|OT| This is the Anime Thread, Darling~~

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Forgive me, but how is that remarkable? Weren't these out in 1080p, remastered, director's cut, etc already?
As far as I am aware there has not been an English release on disc of Evangelion since at least 2004, owing to the still relatively sky high prices of the Platinum Collection DVDs in the 2nd hand market.

Reactions: Swenhir
OP
Hektor

Hektor

CHIE SATONAKA ON STEAM
Nov 1, 2018
Yea, blu-rays only existed in japan, without english subs. I'm absolutely gonna buy these

Reactions: AHA-Lambda

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Swenhir , just to give an idea the limited edition Japanese blu-ray box was priced at 38K JPY (approx $500 AUD) on its release in 2015. It's out of the price range for most people, combined with the fact that it doesn't come with English subtitles and the lack of availability in the west, a proper HD Evangelion release in the west remained elusive until Netflix licensed it.

Hopefully this new BD transfer is using the same material from the JP release though.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Swenhir , just to give an idea the limited edition Japanese blu-ray box was priced at 38K JPY (approx $500 AUD) on its release in 2015. It's out of the price range for most people, combined with the fact that it doesn't come with English subtitles and the lack of availability in the west, a proper HD Evangelion release in the west remained elusive until Netflix licensed it.

Hopefully this new BD transfer is using the same material from the JP release though.
That price is mind boggling, and on par with the kind of stuff these firms get up to with artificial scarcity I guess. I can certainly understand why people would torrent rather than buy at these prices :/.

Reactions: Kvik

SaberVS7

Jan 23, 2020
Just got done bingeing all three seasons of Date a Live...

That was uh... A surprisingly good anime all things considered, relative to the low bar set for "Harem LN Adaptation" over the past few years.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Watched half(?) of Fruits Basket S2 now and it's really not grabbing me as much as the first season.

2nd season seems to be focusing much more of the mystery elements rather than the fun and cheerful stuff that S1 excelled at.
Also, likely cos of the way I watch most TV nowadays but I don't think the weekly format works when the focus of the plot is the mystery, and I enjoyed binge watching S1 and its lighter elements much more.

prudis

Friendly Neighborhood Toucan
Sep 19, 2018
The Kingdom of Bohemia
twitter.com
AHA-Lambda i am catched up ... and not really seeing that (maybe i just forgot parts of first half)... seems to be pretty much the same to me with the mystical focus .. one thing i noticed in S2 they are going hard to further focus on more of the side characters such as potencial partners for known chars or zodiac members , their history and stuff rather than on the main trio , even though the main trio got some hard character development aswell.

prudis

Friendly Neighborhood Toucan
Sep 19, 2018
The Kingdom of Bohemia
twitter.com
new Anime from Studio Trigger
We're excited to announce that together with an acclaimed Japan-based animation company, Studio Trigger, and the world's leading streaming entertainment service, Netflix, we're working on a new original anime series set in the same universe as Cyberpunk 2077!

CYBERPUNK: EDGERUNNERS tells a standalone, 10-episode story about a street kid trying to survive in a technology and body modification-obsessed city of the future. Having everything to lose, he chooses to stay alive by becoming an edgerunner—a mercenary outlaw also known as a cyberpunk.
The series will premiere in 2022.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
new Anime from Studio Trigger
This is the perfect excuse to remind people that Anime and Cyberpunk are one of the greatest things on earth. Trigger being on the case with hopefully someone actually writing a coherent story for them is amazing news.

Reactions: Kvik
OP
Hektor

Hektor

CHIE SATONAKA ON STEAM
Nov 1, 2018
Directed by the same director as Kill La Kill, TTGL

Also, i recently watched promare recently and goddamn, it's all the biggest flaws and strenghts of Trigger in a nutshell.
Stunning to watch, but dumb as fuck and a story without ideas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kvik and Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Also, i recently watched promare recently and goddamn, it's all the biggest flaws and strenghts of Trigger in a nutshell.
Stunning to watch, but dumb as fuck and a story without ideas.
Pretty much. I dropped out of their last mecha anime whose name I can't remember because of it. It was going nowhere.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Pretty much. I dropped out of their last mecha anime whose name I can't remember because of it. It was going nowhere.
SSSS.Gridman? It's kind of fun for a few episodes, but the overarching story leave a lot to be desired.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
heh , i would rate it the other way ... that i wasnt in throughout first few episodes , but loved it by the end :)
Also helps i have a thing for tokusatsu :face-savouring-delicious-food:
Oh, don't get me wrong. The mecha fights were awesome. It just that I feel the story could've been so much more. Maybe it needs 24 episodes, I dunno. :dana_joy:

Ascheroth

Writing in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Darling in the Franxx, after a quick search :)
Wasn't a fan of Franxx either, didn't finish it.
Though there was one really excellent episode I remember, I think it was 12? The one about the past.

----
SSSS.Gridman was awesome. I agree the ending was kinda underwhelming, but I loved the ride.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Wasn't a fan of Franxx either, didn't finish it.
Though there was one really excellent episode I remember, I think it was 12? The one about the past.

----
SSSS.Gridman was awesome. I agree the ending was kinda underwhelming, but I loved the ride.
Thanks, I stopped at ep 10 so I'll watch that one :).

Jim_Cacher

Jun 3, 2020
I only remember Akane and Rikka... Pretty telling of the quality of Gridman's story and tokusatsu element:face-with-cold-sweat:

OP
Hektor

Hektor

CHIE SATONAKA ON STEAM
Nov 1, 2018
I mean

DitfXX is technically bad show in so far the action isn't all that great and the writing is off

but

Goddamn, do i love 02.

And i don't just mean as a waifu (but that too) but i think the story between her and hiro is (unintentionally or not) a very well made example of an abusive relationship through a person that just doesn't know how to show her affection better, and i don't think you see this kind of relationship depicted in media all that often, let alone anime

Mutant Strawberry

Jul 1, 2020
Hey, fellow weebs!
Just a reminder that Anime Expo starts Friday, July 3rd and because of COVID all panels will be livestreamed.
The World Ends With You anime trailer will be premiered there, among other things.

Last edited:

Jim_Cacher

Jun 3, 2020
Tell me, who is the mad lad who will get this?

• Eyes
Reactions: prudis