News XBox Game Pass for PC is live ($4.99/mo)

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Does anyone have any idea how I add some of these games as Non-Steam Games? GloSC can find the UWP ones, but some games like Into the Breach and such aren't seen as UWP apps by GloSC and I have no idea how to add them.

Edit: UWPHook found them.

Last edited:

hankenta

Dec 9, 2018
I subbed, but I'm only allowed to install some games, like Forza and Halo Wars, but not games I want like Void Bastards and Metro.

Edit: Oh, you need to install the volatile insider builds to use this? Why didn't they warn about that before making us pay?

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
After having to update Windows, I could finally start the Xbox app and download Metro Exodus. Kinda funny that I can play it now for 1€ instead of the 50€ I would have paid for Day 1 if they hadn't ditched Steam for the EGS.

But my problems did not stop here sadly. I played Metro (with RTX on, looked gorgeous), for about one hour. Then died during a gunfight. The game had not autosaved at all. The only options I had were Quit Game or Return to Menu. I restarted, the game lost all graphic settings as well then. I tried new game, it did not let me skip to opening cutscene. I Alt+F4's and uninstalled.

Reactions: m_dorian

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I subbed, but I'm only allowed to install some games, like Forza and Halo Wars, but not games I want like Void Bastards and Metro.

Edit: Oh, you need to install the volatile insider builds to use this? Why didn't they warn about that before making us pay?
No insider required, just the May update. It hasn’t rolled out to every PC yet, but you can force the update.

Reactions: Matimeo

hankenta

Dec 9, 2018
No insider required, just the May update. It hasn’t rolled out to every PC yet, but you can force the update.
Thanks. I was lloking around in the update centre enabling and disabling the preview builds when the real update suddenly appeared.
It's really strange that there's basically no easily available information on how this works when you sign up for it. You go to the Windows store and it says you own the games, but you can also buy them. Some games are not available to install and it's not clear why until you start going into the details further down the store page. When you go to fix it they send you to a page explaining how to enable the insider builds (this is why I got confused).

Last edited:

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
Here is russian price ($5 and $10) on gp, which you should seek ONLY at resellers (in august?), Good luck with it.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Here is russian price ($5 and $10) on gp, which you should seek ONLY at resellers (in august?), Good luck with it.

So no way to buy it online? Can other software be bought online via the win store?

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Thanks. I was lloking around in the update centre enabling and disabling the preview builds when the real update suddenly appeared.
It's really strange that there's basically no easily available information on how this works when you sign up for it. You go to the Windows store and it says you own the games, but you can also buy them. Some games are not available to install and it's not clear why until you start going into the details further down the store page. When you go to fix it they send you to a page explaining how to enable the insider builds (this is why I got confused).
Yeah, the whole thing is still a bit roundabout.
I only read by chance that the May Update is required, I was under the assumption you need an Insider Build as well, since the page leads to there.
The new Xbox Beta App just downloads games via the Microsoft Store (to the point where even if you close the program the download keeps going until you cancel/pause it in the Store app).
And achievements and screenshots and whatever are only in the Xbox Companion App (or at least I haven't found them in the new app).
And for the overlay with screenshots and stuff you need to have game bar activated.
Feels all a bit weirdly separated.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Which is good, because I neither want to use the game bar nor the xbox app.
Windows Store is enough tbh.
Yeah, it's not really a bad thing.
I'm just used to Steam being everything in one program, haha.

Reactions: ISee

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Yeah, the whole thing is still a bit roundabout.
I only read by chance that the May Update is required, I was under the assumption you need an Insider Build as well, since the page leads to there.
The new Xbox Beta App just downloads games via the Microsoft Store (to the point where even if you close the program the download keeps going until you cancel/pause it in the Store app).
And achievements and screenshots and whatever are only in the Xbox Companion App (or at least I haven't found them in the new app).
And for the overlay with screenshots and stuff you need to have game bar activated.
Feels all a bit weirdly separated.
And you can't even take screenshots with a controller as far as I can tell.

They have a ton of work to do to even get the basics right -- and yet, they are already doing far better than Epic. Pfft.

sauce

Babushkats
Dec 3, 2018
Is anyone having trouble even downloading the xbox beta app? It's stalling at 130.00 KB to download. I just wanted to play Shenmue I&II :confounded-face:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Is anyone having trouble even downloading the xbox beta app? It's stalling at 130.00 KB to download. I just wanted to play Shenmue I&II :confounded-face:
First it redownloaded DirectX and UWP Developer Kit 2015 for me in the background. The installer itself seemed to "hang" and did nothing, but I checked the windows store and those two things were downloading. It continued afterwards.

sauce

Babushkats
Dec 3, 2018
First it redownloaded DirectX and UWP Developer Kit 2015 for me in the background. The installer itself seemed to "hang" and did nothing, but I checked the windows store and those two things were downloading. It continued afterwards.
I can't even check windows store to see what it's installing. I had no luck trying to install the beta from there, so i went onto their site and downloaded the installer, but the installer's hanging like you said. not sure what to do here lol

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Alright, so I've tried The Surge and wanted to play it with my Steam Controller.
The game itself is a regular Win32 program, but it's still in that stupid oversecured WindowsApp folder.
Can't add it as a non-Steam game because the application doesn't have permission to open the exe. Hurray.
...You are so close Microsoft, so close! :/
I remembered there is GloSC, so I installed that, but same thing. Ironically GloSC supports UWP games, but that doesn't work either because The Surge is win32 😂

Also I can see how Game Pass makes people buy more games (according to Microsoft). Like, I've tried The Surge now and can see that I'd definitely enjoy that, but it's a long and difficult game and I don't plan to sub to Game Pass forever, so having it in my library and being able to go at it on my own pace will be preferable.
I guess in a sense for some games it's just a glorified paid demo service for me, lol.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Alright, so I've tried The Surge and wanted to play it with my Steam Controller.
The game itself is a regular Win32 program, but it's still in that stupid oversecured WindowsApp folder.
Can't add it as a non-Steam game because the application doesn't have permission to open the exe. Hurray.
...You are so close Microsoft, so close! :/
I remembered there is GloSC, so I installed that, but same thing. Ironically GloSC supports UWP games, but that doesn't work either because The Surge is win32 😂
I got UWPHook to work with the win32 games, but Steam Controller support wasn’t good.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Ascheroth you can try changing the security permissions of the folder and/or changing the owner. If it's WIn32 then Steam should be able to run it afterwards. (It sucks that ReCore is UWP, both for controller support and screenshots)

Anoregon

Dec 21, 2018
I'm still not 100% sold on this but it's definitely something I could seem myself using. Although playing video games is one of my primary hobbies, I don't actually buy a whole lot of games. A service like this gives me easy access to stuff I would probably never get around to playing.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Ascheroth you can try changing the security permissions of the folder and/or changing the owner. If it's WIn32 then Steam should be able to run it afterwards. (It sucks that ReCore is UWP, both for controller support and screenshots)
I've successfully taken over the folder but I can't change the permission for the exe. Welp.

For screenshots you can activate gamebar and give it a Screenshot shortcup (the default is weird), those then show up in the Xbox Companion App and can be uploaded. Nights and day above egs and Origin. (dunno about uplay). Though no screenshots from a controller, yeah.
(So weird that Microsoft hasn't figured that out).

ReCore looks nice. I really like the art design.

Arkanius

Dec 21, 2018
I subscribed as well

Downloaded Metro Exodus (lmao) and ABZU
ABZU ran like a charm, Metro Exodus... did not. I had problems loggign to Xbox Live and then, the configurations do not stick.

Things I want for the store:

1. A Big Picture Mode that is controller friendly
  2. A way to add shortcuts to Steam
  3. A better download manager
  4. Specify different drives for different games
  5. An easy way to check Achievements
I disabled Gamebar, not sure if there are some functionality that is hidden there (e.g Achievements)

On a later note:

FUCK EPIC

Can't believe MS is better for consumers right now

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Add another one to the tally on EGS "Exclusives" on PC Game Pass:
I can't stop grinning.
Now bring shenmu 3 and it will be a total win.

I subscribed as well

ABZU ran like a charm, Metro Exodus... did not. I had problems loggign to Xbox Live and then, the configurations do not stick.

Things I want for the store:

1. A Big Picture Mode that is controller friendly
  2. A way to add shortcuts to Steam
  3. A better download manager
  4. Specify different drives for different games
  5. An easy way to check Achievements
I disabled Gamebar, not sure if there are some functionality that is hidden there (e.g Achievements)

On a later note:

FUCK EPIC

Can't believe MS is better for consumers right now
Game Bar is mostly their recording service, nothing lost there imo.

You should actually be asked where you want to install games above 10gb...
Under 10gb games need to be moved after installation, which sucks.

And yes, this is a weird reality where Microsoft is at least trying to not suck 100%.
Still flawed and a lot of work ahead of them but they are at least doing something.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
You have to change install locations in settings every time you want to install somewhere else. For me it just defaulted to where I installed the two first ones. A lot of things need improvement. Took way to long to hook up with a buddy in SOD2. That may be SOD2 faults though as Astroneer and SoT worked flawlessly.

Also how do I add UWP games to RTSS?

Reactions: xinek

hankenta

Dec 9, 2018
Have anyone else tried playing Slay the Spire? I have a change issue with this version of the game and the DS4 controller. The left and right stick are reversed, it thinks the triggers are start and select, A B and X are all mixed up, while Y is still correct for some reason.

While writing this I discovered it's all messed up in The Messenger as well. But it's correct in Void Bastards.

Also this is both with and without DS4 support enabled in Steam. This wouldn't be a problem if I could add the games to Steam, but you know...

Last edited:

ScreamingTrees

Dec 12, 2018
You should actually be asked where you want to install games above 10gb...
Under 10gb games need to be moved after installation, which sucks.
I thought that too but you can change it. If you download the game through the Microsoft Store it asks you which drive you want to install to. Through the Xbox app, you can change the installation drive in settings - set a new default drive before choosing to install a new game.

Reactions: ISee

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Subbed to gamepass and the first thing I played was Gears of War lol. Honestly, for as basic as it is now, you can still see how ahead of its time it really was.

Then it crashed. This insider windows version 190x is giving me a lot of issues with football manager steam version.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I subscribed as well

The graphics config did not stick for me as well, which was annoying because the game takes like a minute or two to confirm the changes.

Plus the whole "game does not save your progress" dilemma, which seems to be wider spread as a few folks over on Era had the same problem. Sadly I am not in the mood to replay the first (rather weak) hours of the game. So Exodus will remain the first Metro game I won't finish at all.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I can finally update my Windows and the XBox app. It looks slick and I'm liking it.

Is there some F2P games that I can try in the store before committing with the Gamepass? I couldn't find a way to search games by tags or sections.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
I can finally update my Windows and the XBox app. It looks slick and I'm liking it.

Is there some F2P games that I can try in the store before committing with the Gamepass? I couldn't find a way to search games by tags or sections.
Please update here if you can buy Gamepass. I've tried since launch and always get an error when make payment.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Please update here if you can buy Gamepass. I've tried since launch and always get an error when make payment.
Where are you from?

Seems like the service is not available yet in some regions, mine included. But there are Gamepass code resellers out there and I'm planning to get one from one of them.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Where are you from?

Seems like the service is not available yet in some regions, mine included. But there are Gamepass code resellers out there and I'm planning to get one from one of them.
The same country as you lol. I want to try using Xbox gift card but the lowest that I can find are $15, too much.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Region settings also matter. I always have to change my region to Taiwan to just buy stuff from their store.
This works for Windows Store, but it always defaulted with no way to change it to USA when I'm buying Gamepass on the new Xbox Game app.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
The same country as you lol. I want to try using Xbox gift card but the lowest that I can find are $15, too much.
I see lol.

I found quite a few of Gamepass code resellers at "BL" and "Tokoijo", just check them out. One of them are selling a month pass for 60K IDR.

This works for Windows Store, but it always defaulted with no way to change it to USA when I'm buying Gamepass on the new Xbox Game app.
The app is still in beta and it shows. It keeps reverting my profile to the default even though I've already updated it with a new profile picture.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
You don't need to buy it through the beta app, windows store works fine. I can download through beta app after doing it too.

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
When I press "Sign In" the App just does refresh, any fixes for this?

hankenta

Dec 9, 2018
Controller input continues being super weird in Slay the Spire. The game thinks my left and right triggers are select and start, while select and start is the input for clicking in the sticks. Clicking the sticks are both another A button.
A is B
B is X
X is A
Y miraculously is Y
The triggers doesn't exist.

I tried Operencia: The Stolen Sun as well but that doesn't register the controller at all.

It's great seeing Microsoft and Epic swooping in to save PC gaming from Steam.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Subbed to gamepass and the first thing I played was Gears of War lol. Honestly, for as basic as it is now, you can still see how ahead of its time it really was.

Then it crashed. This insider windows version 190x is giving me a lot of issues with football manager steam version.
Loaded back Gears today and all my progress is gone. (It crashed in Act 2).

Great.

It's like being back in the dark ages of PC games.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So is game pass the only way to access all these games or can you also buy a la carte?

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
So is game pass the only way to access all these games or can you also buy a la carte?
You can buy a la carte, but game pass seems to give 20% discounts, even on non game pass games. If you want to buy something I'd recommend subscribing for 1€ to get the discount.

Reactions: Alextended