|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Li Kao they are not going to skimp on the cable. Hell even apple includes the cable.:)
Pretty confident too, but let's not forget the fuckeries of the past by Nintendo and I believe some phone manufacturers.
That said, yeah, the cable is not in the spec sheet but mentioned in the FAQ so...

Reactions: Le Pertti

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Very promising reviews overall.
The biggest point of caution seems to be the software said just not being finished, but I trust Valve enough on that front to believe they'll iron out the kinks sooner or later and add lots of cool stuff.
And the screen being meh, but for my use-cases it should be good enough.

I expect to get my purchase mail on the 21st or 28th, but I hope it will be the 14th because then it should arrive in time for my birthday, which would be awesome :blobeyes:

Reactions: lashman

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I think most reviews have been quite fair, even those that ended up not giving a "buy now" recommendation. The hardware is fantastic, the software still needs work but I can honestly say that Steam Deck is one of the safest products to buy based on its long-term potential. Personally I would have zero hesitation in buying one today, Valve is clearly all in on both this device and its operating system.

Minsc

Aug 7, 2021
It should last as long as any console - ie forever until you're ready to abandon it. Only by the end of it's life (for the hardware in gen 1) it'll have a much larger library than any other device and be pretty much the most uncontested emu/retro device available.. Stuff on the software side will only improve for the device the longer it's out, so it doesn't matter when you get it really, unless you think you won't use it - then wait until you will maybe the next version will be out with a better screen or hardware.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Same here. Luckily I still work from home this week (Covid). Starting from next week, I'll have to work back from the office at least 2 days a week (which I'm still very happy about).
Steam Deck coming just in time, then.

I’m expecting to be asked to go back to the office at the start of April for 2 days a week. My union negotiated us a pay raise and this working from home arrangement and it’s a good deal, all things considered.

• Comfy
Reactions: Ge0force

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Btw, despite this being a PC, using SteamOS means it won't get bloated and run slow even after Deck 2 and Deck 3 or whatever are out so that it's still snappy as ever and you just need to worry about the games themselves not being more demanding than it can really handle (so, same as launch day basically), yes?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Btw, despite this being a PC, using SteamOS means it won't get bloated and run slow even after Deck 2 and Deck 3 or whatever are out so that it's still snappy as ever and you just need to worry about the games themselves not being more demanding than it can really handle (so, same as launch day basically), yes?
yeah, i think that should be the case

Reactions: Alextended

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Thanks m8! It's installing updates right now. The Deck is bigger than I expected, but also lighter in weight than I expected for such a huge device.
Excellent bro, I hope you enjoy it a lot and have an amazing time with it, this is only steaming up :blobmorning2:

Reactions: Ge0force
Important for first time boot!

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
For all of you getting your early units:

A quick note for folks receiving their Steam Decks in the first couple weeks
  1. Plug it in before booting to get your Steam Deck out of ship mode.

2. Congrats! You got one of the first Steam Decks off the factory floor. This being the case, you'll see some updates out of the box. For instance, the system software (specifically Steam Deck’s BIOS) requires an update.

3. The BIOS update will take place on technical looking, sideways screen, but don’t worry, this is completely normal. Just let it do its thing and you’ll be on your way to an improved Steam Deck experience. Future updates won’t look like this (and customers in the near future won't see this at all).

4. For other questions, resources, and links, see the list above.

5. Have fun! The team is having a blast shipping this product, and we hope you love Steam Deck as much as we do.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Mine got into the delivery truck late yesterday, so I didn’t expect the package today. And I have so much on my plate I’m not annoyed. Can’t lie though, checking the tracking today and looking at an EU map my first thought was, how slow can you be, motherfucker ?
Then I regained my senses and realized it had only been a little over six hours since the email.
I’m in no rush. Yeah…

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I'm very happy for you! Enjoy! Make sure to give us your impressions!
My impressions so far:

• Great analog controls and face buttons
  • Comfortable to hold
  • SteamOS is fast and very intuitive
  • Incredible performance for a handheld
  • Several non-supported games seem to work fine

• The screen is mediocre. Colors are flat, large bezels and strong reflection when sitting near a window
  • High pitched fan noise is annoying for me. Can be solved by using headphones, but I'm not sure my wife wants to hear this all night when I'm gaming next to her on the couch.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
  • The screen is mediocre. Colors are flat, large bezels and strong reflection when sitting near a window
  • High pitched fan noise is annoying for me. Can be solved by using headphones, but I'm not sure my wife wants to hear this all night when I'm gaming next to her on the couch.
Those are very worrying. I guess I will have to play with headphones too, but the jack on mine is tired as fuck so enjoy wiggling it for several seconds in order to get stereo.