllers from Index/Vive as it uses Lighthouse tracking. It's probably the king of the tier against the likes of Vive Pro Eye 2 or Pimax's best and a glimpse into (far?) future affordable VR kits for the rest of us.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Weird that Steam is advertising this. Though I do wanna see reviews and if the tracking is any better.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

This thing's gonna be expensive for sure, though I'm not sure exactly which parts will be built-in and which will be optional between all the facial expression tracking, lip tracking, body tracking and all kinds of other things. Wireless to PC, 6000 mAh swappable battery, stand alone mode running off XR2 (same as the Quest 2 but they claim magical shenanigans to drive those resolutions in good quality etc.), a mini PC of their own build for something inbetween these two modes, wi-fi 6e streaming or their own optional custom wireless streaming kit, swappable face plates to convert it to MR or lighthouse tracking a la Vive Cosmos, there's so much information here, lol. Well, if they can get good inside out tracking on par with Oculus going, if it's got a half decent price at its most basic version without all the extra modules, it might be worth checking out for an easy to set up (I mean, if it will have all kinds of compatibility issues then never mind) wireless PC VR kit with inside out tracking. I'd definitely consider it. Of course, getting a full price discount for any currently owned Pimax model probably means it's expensive as hell too (then again you could put the full price towards extras too I imagine). Still, cool. Edit: yup, "from $2399" they say. It's for the 1%.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: DesolationStone

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
There's nothing new in that article, it's just a negative spin. I'm not defending Facebook or anything, just saying, a name change obviously does nothing, it's still Facebook and naturally any account system is a Facebook account system, it's a pretty obvious call to make. If the company was the reason one did not want anything to do with it and is bound to boycott them over the principle of it, we're still talking about the same company whether we're using Facebook, Oculus, Meta or whatever login. They've not come out to say we're sorry, we're changing or anything, it's just been a string of denial, excuses and doing nothing, right? Naturally nothing about this signifies any real change in their practices and goals, nor did they even claim this. If you're among those people then nothing they do will be good enough, for good reason too. However, given this particular issue for their VR hardware (it's Facebook hardware regardless of login so boycott accordingly) started when they migrated from the Facebook owned Oculus accounts to the Facebook owned Facebook accounts, people got very upset for reasons beyond being that one company called Facebook but the actual functionality and connection to the Facebook social media platform, a service many did not want to use and certainly not tie to their content ownership. That is what's changing again and thus it can only be a positive thing. Edited less wordy.

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Dub

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I think people (myself included) are naturally cynical because the "you don't need a Facebook account" spiel just feels like a natural extension of Facebook changing its name to Meta. Facebook - I mean Meta - is yet another Silicon Valley company, and their duplicity and careful use of semantics knows no bounds.

Yes, they may technically unlink Facebook, but the company clearly has some asinine policies and there's a good chance this is just a case of same shit, different asshole.

I'd like to be proven wrong, though.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited: