Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
There was so much good stuff at the end of the last page (and in general) it's a shame to switch to this one but oh well, VR keeps on giving, news is news is :longswordblob:

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Just wants 4 player Total War
Jul 16, 2021
Anyone know of any escape room VR games that can be played in MP. Preferrably quest, but anything is technically fine.

Arkanius

Dec 21, 2018
Has anyone tried this one yet?

I'm about to buy it, looks amazing tbh how involved it is

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Has anyone tried this one yet?

I'm about to buy it, looks amazing tbh how involved it is
Dunno. Rolling Line is another you might wanna check and decide on (model trains).
Anyone know of any escape room VR games that can be played in MP. Preferrably quest, but anything is technically fine.
This search might help but not much, they really should make escape room a tag though. Maybe games like Phasmophobia and Forewarned are technically similar in concept and worth exploring for your play scenario. I think there are also player created escape rooms for the likes of NeosVR, VRChat and TraVRsal.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

There's a lot more After the Fall coverage but they all seem to have similar developer stock footage and have similar opinions, more or less lenient on issues.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Welp, I impulse bought Oculus Quest 2 today:blobweary: It should arrive on Tuesday so I got time to think because I have absolutely no idea what I am even going to play on it. The only timeworthy games in my library that support VR are Project Wingman and... Double Action:Boogaloo (jk). I wish listed HL: Alyx, Beat Saber, Boneworks, Subnautica, Pistol Whip and I'm keeping my eye out for RE4 on Quest Store... or whatever it is called. I hope that wireless PC streaming to Quest will work well on my network and that laptop with GTX 1060 will be sufficient for satisfactory VR gaming because I would prefer to play PC games instead of native Oculus versions.

Are there any good RPGs or Horrors? I mean I know there are for sure, but hopefully someone can recommend me something I did not see. I remember a game I have seen a year or two ago, it was this rather higher budget action-adventure-rpg in Norse mythology and it was reviewed very favorably. It looked pretty cool but now I can't find it.

Reactions: Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Welp, I impulse bought Oculus Quest 2 today:blobweary: It should arrive on Tuesday so I got time to think because I have absolutely no idea what I am even going to play on it. The only timeworthy games in my library that support VR are Project Wingman and... Double Action:Boogaloo (jk). I wish listed HL: Alyx, Beat Saber, Boneworks, Subnautica, Pistol Whip and I'm keeping my eye out for RE4 on Quest Store... or whatever it is called. I hope that wireless PC streaming to Quest will work well on my network and that laptop with GTX 1060 will be sufficient for satisfactory VR gaming because I would prefer to play PC games instead of native Oculus versions.

Are there any good RPGs or Horrors? I mean I know there are for sure, but hopefully someone can recommend me something I did not see. I remember a game I have seen a year or two ago, it was this rather higher budget action-adventure-rpg in Norse mythology and it was reviewed very favorably. It looked pretty cool but now I can't find it.
I've got a list of great PC VR games with descriptions here (edit, oh, it embeds, neat):
For RPGs there's either the likes of Skyrim VR or indie stuff like Vengeful Rites. For horror, stuff like Lies Beneath, Cosmodread or Phasmophobia. I don't feel like suggesting certain streamer bait horror titles because there are better games in the adventure genre like The Room, Red Matter or Lone Echo (which may have scary moments but clearly aren't horror themed) or great action games like The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners which may have horror themes but aren't scary.

The 1060 may struggle, my 1080 certainly does in the higher end (or less well optimized) games, but there's also my aging CPU to consider. I guess you can find out which games are cross-buy on the Oculus store to buy them and play them natively on the Quest 2, with whatever downgrades, then eventually also play them on PC when you can get better results after upgrades. Otherwise go Steam/buy exclusives only on Quest 2 like RE4 or similar. That's up to you.

The game you're speaking of is probably Asgard's Wrath, I wasn't a fan after it released and preferred decidedly lower budget games like Journey of the Gods.

Regardless you should just take your time at first and go through the Oculus tutorials and then static and/or tech demoy games like The Lab, Superhot VR, Beat Saber, Pistol Whip and similar before trying the full locomotion traditional gameplay titles just in case they give you trouble if you're not used to VR yet (and also so you don't default to teleportation and end up wanting to play everything like that, never getting used to free movement by avoiding it from the start). You'll probably also appreciate such games more than if you get them after more expansive titles and then wonder why anyone ever liked the simpler ones.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MomoVideo

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
The game you're speaking of is probably Asgard's Wrath,
That's it! No wonder I could not find it - it's because it's not on Steam! Also many thanks for the recommendations! I added a few more to my wishlist.

I think I will not have issues with locomotion in VR because I played a bit of RE7 and some Exorcist game in the past on my friend's PSVR and I felt fine.

You'll probably also appreciate such games more than if you get them after more expansive titles and then wonder why anyone ever liked the simpler ones.
I actually thought about this and this is why I won't try HL: Alyx straight away 😅 I also wanted to have a list of games that I know I am interested in and buy them if they by any chance appear on sale.

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
Sorry for the double post. I just found out about this referral program for Oculus, where you and the other person get $30 voucher for Oculus Store. Is it still possible to use someone's referral link after buying Oculus 2 but not activating it?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Going by this, you get referred on messenger then you may buy the Quest from anywhere, when you activate with that account you get it. I don't have a Q.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MomoVideo

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
Cool, anyone want to send me a referral link? :thumbsupblob:

Arkanius

Dec 21, 2018
Remember the game I asked about, Derail Valley?
The game is ABSOLUTELY GREAT if you love simulators and trains. Lots of fun, and still in early access.
I'm hooked.

Also has a pancake mode.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Microsoft Flight Simulator's interactive cockpits are now compatible with VR controllers on the PC!👨‍✈️

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Remember the game I asked about, Derail Valley? The game is ABSOLUTELY GREAT if you love simulators and trains. Lots of fun, and still in early access. I'm hooked. Also has a pancake mode.
It's getting more huge updates (now "simulator", I guess its current "overhauled" was another). I thought it's a new game/sequel and was like oh, poor Arkanius.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Once again a page search link to find all the VR games discounted during the Autumn Sale on Steam:

Last edited:

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
The Black Friday sale has started on Oculus Store. There are some real bangers there. I just bought Beat Saber and HL:Alyx on Steam and thought that I would be done, but nope, now I have to spent some more on Oculus Store.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
Okay, that Rapture mod for HL: Alyx looks super good. Looking at it makes me wonder what kind of mods will we see in the future.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe Spangle

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe Spangle

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I wonder how After the Fall's sales are going. The game is not my thing/mood atm but it seems a bit better than I expected from Vertigo Games (I was never a fan of Arizona Sunshine either, I'd pan it more if it wasn't somewhat excused by its age), plus it seems to have a solid plan for its GAAS shenanigans to keep it relevant over time, assuming of course they make enough money to keep supporting it. Although it's probably selling slower than the studio hoped in general, on Steam it has around 460 user reviews (at the time of writing) and on the Oculus Store on Quest about 520 (and some double digit number on the Rift side, nobody buys games on the Oculus Store on PC, duh) so it seems to be among the titles that are able to keep up on PC. It has had decent coverage overall, people who care about VR know it exists, it's likened to great PC games like Left 4 Dead and so on (yet it also hasn't been pimped so much and served to every user by Facebook itself to make it some runaway hit on their platform, not yet at least). So far it seems that we have 3 tiers for comparisons, games like Beat Saber, Alyx and Boneworks that got super hyped and matched or surpassed the sales of the top sellers on Quest (including Beat Saber there), games with lower hype than that like Pistol Whip which sell less than on Quest but still a very good chunk of 1/2nd or 1/3rd meaning that version is more than valuable to the developers still and then finally the chaos with next to no sales on PC and only the Quest as a potential profitable platform, assuming you're lucky enough for Facebook to approve your game of course, it's still a closed ecosystem unlike PC where any indie can release and try their luck. To me it seems to be a matter of the current dodgy VR media not really covering PC VR at all, only what Facebook serves on a silver platter or a big production gets any mention at all, PC VR as a platform is panned left and right, the cable issue is way overblown (and yet the same places make sure Virtual Desktop has been a best seller on Quest, like er, what do you access with it if not PC VR) and the actual mainstream gaming media once again don't really cover VR yet to counter act that. So basically it's a matter of visibility that means even enthusiasts if they aren't obsessed like me here don't know what's up and what's good and of course the actual competition with flat games, since to get into VR something has to be more special than usual to beat playing the very best flat games you have access to on the platform, when a casual Quest user only gets that by default. The constant PC VR is dead narration doesn't help, leading to a self fulfilling prophecy cycle of PC VR not getting promoted, then speaking of its lower sales (ignoring examples showing different), ad nauseam. I think that once VR goes mainstream for real, as accepted as non VR games, not how Facebook is trying to brute force it, PC VR will be in the same situation as PC flat gaming, getting every game by default as a platform almost required for success. The users are there to convince as some of the games already proved, people didn't trash their devices since.

Last edited:

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
I did not have a chance to play After the Fall yet, I was interested in it but I value my money and therefore I can't buy it yet. I believe the problem with After The Fall is a low amount of content and it's not helped by the fact that the game is pricey. I would really like to play it, but I do not think that in its current state it is worth the asking price and I'm sure a lot of people think the same. 5 maps that are about 20 minutes long and only 2 multiplayer maps. Not only that, there is no enemy and boss variety. That's really a shame because everything else looks really good. I like the idea of upgrading my equipment between the runs in this type of game ( Back 4 Blood tried to do something somewhat similar with their card system but I hate it) but with such lackluster variety, I would be burned out rather quickly. I hope the developers will deliver more content swiftly because I need this type of game for VR in my life.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
So quick question, how is the experience using an Oculus Quest 2 with your PC? Does it have the video-compression look I remember hearing about with the Quest 1?

Thinking of maybe getting one, or maybe just waiting until I can afford something bespoke for PC. The controllers that came with my WMR headset are already basically unusable, worthless piece of shit that it is.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Quality will depend on setup, the cable, or wi-fi or whatever you choose to do with it. There's always compression but assuming a good set up it's gonna be fine. There are through the lens vids (under different circumstances and importantly in comparison to other kits since it's not how it looks in person) and such to find...

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019