Community Backlog Blitz Season 17 - Runs October 1 through December 31 with a cash prize raffle at the end

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Currently playing Marvel's Avengers. If it wasn't that the game is so much around missions, gachas and such crap around the story mode, the game could be fun to play. Now it's just side missions here and there and do x in y number of times to gain ranks for factions, change equipment multiple times in a single mission and many other things that interrupts the story campaign...

Finding the story campaign wasn't easy. I did the mistake by starting another mode which I thought was the story mode, it kinda spoiler a few things for me, but whatever... It took me an hour to find the story missions....
Anyway, I try to just play the story missions and do as minimal as possible the side missions. But the collector addict that I am I have to go around and find collectible items >.<

Reactions: KainXVIII

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Finally. 1 down. had to save scum in an emulator, but I did it. Not a bad Brawler/action game, but definitely feels like its mechanics are from that generation of games.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Finished the main story campaign in Marvel's Avengers. That will be the fourth game finished for this blitz season. Only one game left and that is the third game in Trails in the Sky

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Finished my final games in these last few weeks:
- Unsighted: Very good snes style zelda-like with a time limit gimmick where every NPC and yourself are on a finite timer that kills the character if it runs out, potentially locking you out of quests, shops, etc. There are a few items hidden throughout the world that extends that time limit for a given character but you'll have to make choices about who to spare and who to let die. I'm not a big fan of time limits in games, I have to deal with them in real life so the last thing I want is to also deal with them when I'm trying to escape it, so I disabled this feature, allowing me to explore freely. I can understand and respect what the devs were trying to do with the timers, and the hard choices it would force on the player, but it's not something I enjoy and thankfully there was an option to disable them.

- Chants of Sennar: This game is absolutely amazing. You play as an amnesiac hermit that's trying to ascend a tower and on each level there's a different race of people, with different customs and different languages which you need to learn in order to solve the puzzles and advance to the next level. There's a finite number of runes of each language that you can learn and you don't need to learn them all to advance, yet I had such an amazing time that I made sure I learned them all. There's also hidden side quests throughout the levels that feel like an "eureka" moment when you find and figure them. Top 5 game of the year easily.

Wibblewozzer just a heads up, the K10 cell doesn't animate in accordance with J10. Feels like a copy-paste gone wrong somewhere.

Reactions: KainXVIII and C-Dub
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Finished my final games in these last few weeks:
- Unsighted: Very good snes style zelda-like with a time limit gimmick where every NPC and yourself are on a finite timer that kills the character if it runs out, potentially locking you out of quests, shops, etc. There are a few items hidden throughout the world that extends that time limit for a given character but you'll have to make choices about who to spare and who to let die. I'm not a big fan of time limits in games, I have to deal with them in real life so the last thing I want is to also deal with them when I'm trying to escape it, so I disabled this feature, allowing me to explore freely. I can understand and respect what the devs were trying to do with the timers, and the hard choices it would force on the player, but it's not something I enjoy and thankfully there was an option to disable them.

- Chants of Sennar: This game is absolutely amazing. You play as an amnesiac hermit that's trying to ascend a tower and on each level there's a different race of people, with different customs and different languages which you need to learn in order to solve the puzzles and advance to the next level. There's a finite number of runes of each language that you can learn and you don't need to learn them all to advance, yet I had such an amazing time that I made sure I learned them all. There's also hidden side quests throughout the levels that feel like an "eureka" moment when you find and figure them. Top 5 game of the year easily.

Wibblewozzer just a heads up, the K10 cell doesn't animate in accordance with J10. Feels like a copy-paste gone wrong somewhere.
Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, something got screwy with the conditional formatting that messed up several things so I got all taken care of that I noticed. I clicked around and it looks like all cells should be fixed now but definitely let me know if you come across any other funkiness.

Reactions: kio and KainXVIII

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
Finished Arx Fatalis and my backlog blitz is done early :Kain_weendance:

For anybody who want to play this game too, don't be me and just install Arx Libertatis mod (you will lose fake bump-mapping and some surround sound effects, but gain a lot of QoL features and just more smoother experience)

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I started Adventures of Shuggy!

I also swapped Lost Vikings to The Swindle. I have a feeling that Blizzard is going to put that Arcade Collection on Steam any day now so might as well play Lost Vikings through that once it happens.

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Just finished Syberia 3. Compared to the original games the tone is all over the place and the puzzles that require you to use the mouse to simulate rotation are a PITA. Its also way easier than the old games because hotspots are automatically highlighted when you are close. There are several trial and error puzzles without any clue how to proceed. I would recommend with caution. I think I'll play the DLC next before tackling the final game.

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
The Syberia 3 DLC is the most blatant case of cut content from the base game I've ever seen. It uses an entirely optional area found in the base game that lacked any interactivity, it barely adds anything to the narrative and it lasts around 30 minutes.

That should it for the 4th game of this season.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I finished Trails in the Sky the 3rd yesterday. That will be the my fifth game for this season and also the final chapter in the series :)
Next will be the Crossbell games, once I have bought them in the future :)

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finished The Swindle.
Liked it, maybe more than I expected even. Some annoyances that come with their chosen roguelite style where a runs are fairly long and it's hard to judge if the run is still viable halfway through or whatever, but that's the game I guess. Good music.

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Hmm, does The Avengers game have a structured narrative/progression? So far I feel like I'm jumping from mission to mission without any endgame in sight.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Hmm, does The Avengers game have a structured narrative/progression? So far I feel like I'm jumping from mission to mission without any endgame in sight.
I know it's been patched so it's a bit tough to recall what stuff they changed but it should have a fairly obvious campaign largely accessed from the war table once you get far enough into the game for it. Looks like they added more to the War Table with a redesign but you should still find story missions on there. I believe they might be labeled as "Avengers Initiative"? Looked up some screenshots and I see that on at least one of them that shows the UI well enough. Never mind, it's called "Reassemble" and make sure you went into it on the main menu correctly or maybe you're in the non-campaign section? Should be under Operations on the main menu.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Saw credits in Adventures of Shuggy. Still some cleanup to do on the main game and I guess Teleporting Troubles is some kind of level pack, so I'll do that as well, but credits rolled so for the blitz I consider it done.
Also there's some co-op levels but I don't think I'm touching those.

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Finished The Avengers campaign and that should be the last game of this season.

Decent game that may feel repetitive if you keep grinding the same character. Early game some characters feel way more powerful than others, I dont know if that changes in the end game.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I'm doing a last minute change and swapping in Verbal Edge and Afterimage to replace Alundra and Trine 3.
Better hurry!

This is a good reminder to everyone that there are only five days left of the Blitz! Clean up those games and be ready for a fresh start in 2024!

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I'm five for five on this one, having finished Super Mario Bros. Wonder last week.

Already got an idea of what my Q1 2024 Blitz is going to look like. Probably going to be The Expanse: A Telltale Series, ghostpia Season One, System Shock, The Talos Principle 2 and one more game I've yet to decide on.

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
I should've played Freedom Fighters a long time ago, I think its a lock for next season. Hellblade and the last Leisure Suit Larry should be part of it too.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
New tab has been added and I'll move it into the primary spot tomorrow after the raffle drawing and thread creation. You're welcome to go in early and put your next Blitz games in and list them here but be prepared to repost them tomorrow when I make the new thread.

And this is the final reminder to get all your games finished and updated on the current spreadsheet!

• Hug
Reactions: C-Dub and Cacher

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I've already begun my next Blitz - will talk more about my choices once the new thread is open.

Thanks for keeping these going for another year, Wibblewozzer - I find it really fun to set myself a backlog goal every few months.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
A winner has been selected for this season that's come to a close. Congrats to The_Inquisitor who takes part through Discord but isn't signed up for the site. I let him know over there about his win and will post here what his prize selection was if he wishes to share it. He got the win for completing New Tales from the Borderlands. Feel free to share congrats here or if you share a server with him share the congrats with him on Discord.

I'll get the new thread up shortly. Congrats to everyone for clearing more backlog games and time for five more games!
New thread is up: Community - Backlog Blitz Season 18 - Runs January 1 through March 31 with a cash prize raffle at the end

Last edited: