|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
So far Emudeck's been the most difficult thing to setup so far. Anyone got any advice on getting hotkeys to work through emulationstation or even just in the Steam Rom Manager? Nothing I've tried in the cheat sheet here works.

Edit: nvm, went into retroarch and found out half of the defaults were missing for some reason? (the one to go into the menu for it specifically), Just set it back up and it's workin now.

Last edited:

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
The community guesstimator had today as my deck day for US but that queue specifically kinda feels like it's moving maybe slower than expected? So while I was originally hoping to get it sooner (since they announced they'd be sending more out), now I'm kind of expecting a couple more weeks. Sadly
THere's a guesstimator?

Link me up, please.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
THere's a guesstimator?

Link me up, please.
There are a couple (at least), I tried to use the one with the most up to date stuff which I think was this: Steam Deck Calculator

Keep in mind, it was already wrong in my case (I can't imagine I'll get an email now, office hours are done)

Edit: Just ran it again (same algorithm etc.) and it now says June 13th for me, which is a full month later than their initial estimate. From what I've seen anecdotally, the EU guesses were quite accurate, so maybe something was off with the US one.

Sucks though because if I get it mid-June I'm pretty much going to miss out on the spring weather that I can endure being outdoors for. Was hoping to take it with me to some places. Going to have to wait until October likely with how hot it already is getting here in KC.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
How is everyone else's docking experience? Because it is miserable for me. 99% of the time I have some kind of issue. The most common issue for me is that when I plug Deck into my USB-C Dock, the screen doesn't fit properly and I can only see a part of it. My Deck also crashed a couple of times. One time it was working fine, I put it into sleep mode while it was docked, and tried to resume it an hour later to see it boot to menu losing my progress. Another issue I have is that when I connect Deck to my Dock, it doesn't automatically switch audio sources and I have to do it manually every single time. Desktop mode worked perfectly every time I tried to use it, even in 1440p 144hz, but that's not why I bought my Deck and that's why I don't want to use that mode.

There is another thing that bugs me about the Deck and that is the 16:10 screen. Most monitors and TVs people have at home are 16:9, so when you connect Deck to it with a game running at its native resolution, you will see black bars on the sides. If it was 720p 16:9 screen, this problem would not exist. Of course, if you run the game at 720p resolution, this problem does not exist, but then you have black bars on the top and bottom of the Deck screen. I wish there was a solution to this so that users didn't have to fiddle with resolutions to make the game fit the screen.

I hope Valve improves the docking experience as soon as possible, considering that they have their own Deck Dock in the works.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

meschio94

Aug 21, 2021
How is everyone else's docking experience? Because it is miserable for me. 99% of the time I have some kind of issue. The most common issue for me is that when I plug Deck into my USB-C Dock, the screen doesn't fit properly and I can only see a part of it. My Deck also crashed a couple of times. One time it was working fine, I put it into sleep mode while it was docked, and tried to resume it an hour later to see it boot to menu losing my progress. Another issue I have is that when I connect Deck to my Dock, it doesn't automatically switch audio sources and I have to do it manually every single time. Desktop mode worked perfectly every time I tried to use it, even in 1440p 144hz, but that's not why I bought my Deck and that's why I don't want to use that mode.

There is another thing that bugs me about the Deck and that is the 16:10 screen. Most monitors and TVs people have at home are 16:9, so when you connect Deck to it with a game running at its native resolution, you will see black bars on the sides. If it was 720p 16:9 screen, this problem would not exist. Of course, if you run the game at 720p resolution, this problem does not exist, but then you have black bars on the top and bottom of the Deck screen. I wish there was a solution to this so that users didn't have to fiddle with resolutions to make the game fit the screen.

I hope Valve improves the docking experience as soon as possible, considering that they have their own Deck Dock in the works.
First thing first, the refresh rate should be at 60Hz if you are in the beta

I tried docked in a few monitors and tv, the GUI is perfcted scaled and resized, the games are limited by the resolution of the deck (so 800p) black bars are always there, on twitter they said this will be fixed, probably the docked experience will be fixed with QoL features when the dock will go on sale

I don't know why, but some emulators in docked mode screw themselves, the input lag and audio delays increase (yuzu for example)

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Unfortunately it seems like remote play on the Steam deck with Non-Steam Games added seems extremely poorly implemented. I tried out a few games/VNs and I get a wide range of results, sometimes only the mouse works, sometimes only the buttons and sometimes nothing works no matter what controller profile i end up trying or macros I end up setting. Thankfully it's a somewhat niche requirement since most stuff I care about I would just install directly onto the Deck, but it's still really unfortunate for the stuff that doesn't work on Deck that I'd like to stream out.

I guess I could always try out Moonlight too.

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
Yup, I had a similar experience. There is something wrong going on with the remote play on Deck. Apart from what you said I also experienced a black screen with just audio coming out when I tried to stream non-steam game. When it comes to streaming Steam games, it works great for about 15 minutes and then the stream starts to chug or choke, beginning to lag more and more until it freezes completely. It works perfectly fine when streaming to other devices.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Remote Play on my end is flawless on Muramasa, so yeah, it looks like user experience varies greatly.
Well, flawless outside some funky keybinds for the pad, but I suppose it's on the game.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I haven't used remote play in a while (mostly playing native games), but last year I played quite a few hours of Blue Reflection with remote play. Back then, I had to disable HW decoding on the Deck to get correct color handling, but with that setting it worked well.

Currently I'm playing The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles on the Deck, works perfectly but the port is a bit shite. It's locked at 30 FPS (which is fine for the game and Deck) but nonetheless pegs multiple CPU cores at 100% for absolutely no reason.
By default, it uses a completely silly amount of power (15+W) for rendering a simple game at 30 FPS. Luckily the Deck has an easy way to limit power -- if you limit the SoC to just 4W (!!) it still runs perfectly stable at 30 FPS, just like before, making it very clear that those threads are just busy waiting or something like that.

Reactions: Ibuki and Pommes

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Currently I'm playing The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles on the Deck, works perfectly but the port is a bit shite. It's locked at 30 FPS (which is fine for the game and Deck) but nonetheless pegs multiple CPU cores at 100% for absolutely no reason.
Just use the fan patch for both unlocked framerate and severe reduction in CPU usage.
You will probably need to add
Code:
WINEDLLOVERRIDES="dinput8=n,b" %command%
as a launch option.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
This is a little weird. This updates includes things that were not present in beta update but at the same time it does not have features like refresh rate switching that was introduced in beta update over a week ago. How does this work? Do I have to switch back to stable branch to get those new things or is Beta branch updated to include this functionality too?

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Per-game performance profiles :blobeyes:
Now they just need to let you upload/download them, like you can with controller profiles.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
This is a little weird. This updates includes things that were not present in beta update but at the same time it does not have features like refresh rate switching that was introduced in beta update over a week ago. How does this work? Do I have to switch back to stable branch to get those new things or is Beta branch updated to include this functionality too?
Beta supposedly also got an update including those things. (I haven't checked myself yet though)

Reactions: MomoVideo

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
It's now in Beta as well, but to answer the "how does this work" part -- this is a Steam Client update, while the Hz stuff is in a SteamOS update. Those are two separately distributed software packages with separate update streams.

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
Game profiles don't work properly for me. When I launch Tales of Arise it constantly falls back to the 20 fps cap despite me setting it to 40. Updates for external displays is nice, but my Deck still crashes when I wake it up from sleep while it is connected to a Dock.

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
What is the purpose of the elastic band and the compartment under it on the official deck carrying case?

• This!
Reactions: Li Kao

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
So profiles only work with Steam games, all non-steam games share the same profile :(
Looks like this was just fixed

• Fixed per-app performance profiles for non-Steam shortcuts
  • Fixed TDP limit slider temporarily displaying an incorrect value
  • Fixed demos and free games failing to install from the Steam Store
  • Fixed keys with AltGr functionality not being capitalized properly
  • Added rumble / haptics toggles back to the Quick Access menu
  • Updated localization

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Far too much choice for my undecided sake.
I'm installing the free Daemon X Machina EGS on my Deck right now because fuck XSEED regular price.
Then again it has been a long time since I last played FF14 and the dog days of summer are upon us, which.
And, uh, I never tried XCloud...

Too many choices.

PS. That being said... HELP ! LEANIJA ? Anyone using linux ?
I accidentally set Heroic as a widget. Then I fumbled a good five minutes until I found how to undo that, making another widget in the process. All is well that... why does my desktop wallpaper looks like this in the upper side now ? :so-good-blob:

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
PS. That being said... HELP ! LEANIJA ? Anyone using linux ?
I accidentally set Heroic as a widget. Then I fumbled a good five minutes until I found how to undo that, making another widget in the process. All is well that... why does my desktop wallpaper looks like this in the upper side now ? :so-good-blob:

This must be a panel. I now have panels on the top, left and right. No idea how to fucking disable them.
Halp :wd_rain:

Edit - Panels removed.
This shit should be covered by the Geneva convention.

Last edited:
  • Toucan

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Li Kao Yes, thats an extra panel.
Right click (aka left touchpad) on it, click "Enter Edit mode", click "More Options and then "Remove Panel"

That's easy mode. Now try finding 'More Options' on a side panel.
Yes, you have to move the panel on the top first, great use of my time, would recommend.

Huge thanks, anyways !

Reactions: LEANIJA

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
That's easy mode. Now try finding 'More Options' on a side panel.
Yes, you have to move the panel on the top first, great use of my time, would recommend.

Huge thanks, anyways !
yeah, KDE panels are a bit weird, I think they plan to make it easier. You can do A LOT with them, but equally, you can mess up a lot. I certainly did mess up a lot when I started using KDE :)

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Got my deck the other day :dualbladesblob:

What a sexy little beast of a machine.

I was losing my mind on why Dark Souls remastered had such low volume on the deck and then I went to options to see the sound/fx set to 1.

lol it remembered my desktop settings :ROFLMAO: which I usually set low because I listen to other things on my headphones.

But yea after I set to like 4 the audio is so loud. Kind of blown away by how good the speakers are. And yea 60fps souls is mind blowing on a handheld considering how much tinkering we pc gamers had to do to make that game run a stable 30 not that long ago. The game runs perfect too all the way up to gargoyles so far so kind of surprised its not verified. I don't get why using the onscreen keyboard prevents Valve from giving it check mark but wtvr.

Also I tried vampire survivors and the first 10 minutes of a run felt like the most perfect deck game ever but then all the effects on screen seemed to get very excessive. I was kind of scared to keep playing it and wondering if its really stressing the system. And I mean even on my PC the game gets a little crazy in the second half of runs. Maybe setting the game to 30fps on deck is the way to go but either way I don't think I'm gonna keep playing VS on it heh.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Also I tried vampire survivors and the first 10 minutes of a run felt like the most perfect deck game ever but then all the effects on screen seemed to get very excessive. I was kind of scared to keep playing it and wondering if its really stressing the system. And I mean even on my PC the game gets a little crazy in the second half of runs. Maybe setting the game to 30fps on deck is the way to go but either way I don't think I'm gonna keep playing VS on it heh.
I'm closing in on 20 hours of it on the Deck - don't worry, it's fiiine. The Deck isn't that flimsy :p

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
Been playing FFIV 3D and works great. Had to lower the Proton to earlier version to make audio work.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Is there a way to set up a warpinator transfer directly on the SD card ? Because if the transfer to the Deck is a little cumbersome but painless, the real Dark Souls begins when you have to put the files on the SD card.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Is there a way to set up a warpinator transfer directly on the SD card ? Because if the transfer to the Deck is a little cumbersome but painless, the real Dark Souls begins when you have to put the files on the SD card.
Yes, you can change the directory the files will be sent to in the tool.

• Hug
Reactions: Li Kao