Opinion Your 1994 GOTY (DOOM II, Super Metroid, X-COM, FFVI, Donkey Kong Country)

Game of the Year 1994?

• DOOM II: Hell on Earth

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Super Metroid

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • X-COM/UFO: Enemy Unknown

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (& Knuckles)

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • System Shock

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Master of Magic

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Mega Man X

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Final Fantasy VI

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Little Big Adventure

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Beneath a Steel Sky

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey Kong Country

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Sensible World of Soccer

• The Elder Scrolls: Arena

• Theme Park

• Super Punch-Out!!

• Star Wars: Tie Fighter

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Jagged Alliance

• Wing Commander 3: Heart of the Tiger

• Sid Meier's Colonization

• Other

• Total voters
OP
Bonfires Down

Bonfires Down

Nov 18, 2019
I know many of you would like to be able to rank several games each year and so would I. Does anybody know of a poll creation site where say 3-4 options can be ranked and scored from a larger list and results can be shown immediately to participants? The forum poll does allow for multiple votes but no ranking. I’ve not been able find anything suitable and ultimately it’s just for fun so it doesn’t make sense to put too much effort into it.

Reactions: ISee

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I know many of you would like to be able to rank several games each year and so would I. Does anybody know of a poll creation site where say 3-4 options can be ranked and scored from a larger list and results can be shown immediately to participants? The forum poll does allow for multiple votes but no ranking. I’ve not been able find anything suitable and ultimately it’s just for fun so it doesn’t make sense to put too much effort into it.
Just tested it out and www.surveymonkey.com should have an option that works for you. I just figured it all out so there may be some tinkering you want to do but to help you out this is how I set things up:

And under Analyze Results click Customize and change this:

This is what the survey looks like: Best Games of 1995

And you can provide a link that people can go to afterwards to check the results: Best Games of 1995

Reactions: Bonfires Down

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
Damn, what a year in games that was. It's fun seeing the wide spread of games that are important to people here.

Voted Super Metroid because that's what I was playing 1994 and I routinely go back to it. I loved Metroid on NES (and still do). Lots of nostalgia for both Final Fantasy VI (Final Fantasy 3 back then on SNES), Earthbound and Illusion of Gaia.

Honorable mention to Ken Griffey Baseball on SNES! I used to play whole 162 game seasons with my dad over the course of months, which I have good memories of.

I played XCOM at a friends house back then, but bounced off it every time we tried to play it. Seemed like our kind of thing with soldiers and some management, but we'd always get our asses kicked or have no idea what we were doing. The funny thing is, that's exactly how I felt when I played Firaxis' Enemy Unknown reboot, and exactly how I felt when XCOM2 released. Bounced off, ignored it forever, bounced again, and again, and then it clicks and I'm obsessed with it and put hundreds of hours into each.

Same with Civ 2 back then and again with Civ 5 (I still hate Civ6) - hated them a few times, then played for a thousand hours. I would've loved OG XCOM if I stuck to it (and to Terror from the Deep where, uh, same thing happened). I don't know what's wrong with me and those games.

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
That's just around the time my family got an Amiga500 and my uncle a Windows PC. He lived clos by, so I went there often and played - or more looked behind cousin's shoulder playing lol. Remember being impressed by WinPC games.
Think it was Tie Fighter that I really enjoyed. That's my choice.

OP
Bonfires Down

Bonfires Down

Nov 18, 2019
Just tested it out and www.surveymonkey.com should have an option that works for you. I just figured it all out so there may be some tinkering you want to do but to help you out this is how I set things up:

And under Analyze Results click Customize and change this:

This is what the survey looks like: Best Games of 1995

And you can provide a link that people can go to afterwards to check the results: Best Games of 1995
Thank you. With weighted averages I guess it's only possible to have a score range of 1 to 3 or similar?

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Thank you. With weighted averages I guess it's only possible to have a score range of 1 to 3 or similar?
I just did top three. You can have people rank however many you want. If you look in the second image that's where I have the columns labeled First, Second, and Third Place. Just add more columns for however many you want people to be able to rank.

Also, I don't show it in the images but there's a spot (I believe Options in the first image) that you can set something to require people use all rankings you have set (so if there's five they must pick something for all five) or allow them to freely decide to rank any of them and still submit (so someone could rank a second place and third place and leave the rest all blank if they wanted).

There's essentially options to do anything you want. Just make sure that you weight first place to the highest value and the last rank to the lowest value or you'll get opposite results.

OP
Bonfires Down

Bonfires Down

Nov 18, 2019
I just did top three. You can have people rank however many you want. If you look in the second image that's where I have the columns labeled First, Second, and Third Place. Just add more columns for however many you want people to be able to rank.

Also, I don't show it in the images but there's a spot (I believe Options in the first image) that you can set something to require people use all rankings you have set (so if there's five they must pick something for all five) or allow them to freely decide to rank any of them and still submit (so someone could rank a second place and third place and leave the rest all blank if they wanted).

There's essentially options to do anything you want. Just make sure that you weight first place to the highest value and the last rank to the lowest value or you'll get opposite results.
Right, I meant that at the result screen the lowest score a game can have is 1 and the highest score is 3, no matter how many votes it gets (as far as I understand). The games would still be ranked in the correct order, but it does feel confusing.

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Right, I meant that at the result screen the lowest score a game can have is 1 and the highest score is 3, no matter how many votes it gets (as far as I understand). The games would still be ranked in the correct order, but it does feel confusing.
Yeah, though I guess I do see the problem and I'm seeing if I can find an option to make it work correctly. I guess how I thought it would work is that it would total up all the weighted scores and divide by participants. But it doesn't seem to do that. Instead if something isn't in the top three it doesn't get a score of zero, it just acts like it isn't part of the average. So a game getting a score of 3 by being picked as first place by a single person and then being ignored by everyone means it would end with a perfect score of 3 when instead it should be 3/Number of Participants. If 12 people did the survey it should be 0.25.

I'll keep toying with it or maybe you can figure it out. I'd have to imagine there's a way to make this work.

Bonfires Down It's not elegant and requires a bit of an honor system but the only way I can get the scoring to work properly is to create one additional column for "Not Ranked" and turn off the option saying for "Forced ranking (one answer per column)". It does mean someone could rank multiple games (or all!) as First Place but if we trust everyone would follow the rules you could do that to have them mark first, second, and third, and the rest all in the Not Ranked column which would have a weight of zero. That way every single row gets a score (0-3) from every participant and so when it does the average it pulls from total participants instead of just from the amount that selected it as a first, second, or third ranked option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonfires Down

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
I grew up with more than half of the games on this list and I can't possibly pick one because, they're all equally important to me as a foundation of my personality and everything man

I'll pick Doom II without hesitations, with Heretic next to it. I couldn't stop playing these two

Last edited:
OP
Bonfires Down

Bonfires Down

Nov 18, 2019
Bonfires Down It's not elegant and requires a bit of an honor system but the only way I can get the scoring to work properly is to create one additional column for "Not Ranked" and turn off the option saying for "Forced ranking (one answer per column)". It does mean someone could rank multiple games (or all!) as First Place but if we trust everyone would follow the rules you could do that to have them mark first, second, and third, and the rest all in the Not Ranked column which would have a weight of zero. That way every single row gets a score (0-3) from every participant and so when it does the average it pulls from total participants instead of just from the amount that selected it as a first, second, or third ranked option.
Thank you for the effort. I'm not quite sold on the system yet but I'll keep it in mind.
Once this is finished we should vote for the best year in gaming. I think this one is a strong contender tbh.
I'll probably do a Year of the Decade poll once we get there.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee and lashman