News XBox Game Pass for PC is live ($4.99/mo)

Big_Al

Miserable old git
Jan 22, 2019
Think I'll wait until after tonight's E3 Conference before picking it up, hopefully we'll get the new store/downloader coming out around then as well and not have to download with Windows Store.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
This is going to give Microsoft a sizeable foothold when it comes to pushing their new, presumably not crappy, Store. That's a really good lineup of games that is even better when you factor in that all of MS's first party stuff comes to it. I wonder how long they intend to keep the price this low.

Reactions: Ge0force

Ryne

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2018
Nothing there for me yet, since I bought the games I wanted to play already. I hope the library grows, then I'll indulge.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
subbed to it, I had like €3 in my microsoft account balance, so why not, if I play even 1 game it'll be worth it

Reactions: 「Echo」

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
This is insane value. I guess when you have competitors like Origin Access and Humble Monthly, you need to price appropriately.

I can't see the £3.99 price holding for long.

Last edited:
Reactions: xinek

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Crazy good value, I'm so tempted! Probably will hold off until Gears 5 drops though... although by then I might be tempted to get the Steam version instead... Gah! Choices! o_O

Anyway, this is the kinda ""competition"" I actually like to see. None of those dirty EGS tactics! Well played MS.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I'm glad I held out on using my free trial that came with my xbone controller. Now I can dip my toe into this.
edit: just so I'm clear, this is kinda like Gametap from Microsoft, right? I don't own any of the things I play

Last edited:

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
Wow, this is pretty good. I already have Game Pass for console, I wonder if this is included with that subscription?

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I'm glad I held out on using my free trial that came with my xbone controller. Now I can dip my toe into this.
edit: just so I'm clear, this is kinda like Gametap from Microsoft, right? I don't own any of the things I play
Essentially, yes. Plus games will come and go from the service over time, so don't expect to keep the games you have on Game Pass forever, even if you remain subscribed.

I expect a new thing we'll see in the PC space is publishers discounting their games on various online stores as they rotate out of Game Pass.

Wow, this is pretty good. I already have Game Pass for console, I wonder if this is included with that subscription?
It isn't. You'll need to buy a separate PC Game Pass subscription or buy Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, which is both PC and Xbox Game Pass plus Gold rolled into one sub. I think there's some sort of deal right now where people's remaining months of Gold/Game Pass can be converted to Ultimate. I think I saw some folks on Era getting subscriptions through to 2022 for peanuts. Might be worth looking into if you've pre-paid a lot of Gold/Game Pass.

Reactions: warp_

tmarg

Apr 20, 2019
I believe it is if you have "ultimate" (xbl gold plus game pass, but not if you are buying game pass by itself.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
As someone who traditionally has had a disdain for MS to say the least, I'm definitely going to jump on this for $1 to check it out and probably for the future if it stays at $5. It also feels good to support MS, as giving money to them for this feels like spitting in Epic's face. Phenomenal move by MS. Never thought I'd say that in my lifetime.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
It isn't. You'll need to buy a separate PC Game Pass subscription or buy Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, which is both PC and Xbox Game Pass plus Gold rolled into one sub. I think there's some sort of deal right now where people's remaining months of Gold/Game Pass can be converted to Ultimate. I think I saw some folks on Era getting subscriptions through to 2022 for peanuts. Might be worth looking into if you've pre-paid a lot of Gold/Game Pass.
Thanks for the tip! I subbed for $1 and it converted me to Ultimate and combined my Gold+Game Pass subs into a longer time

Reactions: Ge0force and C-Dub

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
That price is ridiculously cheap for what game pass offers. This is how you offer healthy competition for pc gaming!

This said, devs who don't succeed in getting their games on game pass may become less successful because of this. As owner of the Netflix for gaming, Microsoft plays a huge role in the future of gaming. I really hope they won't abuse this sooner or later...

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
Hmm... $5? Yeah, that price is gonna go up. I do see early adopters being grandfathered in at $5, though... Maybe.

Reactions: Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Annoyance #2: ReCore data is encrypted. Just why? This is a single-player game, there's not even a bad reason to do this.
My theory is that games using Xbox Live must be encrypted. Achievements become worthless once people start using hacking tools to unlock them on pc.

Never thought I'd ever see you playing uwp games by the way 🤭

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
My theory is that games using Xbox Live must be encrypted. Achievements become worthless once people start using hacking tools to unlock them on pc.
That's only if you assign an extremely stupid measure of "worth" to achievements in the first place.

And even then, you can always cheat to get achievements, it's just a bit harder. It's stupid.

Reactions: xinek

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Can I play these games with regular gamepass, or do I have to upgrade to this?

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
That's only if you assign an extremely stupid measure of "worth" to achievements in the first place.
Many console gamers seem to care a lot about achievements. Lots of people I know use achievement guides while playing games, and some of them are even fine with buying and playing shitty games if they have easy achievements. I can't possibly understand this, but as long as they have fun... 😉

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
Can I play these games with regular gamepass, or do I have to upgrade to this?
if you have gold and gamepass you can upgrade to "game pass ultimate" (xbl gold+xbox gamepass + pc gamepass) for $1 right now and it will boost your sub by adding the time remaining on your gamepass and gold subs together.

if you can, buy another year of gold to extend your ultimate sub even longer, though it will only convert a total of 36 months.