Community Are you on a diet, MetaCouncil?

Guilty of Being

META MAN
Dec 5, 2018
Texas
I’m on day three of Keto. God, I missed it!*

deftones r cool, as odd as it sounds, I look at your picture often because I find it inspirational. Yeah, I can see transformation pictures everywhere... but seeing a friend’s transformation is different, even though I haven’t met you in person. Lastly, Deftones are the best. Period.

*I know the struggle is coming. ;)
I hope I have the mental fortitude to start my diet soon u_u
I can give up carbs and sweets... I just miss my beer!

Reactions: PossiblyPudding

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
Not sure how much it will help folks considering I really didn't have a set diet and I really should have included these in my original post, but I'll share a couple old pics of my progress. To at least show that once something finally clicks and you're able to keep it going you'll find the weight coming off without really thinking about it.

And one more with just the one pic.

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
Been gaining weight apparently, and it sure as hell ain't muscle. Fuck, I'm pissed. That's it - from now on it's just veggies, meat, and eggs.

Stairmaster every night because fuck me.

This shit ends now. Why can't I just live a normal life like everyone else? People seem so content.

Stupid desk job.

Reactions: Ex-User (307)

Guilty of Being

META MAN
Dec 5, 2018
Texas
What's your daily diet like fam?

I'm taking notes
I’d say my main staples are: eggs, butter, breakfast sausage, bacon, avocados, sour cream, cheese, hot sauce, pork rinds, pepperoni, olives, tuna, water, coffee, chorizo, spinach, broccoli, ground beef, salad, etc. Basically, I dodge carbs and sugar. I only eat when I’m hungry, so I don't count calories or anything.

Last edited:

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
I’d say my main staples are: eggs, butter, breakfast sausage, bacon, avocados, sour cream, cheese, hot sauce, pork rinds, pepperoni, olives, tuna, water, coffee, chorizo, spinach, broccoli, ground beef, salad, etc. Basically, I dodge carbs and sugar. I only eat when I’m hungry, so I don't count calories or anything.
Sounds like you've found a good mix of stuff that's working for you. Nice job! (y)

And like Naroh said a few posts ago, you've got this! :blobcheer:

Reactions: Guilty of Being

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019
rock on my friend. have you discovered the wonders of bullet proof coffee yet? Add a little MCT Oil and Heavy Whipping Cream to that morning joe and you have a nice breakfast replacement

also mo'fuckin egg cups

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019
Y'all hitting the gym on the regular?

I'm tryna do 20 mins on the stairmaster at my local planet fitness every night - 60 steps a minute minimum = 1200 steps a night***

Then I hit up the chest and leg press, then the row machine

do my kettlebell swings and fool around with pull-ups/push-ups on my iron gym at home

i want so badly to "shape up"

there's gotta be a key to all this

*** Anyways, yeah I'm on this damn stairmaster and like after 10 minutes my calves are mooing and im absolutely drenched in sweat every time, not even halfway through, and all this sweat is just dripping off my face, and i have no hair to soak it up so the steps look like i spilled spurts of water all over them by the time my 20 minutes is through. i had no idea the stairmaster was so intensive. that might be my key to losing this 15/20 lbs. burns like 200 calories total. i'm never eating again.

Last edited:

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Yes. I have tried various diets. The problem is, I eat whatever I want and work out, or I don't work out and diet. Rarely do I do both.

I've done low-carb (South Beach) before. It's effective in the first two weeks, but the sugar withdrawal is severe. I NEED MY FRUITS!!!

Now I'm doing intermittent fasting. You're supposed to do 500 calories/day when you fast, and I do twice per week. But I'd go all day without eating and be HALTing by the end of the day. Plus, I did it for like four months and only lost ten pounds.

I stopped and gained it back.

Now I'm doing intermittent fasting again, but spreading the calories through the day. So I'll have a hot chocolate for breakfast, a pair of clementines for lunch, and a can of salmon/tuna/chicken for dinner. Has to be protein or I will be hungry. I lost five pounds doing that, and then went on vacation. Now I have to get back on the horse starting Tuesday.

I'm 5'7 and 230 lbs, built like a cinderblock. I'd like to get down to 190, which was my athlete weight in HS, but IDK if that's even possible. I'm 35, married, and with kids who like to eat pizza every Friday and tacos/nachos every Tuesday.

I have never seen a married man with kids who works 8 hours per day with a six pack

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
Yes. I have tried various diets. The problem is, I eat whatever I want and work out, or I don't work out and diet. Rarely do I do both.

I've done low-carb (South Beach) before. It's effective in the first two weeks, but the sugar withdrawal is severe. I NEED MY FRUITS!!!

Now I'm doing intermittent fasting. You're supposed to do 500 calories/day when you fast, and I do twice per week. But I'd go all day without eating and be HALTing by the end of the day. Plus, I did it for like four months and only lost ten pounds.

I stopped and gained it back.

Now I'm doing intermittent fasting again, but spreading the calories through the day. So I'll have a hot chocolate for breakfast, a pair of clementines for lunch, and a can of salmon/tuna/chicken for dinner. Has to be protein or I will be hungry. I lost five pounds doing that, and then went on vacation. Now I have to get back on the horse starting Tuesday.

I'm 5'7 and 230 lbs, built like a cinderblock. I'd like to get down to 190, which was my athlete weight in HS, but IDK if that's even possible. I'm 35, married, and with kids who like to eat pizza every Friday and tacos/nachos every Tuesday.

I have never seen a married man with kids who works 8 hours per day with a six pack

THIS! I tried to do 8 hours of work, then life in general and add gym to it but it basically made my body so stressed out that my blood pressure went haywire and I started to almost pass out everywhere. Decided I'd do life as me instead and not stress out about my weight unless it starts to really inhibit my life.

My wife fasts and it works for her but I work 3 shifts so I can't really set any timetable for my eats.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
THIS! I tried to do 8 hours of work, then life in general and add gym to it but it basically made my body so stressed out that my blood pressure went haywire and I started to almost pass out everywhere. Decided I'd do life as me instead and not stress out about my weight unless it starts to really inhibit my life.

My wife fasts and it works for her but I work 3 shifts so I can't really set any timetable for my eats.
I resent the whole "dad bod" thing, but I understand now. Very difficult to eat right, hit the gym all the time, while also maintaining healthy relationships with family, let alone friends, AND balancing a career.

The gym would basically have to be your hobby instead of gaming, fishing, working on cars, or whatever.

Reactions: Nahkapukki

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019
Are you sure that's not just a normal diet? Doesn't sound like IF to me.

Don't you have to do like a solid window without eating to make your body metabolize differently?

I could never do IF because I'm pretty sure even coffee will throw it off. Anything but water.

I just got done eating some black coffee w/ MCT oil and steak and eggs. I love using my bean grinder and french press.

Keto is fine, but like you said, fruit is missed.

The gym would basically have to be your hobby instead of gaming, fishing, working on cars, or whatever.
My ultimate goal. R.I.P. me, my body dysmorphia, and my insecurities...

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Are you sure that's not just a normal diet? Doesn't sound like IF to me.

Don't you have to do like a solid window without eating to make your body metabolize differently?

I could never do IF because I'm pretty sure even coffee will throw it off. Anything but water.

I just got done eating some black coffee w/ MCT oil and steak and eggs. I love using my bean grinder and french press.

Keto is fine, but like you said, fruit is missed.

My ultimate goal. R.I.P. me, my body dysmorphia, and my insecurities...

There are different forms of IF. Like I said, on days I'm "fasting" you're supposed to consume only 500 calories.

There's also IF where you fast for 16 hours and eat for 8. I wasn't losing any weight that way because I grew up skipping breakfast because too lazy to make it myself.

Whatever "diet" I'm on, I absolutely must have fruit. So, this is where I am now.

Reactions: teezzy

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
FWIW (not much), I lost my 50+ pounds without working out and it’s been fine.

I do think that having a family would have made the whole process much harder though for sure. CICO is relatively easy actually, but if you have a spouse cooking for you (or you for the spouse), it gets much harder. I don’t think I ate an actual home-cooked meal until about four months into my diet, which would be nigh impossible if I had a wife and kids.
When I'm on my fasting days (though it should be "severe caloric reduction day" but I guess "fasting" is easier to say), my wife makes fun of me by calling my canned salmon "cat food."

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019
Steak and eggs are so fucking good, man.

Like I could probably chill just eating steak, eggs, plain baked potatoes w/ hotsauce, cottage cheese, and avocados for the rest of my life.

That's gotta be healthy right? What am I missing? Sardines? Like what if I only ate superfoods? Sardines, eggs... ummm yams? Lmfao

I won a $15 Taco Bell gift card at work in a raffle today. The food I got made me feel so filthy tbh. I've been eating healthy for too long.
Seriously though, you guys ever just watch what other people eat all day?

It's crazy. So much garbage. My metabolism must be horrendous or something, I should be a little twig boy.

Reactions: NarohDethan
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Just tried greek yogurth for dinner (and for the first time ever). It tastes a bit shit but not as bad as I thought. Maybe with a little honey or maple syrup on it?

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
Just tried greek yogurth for dinner (and for the first time ever). It tastes a bit shit but not as bad as I thought. Maybe with a little honey or maple syrup on it?
Do you know the fat content? If it was fat free it can be incredibly bitter at first, almost sour cream like. 2% is a little more tolerable if it's your first time and yeah, you can always add a little something to help with the taste. I still occasionally use fruit, dried fruit and/or granola.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Do you know the fat content? If it was fat free it can be incredibly bitter at first, almost sour cream like. 2% is a little more tolerable if it's your first time and yeah, you can always add a little something to help with the taste. I still occasionally use fruit, dried fruit and/or granola.
It was this one.

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
It was this one.
Ah, okay. Chobani is a pretty good one. Their's isn't quite as thick as some other brands, so it does make it easier to mix stuff like honey or maple syrup into like you mentioned.

But yeah, that 0.5 probably still had that incredibly bitter taste. Thankfully it shouldn't take too long to get used to at least.

Edit: And I'm glad you're giving it a shot! It's one of my go to meals most days since it can be surprisingly filling. :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Ah, okay. Chobani is a pretty good one. Their's isn't quite as thick as some other brands, so it does make it easier to mix stuff like honey or maple syrup into like you mentioned.

But yeah, that 0.5 probably still had that incredibly bitter taste. Thankfully it shouldn't take too long to get used to at least.
I put some granola on it, and a friend suggested to me to put a bit of stevia in there too.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Plain yogurt is gross.

Always needs a flavor. Even French vanilla.
Actually I had one from HEB today, vanilla flavored. It tasted delicious but at the added cost of 64kcal of sugar (120 kcal in total for the 150g yogurt).

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
My stomach has been a fucking mess lately x.x

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Is it normal to not tolerate white bread as you get older? I had a white bread sandwich today, after three days of normal stomach conditions, and today I returned to bad digestion.

Burning Justice

Jul 21, 2019
I was. I used to be obese, and I had been for as long as I could remember. My diet was pretty terrible, I ate a ton of stuff like bread and cheese and also ate way more than I needed to. That went on until about a year ago, when I went to the doctor for a completely unrelated reason and ended up finding out my blood sugar was higher than normal, and if I continued on the way I was going I'd have diabetes. That made me realize I needed to make changes.

It was difficult at first, but I took it slow and I eventually managed to make considerable changes to my diet. First I drastically cut back on the amount of food I was eating. I would feel somewhat hungry when I went to bed for the first couple weeks, but after that I got used to it. Then I stopped drinking juice and soda completely, which was surprisingly easy. After that I started to slowly add vegetables and reduce carbs in my diet. This was the hardest part for me, since I never liked vegetables much and I used to hardly ever eat them at all, but I started trying some new ones and I ended up finding a few I liked. And I also started exercising every day.

My blood sugar returned to normal about 6 months after I started, and I ended up losing more than 100 pounds in about 10 months, As of about a month ago I'm finally at a normal weight. I've now started to increase the amount of food I'm eating to maintain my weight, but I plan to stick with the new foods I'm eating for the rest of my life. I don't want to ever go back to my old diet.

Last edited:

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
My blood sugar returned to normal about 6 months after I started, and I ended up losing more than 100 pounds in about 10 months, As of about a month ago I'm finally at a normal weight. I've now started to increase the amount of food I'm eating to maintain my weight, but I plan to stick with the new foods I'm eating for the rest of my life. I don't want to ever go back to my old diet.
That's awesome! Congrats! :blobcheer:

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
This week I modified my diet, now it consisted of spring mix salad three days, 1 day of chicken breast with a shit ton of vegetables, and tuna. And I had an egg and veggie omelette for dinner some days or a cup of greek yogurth with a bit of granola.

At least my stomach isnt imploding anymore.

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
Nothing bad happened!
Yay! Glad to hear it. And it never hurts to treat yourself once in a while. I know I still do from time to time. :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

In fact I probably should more often.. discovered I'm trending towards an unhealthy weight, just in the opposite direction this time.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Yay! Glad to hear it. And it never hurts to treat yourself once in a while. I know I still do from time to time. :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

In fact I probably should more often.. discovered I'm trending towards an unhealthy weight, just in the opposite direction this time.
Get dat pizza!

I've been eating a lot of (frozen) veggies. Like, everyday for the first time.

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019
I've been packing $$$ away due to some major purchases I'm saving up for including a camera, a larger vehicle, and some major upgrades to my PC for more efficient video editing. As a result, I've been eating little else other than eggs, tuna, kale, frozen broccoli, and cottage cheese. I don't buy food for work, and just eat breakfast and dinner. Only food I really splurge on is coffee. It's lowered my grocery bill enormously, and I've yet to get tired of these foods.

Not technically keto, not technically IF, but so far, it seems to have gotten my metabolism back in business. Down from 175 to 171 within a week or so. Hopefully I can continue this trend, and it's not just simple water weight. Still paying $10 a month for the local gym, but I just threw my back out while garbage picking that recliner, wrestling it into my Honda Civic before I called my bud for emergency assistance.

I really would love to kill off a solid 15 - 20 lbs total. I'd been edging out of my Medium shirts, and f**** me if I can afford a new wardrobe.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Good to hear dude.
I've been binging on frozen veggies, frozen broccolli (ocassionally fresh), a shit ton of chicken, eggs, sausages, cheese and yogurth. Managed to keep carbs at minimum. About 3 cups of coffee a day, barely any soda, I ocassionally eat a packet of cookes. I also try to eat one of those salad kits twice a week, usually spring mix plus spinachs.

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019
NarohDethan That rules! All those are excellent staples, and very healthy if you're doing low carb.

The trick is to make your diet so strict that being on a regular diet feels like cheating! :LOL: I "splurge" on things like avocados, chicken breast, and sweet potatoes. Oooh what a naughty man I yam.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
NarohDethan That rules! All those are excellent staples, and very healthy if you're doing low carb.

The trick is to make your diet so strict that being on a regular diet feels like cheating! :LOL: I "splurge" on things like avocados, chicken breast, and sweet potatoes. Oooh what a naughty man I yam.
I do have a cheat day. Last sunday I ate McDonalds, but heh, it was so fucking nasty I didn't enjoy it, so I wont do that again.

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019
Haha yeah, I'm always so tempted by the junk food at gas stations. I just know how deep that feeling of regret is though if I were to eat that ****.

My boss told me about 'Mississippi Pot Roast"' the other day. That might be my weekend treat. Dear lord does it sound amazing, and it's low carb af if I skip the mashed potatoes or subsitute with another veggie. Ranch dressing seasoning on a pot roast - dear lord.

Mississippi Pot Roast {The BEST Pot Roast EVER}