|OT| This is the Anime Thread, Darling~~

OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Glad I finally watched it. :)
Glad you liked it!

It's often said the Show is Propaganda by Shinzo Abe because of the subliminal messaging that all the adults live unhappy lifes because they can't have children, where as the Kids in the Show find true happiness after romances and heartbreaks when they grow up and do have children at the end, in an attempt to prevent Japans birthrates from declining further.

Obviously the Propaganda by Shinzo Abe is said as a joke, however the message is definitely in the Show.

Reactions: 「Echo」

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Ah lol, that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard? No wonder it didn't cross my mind. :p

Anywho, think I'm gonna go back to watching old stuff for a bit and start Escaflowne, the series, than maybe check out the movie to see the differences.

OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Ah lol, that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard? No wonder it didn't cross my mind. :p

Anywho, think I'm gonna go back to watching old stuff for a bit and start Escaflowne, the series, than maybe check out the movie to see the differences.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Name your favorite anime by year, from 2000 to 2019. It only counts if the anime ended or started in the year you select.

I'll do mine tomorrow since I have the day off, although there might be some empty spots in the last couple years since I haven't kept up too much with modern stuff.

Last edited:
OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Requiring the Anime to also have ended that year makes this really specific and hard tho
Like, Kill la Kill ran from 2013 to 2014. And what about Anime with multiple seasons?

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Requiring the Anime to also have ended that year makes this really specific and hard tho
Like, Kill la Kill ran from 2013 to 2014. And what about Anime with multiple seasons?
Well it supposed to be a little hard since you're picking one anime per year... It's supposed to make you really think which was your favorite!

Multiple seasons... depends on rule 1. Like Black Lagoon in 2006 is technically a season 1 of 12 episodes, and season 2 of 12 episodes, but they both aired in 2006 so you can combine them into one! But on the other hand, Ghost in the Shell SAC and SAC 2nd Gig are seperated by over a year, so they should count as separate entities.

I adjusted it the first stipulation to "...must have ended or started in that year."

just putting it out there, but 02 VA is the same as Raikou, Tomatsu Haruka
Oh, this isn't lost on me. :)

Hektor has a hard enough time staying away from Gacha though lol. I wonder which Seiyuu are his weakpoints!?

My top 10 Seiyuu:
  • Mitsuishi, Kotono
  • Sakamoto, Maaya
  • Uchida, Maaya
  • Shintani, Mayumi
  • Toyoguchi, Megumi
  • Asumi, Kana
  • Kawasumi, Ayako
  • Koshimizu, Ami
  • Saito, Chiwa
  • Nonaka, Ai

Not ranked, but that top 3 would probably stay exactly as is if it were. But well I do like Uchida more for her Video Game roles than anime ones. (Zero from DoD3 for example.)

OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
2000 - I don't think i watched anything from this year if Wikipedia is anything to go by
2001 - I don't think i watched anything from this year if Wikipedia is anything to go by
2002 - Naruto (i would call myself hate-loving, but i'm too deep in not to list that, it's the only 5+ season anime i was actually invested in)
2003 - I don't think i watched anything from this year if Wikipedia is anything to go by
2004 - Ghost in The Shell Standalone Complex 2nd Gig
2005 - Samurai Champloo
2006 - Black Lagoon
2007 - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
2008 - Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei S2
2009 - K-On!
2010 - Durarara i guess, haven't watched a lot from this year.
2011 - Nichijou
2012 - Girls Und Panzer
2013 - Kill La Kill
2014 - Terror in Resonance
2015 - Shirobako
2016 - Konosuba Season 1
2017 - Little Witch Academia
2018 - Zombie Land Saga and Darling in the Franxx, can't decide (Or Devilman Crybaby???)
2019 - Still ongoing, only watched AoTS3.5 and Vinland Saga yet

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

To be honest, i don't really pay that much attention to voice actors.
But if i had to pick some favorites:

Ami Koshimizu (Ryuko Matoi, Ibuki Mioda)
Romi Park (Ragyo Kyruin, Hange Zoe)
Saki Fujita (Ymir)

Essentially i just like female voices that sound like they can beat me up :3

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
  • 2000 - Zoids: Guardian Force.
  • 2001 - Noir. (Honorable Mention: Mahoromatic)
  • 2002 - Haibane Renmei. (Honorable Mention: RahXephon)
  • 2003 - Texhnolyze
  • 2004 - Elfen Lied (Honorable Mention: Samurai Champloo)
  • 2005 - Basilisk (Honorable Mention: Blood+)
  • 2006 - Ergo Proxy (Honorable Mention: Black Lagoon, Welcome to the NHK)
  • 2007 - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (Honorable Mention: Baccano! , Eva Rebuild 1.01, Darker than Black)
  • 2008 - Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei S2 (Honorable Mention: Code Geass R2, Kara No Kyoukai Movie 5)
  • 2009 - Eva Rebuild 2.0 (Honorable Mention: Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Phantom: Requiem)
  • 2010 - Katanagatari (Angels Beats made me cry tho, so tempted to call it a tie?)
  • 2011 - Fate/Zero (Honorable Mention: Madoka)
  • 2012 - Pyscho-Pass (Honorable Mention: Eva 3,0, Girls Und Panzer, Jormungand +S2)
  • 2013 - Kill La Kill (Honorable Mention: Attack on Titan)
  • 2014 - Fate/Stay Night: UBW (Only thing from 2014 I've watched)
  • 2015 - Ghost in the Shell: ARISE (Ended in 2015, so I marathoned the movies)
  • 2016 - Haven't watched anything from 2016.
  • 2017 - Little Witch Academia (Only thing from 2017 I've watched)
  • 2018 - Darling in the Franxx (Only thing from 2018 I've watched)
  • 2019 - Haven't watched anything from 2019.

As you can see, I've really fallen off the anime train the last couple years, since 2013ish I would say I only watch about 2-3 series per year and nowadays it's mostly digging through older stuff rather than checking whats new.

Part of the reason I asked everyone to make a list like this is just to see what fan-favorites I am missing from these modern times.

Can I join in? I'm curious to see what else I enjoyed in the past. I might need anidb's help though. I have memories like a gold fish.
Yeah absolutely, everyone can!

Old man Knurek , ZKenir , Ascheroth , and maybe Durante too...

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Old man Knurek , ZKenir , Ascheroth , and maybe Durante too...
Was already writing while you posted that :p

Starting date allowed makes this a lot easier (not the ranking itself, but finding out which shows count for which year :p)

I haven't watched much 2000-2005, so those choices are sometimes the only thing I watched in that year.
2006-2010 was a bit more but also not that much, and it looks like 2011+ I started watching tons of stuff.

2000: Digimon Adventure
2001: Digimon Tamers
2002: Shaman King
2003: ---
2004: Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
2005: Mushishi (Honorable Mention: Eureka Seven)
2006: Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (HM: Ergo Proxy)
2007: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
2008: Yu-Go-Oh! 5D's
2009: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (HM: Mazinger Edition Z: The Impact!, Bakemonogatari)
2010: Heartcatch Precure (HM: Shiki)
2011: Hunter x Hunter (HM: Madoka, Danball Senki, Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero)
2012: Girls und Panzer (HM: Psycho Pass)
2013: Kill la Kill (HM: Attack on Titan, Silver Spoon, Gundam Build Fighters)
2014: Majin Bone (HM: Haikyu!!, Garo: The Animation)
2015: Fafner Exodus (HM: Death Parade, One Punch Man)
2016: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable (HM: Konosuba, Mob Psycho, Thunderbolt Fantasy, Kuromukuro)
2017: Land of the Lustrous (HM: Made in Abyss)
2018: Planet With (HM: SSSS.Gridman)
2019: Symphogear XV (HM: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba)

I mostly left out sequels in that list because it's big enough already.

As for voice Seiyuu I don't know that many and I definitely can't make a ranking, but if I had to list ones I recognize and like:

Mizuki Nana
Sawashiro Miyuki
Risa Taneda
Tomikazu Sugita
Koyasu Takehito
Wakamoto Norio

Last edited:

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Going by AniDB airing start date (sorry, it's not possible to stick to a single series, really :blobweary: ):
2000: FLCL
2001: Alien 9
2002: RahXephon, Juuni Kokuki, Haibane Renmei, Azumanga Daioh (it was a stacked year)
2003: Kino no Tabi, FMP Fumoffu, Planetes
2004: GitS SAC 2nd Gig, Samurai Champloo
2005: Air, Honey & Clover, Eureka 7, Mushishi
2006: Ergo Proxy, Aria, The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, Kanon
2007: Nodame Cantabile, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Seirei no Moribito, Ookiku Furikabutte, Baccano!
2008: Spice and Wolf, Kaiba, Detroit Metal City, Clannad After Story, One Outs, Michiko & Hatchin
2009: Cross Game, Bakemonogatari, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
2010: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, Kuragehime
2011: Steins;Gate, Madoka
2012: Sakamichi no Apollon, Shinsekai yori, Psycho Pass
2013: Uchoten Kazoku
2014: Haikyuu!!, Ping Pong
2015: One Punch Man
2016: I don't think I watched anything from 2016, probably Erased whenever I get around to watching it
2017: Made in Abyss
2018: I don't think I watched anything from 2018, probably Gurazeni whenever I get around to watching it

I did stick to a single mention of a multi-cour series, so Bakemonogatari is only mentioned once, same for Haikyuu, etc.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Ah man, I totally forgot FLCL and E7 myself. Even though I talked about E7 pretty early on in this very thread lol.

I'm glad I asked for such lists, already writing down some shows I missed! We should do lists (with different themes) more often, it's good for discoverability. :p

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Ah man, I totally forgot FLCL and E7 myself. Even though I talked about E7 pretty early on in this very thread lol.

I'm glad I asked for such lists, already writing down some shows I missed! We should do lists (with different themes) more often, it's good for discoverability. :p
Just not for bloody 20 years.
Took ages to look through the shows. I've probably missed a lot of stuff as well. :negative-blob:

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Just not for bloody 20 years.
Took ages to look through the shows. I've probably missed a lot of stuff as well. :negative-blob:
True lol. I bet it was a nice walk down memory lane though! It was for me anyway. :p I'm really surprised how much I forgot... It was quite a refresher.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Apparently, I've underestimated the amount of anime I've watched over the past two decades, lmao. I thought this is going to be easy 15 mins job. Two hours later I'm still on my laptop and didn't play any game lol. I also listed some anime I liked which come out on the same year alongside each year's entry. Of course, it's not an exhaustive list. Not to mention the anime I watched but never got marked on my anidb. Here goes.

2000 - Argento Soma
Notable releases: Love Hina

2001 - Hellsing
Notable releases: Geneshaft, Noir

2002 - Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
Notable releases: Azumanga Daioh, Fullmetal Panic!

2003 - Planetes
Notable releases: Fullmetal Panic? Fumoffu, Gungrave, Hagane no Renkinjutsushi, Last Exile, Sakigake!! Cromartie Koukou, The Big O, Wolf's Rain.

2004 - Ghost in The Shell Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
Notable releases: Elfen Lied, Gantz, Genshiken, Gokusen, Monster, School Rumble, Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor, Sunabouzu

2005 - Fullmetal Panic! The Second Raid
Notable releases: Mushishi

2006 - Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch
Notable releases: Fate/Stay Night, Ergo Proxy, Death Note, Black Lagoon, Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage, Joshikousei: Girl`s High, Nana, NHK ni Youkoso!, Pumpkin Scissors, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu, Utawarerumono

2007 - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Notable releases: Baccano!, Bamboo Blade, Clannad, Claymore, Dennou Coil, Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma: Molders Hen, Hidamari Sketch, Kidou Senshi Gundam 00, Minami-ke, Nodame Cantabile, School Days.

2008 - Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch R2
Notable releases: Hyakko, Kidou Senshi Gundam 00 S2, Macross Frontier, Mugen no Juunin, Nodame Cantabile: Paris Hen, Ookami to Koushinryou, Tentai Senshi Sunred, Toradora!

2009 - Hagane no Renkinjutsushi (2009)
Notable releases: Bakemonogatari, Canaan, Fight Ippatsu! Juuden-chan!!, Hagane no Renkinjutsushi (2009), Higashi no Eden, Higepiyo, Kampfer, Kimi ni Todoke, K-On!, Minami-ke Okaeri, Ookami to Koushinryou II, Shangri-La, Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z Hen, Tentai Senshi Sunred 2, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, White Album.

2010 - Durarara!!
Notable releases: B Gata H Kei, Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, Gakuen Mokushiroku: High School of the Dead, Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls, K-On!!, Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai, Nodame Cantabile: Finale, Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai, Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin,Seitokai Yakuindomo,Senkou no Night Raid, Shinryaku! Ika Musume, Toaru Majutsu no Index II, Working!!.

2011 - Nichijou
Notable releases: A Channel: The Animation, Ao no Exorcist, Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai.,Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Ni!, Ben-Tou, Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, Fate/Zero, Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season, Shinryaku!? Ika Musume, Steins;Gate, Usagi Drop, Working`!!, Yuru Yuri.

2012 - Psycho-Pass
Notable releases: Zetman, Ano Natsu de Matteru, Btooom!, Binbougami ga!, Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai., Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou, Fate/Zero (2012), Hyouka, High School DxD, Jormungand, Jormungand: Perfect Order, Kill Me Baby, Kokoro Connect, Little Busters!, Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, Mouretsu Pirates, Psycho-Pass, Robotics;Notes, Sakamichi no Apollon: Kids on the Slope, Shinsekai yori, Tasogare Otome x Amnesia, Yuru Yuri 2.

2013 - Shingeki no Kyojin
Notable releases: Aku no Hana, Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova, Genshiken Nidaime, Gin no Saji, Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince, Golden Time, High School DxD New: Gekkou Koutei no Excalibur, Kakumeiki Valvrave, Kill la Kill, Kingdom (2013), Log Horizon, Love Lab, Little Busters! Refrain, Magi: The Kingdom of Magic, Non Non Biyori, Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai., Samurai Flamenco, Servant x Service, Stella Jogakuin Koutouka C3-bu, Suisei no Gargantia, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S, Uchouten Kazoku, White Album 2, Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui!, Walkure Romanze, Yahari Ore no Seishun LoveCome wa Machigatte Iru.

2014 - Garo: Honoo no Kokuin
Notable releases: Zankyou no Terror, Akame ga Kill!, Akatsuki no Yona, Aldnoah.Zero, Amagi Brilliant Park, Break Blade (2014), Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren, Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo, D-Frag!, Denki-gai no Hon`ya-san, Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (2014), Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Gundam-san, Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de, Mushishi Zoku Shou (2014), Minna Atsumare! Falcom Gakuen, Noragami, Sabagebu!, Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis, Shirobako, Sidonia no Kishi, Space Dandy, Trinity Seven, Witch Craft Works.

2015 - Subete ga F ni Naru
Notable releases: Arslan Senki (2015), Bikini Warriors, Comet Lucifer, Charlotte, Danna ga Nani o Itte Iruka Wakaranai Ken 2 Sureme, Death Parade, Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (2015), Gakkougurashi!, Gangsta., High School DxD Born, Hibike! Euphonium, Heavy Object, Jitsu wa Watashi wa, Kidou Senshi Gundam: Tekketsu no Orphans, Lupin Sansei (2015), Minna Atsumare! Falcom Gakuen SC, Non Non Biyori Repeat, Noragami Aragoto, Plastic Memories, Prison School, Punch Line, Rokka no Yuusha, Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor - Exodus, Subete ga F ni Naru, Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai, The Rolling Girls, Working!!!, Yahari Ore no Seishun LoveCome wa Machigatte Iru. Zoku, Young Black Jack, Yurikuma Arashi, Yuru Yuri San Hai!, Kekkai Sensen.

2016 - Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (2016)
Notable releases: Amanchu!, Amaama to Inazuma, Arslan Senki: Fuujin Ranbu, Boku dake ga Inai Machi, Dagashi Kashi, Flying Witch, Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu, Fune o Amu, Flip Flappers, Girlish Number, Hibike! Euphonium 2, Joker Game, Keijo!!!!!!!!, Kidou Senshi Gundam: Tekketsu no Orphans (2016), Kiznaiver, Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru!, Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o!, Kuromukuro, Macross Delta, New Game!, Oshiete! Galko-chan, Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu, Sangatsu no Lion, Shuumatsu no Izetta, Thunderbolt Fantasy: Touri-ken Yuuki.

2017 - Sora yori mo Tooi Basho
Notable releases: ACCA 13-ku Kansatsu-ka, Action Heroine Cheer Fruits, Alice to Zouroku, Anime-Gataris, Demi-chan wa Kataritai, Fate/Apocrypha, Gamers!, Garo: Vanishing Line, Granblue Fantasy The Animation, Just Because!, Kekkai Sensen & Beyond,Koi to Uso, Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! 2, Kuzu no Honkai, Made in Abyss, Mahou Tsukai no Yome, Mahoujin Guru Guru (2017), New Game!!, Princess Principal, Sakura Quest, Sangatsu no Lion (2017), Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul, Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2, Shoukoku no Altair, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi Hen, Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasuka? Isogashii Desuka? Sukutte Moratte Ii Desuka?, Tsurezure Children, Vatican Kiseki Chousakan, Youjo Senki,Re: Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho.

2018 - Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume o Minai
Notable releases: Zombie Land Saga, Anima Yell!, Asobi Asobase, Banana Fish, Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro, Comic Girls, Darling in the Franxx, Fate/Extra: Last Encore, Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These, Gaikotsu Shoten`in Honda-san, Goblin Slayer, Golden Kamuy, Grancrest Senki, Grand Blue, Hakumei to Mikochi, Harukana Receive, High School DxD Hero, Hinamatsuri (2018), High Score Girl, Hisone to Masotan, Island, Itou Junji: Collection, Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara, Jashin-chan Dropkick, Kaijuu Girls: Ultra Kaijuu Gijinka Keikaku (2018), Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san, Kokkoku, Koi wa Ameagari no You ni, Lupin Sansei: Part 5, Megalo Box, Mitsuboshi Colors, Otona no Bouguya-san, Otaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii, Planet With, Piano no Mori (2018), Pop Team Epic, Release the Spyce, Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san, Steins;Gate 0, Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken, Thunderbolt Fantasy: Touri-ken Yuuki 2, Toaru Majutsu no Index III, Tada-kun wa Koi o Shinai, Uma Musume: Pretty Derby, Violet Evergarden, Yuru Camp.

2019 - Putting down Vinland Saga tentatively is too easy. I'd go with Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo. for now.

It's getting harder and harder every year to choose a favourite because there's so much good stuff every season, let alone in a year. For 2012 I should've write down Shinsekai yori, but I remember liking Psycho-Pass a lot.

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I was only able to do this thanks to AniDB's many features, and this filtering:
http://anidb.net/user/vote/?do=anime&epp=250&orderby.name=2.1&orderby.season=1.1&orderby.vote=0.2
With that it "only" took 15 minutes or so.

In the spirit of "trust your younger self" I'm listing favourites based on the score I gave them back then, even if it's embarrassing (and I might well choose something different now).
When there are multiple animes with the top rating for that year I list them all since I don't see another way to do that.

2000: Seikai no Senki , Boogiepop wa Warawanai: Boogiepop Phantom , Furi Kuri (all 9.0)
2001: X (2001) (10.0, lol)
2002: .hack//Sign , Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai , Saishuuheiki Kanojo (all 10.0)
2003: R.O.D: The TV , Hagane no Renkinjutsushi , Mousou Dairinin (all 10.0)
2004: Elfen Lied , Mind Game (both 10.0)
2005: Hachimitsu to Clover (10.0)
2006: Gintama , Simoun (10.0 -- Gintama is the first 10.0 I still wholeheartedly agree with in 2019)
2007: Dennou Coil , Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann , Baccano! , Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Jo , Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei (all 10.0 -- what's up with 2007?)
2008: Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 (10.0)
2009: Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Ha (10.0)
2010: Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica , Shinryaku! Ika Musume (both 8.5)
2011: Gintama` , Usagi Drop (both 10.0)
2012: Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita , Gintama` (2012) (both 9.5)
2013: Gekijouban Gintama Kanketsuhen: Yorozuya yo Eien Nare (10.0 -- would give it an 11 if I could)
2014: No Game No Life , Yurikuma Arashi , Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (2014) (all 9.0)
2015: Gintama (2015) (10.0)
2016: Flip Flappers , Teekyuu (2016) (both 9.0)
2017: Made in Abyss (10.0)
2018: Hinamatsuri (2018) (10.0)
2019: Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 (2019) (9.0)

Now, for fighting with my old self. The positive votes / year winners I disagree with most now are 2000's Furi Kuri, 2001's X, and basically everything 2002-2004 :p. It gets better after that (or rather, more aligned with my current perspective).

It's clear my average vote dropped over the years and it got more rare for anything to get a 10. I'm surprised that in 2010 even my favourites only reached 8.5.

Also, what the hell 2007. I can't even say that I would rate any of those much lower now!

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I didn't watch it. actually. I very rarely watch anime where romance is the primary plot focus.

Fun fact: today, I think that every single anime on your 2002 list is better than every single anime on my 2002 list :p
And it's basically the same for 2003 and 2004.

I might do a "2019-perspective" top anime selection for the first 10 years of the range (the second half doesn't change much).

Oh, and props for the Detroit Metal City pick ;)

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
No love for Angel Beats! in 2010? :crying-face: Seems I'm the only one to mention it so far... the ending had me choking up and in tears sooooo bad. It also convinced me to be an organ donor.

And yeah, 2007 was really wild, 2012 as well tbh.
=============

Forcing myself really hard not to comment on the users having Elfenlied on their list :sweaty-blob:
Tbh, I look at it nowadays and realize I'd probably rate it quite a bit lower. The manga was way better anyway. :p

=============
Thanks Kvik for also including notable releases, that pretty much gives me tons of stuff to pick through and add to my own watchlist!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kvik

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Crap, forgot about Paranoia Agent. That one was great as well.
Also, yeah, Durante , it was really hard not to list most of Gonzo animes I knew I enjoyed back then and which I now know suck,
「Echo」 I've been waiting for Key to finish the VN. :)

Last edited:

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
「Echo」 I've been waiting for Key to finish the VN. :)
I totally forgot it was being adapted to VN. Makes sense though, it's very Key-like.

Now I am curious if they will change anything just for surprise element... Personally I don't think I could play a VN version of it having seen the anime. It's kind of a one-and-done twist sadly.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
So here are the first five years form a 2019 perspective (those are the ones where I disagree with my "classic" choice the most).

I forced myself to select a single anime from each year as the top pick.
And I added some comments too!

2000: Seikai no Senki

Still one of my favourite space-travel-focused science fiction animes. A great mix of action, character building, and development of the setting/story. This was by far the easiest year for me to make a choice in.

2001: Jungle wa Itsumo Hare Nochi Guu

I had considered Millennium Actress, but Guu is too funny. I have to admit that I have a big soft spot for bizarre comedy (and that's one thing about my taste that hasn't really changed over the years).

2002: Juuni Kokuki

I want to give a shoutout to Azumanga Daiou, for basically doing the high school girl group comedy thing before it exploded in popularity -- and arguably doing it better -- Haibane Renmei and Princess Tutu for being real art (it's hard to articulate), RahXephon for being the best NGE clone, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex for being GitS:SAC. What a stacked year.

So clearly, the selection was hard to make. Then why Juuni Kokuki? Because it's a serious 45 episode anime that I still adored by the time it was over, and tried to find a way to learn the rest of the story several times through the years. That's really rare. It's a huge shame they couldn't complete this adaptation.

2003: Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World

This one might be even more difficult than 2002. I ultimately chose Kino no Tabi since it stuck with me the most on an emotional level out of all the options. But there are many of them: Tokyo Godfathers was perhaps the strongest contender, together with Planetes (which I think someone else chose) and the somewhat-too-esoteric for it's own good Texhnolyze.
Also, I still cite Battle Programmer Shirase's double compile from time to time.

What's really interesting about this year to me from a contemporary perspective is the number of action/drama series I consider at least decent: Uchuu no Stellvia, Scrapped Princess, Last Exile, R.O.D: The TV, Narutaru, Hagane no Renkinjutsushi, Mujin Wakusei Survive, Gungrave, Gunslinger Girl, even Chrno Crusade. None of these are true standouts, but they exist in a single year in addition to the several truly excellent picks I mentioned before.

Did I get much more picky or did the quality/amount of such middle-of-the-road-but-not-bad animes drop precipitously compared to 2003?
What do you all think?

2004: Monster

Monster is a really noteworthy anime, as one of those rare beasts of a series that is more than 50 episodes long but manages to fill those with quality -- and even more rare, while not being a comedy.
I distinctly remember both Gankutsuou and Samurai Champloo being triumphs in terms of style, and in fact both are pretty good in other aspects too. Soukyuu no Fafner deserves a mention as the other NGE clone that doesn't suck. School Rumble was really funny, and Mai-Hime's plot development was unexpected.

... this took a lot longer.

Last edited:

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I totally forgot it was being adapted to VN. Makes sense though, it's very Key-like.

Now I am curious if they will change anything just for surprise element... Personally I don't think I could play a VN version of it having seen the anime. It's kind of a one-and-done twist sadly.
It's a joke in VN circles, akin to saying 'I'm waiting for those monkeys to finish typing complete works of Shakespeare on those typewriters' or "I'll start ASoIaF whenever GRRM releases the last volume". We're never getting part two of the VN.
smh all of you underappreciating Madoka
It's not even the best Shaft anime from that year.

:evilblob:
So here are the first five years form a 2019 perspective (those are the ones where I disagree with my "classic" choice the most).

I forced myself to select a single game from each year as the top pick.
And I added some comments too!
Oh god, Chest of the Stars, Hare & Guu. My man! :wd_heart:
Would have mentioned Monster, but I still haven't watched the anime, just read the manga.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
No one is worthy of the glory that is THE BEST anime
I'm only 10 ep in, its great, weird but not super weird like tiny doses of unforced weird (the best weird) and the penguin is now king.

I'm barely worthy of being able to read English subtitles when listening to the JP audio.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Knurek
Well, Ebichu is 1999, so obviously no one will mention it if we start at 2000.
I actually have it at 9.0, which is my highest for the year ;)

It shares that spot with Excel Saga, Seikai no Monshou, Great Teacher Onizuka, Kachou Ouji and Mugen no Ryvius.

Interestingly I agree with my historical votes for that year far more than with the ones directly following it. Each of those series is pretty great in its own way.

Edit: I just researched a bit on these series -- especially Mugen no Ryvius since it's one of the most memorable -- and came upon this quite recent article:

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
No love for Angel Beats! in 2010? :crying-face: Seems I'm the only one to mention it so far... the ending had me choking up and in tears sooooo bad.
I didn't mention it, but I remember really liking it back then. It's just that the most recent Key anime I watched (Charlotte) was such a disappointment to me that it retroactively made me sour on Key anime's....

Also I was too lazy to mention Gintama, because there's so many different seasons over so many years, but consider it said that Gintama rules.

Also I'm pretty sure I'll be starting Vinland Saga soon, because a friend showed me the Opening and it fucking rules.

And in terms of good openings of shows from this season, I also really like Symphogear's

and while I'm bit disappointed that Demon Slayer didn't get a new one, Gurenge is still awesome, soooo :p

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
You people are all fine men and women of culture. Seeing Haibane Renmei and Crest of the Stars quoted is heartwarming.

By the way, what's the word on Made in Abyss's second season? The first one was a harrowing, incredible show.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Juuni Kokuki is basically isekai anime before isekai was even a thing.
:wd_p:

I never finished watching it, definitely something I would have to rectify.

Reactions: Swenhir

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
That is terrifying and disgusting. Is it the same Robotech as Mechwarrior? I'm a little confused.
No, it's totally different. Robotech is basically an adaptation of three different mecha series: Macross, Mospeada and Southern Cross, I think. It gained some popularity in the USA, although from what I've heard, it's totally rubbish.

Reactions: Swenhir

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Random thought, but I was just thinking outside of Higurashi, Jigoku Shoujo, and maybe a few others... horror anime is really under-served genre? If I look through my piles and piles of manga I could probably pull up 50+ horror titles just from my own collection. ... but as for anime, I don't think I could personally name even 10?

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Random thought, but I was just thinking outside of Higurashi, Jigoku Shoujo, and maybe a few others... horror anime is really under-served genre? If I look through my piles and piles of manga I could probably pull up 50+ horror titles just from my own collection. ... but as for anime, I don't think I could personally name even 10?
Boogiebop Phantom
Mononoke
Aku no Hana
That Cowboy Bebop fridge episode
Welcome to NHK
Hellsing
Vampire Hunter D
Drawing a blank...

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Boogiebop Phantom
Mononoke
Aku no Hana
That Cowboy Bebop fridge episode
Welcome to NHK
Hellsing
Vampire Hunter D
Drawing a blank...
Flowers of Evil and NHK are really more drama than horror though right? Well I guess everyones definition of horror is different though... Interpersonal drama, or suicidal stuff as depicted in NHK might just be horror for some!

Personally though I was thinking more like Hellsing/Shiki/Higurashi lol.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Yeah I can't think of many either.
There's also Shiki and Kagewani (only season 1 though, 2 is a disappointment....)

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
The first thing that comes to my mind is Ayakashi / Mononoke, but even for that, I'd say it's more a case of horror being the theme rather than the genre. If that makes sense.

It's really good though.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Alright, so I'm now up-to-date with Granbelm (watched eps. 3-5 just now) and it's been really good.
It's basically a magical girl mecha battle royale show. It's quite serious in tone, but so far has not been the edgy/grimdark/tragedy kind of magical girl shows.
I wasn't fond of the mech designs at the beginning, but they've grown on me. (They're somewhat chibi-styled). They're also fully 2D animated, which is really nice.
The show is directed by the Re:Zero director and character designs are also from the Re:Zero character designer.

Like the basic story premise is really not super original (descendants of mage families fight against each other in some magical ritual/tournament and the winner gets a wish granted), but it's just really well executed. There's many characters with their own ambitions and the show knows to mix action with character development.

Reactions: Kvik and 「Echo」

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Episode 0, basically a small prequel, of the Fate/Grand Order Babylonia anime should be up on most streaming services... Man, the Camelot movies and the Babylona anime, it's a great time to be a Fate/ fan!

Here is the latest trailer for the game, which isn't anime I know, but the trailer is! And it's soooo epic!

Like the basic story premise is really not super original (descendants of mage families fight against each other in some magical ritual/tournament and the winner gets a wish granted), but it's just really well executed. There's many characters with their own ambitions and the show knows to mix action with character development.

This sounds like Fate/... :unsure:

Not that it's a bad thing, but I just know if I watch it I'll do nothing but draw comparisons lol.

Reactions: Kvik

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
This sounds like Fate/... :unsure:

Not that it's a bad thing, but I just know if I watch it I'll do nothing but draw comparisons lol.
Haha, I was thinking that when writing that mini-description, but it's probably doing it a bit of a disservice, it doesn't really feel like Fate.
It's an all-girl cast and the mechs aren't their own characters unlike the servants, they are basically just the powers of the girls.

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019

What is this the image on this shirt from?

I don't know what anime is; is this just a take on the Siamese Dream cover or something more specific?

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever

What is this the image on this shirt from?

I don't know what anime is; is this just a take on the Siamese Dream cover or something more specific?
Yeah it's just an anime styled version of the album art.

"Item Description: Reinterpretation of the Classic Smashing Pumpkins Album - Siamese Dream in Anime Form. "

Reactions: teezzy