|OT| The PC Hardware Thread -- Buy/Upgrade/Ask/Answer

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
A little bit of a shot in the dark as the problem is very specific but worth a try.
I have a wireless xbox one controller and the wireless adapter. It is getting old, the rubber is drying up and peeling a bit, so I'm looking for a replacement but an official xbox one controller is nigh impossible to find right now, at least at decent prices. Do any of you know if the wireless adapter I currently have is compatible with the series x/s controllers or do I need to get a bundle with another adapter?

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
A little bit of a shot in the dark as the problem is very specific but worth a try.
I have a wireless xbox one controller and the wireless adapter. It is getting old, the rubber is drying up and peeling a bit, so I'm looking for a replacement but an official xbox one controller is nigh impossible to find right now, at least at decent prices. Do any of you know if the wireless adapter I currently have is compatible with the series x/s controllers or do I need to get a bundle with another adapter?
I believe the Xbox Series X/S controllers are compatible with Xbox One, so they should also work with the PC wireless adapter that uses the same proprietary wireless signal.

Reactions: kio

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
It's compatible.

Reactions: kio

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Yup, I regularly see cards discounted by X% in some store, and then few weeks later that price becomes the new normal price across all stores. More or less.
A TUF 3060Ti OC is "only" €670 now and actually available. Like, technically I saw it at or around that price before, but since there was no stock it was not a truly real price.

Though it's all very tempting to think about buying one of these cards sooner or later, I'm going to try and stick to my decision to wait for the next round.

Reactions: QFNS

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
> checks the prices of 3080Ti in my local e-tailers.
> claims $200 price reduction.
> still in $2000 ballpark.
How generous. :flare_lmao:

I'll check again when 4080Ti has been rolled out, I guess. Maybe there will be a significant discount by then.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman and Pommes

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Anyone recommend a good little usb Wifi network adapter thingy?

Just moved and the router is no where near my PC so need to connect wirelessly. I bought a cheap one but its just not working right, driver issues i think. I would rather shell out a bit more for a decent one.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Anyone recommend a good little usb Wifi network adapter thingy?

Just moved and the router is no where near my PC so need to connect wirelessly. I bought a cheap one but its just not working right, driver issues i think. I would rather shell out a bit more for a decent one.
Would powerline (TP-LINK TL-PA9020P KIT, AV2000) be an option?
If not, i assume you mean something like this: TP-Link USB Archer T4U Plus

or this ASUS WiFi 6 AX1800 USB (if you want wifi6)

Just posting newegg links due to ease of search, but like bestbuy or wherever is likely to have the same ones

Reactions: Joe Spangle

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019

didamangi

Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com

Seems like decent reviews, with actual testing.

I hope that $800 comes with a 1000w platinum rated PSU :p

Looking forward to many steam deck clones/palm size pc with better performance in the future.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Now that the Deck impact on the budget is more or less history, I'm looking at upgrading the PC, but dear lord, those prices are not cheap, even on CPUs.
My 2600x is beginning to be long in the tooth, but 350 euros for a 5800x, 307 for a 12600k or 619 for a 12900k is not a small pill to swallow when it's only for the CPU.

Are the new Intel that much better than the competition ? Does a 12600k makes sense or is it really compromised compared to the 12900k ?

Upgrading from a 2600x to a 5600 would give significant results or I'm better off saving money ?

Last edited:

didamangi

Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Now that the Deck impact on the budget is more or less history, I'm looking at upgrading the PC, but dear lord, those prices are not cheap, even on CPUs.
My 2600x is beginning to be long in the tooth, but 350 euros for a 5800x, 307 for a 12600k or 619 for a 12900k is not a small pill to swallow when it's only for the CPU.

Are the new Intel that much better than the competition ? Does a 12600k makes sense or is it really compromised compared to the 12900k ?

Upgrading from a 2600x to a 5600 would give significant results or I'm better off saving money ?
What's your gpu atm?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I'd say upgrade your GPU first.
Sure, but the cards being still a good 300 euros over the FE is hardcore.

I guess it's the ideal time to work on the case and fans, but as people seem to point to the 40xx series being monsters, I'm not even sure if even buying a case is wise. If I shell out 150-200 on a case, it's certainly not to change it in a couple months or years.

didamangi

Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Sure, but the cards being still a good 300 euros over the FE is hardcore.

I guess it's the ideal time to work on the case and fans, but as people seem to point to the 40xx series being monsters, I'm not even sure if even buying a case is wise. If I shell out 150-200 on a case, it's certainly not to change it in a couple months or years.
Maybe just wait if you can then. Since upgrading your cpu will only make minimal gains for a lot of money spent for the majority of games with your 2060 super. Unless maybe you're using rpcs3 and other things besides gaming that needs faster/more cores on a daily basis.

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I sure wouldn't say no to a better CPU for Yuzu, but if that's the only gain...
I'm very worried about the price trajectory of everything right now. The GPU price which is supposed to lower, is, spoiler twist, absolutely not lowering in France. CPU are not cheap. And even if I said fuck it I buy a console, well they are still MIA.

This upgrade, even done in parts, sure feels like a wool ball I can't even begin to unravel, if that makes sense.

Edit -
You need a 3090 to play Cyberpunk at 1440p Ultra ? Jesusssss.

I see your point anyway, upgrading the CPU seems to have a very limited impact on fps.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
You need a 3090 to play Cyberpunk at 1440p Ultra ? Jesusssss.
You are making the classic mistake to assume "ULTRA" are in any way reasonable settings. Cyberpunk has some crazy expensive ray tracing options, going far beyond what many other games are offering in that regard. The game gives you a ton of options for which things are affected by the ray tracing, and yeah, the ultra option is pretty much bonkers for current GPUs. That's not a bad thing either, in a couple of years, even mid-tier GPUs will have an easier time with those things and it will make it worthwhile to go back to those games.
Here and now, those crazy expensive RT effects pretty much require a 3090.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Gosh that reminds me, I really wish DF (or someone equally competent) would do a revised PC settings video since the 1.5 patch changed so much. Not to mention Nvidia optimizations to DLSS since than.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
You are making the classic mistake to assume "ULTRA" are in any way reasonable settings. Cyberpunk has some crazy expensive ray tracing options, going far beyond what many other games are offering in that regard. The game gives you a ton of options for which things are affected by the ray tracing, and yeah, the ultra option is pretty much bonkers for current GPUs. That's not a bad thing either, in a couple of years, even mid-tier GPUs will have an easier time with those things and it will make it worthwhile to go back to those games.
Here and now, those crazy expensive RT effects pretty much require a 3090.
To be fair the video jumps from Ultra to Medium. I very much like my High, won’t lose sleep over max settings.
But alas, as soon as RT enters the fray I fear my 2060 super will plummet. On the other hand, all those delirious prices made me seriously question why I bother with RT. I could have played CP at near 60 fps already if I made my peace with it.

Reactions: Mivey

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
To be fair the video jumps from Ultra to Medium. I very much like my High, won’t lose sleep over max settings.
But alas, as soon as RT enters the fray I fear my 2060 super will plummet. On the other hand, all those delirious prices made me seriously question why I bother with RT. I could have played CP at near 60 fps already if I made my peace with it.
I think it's totally valid to just skip RT for now and choose a more budget GPU. Eventually even future budget GPUs will get better at RT and you can go back to some titles and replay them again with RT on.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
1/ The Pure Base 500DX has been recommended to me on another forum. It won't be said I'm not open minded so ok, I think I found my future case.
I heard the Nvidia 40xx could be monsters, is there a risk that the case would reveal itself unfit ?

2/ Unfortunately it seems the case comes bundled with non-PWM fans. In what order of magnitude is it an issue ? With my fucking NZXT cooking oven I always thought I would buy PWM fans next.

3/ I already asked this some months ago I think. My only experience fixing the CPU fan was on AMD and it was more than a little stressful. Is is still the case on a 3xxx or a 5xxx ? I think I recall reading that Intel had changed their system and that it was easier with them, is it true ?

4/ Noctua. Would the NH-D12L be a good fan to cool my PC in demanding games like Control ? Another reference, maybe ? They have a shit ton of fans... The only one I know is the overkill 100 euros one, but I'm not sure it would fit in the Pure Base.

Tentative steps in order of feasibility
  • New case with CPU fan
  • ADD - New CPU with a bios flash of my MB
  • ADD - Changing the fans included in the Pure Base
  • ADD - Changing the Motherboard or going Intel and throwing out this draft

Last edited:

knch

Sep 23, 2019
1/ The Pure Base 500DX has been recommended to me on another forumIt won't be said I'm not open minded so ok, I think I found my future case.
I heard the Nvidia 40xx could be monsters, is there a risk that the case would reveal itself unfit ?

2/ Unfortunately it seems the case comes bundled with non-PWM fans. In what order of magnitude is it an issue ? With my fucking NZXT cooking oven I always thought I would buy PWM fans next.

3/ I already asked this some months ago I think. My only experience fixing the CPU fan was on AMD and it was more than a little stressful. Is is still the case on a 3xxx or a 5xxx ? I think I recall reading that Intel had changed their system and that it was easier, is it true ?

4/ Noctua. Would the NH-D12L be a good fan to cool my PC in demanding games like Control ? Another reference, maybe ? They have a shit ton of fans... The only one I know is the overkill 100 euros one, but I'm not sure it would fit in the Pure Base.
1 - The pure base can fit a cooler of up to 190mm, unsure of GPU length.
2 - Non PWM fans are fine unless you want a really quiet build, they only provide better control especially at the lower RPMs.
3 - Intel hasen't changed anything in forever, except the socket pin count. If you get a Noctua it's the same system for either except with different brackets. AMD is not that scary anymore since you no longer need a screwdriver to push down the latch.
4 - The Noctuas beats liquid coolers, if the 15 is too expensive there's always the 14 and there is now also a cheaper version of the 12. Any of them would fit in the pure base. BeQuiet also has a few great options.

• Hug

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
I feel like trying to ensure future GPUs fit is bit of fools errand.

I bought R6, thinking it's 30cm (w/ HDD cage) space will fit basically any future GPU (expect the top end monster overclocked models).

Then shortest (TUF) 3070/80 are 29.99cm .... Others are well above 30cm.

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
The Pure Base 500DX...
My case since it released so i probably should give my impressions:

1. Not a problem with current gpus as long as you're all air cooling (which i'd recommend anyway). I have to imagine they'll continue to make gpu models to fit in cases like this since it is on the bigger side for gpu clearance. I wouldn't recommend it for watercooling, there are obviously spots where you can fit a radiator but it just doesn't compare to more flexible cases with better/more spots to place radiators. (Radiator at the top would need to be on the small side, at the front it cuts into gpu space and so on)

2. I can adjust the fans with my motherboard, the rpm does go down to barely audible so good enough. Don't expect to just get great fans with the case though, I have them and some arctics running in my system and adjusting both to the same level of noise the arctics are just moving noticeably more air.

Overall i bought it almost 2 years ago because it was the one case for less than 100€ where everything seemed to be good, i wasn't in love with anything but every other case i watched a review for had something that made me go "nope, different case" and this one didn't. And i'm happy with it, really solid case for the "good enough" category. I think some good looking alternatives have released over the last 2 years though.

But there is one thing to complain about: having to remove the front to get to the front dust filter is stupid.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
No experience with the Pure Base 500DX, but I'm using the Silent Base 802 for a few months now in my new PC, and I haven't been this happy with a case in basically a decade. So if the quality is somewhat consistent between be quiet! cases then I can recommend that, at least from a build quality perspective.

And yeah, PWM in case fans really isn't necessary IMHO, you don't need fine-grained control of those and in a decently designed case you can run them at a fixed speed and low enough volume that it doesn't matter.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I haven't been this happy with a case in basically a decade.
Jeez, that's some praise ! A little on the pricey side though, I could buy fans with the saving. What's the big difference with the 500DX ? And why are you so happy with it ?

- For reference my rig
AMD RYZEN5 2600X Socket AM4 4.25Ghz+19MB
Wraith Prism ?
MSI B450 Tomahawk AMD Socket AM4
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Go (2x8Go) DDR4 3000MHz C15 XMP 2.0
Samsung 860 EVO - 1 To
Geforce RTX 2060 Super
NZXT H500 - Black
Corsair RM550x v2 - Gold
Windows 11
LG 27GL850-B

- I'm tempted by
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler ? Which one ?
Pure Base 500DX or Silent Base 802

Last edited:
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I just read my post again and I feel like I formulated it poorly -- I'm not saying you should buy the Silent Base 802 (It's a huge case, and any sane build really doesn't need it), what I was trying to say is that I had a really good experience with my first "be quiet!" case so if that's any indication the 500DX should also be nice in terms of overall quality.

• Love
Reactions: TheTrain and Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I just read my post again and I feel like I formulated it poorly -- I'm not saying you should buy the Silent Base 802 (It's a huge case, and any sane build really doesn't need it), what I was trying to say is that I had a really good experience with my first "be quiet!" case so if that's any indication the 500DX should also be nice in terms of overall quality.
Yeah I understood you weren't implying that, but your glowing praises were intriguing. As I understand it, it's a better quality case with maybe better included fans, which is not uninteresting.

didamangi

Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler ? Which one ?
Pure Base 500DX or Silent Base 802
Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo seems to be the new value king, Same performance as fuma 2 at lower price. quiet too. Although using it with a 5800x should be fine for gaming, on all core loads it might be too much to handle.

Might want to go the nhd15/deepcool ak620/dark rock pro 4 route for air cooler. or arctic liquid freezer ii 280 for aio.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo seems to be the new value king, Same performance as fuma 2 at lower price. quiet too. Although using it with a 5800x should be fine for gaming, on all core loads it might bee too much to handle.

Might want to go the nhd15/deepcool ak620/dark rock pro 4 route for air cooler. or arctic liquid freezer ii 280 for aio.
So something like that ? Will the Noctua fit ?
And will my power supply follows ? Can I, as I hope, change it only when magical unicorns GPU come to market ?

LiKao - Saved Part Lists - PCPartPicker

didamangi

Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
So something like that ? Will the Noctua fit ?
And will my power supply follows ? Can I, as I hope, change it only when magical unicorns GPU come to market ?

LiKao - Saved Part Lists - PCPartPicker
It'll fit.

With your current gpu, yes, your psu still holds. But if you upgrade to a 3070 or higher, an upgrade to 750w or more should be on your list as well.

• Love
Reactions: TheTrain and Li Kao

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
I also have a be quiet case, dark base pro 900, because I builded an inverted config and its been an amazing experience. Really good material used for every little detail, from the screw with the rubber used as anti vibration to the sound-absorbing panels placed everywhere inside the case itself.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik and Li Kao

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I've been thinking about replacing my case as well. The fractal design meshify 2 that I have is fine, but the side panels have a habit of vibrating, I guess that's the best way to put it. Well, I mean they pick up the vibration from HDD's. I don't remember my older fractal having this issue at all so maybe it's a faulty unit or something. But when it vibrates, if I just press my hands on both sidepanels, it will dampen the vibrations immediately. Could be that their toolless design sucks or something.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Not sure the Noctua NH-D15 will fit with my Corsair Vengeance LPX :thinking-blob:

Oh shit I'm blind, no it won't. Noctua seem to say you can adapt, but then I'm not sure if the PureBase will fit.
Or I could go Be Quiet and buy a Dark Rock Pro 4, but I imagine, maybe wrongly, that it's not the same level of cooling ?

Or let me see, gonna imagine it. As I'm tote a math head this will go well :p
This
FAQ: How big is the NH-D15 and how much clearance does it provide for RAM and chipset coolers? (noctua.at)
seems to say that I can offset the front fan but the thing will then need 170mm in the case.
But the case is 232mm, I... think ? So we are good ?

Last edited:

didamangi

Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Not sure the Noctua NH-D15 will fit with my Corsair Vengeance LPX :thinking-blob:

Oh shit I'm blind, no it won't. Noctua seem to say you can adapt, but then I'm not sure if the PureBase will fit.
Or I could go Be Quiet and buy a Dark Rock Pro 4, but I imagine, maybe wrongly, that it's not the same level of cooling ?

Or let me see, gonna imagine it. As I'm tote a math head this will go well :p
This
FAQ: How big is the NH-D15 and how much clearance does it provide for RAM and chipset coolers? (noctua.at)
seems to say that I can offset the front fan but the thing will then need 170mm in the case.
But the case is 232mm, I... think ? So we are good ?
the 500dx has 190mm height clearance for cpu cooler, you'll be fine.

• Gib

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Been looking at the Silent Base 601 intensely. It seems like it would fit my use case pretty well.
But I have a feeling it might get a 602 revision pretty soon, it seems like it was released at the same time as the 801, and that already got a revision as 802 about a year ago I think.
Maybe they'll add a mesh front panel and usb c to it.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I think I'll upgrade some parts this year:

Case: NZXT h510 - > NZXT h710
PSU: EVGA BQ 600w Bronze -> EVGA Supernova GT 750W
GPU: RTX 2070 Super -> RTX 3070 Ti
RAM: DDR4 16GB 3200 Mhz -> 32 GB 3200 Mhz
Three more SSD drives

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I think I'll upgrade some parts this year:

Case: NZXT h510 - > NZXT h710
PSU: EVGA BQ 600w Bronze -> EVGA Supernova GT 750W
GPU: RTX 2070 Super -> RTX 3070 Ti
RAM: DDR4 16GB 3200 Mhz -> 32 GB 3200 Mhz
Three more SSD drives
750W PSU is kind of cutting it close... Try to go for at least 850W.

• Comfy
Reactions: NarohDethan

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
I have faster RAM, a 3080ti, similar amount of SSD's, 9700k with water cooler and the PSU (Corsair RM750i) has never been close to running out of headroom.

Reactions: NarohDethan

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I'm just of the school that you should always leave loads of PSU headroom.
I looked at my local store and they had a 850w PSU for the same price as a 750W on Amazon so I might just pick up that instead :)

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I have the 750W Corsair RMX.
It's plenty of power, but I also can't help but think about buying a bigger one anyway. :rip:

Also I should be getting a delivery tomorrow.
I guess I bought a rtx 3070 despite being sure I would wait for the next round of cards. :blobweary:
I can always sell this one if I really feel the need to upgrade again, but 3070 is literally over double the performance on average vs the 1070, so I think I'll be happy with it for a while.
Only thing I'm sad about it is that it's still the same VRAM amount as the 1070. Not that it necessarily needs more, but it just feels weird to not have that move up a tier as well.