|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - Our decks are going places

malfatan

Jul 25, 2022
So, I started Wasteland 2 Director's Cut instead... Also listed as playable, but with some missing inputs.
The game starts, and only touch controls are available in the menu and during character creation, making the process frustrating to say the least.

I think I need to run the character creation on my PC before attempting to play the game again on the Deck.
I just have the GOG version, but it works well on the deck. Just have to change the input method to Xbox in the game's options menu If you have or want a controller layout, or download one of the community layouts if you want to use keyboard&mouse.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
I just have the GOG version, but it works well on the deck. Just have to change the input method to Xbox in the game's options menu If you have or want a controller layout, or download one of the community layouts if you want to use keyboard&mouse.
Yeah, I know. It just felt so stupid from a dev standpoint that the entire character generation had no specific controls assigned, making the process so incredibly fiddly.

But it's an old game, so one shouldn't expect too much.

Reactions: malfatan

Anteater

⚡ Giant Pikamee Fan ⚡
Sep 20, 2018
www.pixiv.net
Been reading this conversation about how Steam deck isn't selling as much as console or whatever, how it's not mainstream and downplaying its success.

Some of these people are missing the point, people aren't fighting a console war, people are genuinely happy this weird device for tech enthusiasts are actually doing relatively good and people are generally happy such a thing exists and will continue to improve.

Like for example if a Linux distro spreading to more mainstream audience and the first take you have is "LMAO IT's STILL SHIT COMPARED TO WINDOWS" then yeah that's a super weird take and speaks more about your character more than anything.

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Last edited:

Anteater

⚡ Giant Pikamee Fan ⚡
Sep 20, 2018
www.pixiv.net
Anyone was able to get Shin-chan to run at 1920x1080? It's the maximum res and I tried increasing it in the game property box, it sorta works but the game only let me choose 1920x800...

It looks nice enough at that res and got rid of most jaggies but could use higher pixel density to get rid of the rest. The game barely uses the gpu since it's mostly pre rendered backgrounds.

Reactions: lashman and Li Kao

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Anyone was able to get Shin-chan to run at 1920x1080? It's the maximum res and I tried increasing it in the game property box, it sorta works but the game only let me choose 1920x800...

It looks nice enough at that res and got rid of most jaggies but could use higher pixel density to get rid of the rest. The game barely uses the gpu since it's mostly pre rendered backgrounds.
Did you set the game resolution to 1080p and check the box to use it for the internal display in the game's Steam properties?

Anteater

⚡ Giant Pikamee Fan ⚡
Sep 20, 2018
www.pixiv.net
FF7 Remake runs pretty good, I imagine they probably did more work on it, the slums run fine for the most part, just stuttering like loading when you run around through it fast, and there's 1 section with framerate drops to the 30s when you fight the ghost thingies, but that didn't really last long. At chapter 4 now.

Did you set the game resolution to 1080p and check the box to use it for the internal display in the game's Steam properties?
Yeah I checked the box to use the resolution for both internal/external display, but the in-game options won't let me choose 1920 x 1080, only 1920 x 800 for some strange reason.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
FF7 Remake runs pretty good, I imagine they probably did more work on it, the slums run fine for the most part, just stuttering like loading when you run around through it fast, and there's 1 section with framerate drops to the 30s when you fight the ghost thingies, but that didn't really last long. At chapter 4 now.
I beat the EGS version of FF VII Remake recently on Deck, so I did not have any cache built, but I switched to Dx11 and disabled dynamic resolution. Worked really well at 40 fps with high textures, low shadows and an 11 TDP limit IIRC. Some dips and stutters in slums, market, and a few slowdowns during heavier action, but otherwise a pleasant experience.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Do Dosbox games (owned on Steam) play out of the box on the Deck, or do you need to do something special to get them to run?

Anypne who knows or has tried?

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Do Dosbox games (owned on Steam) play out of the box on the Deck, or do you need to do something special to get them to run?

Anypne who knows or has tried?

I only played Commander Keen, which played fine. I think DOSBox games generally run pretty well via Proton, but you can always use ProtonUpQt to install Boxtron, which will make DOS games use the native Linux DOSBox version.
And you can always check ProtonDB to see how well games run out of the box :)

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
So people who play big games from the SD, how is your experience ? Why yes, I'm still in the middle of my ssd crisis.
I'm just too lazy to sell my Deck in order to buy the 512, for one. So yeah, let's say I put a big AAA on the SD, will I get worse perf than on the SSD ? Longer loadings by a tad, but that's no big deal.

By the way I finally looked for it and found the post that made me wary of using the SD to play big games.

The problem with SD cards are not peak speeds, but sustained ones. Especially for the writes, installing or moving games from SSD to SD is pain.
Knurek is totally right about transfer speed, please don’t do this at home, but I somehow put the idea that it could be bad for games into my head. Thinking about it, I’m really not sure sustained write speed is that important in games.

I’m dumb - case study #25375

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Yeah I checked the box to use the resolution for both internal/external display, but the in-game options won't let me choose 1920 x 1080, only 1920 x 800 for some strange reason.
Yeah, that's strange. I'm currently using 1080p internal to play Nights of Azure on the Deck, and there the setting showed up in the menu after selecting the resolution in the properties.

So people who play big games from the SD, how is your experience ? Why yes, I'm still in the middle of my ssd crisis.
I'm just too lazy to sell my Deck in order to buy the 512, for one. So yeah, let's say I put a big AAA on the SD, will I get worse perf than on the SSD ? Longer loadings by a tad, but that's no big deal.
I use an SD card for many games, but I try to make a "smart" decision on where to put them based on what I expect their IO load to be. I.e. if I play a high-end open world game I put that on internal storage, but if a game is just "big" but without special IO requirements (like a JRPG) I put that on the SD card.

I haven't actually measured performance, but I had no issues so far. The slowest part of SD cards by far is writing, and games don't write to their storage location.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Durante Can you dumb down 'IO load' ? I understand it means input output but google is trying to convince me it's some sort of visual novel.
As a rule of thumb what type of games have big IO req ? Just AAA Open Worlds ?

And while we are at it, I see...
Samsung Evo Select MB-ME512KA/UE Carte mémoire microSDXC UHS-I U3 130 Mo/s Full HD & 4K UHD avec Adaptateur SD Bleu 512GB
for 76 euros
or
Samsung PRO Plus MB-MD512KA/EU Carte mémoire microSDXC UHS-I U3 160 Mo/s Full HD & 4K UHD avec adaptateur SD 512 Go
for 90 euros

Should I go for the pricier one ? Does the speed difference justify it in Deck use ?
I would really like a Sandisk Extreme Pro 1tb but that seems to cost an arm.

Last edited:

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Durante Can you dumb down 'IO load' ? I understand it means input output but google is trying to convince me it's some sort of visual novel.
My rule of a thumb is - if a game is larger than 4 GB or has loads of small files (looking at you World of Final Fantasy), I'm never putting it on the SD card.
Also, the point is moot if you have the 64 GB deck, as it uses eMMC drive, and those are pretty much SD cards in a special enclosure.

• Hug
Reactions: Li Kao

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Yeah, recent open world games are the most obvious case. With everything else there shouldn't be too much of a difference (maybe outside some loading time increases).

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
As I'm nowhere near having the GPU to max Cyberpunk, would you say going the other direction and playing it on Deck would be a good experience ?

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
As I'm nowhere near having the GPU to max Cyberpunk, would you say going the other direction and playing it on Deck would be a good experience ?
I played it on Deck. It was an enjoyable experience. Not perfect, it stuttered while driving and the framerate could dip in heavier action, but otherwise it was playable. I played with a mix of high-medium-low settings and it looked amazing on the Deck screen. I also played with FSR 2 mod, but since then CDPR added native support for that in the latest patch. Maybe it will perform slightly better than with the mod.

Reactions: Li Kao and LEANIJA

Anteater

⚡ Giant Pikamee Fan ⚡
Sep 20, 2018
www.pixiv.net
Tried to play One Piece World Seeker, don't know why but the frame pacing or whatever is extremely bad, it's running at 60fps and just feels really laggy with the framerate graph thingy going crazy, I tried turning on in game vsync, it's a lot better but still kind of stuttery.

Anteater

⚡ Giant Pikamee Fan ⚡
Sep 20, 2018
www.pixiv.net
oh that's cool, if they get HDR working I'd probably try hooking it up to my TV.

I tried scott pilgrim and it runs, didn't need to log into ubi or anything, think it automatically linked into ubi connect, but it has no controller support.

Last edited:
  • Sad

Anteater

⚡ Giant Pikamee Fan ⚡
Sep 20, 2018
www.pixiv.net
I was getting some flashes with the steam overlay UI and turns out I accidentally had it locked at 40hz when I was outside of the game, putting it back on 60hz seem to have solved it.

• Comfy

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
Did anyone play Persona 5 Royal on their Steam Deck? For some reason, the controls are much more sluggish than on my windows laptop. Both running at 60 fps. I disabled v-sync and enabled tearing in Deck's quick access menu, but that did not help.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Cardiff, Wales
www.playedthat.com
Did anyone play Persona 5 Royal on their Steam Deck? For some reason, the controls are much more sluggish than on my windows laptop. Both running at 60 fps. I disabled v-sync and enabled tearing in Deck's quick access menu, but that did not help.
I didn’t notice any delay except when I plugged my Deck into my dock. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t there - I just didn’t notice it.

I was running the game at 60fps but set the resolution to 1080p as back when it launched, text looked rotten at 720p.

FunnyJay