Community The Visual Novel Council | All Choices Lead To Here

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Uta Prelude, Re:Zero, Ryza 2, Rance Quest, and Muv Luv TDA(?) all purchaseable within a week? There has never been a week more targeted at me and my paycheck that just cleared. Guess I know where my OT money is going.

ooooft, that's a high price for Re:Zero!

The price to pay for Emilia-tan. My loyalty won't be tested today.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Spike Chunsoft must be smoking crack with that price. Even with the launch discount, it's still more expensive than Ryza's launch price -- with a lesser production value. Either that or Kadokawa wants their pound of flesh too.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Is it? It's late January already, no Steam pages for any of the games...
What if Valve rejected them?
Then why would they have just tweeted out this image an hour ago as a QRT to their original TDA announcement? But you're right in that Valve approval could have had it miss the January deadline, but from the teaser it seems like it's happening real soon.

Edit: Age also just announced a stream for tomorrow, where they could be announcing the actual release date

Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

I have been playing Cho Dengeki Stryker lately. Overdrive's manga-like art style is really nice to look at. Still very early on but I have high hopes towards the story.

This thing is going to be delisted by 31/01/2021

Can't vouch for its quality, though.
Lol I don't know it is on steam. Weird that the game is delisting when Shuffle 2 was released recently in Japan. Maybe the license got picked up by another company?

Last edited:

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Lol I don't know it is on steam. Weird that the game is delisting when Shuffle 2 was released recently in Japan. Maybe the license got picked up by another company?
I doubt it. I think Mangagamer let the license for the 18+ version lapsed as well, with no indication that they will renew it. This may be the last time the localised version will be available on PC. I hope I'm wrong though.

• Sad
Reactions: Cacher

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
yeah MG localized the 18+ version and then license expired and yumehaven published the ps2 version on steam, Shuffle! Essence+. with all its expanded content has never been published in the west though

also where's my fucking Majikoi steam release...

Last edited:

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Then why would they have just tweeted out this image an hour ago as a QRT to their original TDA announcement? But you're right in that Valve approval could have had it miss the January deadline, but from the teaser it seems like it's happening real soon.

Edit: Age also just announced a stream for tomorrow, where they could be announcing the actual release date

Stream's up, my JP's weak but I'm seeing some people reporting that Muv-Luv TDA's been delayed till February due to certain "adjustments"?. Not sure what that means, but will wait for official confirmation later

• Sad
Reactions: Exzyleph

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Tried Silverio Vendetta demo... So many difficult words. I think a native Japanese may also have difficulty reading it.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Tried Silverio Vendetta demo... So many difficult words. I think a native Japanese may also have difficulty reading it.
I'm feeling that way while reading Dies Irae tbh. At times it can feel like such a difficult read even when translated amazingly well into English. I can't even imagine how Steiner tackled this project,

I should make some time to watch that talk he gave last week since he did go into some depth about it and I only managed to catch the second half live when they already moved onto manga.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I'm feeling that way while reading Dies Irae tbh. At times it can feel like such a difficult read even when translated amazingly well into English. I can't even imagine how Steiner tackled this project,

I should make some time to watch that talk he gave last week since he did go into some depth about it and I only managed to catch the second half live when they already moved onto manga.
I have heard of the difficulty of Dies Irae so I have been avoiding Masada Takashi's work for a long time. Not confident enough to tackle them with my Japanese proficiency. I will definitely try them down the road but first, I definitely need to learn more.

Steiner is incredibly talented to translate such a huge and difficult project. Can't imagine how much time is needed to translate it into English.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Re: Cho Dengeki Stryker

Love Saga done. To be frank, I didn't like Hiruko too much before entering the route. Hiruko was an ojousama-type character that was too arrogant and annoying to my taste. However, the story blew away all my expectation.

As the title says, this route is centered around "love". The love between Yamato and Hiruko and the love between Hiruko and her teammates are so heart-warming. Besides, all the characters have so much growth and development, especially Hiruko has grown into a character who players can be sympathetic about her past and personality.

I love this route more than Zero Saga. Bravo.

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
JAST just announced Eiyu*Senki Gold – The New Conquest on JASTUSA.com (NSFW) and Steam:

Despite the title it is not a remake of Eiyu*Senki, but rather a completely different story (alternative history) set in the same world with the same characters.
The JAST version is being released this Friday.

There's also a physical, limited edition on J-List (NSFW):

Last edited:

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Muv-Luv Unlimited: The Day After episodes 0 to 3 out on Steam.
There's a bundle of all 4 episodes, but if you already own the other releases, then it is cheaper to buy the Muv-Luv MEGAVERSE bundle.

AND the Muv-Luv manga has been added as DLC for the original game:

Also, Fruitbat Factory released a demo for MIYAMI a few days ago, which supposedly contains a third of the game (5-10 hours).
It looks really interesting, but my backlog is too packed for demos right now :negative-blob:

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
After a particularly dry fall, VN publishers are now consolidating together to release every long awaited title in the span of less than 2 months in 2021.

Still waiting for that steam version of Majikoi JAST.

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
NekoNyan just announced that they'll be having a Kickstarter campaign for Kinkoi: Golden Loveriche!.
They had some teething problems with their first campaign (for Aokana), partly due to COVID-19 causing delays, but they also did a great job of following up from what I've seen and I was really impressed by collectors edition that I eventually received. So I'll most likely be backing this as well.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
NekoNyan just announced that they'll be having a Kickstarter campaign for Kinkoi: Golden Loveriche!.
They had some teething problems with their first campaign (for Aokana), partly due to COVID-19 causing delays, but they also did a great job of following up from what I've seen and I was really impressed by collectors edition that I eventually received. So I'll most likely be backing this as well.

"This year is especially unique since royalty from the small Scandinavian country of Sortilège were invited to the school."
Ah yes, looks like something up your valley.

• Toucan

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Muv-Luv Unlimited: The Day After ended up being a bit of a disappointment.
Not because of the story, but because of the
All-new user interface in a rebuilt engine designed for unprecedented system compatibility!
This interface is clearly designed with phones/tablets in mind and is a massive step down from the engine used by older Muv-Luv releases. It runs at sub 60 FPS with noticeable stutter, which is ridiculous for a VN, it forces you to change your Windows language to change the in-game language, and it is incredibly sparse when it comes to options and features.

This is the totality of options available in TDA:
I've seen plenty of doujin engines that run better and are more full featured than this.
For now I've refunded it and and will be looking for a significant discount before picking it up again.
I have plenty of other things to read in the mean time.

In more positive news, DRAMAtical Murder got both a Steam page and a demo:

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Not even a resolution selector like the other games have? Welp. What a downgrade. I'm feeling buyer's remorse right now. :dana_cry:

Even Key's older titles have more options than theirs.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Muv-Luv Unlimited: The Day After ended up being a bit of a disappointment.
Not because of the story, but because of the

This interface is clearly designed with phones/tablets in mind and is a massive step down from the engine used by older Muv-Luv releases. It runs at sub 60 FPS with noticeable stutter, which is ridiculous for a VN, it forces you to change your Windows language to change the in-game language, and it is incredibly sparse when it comes to options and features.

I've seen plenty of doujin engines that run better and are more full featured than this.
For now I've refunded it and and will be looking for a significant discount before picking it up again.
I have plenty of other things to read in the mean time.

In more positive news, DRAMAtical Murder got both a Steam page and a demo:

FWIW injecting Special K fixes up The Day After framerate issues for me.
Don't try to inject it into previous muv luv titles, they CTD after first logo

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
The pricing and some of the release elements around TDA is such a shame, especially so since I hear it's really good and I plan on reading it soon after I finish up Dies Irae and Sengoku Rance. I'm fine with the price of 01-03, but I think making episode 00 free to let anyone in the door and make the overall price of the full package more enticing would go a long way. I get that this VN is marketed towards people who read the trilogy already, but there's plenty of people who played the trilogy who have no idea what TDA's premise even is and would've been way more interested if they made 00 free for them to check out. The new engine being a straight up downgrade in many ways from the previous one is just the unfortunate cherry on top.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I take it MangaGamer are still having problems with their Payment Processing? I tried to buy some VNs on their site but it wouldn't go through.
I might contact them on Monday if i remember.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
RIP Sharin no Kuni on the Vita:
Sharin no Kuni Update #70: Vita Port Canceled (backers only, full text in comments)

It sucks for the backers, but it is also kinda amusing that the Kickstarter campaign that tried to shame people into backing it has had so many problems.
On the one hand, i get why the Vita version was inevitably canned and it sucks for both the company and the backers, but also FW took people's money and strung them along for 5 years so people who backed it got every right to feel some type of way about this.

Hilarious that this also happens on the same day as the 9 year anni of the Vita being released in NA lmao

Edit: On the plus side, looks like the Anchor team is taking feedback and patching up TDA

DeejayDoom

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
Just finished The Day After and it was sooo good. Holy shit how much i missed more Muv-Luv. Hopefully they release Resonative (AKA chapter 4) this year.

Reactions: skLaFarebear

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Just finished The Day After and it was sooo good. Holy shit how much i missed more Muv-Luv. Hopefully they release Resonative (AKA chapter 4) this year.
Keeping it as spoiler free as possible, is it better to wait for Resonative and read it all in one shot or does 03 feel like a solid stopping point?

Last edited:

DeejayDoom

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
Keeping it as spoiler free as possible, is it better to wait for Resonative and read it all in one shot or does 03 feel like a solid stopping point?
I think it's a decent stopping point, but there's still a good chunk of things to explain (some of them really important).

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Got a notification on Steam that Root Letter and Last Answer is on sale. Been meaning to pick it up for a while. Other than the "live action" scenes which I'm not interested in, is there a reason for me to get Last Answer over the original?

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Got a notification on Steam that Root Letter and Last Answer is on sale. Been meaning to pick it up for a while. Other than the "live action" scenes which I'm not interested in, is there a reason for me to get Last Answer over the original?
It sounds like Last Answer does have some additional content and that you can still use the OG sprites. From VNDB:
Remake of the original game with live-action graphics and adjusments to make it easier to play. The game will feature two modes, “Drama Mode” and “Original Mode.” In Drama Mode, the game’s live-action actors will perform as the characters in the game, both visually and vocally. The game’s setting of Shimane is also depicted in live-action. In Original Mode, the game uses Taro Minobosi’s original artwort and original voice cast. You can switch between these two modes from the title screen.

A resolution chapter that reveals the truth of the ending that was previously untold has also been added.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik and C-Dub

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
Finished my Uta marathon two days ago (well, still have Dream Arena in MoT left), really enjoyed it.

Question - is that Kuon OVA any good?

Reactions: ExistentialThought

sanhora

Baldr Sky
Dec 7, 2018

Can't believe it's finally out. I imagine it'll be a while until we get the next game after this and who even knows if it's going to be 03 or IX.

Finished my Uta marathon two days ago (well, still have Dream Arena in MoT left), really enjoyed it.

There's a Kuon OVA?

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
There's a Kuon OVA?
Utawarerumono: Tusukuru-koujo no Karei Naru Hibi (2018 | OVA | White Fox | 1 episode)
AniDB AntiLeech - AniDB

A story of Kuon's childhood antics. Not recommended if you haven't finished playing Mask of Truth. A bonus from the premium edition of the Japanese release of Utawarerumono: A Lullaby for the Falling Ones, known in the west as Prelude to the Fallen.
It's a slice of life episode, much like the first OVA and quite fun to watch.

sanhora

Baldr Sky
Dec 7, 2018
Utawarerumono: Tusukuru-koujo no Karei Naru Hibi (2018 | OVA | White Fox | 1 episode)
AniDB AntiLeech - AniDB

A story of Kuon's childhood antics. Not recommended if you haven't finished playing Mask of Truth. A bonus from the premium edition of the Japanese release of Utawarerumono: A Lullaby for the Falling Ones, known in the west as Prelude to the Fallen.

It's a slice of life episode, much like the first OVA and quite fun to watch.
Yep, I went googling after I posted that and quickly found it. 13 minutes is way too short, but I'm always up for more Kuon hijinks, especially if it's with the Tuskur crew. Kuon was just as cute as she always is.

• Comfy

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Also, Shiravune announced that they'll be publishing the English and Chinese version of the Doukyuusei remake:

It looks pretty interesting, but unfortunately it will be a Johren (NSFW) exclusive.

• Comfy