|OT| The Outer Worlds | New Vegas In Space

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I've only played for a few hours before my PC gone down for repair yesterday.

Generally, it's everything I expected from a New Vegas spiritual successor. I love everything about the game, the characters, skills, explorations, etc. However, I'm not really a fan of the combat, and the fact that the game is very combat heavy compared to New Vegas. Most of the moving things outide the towns are your enemies. NV veterans should know what I'm talking about.

I'm now at my mother in law until Monday though, so no games for me until then. :cryingwhyblob:

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I've only played for a few hours before my PC gone down for repair yesterday.

Generally, it's everything I expected from a New Vegas spiritual successor. I love everything about the game, the characters, skills, explorations, etc. However, I'm not really a fan of the combat, and the fact that the game is very combat heavy compared to New Vegas. Most of the moving things outide the towns are your enemies. NV veterans should know what I'm talking about.

I'm now at my mother in law until Monday though, so no games for me until then. :cryingwhyblob:
The first location leans a bit too heavily on combat, I agree (that being said, there are substantial npc interactions in the two settlements). The second location is a sprawling city type area that will probably deliver what you expect as a New Vegas fan, though!

z1ggy

No Anime
Apr 17, 2019
Played it a few hours and loving it. Classic Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Just played for am hour and it really feels like New Vegas in space. The game even crashed while I was playing! lol

Yeah, that's what I did. $1 for Outer Worlds on launch day takes the sting out of EGS for me. I'll most definitely grab it on Steam down the line.
I'll definitely get it on Steam once it's released there, plus I can't wait to see what mods we will get down the line.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I cannot believe I am playing this game for $5.

It's beautiful. Basically Fallout without he Bethsesda jank and ancient engine.

Not as open world yet though. Nor have I encountered a story bit. Just errand running. Waiting for the game to "open up."

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
So yeah, it's not as combat focused as the first zone would make you think. Depends on lot on where you are. And as usual, you can avoid a ton of combat with the right dialogue options.
And in general, it hits a sweet spot of very modest zones with high content density for me, but it sure isn't the usual open world. And it's actually pretty far from even New Vegas, as there are very few self contained quests to fill up the map, it's more hub based and decently interconnected... but it does feel a bit gamey when you have two quests objectives 50 apart from another, you kinda feel the "do not let the player get bored, do not let the player get bored" mantra ongoing.

Surprisingly polished too, outside of the dubious technical decisions (it's chromatic aberration, the video game)... I already talked about the really nice UI (though you can't follow more than one quest), but it's also a surprisingly bug free experience. I had one monster stuck in a wall, and that's it.
Especially considering the nice performance on my old ass 970, it's quite remarkable how well it plays for a Bethesidian game.

Reactions: teezzy

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
So yeah, it's not as combat focused as the first zone would make you think. Depends on lot on where you are. And as usual, you can avoid a ton of combat with the right dialogue options.
And in general, it hits a sweet spot of very modest zones with high content density for me, but it sure isn't the usual open world. And it's actually pretty far from even New Vegas, as there are very few self contained quests to fill up the map, it's more hub based and decently interconnected... but it does feel a bit gamey when you have two quests objectives 50 apart from another, you kinda feel the "do not let the player get bored, do not let the player get bored" mantra ongoing.

Surprisingly polished too, outside of the dubious technical decisions (it's chromatic aberration, the video game)... I already talked about the really nice UI (though you can't follow more than one quest), but it's also a surprisingly bug free experience. I had one monster stuck in a wall, and that's it.
Especially considering the nice performance on my old ass 970, it's quite remarkable how well it plays for a Bethesidian game.
That last part is what I meant by WITHOUT THE JANK. Bethesda has essentially used the same engine since the PS3/60 days. It's gross.

I sense the "don't let the player get bored" aspect.

I just got off the first planet. Away we go!

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
At wal mart auto center waiting on new tires; jonesing to get back and play Outer Worlds.

Haven't had a game properly sink its claws in me like this since Deus Ex Human Revolution.

I'm not as versed on games as many here, but this one I like. :)

Was trying to play RDR 2 prior and got stumped waiting for dumb deer during the hunting tutorial.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018

Just watched this, gotta agree with Mack, the colour pallete and look of the world is awful, really offputting.

Looks like it needs a The Queen shade :steam_pigblanket:

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I have about 5 hours into the game and it hasn't grabbed me at all. I've mentioned in discord but it seems like every time I play I start getting drowsy within an hour, there's just nothing really interesting going on in this first area. Please tell me this starter area doesn't represent a huge percentage of the game.

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019
Game's art direction looks gorgeous. Suits the adventure well. It's Firefly with trippy colors.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Honestly, I miss humor. It has some of it, but it isn't hitting a lot of chords in me. The art is great but the palette is off-putting at times. Also disabled CA in the ini. I also miss crazy weird perks/skills =/ Also a lot of names trigger me as I swear I seen them in fallout, like the name Abernathy lol.

I hear the second area is less combat focused, as right now everything seems to be combat and I don't feel like its a strong suit.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I have about 5 hours into the game and it hasn't grabbed me at all. I've mentioned in discord but it seems like every time I play I start getting drowsy within an hour, there's just nothing really interesting going on in this first area. Please tell me this starter area doesn't represent a huge percentage of the game.
I get sleepy too, Was wondering if it was the game or me.

Last edited:

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
It almost seems like everyone has a good time with the game but me.

I feel kind of deceived by the people saying "It has more focus! The areas are smaller!" because after a while that has become untrue. After a while it adds up and you still have the same down time as if it were a one big map. Doesn't help that I am in a large map currently that is again combat focused which is where the game is at its worst imo. I am running a handgun build but it feels like if you're not mowing stuff down with a machine gun. I kinda miss a VATS for that honestly but that is a me problem.
Also not a fan of the loot system. I find lots of stuff that is 7 levels below my level annd have to invest into bringing it up to my level. Which is expensive. And kind of frustrating for unique weapons. At least for them I would've prefered to make them attribute dependent even if that meant I couldn't use it for a bit.

The companions are so and so. I like them as characters. They are pretty diverse in personality and not everyone is some kind of super-soldier-asssassin-scientist like in Mass Effect. In combat they are a bit underwhelming. Damage output is okay. The thing that is bugging me the most are their special abilties. They don't feel as usefull and you have to see the same 5 second sequence everytime. I guess I am missing the Boon of the game and I have every companion now. At least all spots are used up now for me.

Visually I like the use of bright colors but at times you see that the game was done on a budget. Personally I don't have a problem with asset reuse. The stuff I am talking about is more the layout of stuff. Though one could argue that that plays into the ultracapitalism aspect of the game because lots of cheaply made stuff that is easy to produce. The other problems I have come from UE4 of which the look I never really liked unless heavily modified.

Writing is okay. I find myself flying over text. But it is unfair to expect every game to be as good as Disco Elysium in this regard. Lots of good stuff , lots of mundane stuff. So far I am missing some kind of... something. Maybe it gets better later and I want to believe but I am not holding out hope.

So yeah, that is it from me for now. I will probably finish it just to see it through and maybe my mind will change. Because there are moments where I enjoy the game. The second area you get to Groundbreaker was fantastic because it was not combat focused. Maybe only two or three short ones. That was one of these dense areas I was promised and the premise was much more interesting than that of the first one. There are also moments where I start the game go: "You know what? This isn't as I bad as when I closed it the last time" which then devolve into: "This kind of sucks" a while later. Mostly because the game offers me combat encouter after combat encounter.

Reactions: teezzy and lashman

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019
My only real problem with Outer Worlds is the minuscule ass text

Anoregon

Dec 21, 2018
I ended up playing this for a few hours over the weekend, I'm really enjoying it. Just running around as a sort of generic sci-fi rogue type focusing on guns, dialogue, and mixing in some science skills. I like shooting plasma guns.

ScreamingTrees

Dec 12, 2018
Was looking forward to playing this game, have the week off work so got some time. Loaded up the game and they have hardcoded some of the key bindings :mad: I'm left handed and use OKL; instead of WASD but I can't rebind most of the keys on the right side of the keyboard. Argh. Have seen a few posts on reddit about it too. Bizarre that they choose to do that with some of they keys.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
20 hours in and my biggest worry is that I'm getting close to the end! What a great game.

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
Really not far in the game just hit level 5 and finished the (side) quest on the landing pad.

Question:
[Hidden content]
You have to make a choice, either to benefit one group or the other. Whichever one you don't choose will be pretty screwed. Part of the quest will fail but you can still proceed.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I'm something like 8 hours into it (probably, I can't tell) and I'm enjoying it.

One thing that confuses me is why people compare it to Fallout so much. I'd argue it plays a lot more like Mass Effect than a (Bethesda-style 3D) Fallout game.

Was looking forward to playing this game, have the week off work so got some time. Loaded up the game and they have hardcoded some of the key bindings :mad: I'm left handed and use OKL; instead of WASD but I can't rebind most of the keys on the right side of the keyboard. Argh. Have seen a few posts on reddit about it too. Bizarre that they choose to do that with some of they keys.
Yeah that's really strange. I have no idea why you'd do that. Just make all the keys normal UE4 bindings and they'll work the same...

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Finished the game and really disappointed by it, if someone is interested can check the 2019 Games beaten thread but yeah, I expected lot more thanks to the hype.

Anoregon

Dec 21, 2018
I ended up taking an unexpected detour to help one of my companions with their fledgling relationship issues. I took them out drinking and told them to loosen the fuck up and everything worked out. I am captain of the year.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
So yeah, they need to work on the balance for a bit, right?
Even in hard mode, it's absurdly easy, to the point where I can just unleash my companions on ennemies and just loot stuff. It'll be clean at the end most of time. Except in more difficult encounters, especially when hitting weak points is much needed (like robots).
But then, I can fight too!
In an open field, that means 2.5sec battles.
Sneak crit the biggest enemy, slow down time to finish off most of the rest. And I willingly limited my allocation of points in weapon damage...

Well, I guess it is an Obsidian game after all.

And I second the feel of the game... that's it's not remotely close to New Vegas.
It feels more like KotOR, and other 3D RPGs from that era.
Which I don't mind too much, considering it has all the QOL fixed, like fast travel. But it also forsake the more open ended design for a more "episodic" format with an overarching plot (and don't forget your end goal, because you can screw yourself quite a bit if you're not consistant in your demeanor)... it's different, very different.

And hey, I found the world of New Vegas to be absolute trash, a flat uninteresting wasteland filled with invisible walls, awful factions with zero good quests, and nothing more than a fetch quest grinder with copy/pasted dungeons to rack up play time.
Not going to complain, Fallout 3 was a better open world game than it was.
But New Vegas also had the Strip, and that's definitely not in The Outer Worlds... the calmer levels are pretty good, but it's just not the same. And that could be the biggest problem as "it's just not the same" is harder to fix with time and money than the combat jankiness or some lackluster companions.

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
The scope and the feel of the game actually feels closest to Vampire: Bloodlines to me. Might be because I just played that game last month though, but it does have the Cain/Boyarski pedigree in common.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I finished it this weekend.

A little Mass Effect, a LOT of Fallout. Better than Fallout 4, but not quite New Vegas in terms of endgame buildup and options. There are six companions but only two are really interesting, and one of those didn't fulfill the promise the game set them up to fulfill.

8.0 IMO

Reactions: Spamlynguist