|OT| The PC Hardware Thread -- Buy/Upgrade/Ask/Answer

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Take from my ass : I wouldn't rule out a Titan, there is a market for cards that cost several kidneys. If manufacturing this monster is possible, Nvidia will do it.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I think there will be a professional Titan card. 3090 is still not the entire uncut chip.
Yeah thats possible. The 3090 will most likely be the top end 'gaming' gpu but there may well be a Titan for all that other computer stuff.

Reactions: ISee

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I do smell shenanigans and gaps in the product range that look ripe for a "Super" revision to slot into and although Nvidia are saying that the 3090 IS the Titan this time around i really don't think they will resist putting out a 3090 Titan Edition for professionals and people with money.

They may just beef up the Quadro range though. Who knows?

I side-eye that 10GB for the 3080 every time though. Sure, it's enough for most people but i'm so used to 12 or 16 that 10 just looks iffy to me. lol.

Last edited:
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Yeah, 3080 seems absolutely impossible to get. I'd love to know how many they sold.

I hope 3090 isn't like that.

Reactions: Stevey

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
We're super busy at work getting ready for the start of term so i didn't get a chance to go looking and chasing down timely pre-orders.
If i'd had more idle time i may have weakened and gone chasing after the new shiny but like the PS5, i'll wait.

SkyStarblaze

Starlit Entity
Aug 20, 2020
What's the deal with Nvidia Reflex? Linus said it would be launching today too and works even with the 900 series, do I just need a driver-update?

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Ive managed to order a MSI geforce rtx 3080 trio from Overclockers which says should be in stock tomorrow. Whether im anywhere near the top of the list is another question. Probably not.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Tried to get a 3080 from Nvidias site. Went immediately from Notify me to out of stock.

And they didnt even notify me!
Did Nvidia.de even have any stock? It went from Notify Me at ~14:59:50 to out of stock at 15:00:00 immediately for me.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I got my Nvidia email notification 30 minutes ago. lol. Why bother? ha.
Every hardware site i had a look at in the UK over lunch was pretty much dying on it's ass. I bet Amazon was busy as hell with the RTX & PS5 orders opening today.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Two of the most silent partner cards so far are too long for my case. :blobweary:
I'm not in a super hurry to get one and I don't really care about the factory overclocks, I just want a silent card.
Was leaning on MSI's Gaming X, but it's too long, same with Zotac's Trinity.

Waiting continues.

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I am not seeing any 3080 FE cards being offered or presented as sold out here in Sweden. The "buy" link on my local nvidia page links to local resellers who sell partner 308os but no 3080 FEs. There is no option to buy the FE card or any indication that it has been sold out on the nvidia page.

Anyone else with this problem? Is the 3080 FE listed as sold out in your country, or is it just not available as an option?

Maybe nvidia does not want to deliver FEs to an insignificant country like mine (Sweden) ...

Dec 5, 2018
I'm looking for something as silent and cool as my gamerock (1070), if it has a nice OC all the better.

I'll wait for stock to stabilize and then check the reviews.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I am not seeing any 3080 FE cards being offered or presented as sold out here in Sweden. The "buy" link on my local nvidia page links to local resellers who sell partner 308os but no 3080 FEs. There is no option to buy the FE card or any indication that it has been sold out on the nvidia page.

Anyone else with this problem? Is the 3080 FE listed as sold out in your country, or is it just not available as an option?

Maybe nvidia does not want to deliver FEs to an insignificant country like mine (Sweden) ...
Im in UK. Its listed as sold out which it was instantly at the stroke of the release time.

Im now reading rumours that there is a fault with Nvidias Euro web sites and that some people have been able to order an FE in the past couple of hours.

Who knows, its a totally shit launch though.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
If anyone else lives in Switzerland and is interested in getting a 3080, STEG has two offers valid only today:

699.- instead of 849,.. I mean, to get "better cards" you'd have to spend more than 900.- and I seriously doubt that by paying 20+% more you'll end up with a 20+% increase in performance.

Oh, I just noticed that PC-Ostschweiz.ch: Elektronik kompromisslos günstig zum besten Preis einkaufen. and Schweizweit beste Preise auf Computer und Teile | Jetzt beim Techmania Online-Shop kaufen have the exact same limited offer. Huh... even with the exact same layout/design...

Reactions: Joe Spangle

vitormg

Jan 7, 2019
I was able to snag a 3080 MSI Gaming X Trio from a local retailer. However, they'll only ship after the first week of October. Yikes

The price was ~good~ for Brazilian standards, being at ~1100USD. :disappointed-but-relieved-face:

• Sad
Reactions: Stevey and lashman
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
That TUF 3080 seems to be the winner so far. 10C or more cooler than the MSI, Palit, Zotac offering.
Yeah, and also not obscenely priced.

I do wonder why some of the other manufacturers don't have larger openings in the backplate. It's clearly very effective.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
It says it needs 3 8 pin connectors, my cables are single that branch into 2 8 pins, so do I just leave one hanging?
Probably yes, but it is a bit more complicated and I'd recommend you getting a second cable anyway.

In theory 2x8 pin should be able to provide all the power an RTX 3080 should ever need. RTX 3080 needs 310-350W of power, at least the FE cards.
Theoretically: The GPU can take 75W through the PCI-E port on your mainboard and each 8pin port can draw ~ 150W of power. In truth cards often take more through their 8 pin and pci-e connections, but that's not a problem. Means there is even more headroom.

Now for the it's a bit more complicated part:

1) Some partner cards have a higher stock power range For example the 2080Ti version of that card has a range of 300W-375W instead of 250W-300W on the 2080Ti Founders Edition. Meaning, maybe there is a reason for a third 8 pin connection. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3080 FTW3 is taking 400W+ if you overclock it.

2) It depends a bit on the 12V rail setup on your PSU. If your PSU is running a single 12V rail, than using a single cable with two eight pin connections is fine.
If it is a multi rail design, than using individual slots on the PSU for each 8 pin connection is the better solution. For high wattage cards at least.
Most PSUs today seem to use single 12v rails.

Long story short: just get a second cable and you'll be definitely fine. No matter the situation.

Reactions: Joe Spangle
Dec 5, 2018
I take that the diference is purely the manufacturer OC, right?

NoNoNoByAllMeans

May 2, 2020
Yeah, and also not obscenely priced.

I do wonder why some of the other manufacturers don't have larger openings in the backplate. It's clearly very effective.
Yep. The MSI Gaming X Trio also is pointless with its 3x 8-pins, when the card is software-locked to 350W anyway... Absolutely no point in that third connector in its factory condition - which I am sure will be remedied with an XOC-BIOS down the line, but most consumers don't go flashing their cards.

EVGA on the other hand confirmed the FTW3 Ultra would reach 420W max, at least closer to that theoretical 525W capability.
Too bad I think the TUF Gaming branding and design is so garish and ugly. :p

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I take that the diference is purely the manufacturer OC, right?

There are often also different power limits set in bios and silicon quality can be binned.
It's really hard to say without proper testing.

Reactions: curi0usBystander

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I wonder how much real life game difference the TUF dual bios modes have. Does the non-OC card even have that dual bios option?
On the OC card the more silent mode seems pretty silent though hotter obviously as it changes the fan profile, but it supposedly also changes the clocks a bit, but I haven't seen specifics on how much exactly the clocks are changed and how much it affects games in the end.

NoNoNoByAllMeans

May 2, 2020
I wonder how much real life game difference the TUF dual bios modes have. Does the non-OC card even have that dual bios option?
On the OC card the more silent mode seems pretty silent though hotter obviously as it changes the fan profile, but it supposedly also changes the clocks a bit, but I haven't seen specifics on how much exactly the clocks are changed and how much it affects games in the end.
TechPowerUp has some of the answers, although not in ms or fps, ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 TUF Gaming OC Review

Performance BIOS

and the quiet one:

I am sure you'll see GamersNexus talk about this precisely in their TUF review today. I couldn't find any non OC-model numbers, but I would venture a guess that you can get pretty close just with a manual overclock, unless the Bin 0 - Bin 2 silicon lottery plays a part.
Not all Chips are Equal - Igorslab

Reason: Forgot link to Igorslab

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I'll probably stick with EVGA and get an XC3 of some sort. They've been fine with my 1070 & 2070 and some reviews have said they're quiet so that's good enough for me. Doubt i'll buy anything before Christmas or even seriously look at the products until then.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
TechPowerUp has some of the answers, although not in ms or fps, ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 TUF Gaming OC Review

Performance BIOS

and the quiet one:

I am sure you'll see GamersNexus talk about this precisely in their TUF review today. I couldn't find any non OC-model numbers, but I would venture a guess that you can get pretty close just with a manual overclock, unless the Bin 0 - Bin 2 silicon lottery plays a part.
Not all Chips are Equal - Igorslab
I don't really care about the OC to do a manual OC myself, just the silence of the card.
And it fits in my case which turns out is very important. :D
But yeah, curious about the performance with the silent bios.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Probably yes, but it is a bit more complicated and I'd recommend you getting a second cable anyway.

In theory 2x8 pin should be able to provide all the power an RTX 3080 should ever need. RTX 3080 needs 310-350W of power, at least the FE cards.
Theoretically: The GPU can take 75W through the PCI-E port on your mainboard and each 8pin port can draw ~ 150W of power. In truth cards often take more through their 8 pin and pci-e connections, but that's not a problem. Means there is even more headroom.

Now for the it's a bit more complicated part:

1) Some partner cards have a higher stock power range For example the 2080Ti version of that card has a range of 300W-375W instead of 250W-300W on the 2080Ti Founders Edition. Meaning, maybe there is a reason for a third 8 pin connection. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3080 FTW3 is taking 400W+ if you overclock it.

2) It depends a bit on the 12V rail setup on your PSU. If your PSU is running a single 12V rail, than using a single cable with two eight pin connections is fine.
If it is a multi rail design, than using individual slots on the PSU for each 8 pin connection is the better solution. For high wattage cards at least.
Most PSUs today seem to use single 12v rails.

Long story short: just get a second cable and you'll be definitely fine. No matter the situation.
Thanks.
My PSU is a corsair RM750i, I can switch between single and multi rail.
I only have 2 PCIe slots on the PSU, so was going to run one 2 connection cable and one single connection cable.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Stevey

Up to 420W for your 3080 FTW3.
Probably only when manually overclocking, but...

To bring this into perspective: That's about total system peak power usage of an overclocked i7 + GTX 980 from a couple years ago.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Hmm, wonder if my 750W will be enough? I have a 9700k @5 ghz

Looks to be about 130w for my CPU if I'm reading this right.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Hmm, wonder if my 750W will be enough? I have a 9700k @5 ghz

Looks to be about 130w for my CPU if I'm reading this right.
Should not be a problem, if the PSU is in half descend condition.
I would not buy one preemptively.
I'm planning to use a 3090 or 3080Ti (speculating here) with my 750W PSU + a 3900x (up to 155W).

Dec 5, 2018
It could work but that depends how much OC you plan to do (if any).

And you might be close to the limit seeing how half of that will go to the card alone.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I never OC because I'm dumb and I always think I'm going to mess something up.
Master is guaranteed to be a high quality, high wattage variant even at stock settings.
The PSU is probably only able to provide 530-570W peak. It's too close.

Also do not spend $114 on a 250GB SSD and $80 on a 2TB HDD.

You can get 1TB NVMe drives for ~$120 now.
Amazon product

Reactions: NarohDethan

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Master is guaranteed to be a high quality, high wattage variant even at stock settings.
The PSU is probably only able to provide 530-570W peak. It's too close.

Also do not spend $114 on a 250GB SSD and $80 on a 2TB HDD.

You can get 1TB NVMe drives for ~$120 now.
Amazon product
Oh that's my current setup, minus the 3080. I currently have that ssd I listed but I got it for so much less like 6 years ago