Community The Visual Novel Council | All Choices Lead To Here

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
It's been a while..

Wonder how they were able to save this from Sol Press hell considering the owner went ghost? Obviously they must've been using the Sol Press TL considering it's 100% TLed and edited which is where it was left off.

Well hopefully this means some company managed to salvage the rights to Newton and the TL for Nukitashi which was also at 100% TL/editing.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
It's been 84 years.gif

And still no Milestone 2 side below in sight...

No Videos and some backgrounds missing on Steam Deck (tested with Proton Experimental and GE Proton), so I am playing this on my Surface 😢

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
It's been 84 years.gif

And still no Milestone 2 side below in sight...

No Videos and some backgrounds missing on Steam Deck (tested with Proton Experimental and GE Proton), so I am playing this on my Surface 😢
This small dev team (Alice in Dissonance are iirc just a writer and the artist) is really cursed with the hired programming contractors. In addition to the problems on Steam Deck, this release has unusually long black screens while scene transitioning. More than once I thought the game crashed on me, but it was "just" a minute plus loading.
And while the story and characters are still good (if you remember any of them from 7+ years ago back when the last release happened), I just can't get over the timeline of the released games. The first chapter released in August of 2013. They split up the second chapter of the main series "fault" into a very short Part A (aka "side above", released September 2015). Then they delay Part B ("side below") to start working on a prequel ("Silence the Pedant"). They release a (pretty good and long) demo for that prequel in June 2017 with a planned release later that year. A month (or less, I cannot remember), they delay that prequel undefinedly. Four and a half years later they announce a spin-off of the never released prequel. Who does something like that?

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
Wow, it's nearly 10 years since the first game had been released? Makes me feel super old. I liked the series but will hold off until Part B is out, should be good indicator of whether the dev have managed to recover semi-decent development process.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Looking through my VN backlog and wishlist

In the interest of my time, anything that would be easy to cut out?

13 Sentinels Aegis Rim
428: Shibuya Scramble
Corpse Party series
Fullmetal Demon Muramasa
Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
Iwaihime
Kara no Shoujo series
Loopers
Raging Loop
Robotics;Notes series
Root Double -Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition
Seventh Lair
Spirit Hunter series
Yu-No
Zero Escape series
World's End Club

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
fwiw, the current version on JAST is about 40% voiced (tho there is a patch to add the voices from the PS2 version but still isn't fully voiced), the 11 or so movies/CGs don't work without installing video codecs and even then ymmv, and best of all, playing the ps2 version lets you avoid the horrid h-scenes.

The JAST version isn't terrible, I still greatly enjoyed my time with Demonbane, but I'd highly recommend this version of the game.

• Eyes
Reactions: 「Echo」

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
The JAST version isn't terrible, I still greatly enjoyed my time with Demonbane, but I'd highly recommend this version of the game.
Do you know if the patch is compatible with the DMM version?

I hope JAST will localise the sequel one day.

EDIT: I asked in Discord and one of the folks there said it's compatible.

Last edited:
  • This!
Reactions: 「Echo」

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
There's a 15% discount on DLSite today, so I was having a look see....

:mion_barf:
I always knew Key VNs are expensive, but $70/each after discount is :flare_woozy:
That's a lot of VNs, you see a lot release for around 8-10k yen, even the nukiges.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
The original Summer Pockets took me about 90 hours to complete. Reflection Blue could easily add another 30 hours there, so it's not like I'm not getting my money's worth (the assets of Summer Pockets are in 1080p res as well)

I just wish they're a lot cheaper considering their age. :flare_mogu:

Reflection Blue maybe makes sense since it's only two years old, but Angel beats is what-- 7-8 years old by now?

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
Looking through my VN backlog and wishlist

In the interest of my time, anything that would be easy to cut out?

13 Sentinels Aegis Rim
428: Shibuya Scramble
Corpse Party series
Fullmetal Demon Muramasa
Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
Iwaihime
Kara no Shoujo series
Loopers
Raging Loop
Robotics;Notes series
Root Double -Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition
Seventh Lair
Spirit Hunter series
Yu-No
Zero Escape series
World's End Club
Take out Loopers, and I really haven't enjoyed World's End Club as well.

Reactions: AHA-Lambda

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019

Take a deep dive into the highly-anticipated video game adaptation of Made in Abyss. Open the door to delusions with the CHAOS;HEAD NOAH / CHAOS;CHILD DOUBLE PACK for Nintendo Switch. The Spike Chunsoft, Inc. team is also preparing to announce some exciting news about a new title.
PC port please.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I think they will, Spike chunsoft western branch seems to be pretty good at PC support. But also the way things have been lately, I'm kinda weary and throwing my hands up lol. Just can't tell anymore. For some reason even in Japan, PC has been losing out on VN's lately and it makes no sense...

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
I think they will, Spike chunsoft western branch seems to be pretty good at PC support. But also the way things have been lately, I'm kinda weary and throwing my hands up lol. Just can't tell anymore. For some reason even in Japan, PC has been losing out on VN's lately and it makes no sense...
There's more money in console releases (switch specifically) if ur game isn't an eroge in JP. Or even in some cases, releasing a sfw version on console and the eroge version on PC.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
It's getting harder to NOT jump to DLSite right this minute and grab it. :flare_think:

EDIT: Website is down, lmao. :flare_lmao: Discord it is then.

EDIT2: Fuck it. YOLO. Bought. :flare_utawaku:

Last edited:

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
There's no doubt A;C will get a loc and we won't need to wait too long for it either after it's release, judging by past locs timeframes for sci;adv games not named C;H. The better question is, going off past history, will it actually be good and how long will it take for CoZ to fix it when it's a dumpster fire like every non S;G localization.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I for one am looking forward to another VN skipping Steam for Western release.
I mean, Switch and PS4 should be good enough for everyone, right?
:negative-blob:

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
I for one am looking forward to another VN skipping Steam for Western release.
I mean, Switch and PS4 should be good enough for everyone, right?
:negative-blob:
Are there really that many except for hundreds of otome VNs from Aksys on Switch? 13 Sentinels (if it counts), Mahoyo, Root Film, World End Syndrome. NoaH is probably coming and so is Loopers apparently?

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Are there really that many except for hundreds of otome VNs from Aksys on Switch? 13 Sentinels (if it counts), Mahoyo, Root Film, World End Syndrome. NoaH is probably coming and so is Loopers apparently?
Mahoyo hasn't even been officially confirmed for an EN release yet (only that the JP version will have EN text in it).

I think we'll start to hear a lot more about future releases coming up, since AX tends to be the Visual Novel community's version of E3. MG, JAST, Denpasoft (which by extension means SP iirc), and I believe NN all have panels there, as well as the bigger devs like Aniplex and Spike Chunsoft, so hopefully some PC/Steam ports are confirmed during the panels in addition to new announcements.

• Comfy

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Technically Total Eclipse started with 6 Light Novels. The Videogame was planned next, and was intended to be the story conclusion. It got delayed from 2012 to 2013 however when the Artist was fired and work had to spread out.

There's also a Total Eclipse manga still in serialization. 😅

Either way, I don't think it's accurate to call it an anime spin off when the anime was the last interpretation and possibly has a made up ending. :thinking-face:

• Comfy

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Afaik TE didn't even adapt the last arc/ending of the VN so even if you did watch the show it'd be worth it just to see the actual last arc/conclusion to the story. And you know, for the better characterization, writing, etc. that comes from reading Muv-Luv vs watching it.

• Comfy

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Technically Total Eclipse started with 6 Light Novels. The Videogame was planned next, and was intended to be the story conclusion. It got delayed from 2012 to 2013 however when the Artist was fired and work had to spread out.

There's also a Total Eclipse manga still in serialization. 😅

Either way, I don't think it's accurate to call it an anime spin off when the anime was the last interpretation and possibly has a made up ending. :thinking-face:
This franchise is wild, thanks for the explanation. I am always up for more Muv Luv, but the Unlimited universe with Day After was a bit too much despair (only read Chapter 1 so far) :cryblob:

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
This franchise is wild, thanks for the explanation. I am always up for more Muv Luv, but the Unlimited universe with Day After was a bit too much despair (only read Chapter 1 so far) :cryblob:
In defense of TDA, Episode 00 is probably the most "heavy" of the 4 so far. The main cast in 01-03 is considerably much more light hearted and there's some fucking amazing comedic moments between the lot of them. Despite TDA arguably being the worst timeline/bad ending of the Muv-Luv universe, it's not quite as dark as you'd think. Not to say there isn't extreme despair and some heartbreaking moments between the cast later on. 03 especially left me a husk on more than one occasion.

One thing I'll mention about TE is that if you're not in a rush to read it, I'd hold off, at least until the devs themselves or someone else releases a patch to translate Teito Moyu, which is effectively the prequel to the story that focuses on one of the MC's, Yui, and her Cadet days before TE. It's pretty important stuff, probably even more than Last Divers was for TDA.

• Comfy

GhostTrick

Banned
Oct 20, 2018
In defense of TDA, Episode 00 is probably the most "heavy" of the 4 so far. The main cast in 01-03 is considerably much more light hearted and there's some fucking amazing comedic moments between the lot of them. Despite TDA arguably being the worst timeline/bad ending of the Muv-Luv universe, it's not quite as dark as you'd think. Not to say there isn't extreme despair and some heartbreaking moments between the cast later on. 03 especially left me a husk on more than one occasion.

One thing I'll mention about TE is that if you're not in a rush to read it, I'd hold off, at least until the devs themselves or someone else releases a patch to translate Teito Moyu, which is effectively the prequel to the story that focuses on one of the MC's, Yui, and her Cadet days before TE. It's pretty important stuff, probably even more than Last Divers was for TDA.

There is a misconception that Teito Moyu should be readed first because of the anime starting with it.
Meanwhile the game first released without TM, which was adapted from the anime for the PC port, which was meant to be played AFTER TE, according to the chapter select order.

Reactions: skLaFarebear

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
There is a misconception that Teito Moyu should be readed first because of the anime starting with it.
Meanwhile the game first released without TM, which was adapted from the anime for the PC port, which was meant to be played AFTER TE, according to the chapter select order.
I always went by what other people said so I had no idea Teito Moyu was released afterwards. It'd still be nice to have both available on Steam/PC one day since it's still part of the full experience.

Reactions: GhostTrick

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
I’m gonna post a reddit link with instructions on how to install patches for VN on proton

the link is for oppai academy but i guess it can work with any VN so maybe it might be useful to others

GhostTrick

Banned
Oct 20, 2018
I always went by what other people said so I had no idea Teito Moyu was released afterwards. It'd still be nice to have both available on Steam/PC one day since it's still part of the full experience.

It'd be amazing indeed. But I don't think it's happening. Maybe they'll release it as a standalone or with other releases. Keep in mind that, while Teito Moyu is 2 episodes long in the anime, it's nearly 15 hours long as a game.

It also has crazy high production values:

Reactions: skLaFarebear