News XBox Game Pass for PC is live ($4.99/mo)

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
The game list is impressive indeed.
Plenty of games that interest me like Imperator:Rome, Mutant Year Zero, Thimbleweed Park, Forza 4, Sunset Overdrive.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Sio, Ultimate doesnt work for PC from what I understand, you have to buy the 'PC games' option.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
So I can't download the new PC app because I'm a single Windows update behind. I'm holding off on updating because Microsoft broke something with WMR (VR). Apparently the newest update makes the visuals blurry. This is great.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
The only downside I can think off for GP is that if a game is getting removed while you're midthrough then yeah that sucks, But at least it gives you the option to buy at a discount.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The only downside I can think off for GP is that if a game is getting removed while you're midthrough then yeah that sucks, But at least it gives you the option to buy at a discount.
As I said earlier, even if you don't want to buy a game on Windows Store, I reckon we'll see conveniently scheduled discounts on Steam and GOG for games rolling out of Game Pass.

One thing I really dislike about Windows Store that they haven't fixed is if your game comes under a certain filesize (I think it's less than 10gb) then it doesn't ask you where you want to install it; it just assumes that location will be the C drive, The thing is, my C Drive is an SSD, which is the last place I want to put a load of small games. They'll load fast enough from my mechanical drive!

Of course you can move them after the fact from the Windows control panel, but they really should ask for the install location for every game.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
You don't actually need the Xbox app to play the games. (Or at least ReCore, which I played... actually really like it so far)

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
One thing I really dislike about Windows Store that they haven't fixed is if your game comes under a certain filesize (I think it's less than 10gb) then it doesn't ask you where you want to install it; it just assumes that location will be the C drive, The thing is, my C Drive is an SSD, which is the last place I want to put a load of small games. They'll load fast enough from my mechanical drive!

Of course you can move them after the fact from the Windows control panel, but they really should ask for the install location for every game.
You can change the default save location for Windows Store games. Just go to Settings->System->Storage->Change where new content is saved and set the drive you want "Apps" to save to.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Please someone download Metro Exodus and check if the game files aren't encrypted.

Also, I suppose Microsoft isn't paying Deep Silver for each download?

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I'll be trying Abzu, ReCore and The Surge for a start.
The value really is great.
Makes me be wary of future PC game purchases as they may suddenly be on game pass. Especially the one-and-done SP games. Despite owning Vampyr on Steam, I may just use the game pass version for the Xbox achievements.

Xiaomi

The Texas Hammer
May 12, 2019
Taiwan
Weird place to ask but the Microsoft conference thread is locked for me, but people are still posting. Did I miss a thing?

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
Weird place to ask but the Microsoft conference thread is locked for me, but people are still posting. Did I miss a thing?
The current chat is shared as a thread but only those participating in the chat will show up in there. I believe it's only accessible for folks with full member status.. but I might be wrong. I'm still a junior and haven't tried, it's just something I remember someone mentioning a while back.

Afterwards it will be opened up as a proper thread for everyone to post in.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
So, when I look at the purchase page (USA), it says $1 with ($4.99/month) crossed out, implying that's the usual price.
In the conference, they said pc game pass is $10/mo. What is the real price going to be?

oipic

Resident Lurker
Sep 19, 2018
So, when I look at the purchase page (USA), it says $1 with ($4.99/month) crossed out, implying that's the usual price.
In the conference, they said pc game pass is $10/mo. What is the real price going to be?
$4.99/month is the price during the beta, following which it'll switch to full price - no idea how long the 'beta' is though.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018

So I bought Gamepass, but Windows Store does not care?

How am I supposed to download these games?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I believe it's only accessible for folks with full member status.. but I might be wrong. I'm still a junior and haven't tried, it's just something I remember someone mentioning a while back.
that is incorrect ... everyone has access to the chat ;) Bethesda up next ... join us! :)

Reactions: PossiblyPudding

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
After 2 downloads of Gears 4 and at least 3-4 of Gears 1 Ultimate (it kept resetting), why am I surprised with anything on the Windows Store?

Edit: wtf is this now? I need to connect a device? Why? Where?

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
$4.99/month is the price during the beta, following which it'll switch to full price - no idea how long the 'beta' is though.
Ah, this totally makes sense. It's unclear because it doesn't say beta anywhere on that page until you scroll down. Thanks!

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I think I cant get the $1 price since I already have the regular GamePass active, fuck.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Ahh.. what a nice combination... servers getting hammered and Microsoft great error messages.

Also, kind of funny that searching for "Game Pass PC" on the Store App sends you to a external link to download a traditional installer.

(at least the app itself appears to be a great improvement... when the servers talk back to it :p)

Reactions: NarohDethan

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Ah, my bad. Guess I should have followed up after I read that. :disappointed-face:

Thanks for the heads up though! I'll definitely try to pop into chat soon! :)
well it's closed right now :p they're only active during livestreams ... but the Bethesda one starts soon, so be there :)

Reactions: PossiblyPudding

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Right now I'm on garbo internet and I own a lot of the games that pique my interest on this list, but I'll keep an eye out as the list expands.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Ok after a restart where I had to reactivate my login to Windows, I could download the Xbox app. Which does not install, because I have to update my Windows first.

Reactions: NarohDethan

r3n4ud

Dr. Boom Boom
Oct 17, 2018
I had to roll back 1903 earlier, after updating to it. I wasn’t able to play any games as they were all freezing at main menu.

Guess no game pass for me 😩

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Windows Pro 1809, no xbox beta app

Games that I've tried (and working). Downloaded through the win store:
Sea of Thieves
Forza 4
Sunset Overdrive
Thimbleweed Park
Ori
Crackdown 3
Gears 4

Games not working:
Mutant Year Zero (needs 1903)
Imperator Rome (needs 1903)
Metro Exodus (needs 1903)
Shenmu 1+2 (needs 1903)

1906 isn't available for me though. I remember reading that there is a problem with AMD RAID Drivers, so the updated was postponed.
I'm a bit dissapointed because of Mutant Year Zero and Imperator, but I'm not complaining. It was just 1€ after all, but they need to figure this "people are forced to sit on different windows versions" stuff out! Some people being left behind because of not working windows updates is a no go, once this starts costing 10€+.

They also need to implement a "show all my game pass titles" function in win store asap.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
A question if you please: Are the games from the MS pass UWP or win32?
At least the ones that were already on the Windows Store seem to be UWP still. (Tried Abzu and ReCore).
The new Xbox App downloads the games from the WinStore essentially.
Don't know about the new games.

Reactions: m_dorian

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Windows Pro 1809, no xbox beta app

Games that I've tried (and working). Downloaded through the win store:
Sea of Thieves
Forza 4
Sunset Overdrive
Thimbleweed Park
Ori
Crackdown 3
Gears 4

Games not working:
Mutant Year Zero (needs 1903)
Imperator Rome (needs 1903)
Metro Exodus (needs 1903)
Shenmu 1+2 (needs 1903)

1906 isn't available for me though. I remember reading that there is a problem with AMD RAID Drivers, so the updated was postponed.
I'm a bit dissapointed because of Mutant Year Zero and Imperator, but I'm not complaining. It was just 1€ after all, but they need to figure this "people are forced to sit on different windows versions" stuff out! Some people being left behind because of not working windows updates is a no go, once this starts costing 10€+.

They also need to implement a "show all my game pass titles" function in win store asap.
Yeah, the lack of that is one of the many things that are a bit stupid.
But they do have cloud saves and achievements and user reviews and a fucking checkout system that works so that's nice (it's sad how low the bar is).

Regarding your updating issue, did you try using the manual update program? I did that yesterday after also not getting the automatic update.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Another fun fact: I was wondering why I didn't get achievement pop ups. Apparently Microsoft's "Focus Mode" was blocking the achievement notifications from showing up during games. Amusing.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
X-posting:

For those interested: Gowans on ERA made a nice overview of some of the titles that will release on game pass. According to Klobrille, out of the 60 games shown, 36 will release on game pass.

MS First-party
  • Age of Empires 2 DE [PC]
  • Wasteland 3
  • Psyconaughts 2
  • Gears 5 - 10th Sept 2019
  • The Outer Worlds - 25th Oct 2019
  • Bleeding Edge
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisp - 11th Feb 2020
  • Minecraft Dungeons - Spring 2020
  • Battletoads
  • Halo Infinite - Holiday 2020
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator