Community Tokusatsu Community - Let's Henshin!

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
A while ago I finished watching Blade. It's a bit of a mixed bag. Interestingly, it's the first Kamen Rider show I've watched that actually has 2 different opening songs, and also interestingly these 2 halves they demarcate vary wildly in quality.
The first part is mediocre. The premise is solid, the characters are solid and their relations have interesting dynamics. The biggest problem is that the show feels like it's spinning its wheels for too long. There are sub-plots introduced that never really move forward. It's one step forward and you're excited to see where things are going, but then soon after it's one step back again, repeat.
It has some excellent moments though, but also some really low lows.

Then the 2nd part with a new opening comes along and its immediately a massive improvement. Story starts firing on full cylinders, the sub-plots actually start meaningfully moving forward and it's all really really good.
I'd put the 2nd half on its own quite high on my list in isolation, but it's a bit of a thorny path until you get there, unfortunately.

Currently I'm watching Hibiki, up to episode 3 right now. It's pretty wild.
It has a completely different feel to any Kamen Rider show I've watched so far. The direction, the music, the locations, the entire vibe is just very different. Heck, it's kind of a musical at times if you can believe that. It's fascinating.
I really dig it. :blobeyes:

Reactions: Cacher

Gintaro

MetaMember
Feb 20, 2021
Malaysia
Bumping up this thread for a bit of some recent highlights for me!

Fuuto Pi started airing and it's pretty good for the first 2 episodes! A lot of the scenes from the manga is adapted well and the voice actors did a good job on portray as close as possible to the original actors. Feels good to be able to see W henshin on the big screen again!

Also they are going to release a new W CSM driver and memories with voicelines of the anime which is long awaited since the previous version all doesn't have any voicelines. But too bad we can't have a version with the voices of the original actors though.

Kamen Rider Geats is revealed! Personally I'm very excited with the theme of survival game this time which is similar to Ryuki! The rider design and forms looks great too!
The full press conference for anyone interested!

For ongoing series, Donbrothers is definitely the highlight for me currently as all the character development is very interesting and the sentai robo design is top notch that I even can't resist getting the DonOnitaijin DX! Looking forward to see all the team members grow and how their relationship with each other changes!

Reactions: Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Just finished watching Kamen Rider Kabuto.
Very much liked it, even though it got pretty messy in the end and there are a whole lot of holes and wasted subplots if you think too hard.
It made up for it with very cool suits, great action and a cast full of extremely over-the-top weirdos. I'm sure its brand of comedy isn't for everyone, but it sure was for me.
It also amused me greatly that half of it was basically a cooking show.

Jumped right into Den-O afterwards and that first episode sure was fun. Premise seems pretty great. Opening song is a banger too.

Reactions: Gintaro

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Took forever, but I finished Den-O. Lol.
Seems to be a pretty well-liked season overall from what I gather, but personally I found it to be just okay.
Premise and characters were pretty strong, but I feel like it kinda fizzled out after the beginning and turned mostly into hijinks-of-the week. Which were fun, but the story and villains were just not good enough to balance things out and keep me string along.

Anyway, decided I wanted something more modern again, so I've started Zero-One. Watched a few episodes and I'm loving it. It's fun, it's serious, it's confident.
And learning it's the same writer as Ex-Aid has me stoked, because Ex-Aid was fire.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Wow, Zero-One is an awesome ride. Just finished watching ep. 13 and it just doesn't let up!
The characters are fantastic with lots of development happening, there's comedy, there's serious stuff, there's emotional stuff, the villains actually have a strong presence and feel threatening, the action is fantastic and plot points are moving along briskly.
It even has mechs!
I really hope they can keep this momentum going.