|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - Our decks are going places

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Valve promoted it as working on Deck at the Tokyo Games Show. Even if it does run, the fans will likely sound like a jet engine and it'll have an hour battery life.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Vantr

Feb 15, 2021
That is a nice setup. I'm heading to Japan soon and was looking for portable monitors and came across these https://www.nreal.ai/air/ (can't get any more portable than glasses). I've been spending most of my time playing while wearing these and it's nice. Also I prefer the displays on the glasses (turns out is is an OLED display) to the steam deck display.

It does require a messy setup if you want to run it while charging the Deck.

Pretty excited to try my setup on the plane.

• Gib
Reactions: Gintaro and lashman

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I played the Forspoken demo for about 15 minutes. I'm no Digital Foundry, but here are a few thoughts off the top of my head:

-Defaults at low settings. Looks kind of ugly, but it is what it is.
-Runs at an inconsistent 30 FPS. There are plenty of frame rate drops when in combat. I think part of it might be shader compilation issues though? I was getting dips into the single digits during the first few minutes, but it smoothed out and I was "only" getting dips into the low-mid 20s by the time I stopped
-Battery life is between 90 minutes and 2 hours, depending on how much is happening on screen
-The fan was going crazy at the title screen, but calmed down during gameplay. It picks up during the intense scenes though.

I don't think it is a game I would play on Deck, but the fact it runs at all, and in a fairly playable state, is impressive.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Is there a way to force a lock to max of 30fps? Fans going crazy at the menu to me says it's running uncapped at that point.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I've read mixed results across Reddit and other sites.

The Verge says it's a no go, but the comments from the article implies it's probably wonkiness with SteamOS (and this is The Verge we're talking about).

For what it's worth, someone is streaming it on Deck right now and it looks pretty smooth outside of shader compilation.

Edit: it dipped below 30 during a cutscene. I don't plan to play it on the Deck, but I'm curious about its performance.

Last edited:

Anteater

⚡ Giant Pikamee Fan ⚡
Sep 20, 2018
www.pixiv.net
Yeah guess we'll need more reports on dead space remake, hope they're things that can be improved.

I've been playing Hi-Fi Rush, it runs well on the Deck but I'm getting some drops in the lava section, but gpu wasn't maxed out so I wonder what was going on.

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I may need to look for settings for Death Stranding vanilla. Left them pretty much alone yesterday and fps fluctuate between 40 and sub 25. It's not horrible given the game and the ability to play in handheld form, but it's rough.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I just tried to load The Division 2 and can confirm it is broken. I can also confirm The Division 2 is no longer installed on my Steam Deck.

• Toucan
Reactions: MomoVideo

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

New SteamOS update

~

Eh, I assume it will be fixed very quickly.
yup... Works again with the latest Proton Experimental (Bleeding Edge) – just tested with Watch Dogs Legion

Reason: clarified that its Proton Experimental – Bleeding Edge (which you can activate in the beta options of Proton Experimental)
Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Installed Midnight Suns on the Deck SD card and the skip launcher launch command crashes the game.
I strongly suspect that because my command line begins by "/run/media/" etc with no drive letter.

Any help ?

By the way, I hope it's a one time thing but I tried launching the game on the desktop and the first few logos are super laggy.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Installed Midnight Suns on the Deck SD card and the skip launcher launch command crashes the game.
I strongly suspect that because my command line begins by "/run/media/" etc with no drive letter.

Any help ?

By the way, I hope it's a one time thing but I tried launching the game on the desktop and the first few logos are super laggy.
whats your command line?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
whats your command line?
A variation on "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Marvel's Midnight Suns\MidnightSuns\Binaries\Win64\MidnightSuns-Win64-Shipping.exe" but without the drive and pointing to the SD.

I already found an answer, but maybe you can confirm
eval $(echo "%command%" | sed "s/2KLauncher\/LauncherPatcher.exe/MidnightSuns\/Binaries\/Win64\/MidnightSuns-Win64-Shipping.exe/")

I have no idea what this is but it seems to work.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
A variation on "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Marvel's Midnight Suns\MidnightSuns\Binaries\Win64\MidnightSuns-Win64-Shipping.exe" but without the drive and pointing to the SD.

I already found an answer, but maybe you can confirm
eval $(echo "%command%" | sed "s/2KLauncher\/LauncherPatcher.exe/MidnightSuns\/Binaries\/Win64\/MidnightSuns-Win64-Shipping.exe/")

I have no idea what this is but it seems to work.
huh... well, i also dont know what this is D: but as long as it works... good ;) (i thought that if i saw the command line it would maybe ring a bell concerning folder structure or something, but unfortunately, it doesnt)

• Hug
Reactions: Li Kao

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Li Kao
My basic knowledge is saying that it is taking whatever is in "Command" and replacing "2KLauncher/LauncherPatcher.exe" with "MidnightSuns/Binaries/Win64/MidnightSuns-Win64-Shipping.exe" then executing it. That suggests that command is running the launcher patcher not the game exe.

Echo the command into SED which is the Stream Editor, S is replace command, "/old/new/" are the strings to replace and then it is passed to eval which will run it. The "\/" is a form of "escaping" the "/" in the path so it isn't stripped out or you'd end up with either a syntax error from Sed or "MidnightSunsBinariesWin64MidnightSuns-Win64-Shipping.exe" for example.

• Hug
Reactions: Li Kao