Community The Visual Novel Council | All Choices Lead To Here

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
this kind of asinine thing is also something that does not inspire trust

edit: I sure am glad that my account also got nuked in the process

Try resetting your password, some people were able to get back in that way. But if it doesn't detect ur account that means it got nuked didn't make the migration either.

The most enjoyment I've gotten out of my day today is seeing how high this number can go.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
I'm never buying from them ever again, discard any positive thing I've ever said about JAST

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah, if three of us here are having issues and this is not even a support form, I have to imagine it is a widespread issue. They need to contact their DB manager and get ahead of this since it is only going to get messier if folks are having to go through Discord to resolve the issue.

That said, it again reconfirms my issues with purchasing outside of Steam.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
They finally let EU folks in, I could (after many reloads) buy the game, but now I am on the library page and it won't let me download anything.
Really shows the ease of use of Steam in comparison...

Edit: could start downloading at last (even if it's only at 10% of my 1000MB line)

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: ExistentialThought

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
They IP locked it to the U.S. atm to calm traffic down.

My issue is different though, I spoke to a mod and apparently they checked and my account didn't make the DB migration for the redesign that went live with Muramasa (who thought launching a full scale overhaul when traffic would be at it's highest and issues would inevitably pop up with sales/accounts, was a good idea????), so I'll have to wait for one of their engineers to fix my account.
That's like the dumbest idea ever, not very professional

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Yup, it's insane. Luckily for me i've only been a member for a year so i have all the emails with my purchases so i can just list them from that if i need to but what a pig's ear this has turned out to be. Having to rely on Mods on discord to manually fix accounts and migrate purchases is insane.

Did they buy their new back-end from EGS?

At the moment i'll still purchase from them because a one-stop DRM free, no-added censorship purchase is more appealing to me than buying on steam and having to wander around the internet looking for patches and maybe paying for them seperately.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
fyi, for anyone with deleted accounts JAST recommends just making a new one, then when they do the merge all your old stuff should be updated into the account. Just make sure u use the same email address

• Sad

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah, I heard from a mod to either make an account that they will add games I am missing OR wait for a database fix.

I am still baffled they launched a site redesign along migrating accounts on the same day as a big VN launch. I am just going to wait to see if it gets a Steam release.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
No way i ever buy anything else off their website/store, doesn’t matter how much I want it

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Just caught up with the whole saga, guess what? My account got nuked too. :flare_lmao:

What I don't get is that why don't they keep the primary key of the users/customers table the same? Nuke the hashed password field, fine. We're supposed to enter new passwords anyway as per PCI DSS security compliance, but database migration, while not exactly the most trivial thing in the world, it is also not the hardest if your backend is solid (from what I can tell, the site is hosted in AWS EC2, so rollbacks etc. is trivial).

Same case with our game inventory. The whole thing could've gone a lot smoother with staggered deployment. Right now it's just shambolic.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
The fact they made so many changes in one hit on the day they expected a huge amount of traffic to the site says to me that somebody was high on their own supply. Sure, it's nice to have a shiny new site and systems ready for a big release to wow everyone but anyone in I.T. knows it's a bad idea to put all those eggs in one basket. It just creates stress for everyone.

The site has been slow loading for me so i'm not bothering to check my account for a day or so when it's settled down and they've migrated more accounts across.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
So uh, amidst all this, how's Muramasa? :flare_lmao:

Does Steam Overlay works, resolution scaling option exists, etc?

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
So uh, amidst all this, how's Muramasa? :flare_lmao:

Does Steam Overlay works, resolution scaling option exists, etc?
I didn't mess with Steam overlay, but it's fairly basic in terms of options (as expected of a 12+ year old VN). Resolution options go up to 1080p with windowed and fullscreen options. It's unfortunately a bit blurry on higher resolution monitors. I guess maybe it'd look decent if you ran it through an AI upscaler but I generally don't mess with that stuff.

No significant issues on the technical side from the little I messed around with it. Localization is great so far, but that's what I expected from Makoto and Moogy as their work on the other Nitroplus stuff is great..

Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
It's unfortunately a bit blurry on higher resolution monitors.
Lossless Scaling to the rescue again, then. I always have trouble with VNs from late 2Ks because they're all ddraw/dx8/non-spec dx9. Steam Overlay compatibility with these things is spotty at best. To this day I can't get Majikoi to work with it, for example.

Reactions: skLaFarebear

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
FWIW resetting password worked for me. Lucky me because the 2 games I have on JAST are old and I didn't find a mail from that far back.

Kvik is Lossless Scaling still relevant if you have a Nvidia card that supports integer scaling ?

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
The shitty solution of re-registering implies that now they gotta readd all my games to the library and in case they can’t do it on their own I’m not sure what’s going to happen

they’re patently incompetent and their store is shit

• This!
  • Sad
Reactions: Cacher and Li Kao

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
is Lossless Scaling still relevant if you have a Nvidia card that supports integer scaling ?
One of the advantages of LS is that you can set up per-game settings via shortcuts. It also has the option for nearest neighbor scaling and added anti-aliasing. With NVCP integer scaling we don't have the same granularity, I don't think.

• Love
Reactions: Li Kao

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Looks like JAST fixed the library issue, I can now see my games.
It's still a work in progress from what employees are saying on Discord.
And aside from accounts, they still need to migrate order histories and goodness knows what else.

You really gotta wonder who thought it was a good idea to update the site at this point in time, despite them clearly not being ready to migrate existing data.

• Sad

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Just tried my login for JAST, reset my password and ... it changed with no problem. I've just logged in and it looks like all my games have transferred too. Phew. Glad i waited. Now i can add Muramasa to my backlog! Yay! oh...

• Comfy

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
  • Sad

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Yeah, My Order History and Wishlist is empty too but i have my 37 games at least. I kinda went mad during the Summer Sale they recently had, lol.
I'll double-check against my order emails but everything looks to be there.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Is the guide necessary in order not to be locked out of the final route/true ending? Like, whether there is a specific route order we need to follow or not.
I have only completed Hero Route in the past so I don't know how the routing works after Hero / Revenge Route, but here's the route order stated from the guide:

Hero Route / Revenge Route -> Both clear -> Demon Lord Route (Chachamaru / Muramasa ending variant) -> Devil Route

It looks like the Devil Route is available directly after finishing Demon Lord (Muramasa ending). Pretty complex.

• Eyes

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Is the guide necessary in order not to be locked out of the final route/true ending? Like, whether there is a specific route order we need to follow or not.
From what I hear (from randos and JAST stafff) there is no need for a guide and the recommendation is to just play it blind.

• Comfy

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
'In the near future, a technology called Brain-Machine Interface connects the brain and machines.'
I'm shook, never saw it coming. You have a way with words, sir :coffee-blob:

/jk

Last edited:

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I've read through the prologue and a little bit of Chapter 1 of Muramasa last night. I like it a lot. The duel was intense.

I was thinking that it would be very nice if the appendix is implemented in-game (like Tips in Sci;Adv games, for example). Currently, I would have to look through the pdf to know more about tsurugi or what raito means.

I guess it's not a big deal since I have my tablet anyway. Just QoL things, I suppose.

• Comfy
Reactions: Cacher

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I've read through the prologue and a little bit of Chapter 1 of Muramasa last night. I like it a lot. The duel was intense.

I was thinking that it would be very nice if the appendix is implemented in-game (like Tips in Sci;Adv games, for example). Currently, I would have to look through the pdf to know more about tsurugi or what raito means.

I guess it's not a big deal since I have my tablet anyway. Just QoL things, I suppose.
B-B-but I read VNs on my tablet (through SteamLink).
:negative-blob:

• Toucan

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
  • Sad
Reactions: Kvik and Cacher

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Picked up Muramasa, Oppai Academy and G-Collections "DOR" at the weekend to expand my library of cultural knowledge and credentials.
Expensive but Muramasa at least seems definitely worth it. Lord knows when i'll get around to reading them though.

Last edited:

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Picked up Muramasa, Oppai Academy and G-Collections "DOR"at the weekend to expand my library of cultural knowledge and credentials.
Expensive but Muramasa at least seems definitely worth it. Lord knows when i'll get around to reading them though.
Still early on, but I've been thoroughly enjoying Muramasa a lot so far. Chapter 1 was fantastic in ways I was absolutely not expecting. Hope you enjoy it as well!

Oppai Academy was definitely worth it too

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Would be nice if someone could rescue the PC version from their hard drives
I think a few months back Hollow Moon TL expressed interest in localising it once they've finished with Mahoyo, but they haven't say anything since.

Picked up Muramasa, Oppai Academy and G-Collections "DOR" at the weekend to expand my library of cultural knowledge and credentials.
I never knew DOR has a Windows version, let alone English-localised. I hope they kept the old art style and FM sound.

Chapter 1 was fantastic in ways I was absolutely not expecting.
Muramasa chapter 1 I certainly didn't expect that lesson in aerodynamics with aerial sword combat application. :flare_lmao:But that was a hard to read chapter for me personally because, you know...

Speaking of which, chapter 1 it's a bit weird to me that they watermarked the H-CG. I didn't recall Saya no Uta ever did the same.

Reason: found the tweet
Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: Cacher

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Kvik Here's the JAST link. I'm posting it as a link in case an NSFW image appears. Also, NSFW with danger of Booba obviously don't click at work.
The graphics look identical, can't say anything about the music though as i haven't tried it yet.

JAST - G-Collections "DOR"

When they put back the "JAST USA Browser Classics" i'll post a link.

• Comfy

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Muramasa chapter 1 I certainly didn't expect that lesson in aerodynamics with aerial sword combat application. :flare_lmao:But that was a hard to read chapter for me personally because, you know...

Speaking of which, chapter 1 it's a bit weird to me that they watermarked the H-CG. I didn't recall Saya no Uta ever did the same.
What really made chapter 1 of Muramasa for me was
the total betrayal of the modern expectations you'd see from both eroge and the shonen genre on the whole. The last scene with Yuuhi and Muramasa was masterfully done, delivering powerfully on the theme of the story and not to mention the visual direction of the scene itself, having it all play out from the shadows on the lawn. You usually don't see this kind of attention to direction in visual novels, but I very much appreciated it here.

• Comfy
Reactions: Cacher and Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
What really made chapter 1 of Muramasa for me was
Moments such as the one you described is what makes Muramasa is such a gripping read. It just demands your attention in the way that other VNs attempted to do, but most has failed. Not to mention that the English prose is really good so far. A good pick of old English vocabulary and romaji terms somehow worked well here, much to my surprise, because I generally dislike it in other games.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Finished Chapter 2 of Muramasa last night.

Still a gripping tale I could not put down, but fuck me if it wasn't a harrowing read. I still don't know what to make of Muramasa's "Law of Balance" thing. Does Kageaki had to kill anyone who comes in contact or is in close proximity to his tsurugi regardless whether they are "good" or "evil" to keep this "balance"? If so, why did he spare Ichijo? Or Otori? Since both has shown him kindness. Sparing Sorimachi was definitely the wrong move, although Kageki has no way of knowing how deep Sorimachi's ties to the GHQ is. Still, poor Yagenta and the Emishi family didn't deserve it.

The musha combat between Yagenta and Ukyo is an interesting one. Very good use of foreshadowing too, since Yagenta defended Ichijo from Ukyo's strike once before in the cemetary. Also, the armouring rites is similar to Muramasa's, and it seems Ichijou is now in possession of it?

Anyway, lots of questions, but I imagine it will be answered in time. I kind of wish we had a book club for this.