|OT| The official Marvel Cinematic Universe thread!

OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I wonder if the old guard retiring will affect the MCU's popularity going forward. It is indeed the end of an era for at least some of the original Avengers and it will be weird to have an Avengers movie without Iron Man, Captain America and Thor.

Reactions: Milena
OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Just a few more days, the wait is killing me!

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I wonder if the old guard retiring will affect the MCU's popularity going forward. It is indeed the end of an era for at least some of the original Avengers and it will be weird to have an Avengers movie without Iron Man, Captain America and Thor.
It will be weirder when they are recast. How do they explain that? Have Dr Strange pull them from alternate universes into the MCU prime? Say they're the 'Mighty' or Uncanny versions of the heroes?

Then again, they hand waived away Ed Norton (and Eric Bana too, sort of :cry:), so I guess they could just outright ignore it.

Reactions: Alexandros
OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
It will be weirder when they are recast. How do they explain that? Have Dr Strange pull them from alternate universes into the MCU prime? Say they're the 'Mighty' or Uncanny versions of the heroes?

Then again, they hand waived away Ed Norton (and Eric Bana too, sort of :cry:), so I guess they could just outright ignore it.
I don't think they'll recast for a very long time. They have so many characters available now that they can keep going for ten more years at least without running out of material. I think that recasts will happen only when the entire MCU gets rebooted way down the line.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I don't think they'll recast for a very long time. They have so many characters available now that they can keep going for ten more years at least without running out of material. I think that recasts will happen only when the entire MCU gets rebooted way down the line.
We'll have to see how post-Endgame box office slips look for the individual character movies that aren't already established characters (Spiderman, black widow, Black Panther). If they start slipping into 500mill or less territory, they might get that recast up and running a lot quicker.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I got tickets for my wife and I on Friday. Very excited.

I do expect maybe 1 or 2 "permanent" deaths mostly because I think they can't afford to keep bringing back RDJ or Chris Evans for 3 more movies or whatever. If nothing else they use it as a way to reset the universe somehow so different people can play the characters in the future.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Just a heads up, there are actual legit spoilers out there since 4 minutes of footage leaked. I watched it and it's great but there are various scenes from some pretty important plot points.
Plot points you expected or something that "blew" your mind?

Got tickets for my wife and me on Wednesday. Just two more days, the anticipation is starting to get to me tbh. The last time I was that excited for a movie was The Force Awakens.
Than there is Got Episode 3 next week, where several characters are going to die.
This is an awesome month for nerds.

guek

Mar 22, 2019
I find anti-spoiler culture annoying most of the time but the concern over getting spoil is real with this one. I hope I make it to Saturday

OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Oh, for sure. I expect changed characters, people stepping up, people going into retirement.
I'd be fine with retirements and secondary character deaths but I'd like the rest to stick around, if only for the awesome moments we'll get when they cameo in future movies. I'm afraid that major characters might die though and that makes me really sad.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I'd be fine with retirements and secondary character deaths but I'd like the rest to stick around, if only for the awesome moments we'll get when they cameo in future movies. I'm afraid that major characters might die though and that makes me really sad.
I think characters dying is something that needs to be done. Don't get me wrong, I get as sad (or angry) when my favorite characters die just like everybody else. Red wedding in the Strom of Swords? I was sitting in a street train at the time (way before the show) and I was in shock, I even missed my stop. When a certain female character died in the last wheel of time book I threw it across the room.
Still, stories with invincible characters get boring. I like well explained villains and I like my heroes flawed and mortal.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Characters should die, just to shut up all of the "there are no stakes bruh" people for good (plus, RDJs salary grows in a geometric progression at this point). My guess, either Cap, Thor or Tony dies/retires by the end of a movie. They didn't set a successor for Tony, but Cap has Falcon and the other Cap can take his place in a team, and Valkyrie (as much as I dislike Thessa Thompson's acting abilities) can replace Thor in case if they're not recasting Jane. Can't wait!

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
What an emotional ride this was indeed. Fresh out of the cinema, so impressions are still very strong.
This was the best MCU movie ever and the second super hero movie I'd give a 10/10. A lot of time will pass until this movie will be reached, let alone beaten.
The movie invested a lot of time to build the world and to show where the charters are now and I loved every second of it. The humour was on point and very much needed. You thought Guardians 1 is the most funny MCU movie? Nope, it's this one. It's also the most sad one and the most action packed one. The whole package is on another level.
The crowd in my cinema even reacted to certain scenes and you have to understand: people are normally quiet here. The was nothing Last year, during the Inginity war snap. Today: joy, shock, laughter and a tear or two. This movie made Germans show feelings, I've never witness something similar. A feat on its own.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I don't know how the French are usually, but the fullpacked morning showing I was at people were clapping and cheering constantly. Even I was and it was the first time in my life. It's hard not to just spontaneously erupt in "hell yeah" when something awesome happens, only because you've been with these characters for so long and seen them have their ups and downs.

Reactions: Alexandros and ISee

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I envy you guys. Our premiere of Endgame has been moved to 29th April because Ministry of Culture "protects" some godawful home made Ocean's 11 knock-off. I. Must. Resist.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I envy you guys. Our premiere of Endgame has been moved to 29th April because Ministry of Culture "protects" some godawful home made Ocean's 11 knock-off. I. Must. Resist.
Your government postponed Avangers:Endgame, because they want people to watch a domestic Ocean's 11 adaption? That's weird!
Did they fund the movie and want the money back? Just out of curiosity: Where are you from?

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Your government postponed Avangers:Endgame, because they want people to watch a domestic Ocean's 11 adaption? That's weird!
Did they fund the movie and want the money back? Just out of curiosity: Where are you from?
I'm from Russia.

Yep, they invested money in a film called "Billion" which is essentially an Ocean's 11 ripoff. Thankfully, the shit is bombing on every front, critics hate it, audience hates it and the film won't break even in the box-office either. In the end, it wasn't worth it.

Reactions: ISee

dosukebe

ćŠć£ć±ć„ćÆå‘½ć€å°»ćÆę•…éƒ·
Apr 20, 2019
Going to see it Saturday morning and am pretty hyped up!

I think Tony retires and Cap dies. The Falcon and Winter Soldier series on Disney+ will deal with them deciding on who should become Cap.
My expection on endgame is that either one of or both Captain America and Iron Man will die or have something happen that will otherwise take them out of the MCU, because of the actors being done.

But I also think that filmmakers know everyone is expecting this and we're going to get some kind of curve ball. I also think that, like the comics, none of this is going to matter and they can bring back whoever whenever they want. At some point they're going to have to accept that the same actors are not going to keep playing the same characters forever and I can't see them not having Steve Rogers and Tony Stark for long, even if we can still have a Captain America with either Bucky or Falcon in the role and someone else in the Iron Man armor.

Possible ending spoiler: I read a supposed account that
Captain America goes back in time to "retire" and stay with Peggy Carter in the 40s, implying that he'll come back if needed, then gives his shield to Falcon.
Is this true? Would be pretty cool if so.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
dosukebe
I don't want to confirm nor deny leaks in this thread. But I've sent you a pm with the answer. Open it if you really want to know.

Reactions: dosukebe

dosukebe

ćŠć£ć±ć„ćÆå‘½ć€å°»ćÆę•…éƒ·
Apr 20, 2019
dosukebe
I don't want to confirm nor deny leaks in this thread. But I've sent you a pm with the answer. Open it if you really want to know.
Thanks! Spoilers don't bother me and still can't wait to see this! :D

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
So, with Thanos out of the picture who do you guys think will be the big bad of the next phase? I guess with X-Men and F4 return they might go with Galactus or do a powerful mutant villain. On the other hand there's plenty comics material from Dr. Strange to GotG that can provide less known but great big bad. I wonder what Feige cooks in his kitchen.

OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
So, with Thanos out of the picture who do you guys think will be the big bad of the next phase? I guess with X-Men and F4 return they might go with Galactus or do a powerful mutant villain. On the other hand there's plenty comics material from Dr. Strange to GotG that can provide less known but great big bad. I wonder what Feige cooks in his kitchen.
If they intend to do an overarching villain again, it kinda has to be someone from the pre-Fox era, right? I'm assuming that the plans for the next phase were finished way before the deal.

Reactions: Rosenkrantz

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
If they intend to do an overarching villain again, it kinda has to be someone from the pre-Fox era, right? I'm assuming that the plans for the next phase were finished way before the deal.
Assuming Feige didn't plan for X-Men and F4 inclusion, I guess it has to be someone available before the deal. There're plenty of characters who can take the role, hell, the new crossover has Malekith owning entire Marvel universe, and he's already dead in the MCU.

OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Assuming Feige didn't plan for X-Men and F4 inclusion, I guess it has to be someone available before the deal. There're plenty of characters who can take the role, hell, the new crossover has Malekith owning entire Marvel universe, and he's already dead in the MCU.
I hope that they eventually follow a thread from Endgame.

Tampering with time should have some consequences, maybe through an intervention from one of Marvel's cosmic entities. Mordo in Dr Strange said that the bill always comes due, that has to be a setup for future films.

Reactions: Rosenkrantz

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I hope that they eventually follow a thread from Endgame.

Tampering with time should have some consequences, maybe through an intervention from one of Marvel's cosmic entities. Mordo in Dr Strange said that the bill always comes due, that has to be a setup for future films.
Well, I haven't seen the film yet, but from what I gather from spoilers:
Loki from 2012 is alive and ended up with the Tesseract in his hands, that means that they can theoretically build the conflict from this point, but it'll be pretty tough to pull off,