|OT| The official Marvel Cinematic Universe thread!

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Right, Wandavision is a bait-and-switch yes? There's no way the trailers are representative of the actual show. It has to be a case of the trailers giving the impression of it being a shit 50s tv show meta parody but there has to be more to it than that? Surely? It looks like really well done pants to me.

Reactions: QFNS and Alexandros
OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Right, Wandavision is a bait-and-switch yes? There's no way the trailers are representative of the actual show. It has to be a case of the trailers giving the impression of it being a shit 50s tv show meta parody but there has to be more to it than that? Surely? It looks like really well done pants to me.
I think it's reasonable to assume that

Wanda (probably unwittingly) created these TV show-like realities as a means of coping with Vision's death. The plot will likely be about how she escapes these realities, either by eventually realizing that she's trapped or by others from the outside trying to free her.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
summary of upcoming stuff
Such a great slate especially when you consider that doesn't include Avengers and X-Men stuff that's almost certainly coming.
One thing I would really love to see is either a live action or animated Spider-man series for Holland showing him doing more street level stuff but that may not be possible with Sony.

Reactions: Alexandros
OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Such a great slate especially when you consider that doesn't include Avengers and X-Men stuff that's almost certainly coming.
One thing I would really love to see is either a live action or animated Spider-man series for Holland showing him doing more street level stuff but that may not be possible with Sony.
Personally I really can't wait for the Fantastic Four and Namor to join the fray. The first comic book I ever read was a story of the Fantastic Four trying to repel Namor's assault on the surface world.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

Cap may be coming back!
I have a bit of a problem with the implication of alternate universes, it somehow makes it all feel consequence-less if that is the narrative device they use to bring so many characters back. I don't know for sure that this is how they'll do it and who knows what sort of plot they have for the next decade, but they do seem to be leaning heavily on this idea of multiverse and I don't really like the sound of it.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Yeah I really don't like alternate universes. But if they do it good then I'm onboard. Meaning that alternate characters are only brief side things but the main focus is always on the "main" one.

Reactions: Swenhir
OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Watched the first episodes of Wandavision and if feels great to be back in the MCU! But I can't wait for it to become more than "real", the first two episodes were little too much just about getting to know the TV world and not enough about what's actually happening.
They were but I loved it! I really want to know what the hell is happening but I found the sitcom bits very entertaining.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
They were but I loved it! I really want to know what the hell is happening but I found the sitcom bits very entertaining.
Yeah I really liked it too! Best was Vision trying to be human.XD Also what is the emblem with the sword? I don't read comics so have no idea who they are supposed to be and can't remember them from the MCU either.

OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Yeah I really liked it too! Best was Vision trying to be human.XD Also what is the emblem with the sword? I don't read comics so have no idea who they are supposed to be and can't remember them from the MCU either.
The sword emblem is the logo of S.W.O.R.D., a S.H.I.E.L.D. offshoot that is more focused on extraterrestrial threats, although it appears that the MCU version will also handle incidents involving superhumans. Its only previous indirect appearance in the MCU was in an after-credits scene in Far From Home. Nick Fury was overseeing the construction of a space station which will be SWORD's headquarters.

Reactions: Le Pertti

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I've been rewatching marvel movies and I have to say, Doctor Strange might just be my favorite outing of theirs, ever, perhaps even getting into my personal favorite list.

It's such a compelling watch, the pacing never lets up and it's hard to let go at any other time than the beginning, which is a little too gruesome for my taste. The characters are so good overall, written really rather well and it says a lot that Kaecilius would be the weakest of all in my opinion, with The Ancient One towering over them all.

She is, hands down, one of my favourite characters from the entire MCU and I deeply regret that she had to be killed off. She has such moments of unadulterated, awe-inspiring greatness, one of the few where Marvel truly manages to fill me with awe at a character's skill and power, to properly elicit gravitas and the impression of a being older than we can imagine.

None of it would be possible without the cinematography, which is to put it simply, superb.

The effects and art direction themselves are something that is rarely praised and here they truly deserve it. They elicit in me that same marvel Strange experiences at witnessing magic for the first time, and those scenes are all elevated by the music intertwined in them. It is what I think is the best soundtrack to ever score those movies.

Also, that cheeky last credit line.

What I will say was the most jarring and unrealistic part of these movies is that Kathmandu would have this sort of view on the mountains. Too much dust and pollution :p

OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Swenhir The only thing I didn't like in Dr Strange were the pretty lame spells that most of the wizards used. I mean I get that Dr Strange was a novice but even the rest of them used magic to conjure simple shields and spears.

• This!

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Swenhir The only thing I didn't like in Dr Strange were the pretty lame spells that most of the wizards used. I mean I get that Dr Strange was a novice but even the rest of them used magic to conjure simple shields and spears.
That's actually a good point. Something was irking me about it and you hit the nail on the head. I really agree regarding the lack of imagination there. Still, their aesthetic I do find brilliant, especially when TAO first demonstrates one to Strange. I also find all the dimension manipulation stuff absolutely mind-bogglingly good. Those VFX shots must have been hell to plan and shoot.

OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
That's actually a good point. Something was irking me about it and you hit the nail on the head. I really agree regarding the lack of imagination there. Still, their aesthetic I do find brilliant, especially when TAO first demonstrates one to Strange. I also find all the dimension manipulation stuff absolutely mind-bogglingly good. Those VFX shots must have been hell to plan and shoot.
I think Dr Strange 2 will be vastly improved on that front. Sam Raimi is a great choice for such a property, I expect him to make something truly special. I think the first movie, while very accomplished, lacked a bit of imagination in its action scenes. I found the decision to focus on straightforward hand-to-hand combat in the first movie quite strange (no pun intended) because the movie clearly communicated that magic overcomes physical limitations.

OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Im really enjoying WandaVision.

However Im most excited for Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Love those guys.
The great thing is that Falcon and Winter Soldier starts very shortly after Wandavision ends. Having new MCU stuff to look forward to every week is just fantastic.

• Love

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
the "commercial" in thsi weeks wandavision was so dark and i loved it.

Also
Wanda in that Scarlett Witch outfit
:love:

• Love
OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
It seems like an obvious reference to multiverse shenanigans.

OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
This might indicate that Black Widow will be released on Disney+. Loki was previously announced for May.

• Eyes
Reactions: AHA-Lambda
OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Damn Wandavision was great! If the rest of their TV stuff is that kind of quality I'm all in!
Yeah it's very very good. We'll see if they can maintain that level of quality, my guess would be yes because Marvel Studios have proven themselves. Falcon and Winter Soldier will be a good test, it seems a lot more straightforward than Wandavision so if they can make that as interesting as WV we have nothing to fear.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
This episode was quite nice, trying to retcon a lot of things that were hastily ignored in Age of Ultron and never really covered until now.

I don't really buy the whole "witches are real" thing though, but that's not due to the idea, more that I was honestly expecting Harkness to be a manifestation of Wanda's psyche to try and absolve herself of guilt by having a villain to rail against.

OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
This episode was quite nice, trying to retcon a lot of things that were hastily ignored in Age of Ultron and never really covered until now.

I don't really buy the whole "witches are real" thing though, but that's not due to the idea, more that I was honestly expecting Harkness to be a manifestation of Wanda's psyche to try and absolve herself of guilt by having a villain to rail against.
I think they are, the character has her origins in the comics so I don't expect any surprises regarding that.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I'm quite liking Falcon and Winter Soldier. My biggest fear was that it would be just an ad for the military but they do get real and critical about stuff. So yeah I'm in!
I think the therapist parts are simultaneously the most misrepresentative parts of how a professional should behave and the funniest.

I'm also feeling like John Walker hasn't done anything really wrong for the most part. He's hypocritical, sure, in that he plays friendly when the object of their difference is sitting in his hands. Still, they've been complete assholes to him and I can't see their hostility as completely justified.

Of course, with a nose like that he'll do a heel-face turn and be after the serum himself and has been threatening the flag smashers, but y'know..