Community The Visual Novel Council | All Choices Lead To Here

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
This was updated to v2.1. I'll jump in for a full play, it's grade A professional stuff like the Mother 3 translation.

The first Game Boy mini game riddled Sakura Wars VN was translated too. How many GB VNs are there?
Great game, and the sequel is even better. But my favorite is the third game. :blobevening:

The other VN on GB that I know is Pocket Love series. It plays like Tokimeki series. Haven't played any of it though.

Reactions: Alextended

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
This was updated to v2.1. I'll jump in for a full play, it's grade A professional stuff like the Mother 3 translation.
Thanks for the info, tested it on Steam Deck using Retroarch setup by the emudeck.com app. Saturn emulation has come a long way, runs great on the Steam Deck, with rare audio issues (some crackling every now and then).

Reactions: Alextended

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Finished Setsuko route of KoiTate. I think she is meant to be the real main girl of the game.
Setsuko is like the reflection when Shuji / Taeko looks into the mirror. They are two sides of the same coin. Setsuko being the assassin while Taeko is the bodyguard. Both were orphans, raised in an unforgiving environment and taught to be loyal and committing to their missions. They understand each other too well and have no intention to fight yet have no other choice on their hands.

Not necessarily the most creative idea out there, but the writer handles the relationships well enough, and I really enjoy the dynamics between the two. Also, she contributes for the best CGs of the game.

Three routes done, two routes left. So far my favorite character is Ren but Setsuko is a close second. Yukino is good, too. I am going to take a break and play something else. Really enjoyed the game so far although all the personal routes felt a bit too short. Wished there are more romance between the couples so I don't need to make them up inside my head haha.

• Eyes
Reactions: 「Echo」

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Technically not really a VN anymore, but Monochrome Mobius (from the Uta VN trilogy) is getting a WW localization

Steam page already up

For the people who aren't familiar with it, it takes place between the 10 year or so gap between the first game, Prelude of the Fallen and the second game, Mask of Deception. It stars characters from the latter entry as main characters with a new heroine + characters.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
In this thread, we worship at the church of Munechika.

The “younger” character designs will take some getting used to.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I haven't heard of Minaguchi Yuko's voice in years. Good to hear that she is still able to play as the role of the main girl.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
I haven't heard of Minaguchi Yuko's voice in years. Good to hear that she is still able to play as the role of the main girl.
She shows up fairly frequently to voice a character named Tweyen in Granblue Fantasy so I'm used to hearing her voice pretty often. Her voice is very distinct (and great) so it's easy to notice when she's voicing someone

• Comfy
Reactions: Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
She shows up fairly frequently to voice a character named Tweyen in Granblue Fantasy so I'm used to hearing her voice pretty often. Her voice is very distinct (and great) so it's easy to notice when she's voicing someone
Last time I heard of her voice was playing Trail in the Sky as she voiced Kloe. Yeah that's long time ago. :ROFLMAO:

Love her voice.

Reactions: skLaFarebear

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
New alicesoft release
Splitting the NTR route into its own game is something that I can appreciate because I dislike NTR and wouldn't wishlist it otherwise. :flare_smirk:

EDIT: Apparently there's prologue which is free to own. (NSFW)

Last edited:

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
New alicesoft release here (nsfw)

Looks like a WW release that's self published by Alicesoft again, available on all the typical VN storefront besides Steam. Even if it's a milfge, its nice to see that they're doing WW releases for new entries and I happen to be a milf enjoyer.
Kinda wonder if Alicesoft even tried to publish it on Steam or if they feel burned. It does not seem like the type of release that Valve would block considering what they allow from Norn & Cherry Kiss.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Golden Week sales have started. Should start to see more as the weekend comes up.

Splitting the NTR route into its own game is something that I can appreciate because I dislike NTR and wouldn't wishlist it otherwise. :flare_smirk:

EDIT: Apparently there's prologue which is free to own. (NSFW)

Eroge focused Alicesoft games are very much about having "avoidable NTR" and it's usually only there as a lose condition in most of their games that have it, so even people that dislike it can still enjoy them.

Kinda wonder if Alicesoft even tried to publish it on Steam or if they feel burned. It does not seem like the type of release that Valve would block considering what they allow from Norn & Cherry Kiss.
It'd be nice if they tried, but considering how much the rejection set back their evenicle 2 plans I can kinda understand why they decided to skip on a game like this. It's still a miracle that evenicle 1 made it on Steam tbh.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
They didn't discount Rance Quest? Mangagamer pls. :flare_sleepy:
Don't worry I'm sure that once my prayer circle is finally answered and they announce Rance 03 + Rance IX release date at ACen it'll be accompanied with sales on the franchise.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik
OP
Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I finished AI: The Somnium Files!
That was a ride for sure. My head is still spinning. The humor didn't always land for me, but overall I had a very good time.
Looks like the pseudo Golden Week sale is still going, so maybe I'll find another VN to pick up :thinking-face:

I need Baldr Sky to go on sale again.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Counting for both hands --- exactly five fingers! (if you can call them fingers)

Looks like CoZ updated their C;C patch recently, let's see what's in it.

That's all sounds great … but wait a minute, what's that last item saying:

Come the fuck on.
I guess this means we can expect honorifics coming out of all orifices for C;H N as well going forward. :mion_angery:

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Do you have a copy of Tsukihime, Rose Guns Days, Kanon or other old VNs with DirectDraw/DX6 ? Keen to see if it actually boots up and have the Steam Overlay working with it.
Unfortunately none of the above. Didn't get to do too much testing so far, but the oldest VN I got working so far was Sengoku Rance, which worked pretty flawlessly in Game Mode with my edited controller profile setup. Didn't even need to use Proton GE or Experimental to get it running either. Gonna give some of the older Rance games a try this week as well as a few other old ones like F/HA. I know the latter is definitely gonna require a bit of work.

• Comfy

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Kvik I tried Rose Gun Days, and while the original, Japanese version runs fine (even under Game mode), sadly the patched one gets stuck on a black screen (doesn't seem to load the assets, because it briefly shows the translator's logo, which is stored in a separate arc file).

Last edited:
  • Sad

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
the patched one gets stuck on a black screen
RGD has the same engine as Umineko, right? Well, perhaps an old version of it anyway.

Since Umineko has native linux support, maybe it's not totally impossible to put together a linux executable for RGD. :flare_think:

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
RGD has the same engine as Umineko, right? Well, perhaps an old version of it anyway.

Since Umineko has native linux support, maybe it's not totally impossible to put together a linux executable for RGD. :flare_think:
It should be doable to finangle Wine/Proton to support the game - it runs, does show the TL group logo, etc.
The issue is that the OG game has 2 datafiles, arc.nsa and arc1.nsa, while the fanTL uses arc.nsa put in a separate subfolder. I'm guessing there's some pathing or filename case issue here at work.
If fanTL used, say, patch.nsa and installed inside the game dir it'd work out right.
Sadly, I lack means to debug stuff like this... Maybe some Linux gurus here could help? If not, you can always stream or dualboot from Windows.
EDIT
Scratch that, managed to get it to work, just needed some batch file massaging:

Last edited:

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018
I finished All the Words She Wrote by ebi-hime, was very interested in how it delved into a debate on schools of literary critique between Death of the Author and Works Should be Judged by How Cute the Characters Are.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
From KEY. Sept. 30th, 2022 PC version.
They have a Switch VN coming in June also that will have English
Romeo Tanaka in charge of scenario. He worked on Rewrite, I think.

The Switch VN -- which one was it again? LOOPERS? :flare_think:

We're still waiting for the official localisation of Angel Beats and SP Reflection Blue. But at this stage, we might as well pick up the fan translations instead.

• Comfy

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Romeo Tanaka in charge of scenario. He worked on Rewrite, I think.

The Switch VN -- which one was it again? LOOPERS? :flare_think:

We're still waiting for the official localisation of Angel Beats and SP Reflection Blue. But at this stage, we might as well pick up the fan translations instead.
Yeah Loopers, that was it. I'm hoping the EN Switch version also means a Steam version at some point, basically for all 3 of these VN's. (Loopers, Lunaria, and Stella). 🤞

• Comfy

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Yeah Loopers, that was it. I'm hoping the EN Switch version also means a Steam version at some point, basically for all 3 of these VN's. (Loopers, Lunaria, and Stella). 🤞
Or, given C;H debacle, we might be entering another dark age of PC English VNs...
Valve curation might have scared all Japanese publishers away... :negative-blob:

• Sad

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
A fan translation release (only the first out of three games so far). Scenario by Kinugasa Shougo, most recently worked on Meteor World Actor and its sequel.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
A fan translation release (only the first out of three games so far). Scenario by Kinugasa Shougo, most recently worked on Meteor World Actor and its sequel.

Read it before. Fun game, but every route ends pretty sudden. As expected from Kinugasa work.

• Comfy

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Was a bitch to do, but was able to successfully move my Rance 01 and Evenicle (non Steam) save files over from my PC to my Steam Deck. Next I'll figure out how to set up syncing between my PC's save directory and my Deck's save directory, but I won't worry about that till I start playing something on there that I want to share between the two.

I've heard good things about Syncthing specifically.

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Colorado, USA
Finally decided to start playing Fata Morgana now that I got my Steam Deck and it’s incredible. I’m not finished so I’m not ready to go into spoilers but this is incredible. I’m on Chapter 5 right now and I had literal tears in my eyes last night because the story is just that good. My experience with VNs is mostly non traditional stuff like Danganronpa, so I’m trying to expand my horizons. The only other traditional VN I have played is Steins;Gate.