|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Anyone knows if Project Miku is Deck compatible ?
Yes, works fine, roughly 9 Watts at the highest settings, so 4.5-5 hours per charge.
Still, I wouldn't play rhythm games on a device without a separate gamepad. I lost too many DS4s to rhythm games to not be afraid for Deck's health.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Definitely looks like it.

Hopefully they start selling them soon. The question is, will I get my Deck or my Dock first?

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
for whatever reason rebooting "fixed" it? however is that even possible, seems like it wasn't registering the button press anymore

Reactions: C-Dub

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
for whatever reason rebooting "fixed" it? however is that even possible, seems like it wasn't registering the button press anymore
Sometimes software causes drivers to have issues. A reboot will cause all the system processes to start up in their default state which will have undone any states caused by a crash/error.

It could've been a very obscure and one-off set of circumstances that caused it, and you'll never see it again. Hopefully that's the case!

If it keeps happening it might be worth contacting Steam support.

But the old adage of "try turning it off and on again" once more shows its value.

Reactions: LEANIJA

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Before they release the Dock, they need to update and improve the docking experience while you're running gaming UI because right now it's a buggy mess. I gave up on docking because it rarely worked, had tons of issues and it was crashing my Deck constantly.

Self_Destructive

Jul 19, 2021
My Deck was originally supposed to get here tomorrow, May 30th.. but then was updated to May 27th as it shipped earlier than expected.. I was all excited to get it on Friday, but Friday came and went, and as of now it's sitting in a FedEx location about 2 hours from where I live.... Not too happy about that.. but what can I do?

It should be here tomorrow, as originally planned. I can't wait to get it!

• Sad

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
I would need the Dock. Summer holiday season starts and spending more time in summer cottage.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
My Deck was originally supposed to get here tomorrow, May 30th.. but then was updated to May 27th as it shipped earlier than expected.. I was all excited to get it on Friday, but Friday came and went, and as of now it's sitting in a FedEx location about 2 hours from where I live.... Not too happy about that.. but what can I do?

It should be here tomorrow, as originally planned. I can't wait to get it!
You know what to do: break into that FedEx building and take by force what is yours.

Self_Destructive

Jul 19, 2021
This device is freaking awesome! The hardware feels great! I'm really liking the UI so far too! Very slick how they've integrated all this stuff.

Device feels great to hold, although the L1 and R1 buttons could be slightly better placed for pressing, IMO.. but I'll adjust to that naturally.

I've switched to the Beta Client, and did all my updating. All the new features are there and everything's running great.

230+ games in my Library are verified, and I'm just installing a bunch of them and testing them up. It's honestly pretty incredible seeing visuals like this run on a device like this. Once I get everything set up, and figure out all the emulation stuff, this device will be capable of sooooo much gaming. All I could ever want.

I'm very impressed. I also love tinkering and can't wait to give feedback to help improve the software and the device itself.

The only thing I'm a little disappointed in, is that the "Store" tab takes you to the web browser and isn't integrated directly into the device. That's a bummer to me and I hope they address that in the future.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
230+ games in my Library are verified, and I'm just installing a bunch of them and testing them up. It's honestly pretty incredible seeing visuals like this run on a device like this. Once I get everything set up, and figure out all the emulation stuff, this device will be capable of sooooo much gaming. All I could ever want.
Deck ratings are like points in Whose Line Is It Anyway - they don't matter.

• Love
Reactions: Self_Destructive

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I'm still 1-2 weeks out from expected in US but I wonder if they'll do Monday emails on Tuesday instead because of the holiday

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

Self_Destructive

Jul 19, 2021
I've downloaded about 10 games onto my Deck. And they've all worked excellently. I'm very VERY impressed. Dirt 5 looks and runs beautifully.

The thing also maxes out my ISP connection for downloads. I have 300Mbps and get around 38MB/s download speeds... the same as my Desktop. Very happy with that! Seems like there plenty more to spare there as well.

Going to be buying a 512GB MicroSD card, a USB-C hub for connection to external display, and screen protector and shell, to keep my deck in good condition. Very happy so far.

The small issues I do have are with the placement of the "Steam" and "· · · " buttons, which are kind of a stretch to reach and require a bit of a shuffle with the hands to reach. I think they would have been better placed directly under the D-pad and face buttons. I don't believe they would have been an issue there with regards to accidental presses.. but who knows? Luckily you're not pressing those buttons much at all when you're actually playing games.. so it's basically a small little gripe.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Started my steam deck today to test if Fallout 1 and 2 work and how. First it refuses to connect to wifi, and now when I restarted it, it is stuck on "shutting down Steam" for about 15 minutes already. I am starting to think it is stuck!

edit:
After shutting down steam deck manually and restarting my router, steam deck reconnected.
But I am too tired now to be trying Fallout.

Last edited:

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
Well, this is very worrisome. My Deck shut itself down because fans let it overheat.

I was playing ToA for about an hour, a cutscene started and I noticed that the back of the device is super hot. I opened the overlay to see a CPU and GPU go over 90 degrees. I muted my game and the fans stayed silent, they didn't even turn on. I tried grabbing few screenshots and with each screenshot made ( got only a single screenshot, the rest of them somehow got corrupted) the temps went higher until the CPU hit 105 degrees at which point Deck made a weird beep and turned itself off.

Anybody else experienced this?

• Sad
Reactions: Pommes and lashman

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
Even if they released dock as planned, the OS is too unfinished for it to be usable. I have a dock lying around, tried using it a few times and it was a pain. I'm done with trying to use this thing docked until Valve releases solid OS updates that address those issues.

Self_Destructive

Jul 19, 2021
Even if they released dock as planned, the OS is too unfinished for it to be usable. I have a dock lying around, tried using it a few times and it was a pain. I'm done with trying to use this thing docked until Valve releases solid OS updates that address those issues.
What issues?

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
What issues?
Firstly, when you turn on the Deck while it is connected to a monitor, the display will be scaled incorrectly and it will make only a part of a screen visible. I have to replug the dock to fix this, and even then this not always work.

Secondly, it doesn't automatically switch to my speakers that are connected to the monitor, I have to do it manually.

Thirdly, if I put the Deck to sleep while it is connected to the monitor and then wake it up, the Deck will crash after few seconds.

Uhhh... Fourthly? The gaming UI matches the monitor resolution but the game can't output higher resolution than 1280x800. There are no resolution settings in gaming UI.

Lastly, half of the time unplugging the dock while the game is running will crash the Deck.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Firstly, when you turn on the Deck while it is connected to a monitor, the display will be scaled incorrectly and it will make only a part of a screen visible. I have to replug the dock to fix this, and even then this not always work.

Secondly, it doesn't automatically switch to my speakers that are connected to the monitor, I have to do it manually.

Thirdly, if I put the Deck to sleep while it is connected to the monitor and then wake it up, the Deck will crash after few seconds.

Uhhh... Fourthly? The gaming UI matches the monitor resolution but the game can't output higher resolution than 1280x800. There are no resolution settings in gaming UI.

Lastly, half of the time unplugging the dock while the game is running will crash the Deck.
Not that it's an excuse, but outside of the crashing those are all things I see regularly in Windows too :shrugblob: Given the rate they've been updating the OS for main current Deck uses I expect when the official dock is sooner available, they'll focus on that too. I have to believe that just not many people are docking the thing right now.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Using May's 1.12% share, that puts Linux users at around ~1,478,400 estimated "monthly active users" based on the last time Valve gave out their user data. While you could say that to be around ~77,320 Steam Deck users, it doesn't really work like that, since it's usually an additional device but still fun to check.
I thought this was an interesting estimate as to how many potential Decks are out in the wild now. I know Valve said they wanted to ship hundreds of thousands of them starting in April, but with the COVID lockdowns in Shanghai, it probably became a lot more challenging to achieve that.

• Sad

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
As the article notes, there's a pretty big issue with this -- especially the early adopters are probably predominantly existing Steam users.

I actually got the popup for May (first time in 2 years or so), but it was on my main PC.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
As the article notes, there's a pretty big issue with this -- especially the early adopters are probably predominantly existing Steam users.

I actually got the popup for May (first time in 2 years or so), but it was on my main PC.
I got it for both the Deck and my main PC actually. Which also means that percentage wise it was counted for both OSes. I do expect that we are probably above 100K Steam Deck units shipped at this point, but the hardware survey isn't a good way to find out about it, not until it ships to a wider audience.

Reactions: Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I got it for both the Deck and my main PC actually. Which also means that percentage wise it was counted for both OSes. I do expect that we are probably above 100K Steam Deck units shipped at this point, but the hardware survey isn't a good way to find out about it, not until it ships to a wider audience.
That's really interesting. I thought they'd distribute it to accounts rather than devices. If that's not the case, then the numbers should be a bit more meaningful.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I was just about to post this :D
here is the blogpost to go along with it, anyway:

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
Steam Deck Client Update: External displays, controllers, and perf updates

• Added Game Resolution setting to App Properties, allowing players to override the max display resolution for games, on a a per-game basis
  • Added mouse cursor (using right trackpad) for built-in web browser interactions when connected to an external display
  • Improved default aspect ratio behavior for external monitors - games will now default to 1280x800 for 16:10 external displays and 1280x720 for all other external displays
  • Improved UI performance in game carousels
  • Improved UI performance when connected to an external display
  • Improved controller order when using external gamepads to assign the controller slots by the order of input. This should help with compatibility in games which locked onto the Steam Deck controller.
  • Fixed 'Enable updated fan control' toggle not remembering its state across reboots
  • Fixed Bluetooth controllers not working on the lockscreen
  • Fixed some formatting issues on the Steam Deck Chord Summary page
  • Fixed issue preventing deletion of some controller layouts
  • Temporarily disabled adaptive brightness toggle, as it was causing performance and stability issues. Big thanks to the community for catching this weird bug - we're working on a fix for it now.
Looks like another solid update, partially aimed at the docking experience.

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
How are perf with the SD Card ? Does it make sense to play big AAA shit from the SD or will something be too compromised ? I think I read the load times were not that much longer ?
Yeah, I just saw HFD is 100go and Days Gone is 70. My Deck is on suicide watch.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I think from a good SD card, read speed is in the range of a mechanical drive. I haven't used a HDD outside of my Unraid server in so long that I think I've forgotten how slow those are.

It'll probably be fine for some games. But even SATA SSDs make a difference in some games.