|OT| The PC Hardware Thread -- Buy/Upgrade/Ask/Answer

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Ok, thanks everyone. It's pretty much what I figured -- PC hardware is mostly an eaten cost. I don't know anyone who would be even remotely interested in buying or even taking my card, so eBay is probably the best bet even if risky. My card is an EVGA, so maybe that will help if I end up putting it on craigslist or something. But yeah, it all depends on what the new cards are offering. The 1080ti has been a dream, so I'm not super excited to upgrade. But it's not getting any younger ...
I have a 1070, so imagine that.

Reactions: ISee

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
1080ti still performs like a champ when compared to a lot of the 20 series so that card actually has actually been holding value relatively well.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
I put all my old cards back in their box and that's where they live.
Maybe they'll be collector's items one day :blobmorning2:

Involution

Aug 24, 2020
Hi all,

For the past little while playing on PC I've been buying gaming laptops, but at this point I'm looking to put together a PC on my own. Seeing as how my last PC build was so long ago I was looking to start over from scratch. I'm planning on getting the upcoming zen/gtx models (like everyone else I imagine) and so I put this preliminary list together:

Could I get some input as to what's good or should be changed? If there's any red flags on anything I chose there? Or just any recommendations in general. I'm already up to $1100cdn on that list somehow.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Involution No comments at the moment but some things for you to keep in mind/check out. These are all things that have bitten me in the past so i'm trying to spare the pain :)

What size GFX card does that case support? Have a look at other builds and see what cards they use, have a look at the manufacturers site as they will have max dimensions for components the case will support. I had to buy "smaller" GTX/RTX cards due to my old Fractal Design case which limited what cards i could look at.

What dimension CPU cooler does the case support? My current case didn't support my Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler ( The cooler is 8mm too tall) so i had to use the Stock Wraith RGB until i could get an AIO water cooler setup and even then i had to double check the dimensions to make sure they fit.

Will that cooler support the upcoming/newer CPUs? Another thing with CPU coolers is to try to find builds with your motherboard as some coolers will not fit due to components being in the way of the heat-pipes etc.

I'd also look at getting another fan for the back of the case too because why not?

I'm not trying to be doom and gloom as building your own machine is awesome. Just double check stuff will probably fit before you get it :D

Another thing, an OEM Windows 10 key shouldn't cost you $110+. You can get them cheaper. I'm in the UK so i've no idea where would be good for you but i get my W10 Pro 64bit OEM keys for around £20. If you go changing too many components you'll have to phone Microsoft but tbh, it's never happened to me.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Hi all,

For the past little while playing on PC I've been buying gaming laptops, but at this point I'm looking to put together a PC on my own. Seeing as how my last PC build was so long ago I was looking to start over from scratch. I'm planning on getting the upcoming zen/gtx models (like everyone else I imagine) and so I put this preliminary list together:

Could I get some input as to what's good or should be changed? If there's any red flags on anything I chose there? Or just any recommendations in general. I'm already up to $1100cdn on that list somehow.
I doubt that cpu cooler is better than the stock cooler you get from Ryzen, so I would suggest either upgrading that or remove it from your list.

I would also change your PSU maybe to this? https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/jWFXsY/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-850w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-850fx
More reputable, slightly cheaper, 10 years warranty, hybrid mode fan (Fan don't start spinning until the psu is on load) and judging from the leaks, maybe you'll need that 850W if you bought a 3090, maybe.

Case is pretty decent if you really need that blu-ray. CPU cooler is up to 165mm so most cpu cooler will fit. and no problem for gpu length as well.

If you don't mind buying windows 10 via cd key sellers, you can save a ton of money that way as well.

Last edited:

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
When do we think 3000 series will be up for pre-order? Day of announcement? Never done this with a GPU before.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
No idea. I'll probably wait for the 3rd party boards and prices before deciding. I reckon my 2070 will last me a good while yet so aside from "Shiny new things" i'm not really in any rush. I do have money saved for some new kit tho...

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Okay, one of my WD Passport drives is totally on it's way out and i want to reformat it but i want to copy what data i can from it before i do. Windows just gets hung up reporting bad blocks when i try to copy some files. Is there a decent, preferably free, data copying tool i can use to copy "Good" files onto another disk that won't get all upset and spend 45 minutes cancelling a file copy?

edit:
Thanks, it's a 4tb WD Passport drive i was using for Steam Backups and general files. Now it's got creeping death and if i try to copy too much windows gives up and i get a BSOD which always helps. I've remembered i have Unstoppable Copier/TeraCopy and a couple of other utils due to work so i'll give them a whirl. It's nothing too important but it is a couple hundred gigs of data i'd rather not have to redo.

Wow, windows is REALLY unhappy about me wanting to restart because it can't cancel a file copy operation. :mad:

edit: and now it knows i have tools to try to copy the data it's totally died and explorer won't recognise it at all. sigh

Last edited:

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
Pictures (renders) of the Zotac 30xx cards leaked:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I want to see prices and benchmarks, hurryup hurryup hurryup hurryup hurryup!

The continuing Saga of the Deed Drive: TestDisk 7.2 is currently scanning for partition data... slowly, but it's scanning.

It's payday, i'm moody, i remembered i need a new V2 Hue Hub for my lights because V1 is being retired soon and ended up getting a V2 Hue Hub and the Corsair LS100 Starter Kit so i can get my funky monitor lighting back again too.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
RTX 3090, here I come! I knew my 1000W PSU would come in handy some day. No, not really.

Do you think PCIE 4.0 will be important here?

Last edited:
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I wrote a silly long somewhat rambly message on r/hardware that might interest the nerdiest amongst you:

(it's 4 am here so I might be full of shit :p)

Edit: the bullet point formatting of the orignal post is broken in the embed here, at least for me, so it's better to click the link to read it.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018

Game not included. GG, Intel.
This is like when Superman was on a cereal box and the toy inside was completely unrelated. The thing is, I get the utility of putting superheroes on cereal boxes - it lures the kids in and gets them to pester their parents to buy that brand of cereal. I don't think we'll be seeing many people buying an Intel CPU because Iron Man is printed on the box.

Reactions: ISee and Li Kao

didamangi

Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
This is like when Superman was on a cereal box and the toy inside was completely unrelated. The thing is, I get the utility of putting superheroes on cereal boxes - it lures the kids in and gets them to pester their parents to buy that brand of cereal. I don't think we'll be seeing many people buying an Intel CPU because Iron Man is printed on the box.
Maybe these will make a return as well.

Darktalon

Jun 18, 2020
I wrote a silly long somewhat rambly message on r/hardware that might interest the nerdiest amongst you:

(it's 4 am here so I might be full of shit :p)

Edit: the bullet point formatting of the orignal post is broken in the embed here, at least for me, so it's better to click the link to read it.
Yup this is exactly the type of nerd I am, but I prefer enthusiast ;)

Also, 3090 has 82.5% more transistors than a 2080 Ti. Where did they all go? I really think we are getting something special here. NVIDIA didn't just get Micron to come up with custom super fast memory for no reason.

I cannot wait to read the white paper!

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
1080Ti2080Ti
Cores35844352 (+17%)
Effective Clock Speed~1900MHz~1900MHz
Memory11 GB GDDR5x11GB GDDR6
Bandwidth484.4 GB/s616 GB/s (+27%)
Death Stranding 4k [FPS]52.570.3 (+34%)
HZD 4k [FPS]29.840.1 (+35%)
The Division 2 4k [FPS]45.268.4 (+51%)
Doom Eternal 4k (FPS]70104.8 (+50%)
Jedi Fallen Order 4k [FPS]51.868.5 (+32%)
Gears 5 4k [FPS]57.774.3 (+29%)
Anthem 4k [FPS]36.754.3 (+48%)
Sekiro 4k [FPS]6982.6 (+20%)
Borderlands 3 4k [FPS]33.443.7 (+31%)
CoD 4k 201947.671.9 (+51%)
Rage 2 4k [FPS]37.552.8 (+37%)
Resident Evil 3 4k [FPS]58.879.2 (+35%)
AC:Odyssey 4k [FPS]35.545.8 (+29%)

A 2080Ti is on average 37% faster than a 1080Ti, running at a similar clock, with just 27% more memory bandwidth and 17% more cores.
A 2080 has about 20% less cores than a 1080Ti, but is about as fast. Estimating a 20% IPC improvement from Pascal to Turing is reasonable enough.

Another 20% IPC increase from Turing to Ampere with a 3090 having 20% more cores: That's interesting, even with similar clock speeds.

Durante Noob question: Is total memory size also a factor in estimating memory bandwidth needs? 2080 has less cores, less memory and less bandwidth than a 1080Ti but is about as fast.

The game is not even included? Just additional skins?
LOL

Reactions: lashman and Li Kao
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
The 2080ti also significantly changed the SMs by including a separate INT path that can run at the same time FP32.
That's (a big part of) how they got the IPC improvement.

So the question is, how do they get a big IPC improvement in Ampere? And that makes the 2xFP32 rumour which I initially dismissed slightly more plausible (IMHO -- note that I'm still not at all sold on it).

Darktalon

Jun 18, 2020
The 2080ti also significantly changed the SMs by including a separate INT path that can run at the same time FP32.
That's (a big part of) how they got the IPC improvement.

So the question is, how do they get a big IPC improvement in Ampere? And that makes the 2xFP32 rumour which I initially dismissed slightly more plausible (IMHO -- note that I'm still not at all sold on it).
NVIDIA straight up claims 50% IPC improvement from Pascal to Turing SM in the Turing white paper. Maybe they manage it a large IPC increase again, but if I knew how, I guess they would be paying me, hah

Pommes

Jun 4, 2019
What I find interesting about the rumored cards from NVIDIA is the amount of RAM.
I have the suspicion that that NVIDIA is keeping a card with ~16GB RAM in their back pocket.
Nvidia could release it as a counter-program to the big card from AMD (which may also be a 16GB card).

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
What I find interesting about the rumored cards from NVIDIA is the amount of RAM.
I have the suspicion that that NVIDIA is keeping a card with ~16GB RAM in their back pocket.
Nvidia could release it as a counter-program to the big card from AMD (which may also be a 16GB card).
16 is hard to do with their current chips (they could do it on the 3070, but there it seems like overkill). I think a 20 GB 3080 version might be more likely in case they need it.

(People ask why they went all the way to 24 GB on the 3090, which is most certainly overkill -- the simple answer is that it's either that, or 12 GB. Anything in between would require a somewhat awkward 970-like setup)

Reactions: Pommes

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
16 is hard to do with their current chips (they could do it on the 3070, but there it seems like overkill). I think a 20 GB 3080 version might be more likely in case they need it.

(People ask why they went all the way to 24 GB on the 3090, which is most certainly overkill -- the simple answer is that it's either that, or 12 GB. Anything in between would require a somewhat awkward 970-like setup)
Is there a good bits + bandwidth math reason they couldn’t do 12 on the 3080?

I haven’t looked into any of the RAM specs on 3080 vs 3090...

Involution

Aug 24, 2020
Involution No comments at the moment but some things for you to keep in mind/check out. These are all things that have bitten me in the past so i'm trying to spare the pain :)

What size GFX card does that case support? Have a look at other builds and see what cards they use, have a look at the manufacturers site as they will have max dimensions for components the case will support. I had to buy "smaller" GTX/RTX cards due to my old Fractal Design case which limited what cards i could look at.

What dimension CPU cooler does the case support? My current case didn't support my Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler ( The cooler is 8mm too tall) so i had to use the Stock Wraith RGB until i could get an AIO water cooler setup and even then i had to double check the dimensions to make sure they fit.

Will that cooler support the upcoming/newer CPUs? Another thing with CPU coolers is to try to find builds with your motherboard as some coolers will not fit due to components being in the way of the heat-pipes etc.

I'd also look at getting another fan for the back of the case too because why not?

I'm not trying to be doom and gloom as building your own machine is awesome. Just double check stuff will probably fit before you get it :D

Another thing, an OEM Windows 10 key shouldn't cost you $110+. You can get them cheaper. I'm in the UK so i've no idea where would be good for you but i get my W10 Pro 64bit OEM keys for around £20. If you go changing too many components you'll have to phone Microsoft but tbh, it's never happened to me.
Thanks for your feedback! The case is a placeholder for now, at least till dimensions are ready. I'm not messing around with small form factors so I think I put in a semi decent full size tower. I'll keep your other points in mind while shopping around, especially the win10 keys.

I doubt that cpu cooler is better than the stock cooler you get from Ryzen, so I would suggest either upgrading that or remove it from your list.

I would also change your PSU maybe to this? https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/jWFXsY/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-850w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-850fx
More reputable, slightly cheaper, 10 years warranty, hybrid mode fan (Fan don't start spinning until the psu is on load) and judging from the leaks, maybe you'll need that 850W if you bought a 3090, maybe.

Case is pretty decent if you really need that blu-ray. CPU cooler is up to 165mm so most cpu cooler will fit. and no problem for gpu length as well.

If you don't mind buying windows 10 via cd key sellers, you can save a ton of money that way as well.
Are there any cooler recommendations you could make? I'll admit I never really looked closely at that before.

I think my ambitions would only take me to a 3080 at most lol. Is an 850w still what you'd recommend? I based my power supply pick based off the 2080 I think, but I'm not sure. That PSU does look good though.

Regarding the cd keys, I keep reading that the keys will eventually expire cause they're illegal? At least that's what keeps going around about the eBay keys. If nobody else here has any problems with them then maybe I'll just grab one off an online store instead of buying from a retailer like a chump.

Is there a better x570 board I should be looking out for as well? I'm not sure if the one I picked is a good one or not.

I appreciate the feedback from both of you, it's been helpful.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

didamangi

Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Are there any cooler recommendations you could make? I'll admit I never really looked closely at that before.

I think my ambitions would only take me to a 3080 at most lol. Is an 850w still what you'd recommend? I based my power supply pick based off the 2080 I think, but I'm not sure. That PSU does look good though.

Regarding the cd keys, I keep reading that the keys will eventually expire cause they're illegal? At least that's what keeps going around about the eBay keys. If nobody else here has any problems with them then maybe I'll just grab one off an online store instead of buying from a retailer like a chump.

Is there a better x570 board I should be looking out for as well? I'm not sure if the one I picked is a good one or not.

I appreciate the feedback from both of you, it's been helpful.
For air coolers if you're looking for the high end ones, noctua nhd15 or bequiet dark rock pro 4 is pretty much the best ones. For mid range I've heard and read good things about scythe fuma 2. make sure to check the height compatiblity of your case before buying one of the tower coolers though. should be listed in every case site.

Since the 3080 hasn't come out yet I can't say for certain but I'm willing to bet that a 850w PSU can handle it just fine.

From my experience the win 10 cd keys is usually an oem key, that means it'll be tied to your motherboard. As long as you don't change your mb it'll never expired. even then i've heard if you tied the key to your ms account, you can still recover the licence. CMIIW though.

For X570 recommendation:

Hardware Unboxed is a good source on youtube to poke around if you're looking to build a new system. As well as gamers nexus. (if you have the time to watch them)

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
FWIW, I've been buying 5-8€ OEM Win 10 keys for my PCs for years and never had an issue. I do only use 1 key per mainboard/CPU (I've changed GPU/RAM/storage without issues).

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Where do y'all find win10 keys that cheap? 😯
I'm still on my win 7 key from Uni. Been working great so far, even with windows 10 and I exchanged hardware several times now.
But whenever I need one I visit this site:

Pommes

Jun 4, 2019
Where do y'all find win10 keys that cheap? 😯
eBay
I read somewhere that these keys are e.g. Chinese keys or keys from a "mass license" (don't know the right word).

A colleague of mine had one of his keys revoked. He asked the seller about it and got a replacement key as an answer.

I have never heard of Microsoft going after someone who uses these keys privately.
Microsoft does not really seem interested in stamping down on these key sellers. It is probably a good way to keep up the market share of Windows.

Reactions: Copons
Dec 5, 2018
Microsoft doesn't care where you got a key for personal use, in fact you can keep using a windows without license the only thing you lose is the ability to customize the start menu and stuff like that (+ a Watermark) to which I say ¯\(ツ)/¯.

Now if you're a business is another world. I know of a few mid and big sized business where I live that had a bunch of unlicensed PCs and Servers and got visited by Microsoft, they agreed to buy more keys than they needed and everyone was happy.

Reactions: Pommes

didamangi

Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Microsoft doesn't care where you got a key for personal use, in fact you can keep using a windows without license the only thing you lose is the ability to customize the start menu and stuff like that (+ a Watermark) to which I say ¯\(ツ)/¯.
Hide yo watermark.

Change yo background

eBay
I read somewhere that these keys are e.g. Chinese keys or keys from a "mass license" (don't know the right word).

A colleague of mine had one of his keys revoked. He asked the seller about it and got a replacement key as an answer.

I have never heard of Microsoft going after someone who uses these keys privately.
Microsoft does not really seem interested in stamping down on these key sellers. It is probably a good way to keep up the market share of Windows.
Probably is some kind of mass license. Got mine for $2 on a local site.

Involution

Aug 24, 2020
I'm still on my win 7 key from Uni. Been working great so far, even with windows 10 and I exchanged hardware several times now.
But whenever I need one I visit this site:

This one looks pretty good. Thanks for everyone's info. I think in the end, saving 200 Canadian dollars would be much better than the risk of having maybe 1 or 2 bad discount codes.

Reactions: lashman and ISee

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com

So the Gainward 3080 requires 750W PSU minimum, which means I'm out of luck by 100W. :crying-face:
Hopefully the 3070 will be less power hungry, and hopefully be an upgrade over the 2080S.
I'm really not keen to already replace my new PSU. :disappointed-but-relieved-face:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
This one looks pretty good. Thanks for everyone's info. I think in the end, saving 200 Canadian dollars would be much better than the risk of having maybe 1 or 2 bad discount codes.
As long as you get the keys from reputable sites it's worth it. Even if i ended up having to buy a couple of keys over the years it would still work out way cheaper than a retail copy of Windows 10 Pro x64 and much cheaper than buying an OEM key from a hardware site.

Reactions: Involution

Pommes

Jun 4, 2019

So the Gainward 3080 requires 750W PSU minimum, which means I'm out of luck by 100W. :crying-face:
Hopefully the 3070 will be less power hungry, and hopefully be an upgrade over the 2080S.
I'm really not keen to already replace my new PSU. :disappointed-but-relieved-face:
Let's wait for the tests. Perhaps a good quality 650W power supply is enough?

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
If I need to replace my three-month old PSU on top of the ridiculous price I'll probably have to pay for the GPU here, I'll just sell my PC and go fishing. :confounded-face:

• Toucan
Reactions: Li Kao
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Purported "leak", take with unhealthy dose of salt:

May actually be real IMHO, it's right on the edge of possibilities (and the game selection would make a lot of sense from NV perspective).

Last edited:
Reactions: d00d3n

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I hope that a 750W PSU will be enough for the 3090 as well. It would be a bit of a downer to be forced to pay for a new PSU in addition to the presumably exorbitant price for the 3090.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Apparently the dose of salt was justified, being called out as fake by people who might know.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Twice the RTX performance sounds to good indeed.
That would basically mean that enabling Ray Tracing would be performance free (in current games).

Personally I just hope DLSS 3.0 (if there is a DLSS 3.0) isn't Ampere exclusive. Fracturing the DLSS base into 2.0 and 3.0 users instead of taking the chance to multiply the user foundation by keeping things together would be wrong imo. More users = more incentive to implement the tech, which is good for everybody (but AMD).
I also hope Tensor Cores make an addition to "GTX" 3000 series cards. Or even better: Make every tier RTX now.