|OT| The official Marvel Cinematic Universe thread!

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Let's just say that the comics already revealed the direction they will likely go:
And, their comic sales have hit the lowest of the low, comic stores are closing their doors due to the extremely low sales, and, now, there's the recent flurry over the possibility of Marvel Comics shuting down with all "official" sources just dancing around the question (No one has outright said "No, it isn't happening").

Evans and RDJ already said their good byes and they're NOT coming back.
I mean Endgame also shows how Cap will be handled (and Hemsworth wants to stick around so Thor is fine for now, thor4 - p90x in valhalla incoming), but if Sam and whoever replaces RDJ fail to capture the same audience, there is going to be trouble. Fans might not like having the names attached to different characters and a resurrection/cameo will just poison the well further. I really do see Endgame as the peak before a fall off.

As for Hulk, I prefer Ang Lee's Hulk to the MCU/Ed Norton version, though I do enjoy Ruffalo's take and where he's gone in the actual mcu.

Milena

Slow Player
Jan 4, 2019
I've given up on finding time for Cloak & Dagger and the Netflix shows that I haven't seen. I don't think I'll ever watch Runaways, here it's on a service I'll never use.
I love Agents of Shield, though! Almost finished watching season 5 :cat-pizza-blob:

Reactions: Rosenkrantz

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I tried to watch Runaways not so long ago and thought it was boring as hell. Kids aren't sympathetic, the dialogue is, I don't know, tries to be realistic, but feels clunky instead (at least to me, and I could be wrong, not a native speaker), bland cinematography (yeah, yeah, I know it's a basic complaint about the entirety of MCU, but Runaways does look like they didn't even bother with lighting) and the editing reminds me of mockumentaries. Just not an enjoyable watch.

Reactions: Milena

Firewithin

Dec 19, 2018
I tried to watch Runaways not so long ago and thought it was boring as hell. Kids aren't sympathetic, the dialogue is, I don't know, tries to be realistic, but feels clunky instead (at least to me, and I could be wrong, not a native speaker), bland cinematography (yeah, yeah, I know it's a basic complaint about the entirety of MCU, but Runaways does look like they didn't even bother with lighting) and the editing reminds me of mockumentaries. Just not an enjoyable watch.
i liked the first season but the second season (while still decent) leaned to heavy into the typical teen drama bullshit.

Reactions: Rosenkrantz
OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
I did enjoy The Incredible Hulk. It could have been better but it's still a fun watch. No MCU film is objectively bad.

Transdude1996

Apr 30, 2019
but at least it wasn't to change the past
Steve going back in time to retire with his waifu is NOT changing the past?

What's so bad about it?
The biggest problem with Dark World stems from the fact that the film is nothing special in any regards what so ever. A lot of stuff just happens, and the film ends up really average. However, I don't rememder it being that bad. Actually remember liking it.

Now, Ragnarok, THAT was a terrible film.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Honestly, on my first watch, I kinda disliked it too. It felt a lot like an episode of an HBO comedy like Flight of the Concords or Tenacious D. but with Thor and Hulk in it. It took a couple more watches before I came around. Mark Mothersbaugh soundtrack though, on point

Last edited:

Transdude1996

Apr 30, 2019
Honestly, on my first watch, I kinda disliked it too. It felt a lot like an episode of an HBO comedy like Flight of the Concords or Tenacious D. but with Thor and Hulk in it. It took a couple more watches before I came around. Mark Mothersbaugh soundtrack though, on point
I disliked the film because of aspects of it such as, but not limited to, "Hey, you know how Bruce is having an identity crisis where he's afraid that he'll cease to be if he turns into the Hulk again? Yeah, let's completely ignore that and have his character 'die' in the most 'humorous' way possible." And, "Hey, you know how Thor is basically a masculine Nordic DnD character dropped into the modern world? Yeah, let's change that make himself self-aware and the possible head of a boy band." And, "Hey, you know how Thor had a pack of friends that include Xena, Asian Robin Hood, and the oversized dwarf? Yeah, let's kill them off in the most anti-climatic way possible and introduce this new cool 'Valkyrie' character that I just created." And, "Let's also make her Thor's girlfriend. Oh, he already has one? Well, let's have him dump her, off screen, and dismiss it with one line about how 'Things weren't working out.'" And, the sudo-80s production were everything is synth, neon, and 1 or 2 popular songs from that era.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I disliked the film because of aspects of it such as, but not limited to, "Hey, you know how Bruce is having an identity crisis where he's afraid that he'll cease to be if he turns into the Hulk again? Yeah, let's completely ignore that and have his character 'die' in the most 'humorous' way possible." And, "Hey, you know how Thor is basically a masculine Nordic DnD character dropped into the modern world? Yeah, let's change that make himself self-aware and the possible head of a boy band." And, "Hey, you know how Thor had a pack of friends that include Xena, Asian Robin Hood, and the oversized dwarf? Yeah, let's kill them off in the most anti-climatic way possible and introduce this new cool 'Valkyrie' character that I just created." And, "Let's also make her Thor's girlfriend. Oh, he already has one? Well, let's have him dump her, off screen, and dismiss it with one line about how 'Things weren't working out.'" And, the sudo-80s production were everything is synth, neon, and 1 or 2 popular songs from that era.
I never did understand why they went with the 80s aesthetic with Thor Ragnarok. I mean, it was likely a reaction to GotG making bank, but Thor is the one character where they can legitimately explorer a known visual style and not have it come off as something tacked on. Liked the soundtrack as I said, but the 80s vibe contrasting with the actual story was part of the reason I was put off my first time.

guek

Mar 22, 2019
I don't think you have a very good understanding of the character, which honestly isn't your fault if you're just going off the movies. Thor is a lot more than just fish out of water story or a fantasy archetype. Ragnarok took ample inspiration for its aesthetic from Jack Kirby's run on the character. Also, Immigrant Song is the only pop song in the movie and it's from the 70s, and Valkyrie is not an original character for the movies :p

None of that means you had to like it but some of your purist complaints are misguided.