|OT| The PC Hardware Thread -- Buy/Upgrade/Ask/Answer

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
From the options I see Asus Prime Z790-P WI-FI?

I know pretty much nothing on mobos :/
Well, the b660 you chose is a high end one but can't be used to oc or now even undervolt as well a z series one.

And the b660/z690 motherboard will need a bios update before you can even use the 13600k, it just won't boot before you update the bios.

If you want a hassle free installation and avoiding the need for a blind bios update (using only usb drive and psu) you should consider a z790/b760 board right out of the gate for your 13600k.

Asus Prime Z790-P WI-FI is a good board with good vrm but lacking optical port for the onboard audio solution and just the one heatsink for nvme drives out of 3, which is easily solvable with a 3rd cheap party nvme heatsink if you chose to use the rest of the slot.

I'd say it's the better choice for 13600k rather than the b660 one, although feature wise (as in the amount of rear usb ports and the onboard audio) is not as good as the b660 strix.

Reactions: AHA-Lambda

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Well, the b660 you chose is a high end one but can't be used to oc or now even undervolt as well a z series one.

And the b660/z690 motherboard will need a bios update before you can even use the 13600k, it just won't boot before you update the bios.

If you want a hassle free installation and avoiding the need for a blind bios update (using only usb drive and psu) you should consider a z790/b760 board right out of the gate for your 13600k.

Asus Prime Z790-P WI-FI is a good board with good vrm but lacking optical port for the onboard audio solution and just the one heatsink for nvme drives out of 3, which is easily solvable with a 3rd cheap party nvme heatsink if you chose to use the rest of the slot.

I'd say it's the better choice for 13600k rather than the b660 one, although feature wise (as in the amount of rear usb ports and the onboard audio) is not as good as the b660 strix.
Thank you, sounds like the z790 then ๐Ÿ‘

I keep making small changes to this config ๐Ÿ˜…

Last edited:

AiyuLuni

๐ผ๐“ƒ๐’น๐’พ๐‘’ ๐‘”๐’ถ๐“‚๐‘’ ๐“…๐“‡๐‘œ๐“‰๐’ถ๐‘”๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“‰
Nov 25, 2022
Norway

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Cardiff, Wales
www.playedthat.com
Kinda stupid they put a time limit on it, but I donโ€™t see why you wouldnโ€™t just update your controllers between now and the end of the year? Itโ€™s not like theyโ€™re giving you a week to do it or something.

And anyway, I expect the firmware will be busted open long before then. People are already looking at the firmware files Google put on the tool.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
twitter.com
I updated Samsung Magician to do a check up on my old SSD's health since it's my primary/OS drive and now it no longer has the option to perform a diagnostic, it says drive not supported. That makes no sense if new versions don't support old SSDs without warning.

Also "overprovisioning seems broken, I enable it and it does nothing, it's still disabled except in another tab it shows as 0% 0GB (so same difference I guess).

Actually here it says 10% (and Drive Health Good but how does it know without diagnostic scans)

Here it's clear

And here if I enable it with power saving mode or with custom mode then it pretends to work for a while but switching tabs it's the same as before.

I wanted it since it says it lasts longer with it and I'm pretty sure I used to have it. Actually here it claims there are 11GB OP.

That's the tab if I switch from Clear OP to Set or after I faux-enable it in the other tab where it still shows as disabled when I go back to it. I can't change the 0%.

Edit: and now after some faffing about trying to enable OP it has two sections in that tab. But still reports 0MB. And the rest behavior exactly as above. Lol? Help?

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman