|OT| The PC Hardware Thread -- Buy/Upgrade/Ask/Answer

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Installed my soundcard.

Good job red was already my colour scheme because there's a red LED on this thing. :steam_pig_deadpan:

That LED is the thing I hate about that card, as I don't have any other RGB and it really stands out when I have to open my case up

knch

Sep 23, 2019
What sound box specifically?

I used to be a bit fussy about soundcards but after my recent one broke couple of years ago I haven't gotten a new one, just been using the integrated which is fine enough but I'm always curious what others are using.
An original Schiit Modi at work and Schiit Bifrost at home. No complaints other than the Bifrost takes a little while to actually enable after it's powered on.

Reactions: Parsnip

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Currently I have:
i5-6600k(not overclocked cause I am dumb)
16GB of RAM
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB GAMING X Video Card

So, I think it's time to upgrade my video card and I am horrible at figuring out what to buy. I have a gsync monitor so Nvidia is what I'm going to want and I'm not really interested in spending more than $600CAD. Was looking at EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 Super SC Ultra Gaming. Is that a good option? Should I wait for something else?

ISee

Oh NO!
Mar 1, 2019
Currently I have:
i5-6600k(not overclocked cause I am dumb)
16GB of RAM
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB GAMING X Video Card

So, I think it's time to upgrade my video card and I am horrible at figuring out what to buy. I have a gsync monitor so Nvidia is what I'm going to want and I'm not really interested in spending more than $600CAD. Was looking at EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 Super SC Ultra Gaming. Is that a good option? Should I wait for something else?
There are new GPUs coming this year. We have no specs, no prices, not even an ETA. Rumours are all over the place and not worth much currently. But it is reasonable to assume that they are going to be faster than current offerings.
My best guess: we'll have them in 5-8 months, but Nvidia is not really under pressure or in a hurry.

A 2060S is a good upgrade over a 1060. Chances are high that you'll start to run into CPU bottlenecks with that card though, especially if you plan to play above 60hz.

Still, focusing your budget on a new GPU is better than getting a new CPU now.

Should you wait? Idk, mainly depends on how unhappy you are with your performance right now.

Reactions: Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
There are new GPUs coming this year. We have no specs, no prices, not even an ETA. Rumours are all over the place and not worth much currently. But it is reasonable to assume that they are going to be faster than current offerings.
My best guess: we'll have them in 5-8 months, but Nvidia is not really under pressure or in a hurry.

A 2060S is a good upgrade over a 1060. Chances are high that you'll start to run into CPU bottlenecks with that card though, especially if you plan to play above 60hz.

Still, focusing your budget on a new GPU is better than getting a new CPU now.

Should you wait? Idk, mainly depends on how unhappy you are with your performance right now.
Thanks! I think I'll probably hold off for now then. At the moment, there is no real urgency - I don't think there's anything coming out in the short term that will drive me to upgrade. Might as well start setting aside some money for a new CPU/motherboard and do it all at once.

Reactions: ISee

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Well, I used to use a Xonar U7 (for many years)... until it just broke.
That's the one I had as well. :)

Also confirmed that this "fix" worked for my problem with it but obviously not a very permanent solution. :weary-face:

They have since released a mkII of the thing but I don't think I trust it since they never really acknowledged the issue in the first place.
Also the drivers for Win10 were shitty for a long time, no idea if that's still the case though.

It's a shame too, I really liked its sound and the price wasn't too bad either.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
What sound box specifically?

I used to be a bit fussy about soundcards but after my recent one broke couple of years ago I haven't gotten a new one, just been using the integrated which is fine enough but I'm always curious what others are using.
Used to have Fiio E10K for many years before changing it to a Topping D30 +A30 combo last year. Nothing wrong with the fiio sound quality wise, it's just that my current headphone (ATH-R70x) needs a bit more power than the fiio can give.

My setup now is Topping D30 +A30 combo for my headphone and stereo speakers and my onboard audio (Realtek 1220) for my 5,1 surround speakers.

Before that i use a creative x-fi titanium fatal1ty for my surround speakers but after upgrading from z77 to z390, onboard audo has come a long way it seem.

And the quality is close enough to my x-fi. So now i just kept the x-fi as a backup. Less hassle on drivers and game compatibility as well..

Reactions: Parsnip

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
What's the go-to 2070 super ?
This is a jungle of choices just for one card.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
AFAIK, like most of the time, the differences are rather negligible. I'd first check if you have any sizing constraints (length, 2/3 slot, etc.), then see what you can get for a good price that fits the constraints, and finally look up reviews of that specific model to see if there's something wrong with it before buying.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
What's the go-to 2070 super ?
This is a jungle of choices just for one card.
Sort by lowest price, read the reviews, I usually pick the one with pretty low temperature and noise on load. (Under 73c and 40 dBA on load). Guru3d, techpowerup, kitguru have comprehensive gpu reviews if you want to check them out.

Pricing is of course varied based on region but I found Palit and Galax to have the best price/performance/thermals in my region. If it's the same case in your region, Palit GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER JetStream review looks like a winner.

Reactions: Li Kao

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
Just as a warning: there is both a "(2070 Super) JetStream" and a "2070 (Super JetStream)" but afaik they haven't made a 2070 Super Super Jetstream ;)

Nothing but good things to say about my 1070 Super Jetstream for whatever that is worth.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Sorry to come back with my usual indecisiveness, but I'm still brain(?)storming my next upgrade.
As much as I hate to admit it, I'm not totally immune to hype, Alyx is coming, ffs.

So I need a powerful GPU and a VR headset. Free, please :so-good-blob:
I'm eyeing a combo of 2070 super and Rift S (I know of a shop that still stock them). But it's not cheap, so I will surely have to upgrade step by step, and even then that Nvidia pricing is rough to swallow.
Knowing that a new line is coming doesn't help.

Ascheroth

Writing in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
My monitor shows a grey screen after I turned on my PC yesterday after coming home. How fucked am I?
Worked just fine the day before.
I already tried driver reinstalls, changing the port on the graphics card and even using a different cable (HDMI instead of DP), but no dice.
Is there anything else I haven't tried or will I need to send it back and get a replacement? (It's 2 months old, so warranty should cover it anyway at least)

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
MSI RTX 2060 Super Gaming X will be mine tomorrow.
I hope I didn't make a mistake, I would have liked to opt for the 2070 but it was just too rich for my blood, and I will still be on 1080p for some times anyways.

Dec 5, 2018
I've been asked for a recommendation for a build (mostly CPU+MOBO+RAM+GPU(if needed)).

It will be used mostly of office work and some image/audio editing. I was thinking of recommending a Ryzen 3400G or an i3 9100 but I'm not really sure what to recomend.

ISee

Oh NO!
Mar 1, 2019
I've been asked for a recommendation for a build (mostly CPU+MOBO+RAM+GPU(if needed)).

It will be used mostly of office work and some image/audio editing. I was thinking of recommending a Ryzen 3400G or an i3 9100 but I'm not really sure what to recomend.
There shouldn't be too much of a "CPU" performance difference between both. The 3400G has the better on board graphics though, so that should save you some money.
That said, a 4 core CPU might not be the best option, dependent on how relevant that editing scenario is. An "old", but new 2700 or 2700x with eight cores and 16 threads might be the better budget option. But you'll need a dedicated GPU with that.

For the rest: A half descent B450 board (MSI tomahawk b450 max?), 2x4GB of DDR4 3000-3200MHz ram (or better 2x8; image editing can eat RAM), 500W PSU with bronze certification, 512GB-1TB SDD and you are set.

Dec 5, 2018
There shouldn't be too much of a "CPU" performance difference between both. The 3400G has the better on board graphics though, so that should save you some money.
That said, a 4 core CPU might not be the best option, dependent on how relevant that editing scenario is. An "old", but new 2700 or 2700x with eight cores and 16 threads might be the better budget option. But you'll need a dedicated GPU with that.

For the rest: A half descent B450 board (MSI tomahawk b450 max?), 2x4GB of DDR4 3000-3200MHz ram (or better 2x8; image editing can eat RAM), 500W PSU with bronze certification, 512GB-1TB SDD and you are set.
I originally was tempted to recommed a 3600/X or a 2700/X, but the fact that i needed to add a GPU (even if it was a low end one, any recommendation in this front?) was making me doubt.

Still i'll ask him how much he's willing to spend and then go with one option or the other.

knch

Sep 23, 2019
I originally was tempted to recommed a 3600/X or a 2700/X, but the fact that i needed to add a GPU (even if it was a low end one, any recommendation in this front?) was making me doubt.

Still i'll ask him how much he's willing to spend and then go with one option or the other.
Nvidia 16-something, AMD 5000-something, or something from the previous gens, or the very bottom of whatever price aggregator is applicable in your area if you really want to save all of the money for the other parts.

ISee

Oh NO!
Mar 1, 2019
any recommendation in this front?
In general what knch said, but hard to specify without more information.
Personally I'd consider a RX 570 4GB card for that scenario. A rather low end card, but worth a look if price is very relevant.

R5 3400G is ~180€ over here.

R7 2700 (non X) is ~ 145€
RX 570 with 4GB ~ 130€

That would be 95€ more expansive assuming mainboard, ram, SSD, case and PSU stay the same.
But you'd get a significant jump both in CPU and GPU performance. Is it needed? I don't know and your regional prices may be different.

Reactions: curi0usBystander
Dec 5, 2018
In general what knch said, but hard to specify without more information.
Personally I'd consider a RX 570 4GB card for that scenario. A rather low end card, but worth a look if price is very relevant.

R5 3400G is ~180€ over here.

R7 2700 (non X) is ~ 145€
RX 570 with 4GB ~ 130€

That would be 95€ more expansive assuming mainboard, ram, SSD, case and PSU stay the same.
But you'd get a significant jump both in CPU and GPU performance. Is it needed? I don't know and your regional prices may be different.
He seems open to the idea of a 2700 (or a 3600).
So I'm looking for GPUs if we can find a RX570 on the cheap he might get it. And if not I'll try to find a RX 560/1050.

Monooboe

Vagabond Perv Photographer
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
www.fancierlust.com
I'm trying to figure out just how I can build a PC again. I have very little money each month to work with at the moment so one option would be to just save but I'm bad at that, so I was thinking maybe get parts, something small every month and slowly build my PC and for the more expensive parts I would have to save.

Here's my thinking on things to get first.

Things I could use already:
Mouse (already have)
Keyboard
Monitor
SSD (with a dock for external storage that I can put into a PC later.)
DAC (not a huge necessity but mostly because I want one.:D)

Things that I can get that don't get old too fast:
The case (going for ITX)
PSU

Fresh things that get old fast and best to get new:
Motherboard
Processor
RAM
NVMe
GPU

In what ways could I do this? Also I could look for second hand, buys stuff when they are on sale and or at historical low. Also with everything going on in the world I can imagine prices are going to be high.

I'm seeing this a long form project, like how people used to restore and fix up old cars haha. Once it's finished I will treasure it so much more.:D

ISee

Oh NO!
Mar 1, 2019
If you ask me, replace what needs to be replaced (monitor, mouse, drives, etc).
For the rest: safe money untill you can buy everything at once.
Old cars are charming, because they are old.
Old hardware is also charming, but obsolete.

Reactions: C-Dub and Monooboe

knch

Sep 23, 2019
Soooo, I don't have a clue about monitors in general but I want to get a 144Hz one and can't think of too many reasons to stay on 1080p so here's the question - is this a good model/deal?

e: Not sure what's going on with the link, maybe now: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-S2716DG-Anti-Glare-LED-backlit-Response/dp/B01784K78A

e2: welp, the 44% discount is gone already anyway.
The snob in my scoffs at you even considering associating a TN panel with the word good in any way. (Only have experience with Dell's IPS displays, which are great.)