|OT| The PC Hardware Thread -- Buy/Upgrade/Ask/Answer

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Anyone recommend which mouse brands are generally better? (Gaming or non-gaming)

I really don't want to get misclicks/double-clicks, so I'm avoiding Logitech. My current very cheap HP mouse lasted throughout the pandemic very well, but I really need some side button (not just gaming but work too).

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Anyone recommend which mouse brands are generally better? (Gaming or non-gaming)

I really don't want to get misclicks/double-clicks, so I'm avoiding Logitech. My current very cheap HP mouse lasted throughout the pandemic very well, but I really need some side button (not just gaming but work too).
Never had any issues with any of my Logitechs, currently using G305

Reactions: ISee and Stevey
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I've been using my 2nd generation Logitech G5 for over a decade now. I don't know if the newer ones are still that resilient, but I can certainly vouch for ca. 2018 Logitech mice!

Speaking of SSD's, is there a good/really good program that can automatically estimate the life that the drive has left in it?
The question was answered already, but I'd like to post a friendly reminder that any SSD can die from one day to the next without any previous indication (I've had it happen). Don't slack on your backups everyone.

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
I am using a Logitech G303. No problems to report (using it since the end of 2015).

ScreamingTrees

Dec 12, 2018
Used a Logitech g900 for last few years, found it very good. Still works fine now. Bit expensive, I wanted a good ambidextrous mouse.

Someone got me a razer viper ultimate for Christmas so giving that a go at the moment, I like it so far.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
performance
After the mess of fresh driver install, yep. 60 FPS in CP2077 via family share with settings mostly all but a couple at high. Pretty happy.

RDR2 I can finally play on Directv haha.

But the driver issue was even after fresh install with the 460.82 (or wherever is current and of now) my system speed 432 lol.

Pulling the ethernet cord somehow fixed this after a third attempt O.O

Reactions: dummmyy

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
so i got my build up and running today but when i went in and changed the memory to DOCP to run at the correct 3600 and it restarted to a dram led and wouldnt post. i flashed the bios and it was able to post but im not sure if i change that setting again if it will give me the same led indicator.

• Sad
Reactions: didamangi

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
This new PC is going to be the death of me...

So I decided to replace the stock cooler that came with my 3800. It's that wraith prism thing, and I just found it very loud, and my computer got quite hot when I was playing games. So the replacement arrives, I start to remove the old one... and it's a pain to take out. It "hooks" onto those brackets, which means I can't just lift it straight up, and I can't wiggle it -- I have to unlatch one side, and then angle it to unhook it. The videocard made this difficult, so after unlatching it and unhooking the one side, I remove the videocard and successfully remove the cooler!

Except, my CPU is no longer in my motherboard. That dinky little CPU latch did nothing and it's attached to the heatsink with the preapplied thermal paste the stock cooler came with. I manage to remove it easily enough, but about 10 of the pins are bent during this whole process. I freak out. I start manually bending the pins with super fine tweezers, a magnifying glass, and a ton of light. I have trouble seeing things close up, so this is all very stressful and awful. I keep adjusting pins, trying to seat the CPU, and one side wont slip in.

I'm getting ready to give up, and decide to contact Amazon support. They call me 2 minutes later, and the very nice girl has no idea what I'm talking about. She keeps putting me on hold, trying to contact the manufacturer, but has no luck(cause it's New Year's day maybe?). Anyway, after 15 minutes she gives up and says they will make an exception and replace it free of charge just this once! Yay! New CPU will be here... Wednesday. Which means my long weekend is going to consist of me reading a lot, and watching youtube on my phone. Not what I had in mind, but at least I don't have to spend $500+ on a new CPU.

By fluke, my younger brother pops in for a minute, I tell him what happened, and he plays around with the pins. It doesn't fall into the slot, but with a bit of light fiddling he gets it in! We hook up the cooler, put the videocard back in, and everything works great!

So now I have to decide what to do with the replacement that is coming. Do I go through the hassle of taking the old one out, and installing the new one? Or just send the replacement back. My brother thinks I should keep the new one, in case there are issues down the road because of the bent pins.

Anyway... Building this PC has been a journey, for sure.

Last edited:

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
so i got my build up and running today but when i went in and changed the memory to DOCP to run at the correct 3600 and it restarted to a dram led and wouldnt post. i flashed the bios and it was able to post but im not sure if i change that setting again if it will give me the same led indicator.
See if there's a bios update for your motherboard, it can improve memory compatibility.

So now I have to decide what to do with the replacement that is coming. Do I go through the hassle of taking the old one out, and installing the new one? Or just send the replacement back. My brother thinks I should keep the new one, in case there are issues down the road because of the bent pins.

Anyway... Building this PC has been a journey, for sure.
Listen to your brother.

Just a little advice for next time you want to do this (especially with amd socket. Warm your cpu and cooler first before shutting it down, 7zip benchmark is an easy way to do this. it will warm up the thermal paste and make it easier to remove the cooler without taking the cpu with it.

After shutting it down, wiggle/ twist the cooler and you'll get it off pretty easily.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Quoting myself in the correct thread instead! 😀

Is it recommended to stay updated with your Bios for Ryzen CPUs?

I can see that ASUS have released a few BIOS updates regarding system stability for my MB.

I haven't had any real problems, except once or twice when the computer has been left idle for quite awhile with the monitor turned off, and I get back to it, it is still running but the monitor refuses to find a signal and the mouse/keyboard cannot wake the computer. The only way out of that situation is a hard reset, and then everything works as intended again.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Quoting myself in the correct thread instead! 😀
Asus added and improved their BIOS constantly, memory support got better, PBO results got better, stability improved, OC features were added (like per CCX on X470 boards, FMAX on x570).
If you are on a Ryzen 3000 and on a BIOS that's 6 months old I'd say you don't need to update, unless you like to tinker with your cpu and memory a lot.
And even than it is probably not that much of a big deal, as said: Ryzen 3000 is in a good place now.

If you are on Ryzen 5000, constantly updating seems to be the way to go. Just as with Ryzen 3000 when it released. Unfortunately this seems to be how the AMD platform is now: Constant patching needed because nothing is really ready at launch.

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
holy shit replacing case fans with some silent wings 3 and setting some fan curves and its night and day difference in sound coming form new build to my old pc.

even with fan curve on my 3080 its barely audible if at all

Reactions: Parsnip

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
If you are on a Ryzen 3000 and on a BIOS that's 6 months old I'd say you don't need to update, unless you like to tinker with your cpu and memory a lot.
I'm on a Ryzen 5 3600 and the system was built December 2019. I need to check the BIOS version, but it is definitely not updated since then.

No overclocking or playing with memory here.

Should I update? 😀

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I'm on a Ryzen 5 3600 and the system was built December 2019. I need to check the BIOS version, but it is definitely not updated since then.

No overclocking or playing with memory here.

Should I update? 😀
Sorry, I do not remember the state of the BIOS iterations from dec 2019.
As said, especially single boost behavior changed a lot since dec 2019, but I'm not even sure that is relevant for a 3600 CPU. Especially if you are not even using PBO. It's up to you.

• Hug
Reactions: FunnyJay

FunnyJay