|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
Anyone here who's got ETA Q1 got their unit yet?

Mine is supposed to arrive Q1, and I've seen quite many videos on YouTube with people unboxing their Q1 Steam Deck. Heck some even got it personally delivered by Gabe. Since it is my first time to order any hardware related from Valve I'm unsure how it works. When will they ask for the payment? So far I've only payed the pre-order fee.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

Mine is supposed to arrive Q1, and I've seen quite many videos on YouTube with people unboxing their Q1 Steam Deck. Heck some even got it personally delivered by Gabe. Since it is my first time to order any hardware related from Valve I'm unsure how it works. When will they ask for the payment? So far I've only payed the pre-order fee.
yes, for example 3 posts above yours ;) a few people here have theirs already.

how it works is basically once your order is ready, you'll get an email from Valve and then you complete your payment as you would when paying for a game on Steam.

Reactions: ganmo

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018

They did announce they'd be sending the emails in batches. The next batch is due on the 8th I believe? And once a week until end of Q1, and that should (according to them) complete ALL Q1 orders. Then the Q2 email batches start in April

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
just few first minutes of Q1 has been fulfilled.

I was around 1000th and that wasn't enough for to be in first batch. hopefully in second batch next monday.
(stupid idea of Valve to move from Fri to Monday IMO as that means it won't get shipped until Wednesday (EU))

Reactions: lashman

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
yes, for example 3 posts above yours ;) a few people here have theirs already.

how it works is basically once your order is ready, you'll get an email from Valve and then you complete your payment as you would when paying for a game on Steam.
thanks, anyhow. a bit lazy to read-up, but I got a fair grasp on how it is now. Hope I'll get an email the next week or so :)

Reactions: LEANIJA

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
They did announce they'd be sending the emails in batches. The next batch is due on the 8th I believe? And once a week until end of Q1, and that should (according to them) complete ALL Q1 orders. Then the Q2 email batches start in April
next email batch should go out on Monday the 7th (Valve switched to sending out on Mondays, they said its easier to ship?)

~

Valve also released the SteamOS Devkit client under an open source licence

Reactions: Pommes

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I feel super awful for barely touching the Deck because of Elden Ring.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Yes, but check the pictures of that Ebay post, also, so far I have tested 4 unsupported games (FFIX, Digimon, Persona 4, Moon RPG) and all worked flawlessly without any tweaking, so yeah, unsupported doesn't mean it doesn't work, sometimes it's a bad rating from Valve
maybe something changed on the OS level between then and now that made them work?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
maybe something changed on the OS level between then and now that made them work?
It's hard to say what exactly is going on, since Valve doesn't track the reason why a game is Unsupported (at least the public compatibility rating ). One thing that comes to mind is that tests might be very old, showing how the games ran in past Proton versions. Alternatively, the test could be very thorough and find a few crashes that you don't see right away, but only after longer play though.

Reactions: Pommes and LEANIJA

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Yes, but check the pictures of that Ebay post, also, so far I have tested 4 unsupported games (FFIX, Digimon, Persona 4, Moon RPG) and all worked flawlessly without any tweaking, so yeah, unsupported doesn't mean it doesn't work, sometimes it's a bad rating from Valve

As this work takes place, our existing standards for titles to get a Verified or a Playable rating are very high. If a game shows controller glyphs 99% of the time but tells you to 'press F' sometimes during gameplay, that's Playable, not Verified. If 99% of a game's functionality is accessible, but accessing one optional in-game minigame crashes, or one tutorial video doesn't render, that's Unsupported.

For now! This is by design: around the launch timeframe, we believed it was more valuable to prevent false positives ("this game is Verified but part of it doesn't work"), even at the cost of some appearance of false negatives ("this game is Unsupported but I didn't notice anything wrong with it"). Even with the current standards, at the rate both we and partners are making improvements, we expect you'll see many titles transition over the next few weeks from Playable, or even Unsupported, to Verified. We also expect our standards and thinking will adjust as we move farther from launch and get much more feedback from customers and developers.
Seems like Valve has very high standards for Verified status.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I super duper cannot wait for my Deck in Q2 but I'll be honest - $3,000 would not go unwanted. I know by then the price will plummet but I absolutely do not blame anyone trying to sell theirs, especially since Valve did at least some anti-scalping measures.

Reactions: Pommes and Cacher

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I super duper cannot wait for my Deck in Q2 but I'll be honest - $3,000 would not go unwanted. I know by then the price will plummet but I absolutely do not blame anyone trying to sell theirs, especially since Valve did at least some anti-scalping measures.
Yeah, I totally get it. If you weren’t fussed about Linux and you were happy with the performance of, say, the Ayaneo Next, you could flip your Steam Deck for a lot, buy a different device and keep the change.

Reactions: Cacher

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
It's kinda strange they don't give people who are online/gaming via a Deck a special symbol, like BBM or VR in the friends list. They show as Big Picture, bit IMO there should be a Deck symbol.
Still gathering thoughts and testing different things. I have some things that I am really not happy about, and some things that are really awesome.

edit:
Also games not supporting could saves... like Dark Souls 2. :(
I haven't looked into it, but the save transfer is not that easy I guess?

edit2:
New updates breaking games that worked before. :(

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I feel super awful for barely touching the Deck because of Elden Ring.
I played on the deck for dozens of hours a week basically since I got it last year until the 25th. Now I haven't touched it except for 30 minutes of Desk Job.

Edit: maybe I should clarify that this is 100% due to Elden Ring. Once I'm done with that I'm certain I'll be back to it.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
One thing that's a bit annoying so far is that virtually no Trails or Ys game in my library seems to be supported on the Deck, short of Oath in Felghana. I guess most are just simple fixes away from working, looking at the ProtonDB page, but it would still be nice XSeed could work a bit on their large back catalogue to get it to verified status. These games are just perfectly suited for handheld play, I feel.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I played on the deck for dozens of hours a week basically since I got it last year until the 25th. Now I haven't touched it except for 30 minutes of Desk Job.
Do what Gabe won't and send the Steam Deck to me.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
This might be a silly problem but I'm kinda bummed that so far 90% of the verified games on my library are games that I've already played and finished. There's still a lot of untested games (2k+) so I'm hoping that I'll start seeing some new games to play on it soon.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Don’t get me wrong, the Deck is still my dream machine (still not sure about the ergonomics, though). It’s just that I have already too many games on my plate and they are mostly unsuited to the little beauty at first glance.
Ys 7 my mother likes to watch, so no. Pathfinder I suppose would be hardly ideal on it. And I would really like to not prematurely destroy the sticks with Elden Ring.
I tried Huntdown on it, but it unfortunately doesn’t do much for me and there is a distinct feeling of plate too full. And that’s without talking about Muramasa, a VN that I will have to use remote play for. That one could work super well depending on the streaming quality, but it’s on stand by because, too much games at the same time.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Im quite frustrated with the track pads. Ioved the Steam Controller ones but I can't get the Deck pads to behave like I want. Not sure if it's the size, the format, the position or the software.
That's surprising, I also play a lot on the Steam Controller (like Elden Ring right now) and while I haven't played too many games with camera control on the Deck I felt like trackball mode behaved very similarly to what I'm used to on the SC.

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
That's surprising, I also play a lot on the Steam Controller (like Elden Ring right now) and while I haven't played too many games with camera control on the Deck I felt like trackball mode behaved very similarly to what I'm used to on the SC.
Do you use joystick or mouse mode? I literally spent a full battery charge trying to make it behave like the Steam Controller with Severed Steel, going through every setting . I get this random movement when I flick the pad or try to make quick movements. I feel it's either reacting too slow or too fast/randomly.

The settings are also very buggy. I change the setting, back out, go in again, and it reset itself. Happens with Minimum Movement or the Rotation setting for example.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I was using joystick mode -- I think the game I was playing doesn't support simultaneous mouse/gamepad input.

Reactions: derFeef

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
Gahh im going crazy. I start to think there might be something wrong with the trackpads. Other than the input testing there is no calibration for the inputs right?

• Sad
Reactions: Pommes and lashman

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Fiddled a bit more with the Deck, went to desktop mode for the first time ane, ayup, the potential is mind blowing.

Still unsure about the controls, the dpad hurt my thumb after some time. And when I think about Souls-like games that uses the stick, buttons and triggers heavily, I’m a little unconvinced. I know that some of you play Elden Ring on it so it’s obviously possible, but at first glance it seems really cramped.

Oh yeah, the trackpads need some time getting used to but they are impressive. Is there a setting to slow down their sensibility, though ? Not by much, but they are just a tad too quick to me.

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
Yay! 🥰

Mass Effect seems to run great on the Deck. There's a small hickup when loading a new area but that doesn't bother me. Next challenge is to start the game directly from Steam instead of going through Origin first.
Are you using Lutris to install Origin? If so getting the run the game under steam isn't that hard.

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
Yes.

I've tried Lutris first but that didn't work, probably because Lutris doesn't have access to the Wine installation in SteamOS. I'm not sure, Linux is new for me.
Aaah so you installed it through Wine? Could very well be that in the desktop environment a shortcut has been created for Mass Effect. See if in desktopmode a shortcut has been created in the startmenu. If so you can add that as a non steam game (like in windows).

Reactions: Ge0force

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
From what I can tell, adding non-Steam games runs a lot better in Linux than the piss poor Windows implementation.

From experience it’s better in macOS too, so this doesn’t surprise me.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
It’s probably not much effort if you know what you’re doing. My Linux experience is zero and I don’t want to mess around with configuring or installing multiple versions of Proton for different games. I’m hoping Valve can get it all working perfectly by just pressing install, because I don’t want to do much more than that on an 800p display with no dedicated keyboard and mouse plugged in.
Tell you what, as soon as I get my hands on my SteamDeck (I'm in the Q1 bracket), I'll take a look at it, and if need be, write you a detailed walkthrough how to get it done easily. Because it was super easy just now, and I assume it shouldnt be difficult on Deck either :)

but errrm remind me should I forget :)
I dont have my Deck yet – or an email yet, for that matter, but GameOnLinux has made exactly this kind of tutorial:

~

DId anyone notice the change to the official logo in the footer of the Steamdeck page?

Yes, theres several of them :)
I guess based on the wallpapers that ship with the Deck?

Reactions: Durante and C-Dub

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
Anyone successfully hooked up an external display? I read some more into it and it seems a recent patch broke it somehow.
I tried a different hub and it's also not working for me.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Hello!

We’ve just sent out order emails to the second batch of of Q1 reservations in the queue. For more info on how exactly this order email cadence works, please see last week’s post. We're excited to get Steam Decks into the hands of more customers!

Along with today’s batch of order emails, we have two announcements about reservations and availability.
  • We have been working hard to increase the number of Steam Decks we can produce this year, and we now have more clarity on our longer term production schedule. As a result, in addition to Q1 and Q2, reservers can now see if they are in the Q3 order availability window. You can check the Steam Deck product page (while logged in) to see your reservation window.
  • We are also looking into making Steam Deck available in more countries, including Japan, by the end of the year. The team is continuing to push on all of these fronts, and will share updates as we get more info.

We’ve been excited to hear from customers as more and more get Steam Decks in-hand - it's been amazing to see the posts, videos, and impressions showing up online over the past week. We were also happy to read about the overwhelmingly positive experiences of folks with advanced review units in the press and beyond. Here are a few examples:

• Forbes
    : “The Steam Deck is truly peerless, and exists in a class all its own.”
  • Gizmodo
    : “It’s not every day that I get to review a device so unique that it could revolutionize mobile gaming. But here it is, straight from the dreams of dedicated PC gamers who have long yearned for a handheld console.” And “…what Valve has achieved is undeniably impressive. So impressive that this once-skeptic is a full believer.”
  • PC Gamer
    : “It doesn't even make sense to call them competitors. The Steam Deck is in a class of its own.”
  • Polygon
    : “The Steam Deck is my new favorite console.”
  • Digital Foundry
    : “Console-quality handheld gaming: Believe it!”
  • Engadget
    : “The Steam Deck is what happens when the Vita and the Wii U get drunk on Linux and make a big baby together.”
  • Rock Paper Shotgun
    : “Even with some software snags, Steam Deck is an ambitious and impressive handheld PC.”
  • Tom’s Hardware
    : “Valve’s handheld has big PC energy.”
  • GamesBeat
    : “My favorite gaming PC ever made.”

That’s all for today, until next time!